Menu

Harlem Shake: Am I the only one who doesn't get the fascination?

mommylawyer

I've heard of it but, until a few minutes ago, had never seen it. My husband, of all people - the guy who used to shun pop culture - practically made fun of me at dinner, in front of our children, mind you, because I had no clue what the Harlem Shake is. So he showed me. He and our children found it hilarious. I found it tedious and stupid.

Maybe I'm turning into an old fuddy-duddy. Maybe it's because I'm 37 weeks pregnant and just don't care about anything.

By the way, I don't get Gangnam Style either...

I think it's the combination of being just silly and fun and participatory. Any group anywhere can get together and brainstorm and be creative together to make their own Harlem Shake video.

It's not like I log on to my computer each day just panting to see what new video has been posted, but I'll admit to wasting more than a few minutes watching and giggling.

I think it is fun, funny, and playful.

Life is too short to spend energy "not getting" the Harlem Shake.

Yes, why analyze everything. It is a mindless fun dance that is being done by celebrities like sports player. Dumb, fun, ...like the Bernie.(weekend at Bernie's)

Odd that cupcakes and kilts are amusing though to throw off thread after thread.

See, I am the opposite. I think life is too short to spend a single second on something so ridiculous. To each his own I suppose.

I admit that I am pretty bored with kilts and cupcakes, too. My dh says I am a tough audience. :)

I only heard about it when a video of people doing it onboard an inflight airplane made news.

I think the whole thing is silly, but to have a bunch of people dancing in the aisle of a moving plane is just insane. Obviously none of those people ever watch "Air Crash Investigation".

See, I am the opposite. I think life is too short to spend a single second on something so ridiculous. To each his own I suppose.

I admit that I am pretty bored with kilts and cupcakes, too. My dh says I am a tough audience. :)

Aren't we thankful that if someone would like to spend their time "getting" the Harlem Shake they can? And likewise, those of us who would rather pull out our eyelashes can do that instead?

I don't get it. I don't care to get it. I'm not old, nor am I pregnant. I just don't see a redeeming quality there. :confused1:

Having said that, for those who like it :thumbup1: to you.

Guest inoubliable

I'd never heard of it until this thread.

I looked it up on Youtube. I don't get it. It looked like people dry humping the air.

Weird.

I looked it up on Youtube. I don't get it. It looked like people dry humping the air.

Weird.

That's what they said in the video of the history behind the real Harlem Shake- people in Harlem were not impressed.

Me- Harlem shake is :001_rolleyes: insert nice word for dumb

Gangnam style on the other hand is :willy_nilly: :banghead: OMG- I cant stand it! Stupid, stupid, stupid. Actually, I would probably feel this way about the shake, but it is overshadowed by gangnam- ick!

I avoid anything surrounded by hype (I've never read Harry Potter, or watched or read Twilight or Hunger Games). I read reviews to stay culturally 'in touch' but don't waste my time with things everyone is doing just because everyone is doing. I have seen a few minutes of the gangnam video, but not the Harlem Shake. I do know that doing it underground in an Australian mine is a bad, bad idea though.

I've heard of it but, until a few minutes ago, had never seen it. My husband, of all people - the guy who used to shun pop culture - practically made fun of me at dinner, in front of our children, mind you, because I had no clue what the Harlem Shake is. So he showed me. He and our children found it hilarious. I found it tedious and stupid.

Maybe I'm turning into an old fuddy-duddy. Maybe it's because I'm 37 weeks pregnant and just don't care about anything.

By the way, I don't get Gangnam Style either...

I could have written your post word for word. I don't get all of these stupid things. I honestly think it's all ridiculous. Yes, I'm turning into a fuddy duddy also, but my thoughts are always Why?

I find it a fun way to "bond" with my teens. We have spent a number of fun evenings doing these dances and watching the stupid videos and laughing! But, then, we also have a TON of photos on one vacation where my kids spent a lot of time planking! I think it's hilarious!

Weird.

Yes and - according to the compilation of the "best" videos - doing so surrounded by very bored looking friends. And then everyone's clothes fall off and they're flailing around in their underthings.

How very.

I could have written your post word for word. I don't get all of these stupid things. I honestly think it's all ridiculous. Yes, I'm turning into a fuddy duddy also, but my thoughts are always Why?

Because some people think it's fun? Because (unless one is on an airplane or in a mine) it's harmless? Because some of us make time for silliness and goofy joy in our lives? Because there's nothing wrong with making people laugh?

Eh. It's not a big deal to me one way or the other. But, while others may not "get" silly fads, what I find much more mystifying is the need to spend energy knocking the fads and the people who enjoy them.

Gangnam style on the other hand is :willy_nilly: :banghead: OMG- I cant stand it! Stupid, stupid, stupid. Actually, I would probably feel this way about the shake, but it is overshadowed by gangnam- ick!

I'm curious what you actually know about Gangnam Style (the original song)? When you dismiss it as "stupid, stupid, stupid," are you referring to the parody/social criticism of the original song or the silly dance moves that have made their way into pop culture across multiple countries? I do think the distinction matters.

Guest inoubliable

Yes and - according to the compilation of the "best" videos - doing so surrounded by very bored looking friends. And then everyone's clothes fall off and they're flailing around in their underthings.

How very.

Yeaahhhh. I tried to watch a few videos because I kept thinking at each one that I must not have the right video. No. They were all like that. WTH? Weird.

I did like Gagnam Style, though. For some reason, that cracked me up. And then College Humor put out Romney Style and that just made it all the more hilarious, IMO.

The men in my house think all that kind of stuff is hilarious. They also crack themselves up over song parady videos created by horrible singers. I don't see the humor in any of them and chalk it up to the Y factor. I tell them they have plenty of time during the day when Mom isn't home to watch the absurd so at least I'm not frequently subjected to it.

I've heard of it but haven't watched it yet.

Edited to add: this one was kinda funny. Maybe I am weird.

I had never heard of it before this thread and after watching a few on youtube, I must say this was my favorite.

Just because I don't "get" something, I don't necessarily think it is stupid. There were many things that my parents didn't get when I was a teenager. I don't have teens yet, but I plan to learn to laugh with them over the silly things in life (like this!) when I'm there.

Does anyone know why this started to be so popular in the past few months? It seems to have been started back in the 1980's but I'd never heard of it until . . .maybe December? Was there someone famous who started the Harlem Shake back up?