Menu

Please settle our debate- Is Nutella healthy?

FlyingMOm

265 members have voted

1. 1. Is Nutella a healthy breakfast choice?

• Yes, of course!
    • No way- it's obviously bad for you.
    • eh- it's okay in moderation but not in excess. (excess= more than 2x a week)

I don't think in terms of an individual food being healthful or not, but rather one's diet as a whole.

A serving of nutella has roughly the same sugar content as the same amount of jam. I believe that either one can be part of a healthful breakfast. Either one could also be part of a very unhealthful breakfast.

I'm okay with it for an occasional treat, or even for breakfast spread on bread. Not an every day food, but neither is peanut butter. However, pb is much better. Comparing--

Nutella--2T

Fat: 12g (4g saturated)

Na: 15g

Sugar: 21g

Protein: 2g

Peanut Butter (Walmart brand, not a natural kind)--2T

Fat: 15g (2g saturated)

Na: 130mg

Sugar: 3g

Protein: 7g

I voted definitely not healthy. I think of Nutella as a dessert rather than a food. But then I'm not a Nutella devotee nor a chocolate lover.

ETA: Looks like Nutella is not much different than a poptart (which I also consider a dessert btw) nutrition-wise. If your breakfast food is typically poptarts or something along those lines then Nutella would fit right in.

It is way too high in sugar to be considered healthy. Would you eat a candy bar for breakfast, just because it contains nuts? But, I'm a firm believer in anything in moderation.

Yes I absolutely would....now would I feed the children a candy bar for breakfast, heck no...they are all for me!

It's a staple around here as well. We eat it on whole-wheat bread, and I don't think it's any worse than, say, toast with butter and jam or honey.

At least I can buy jam that is all-fruit without any added sugar. The jam we use (Trader Joe's Organic Superfruit) has only 8 g. sugar per Tbsp. and is 30 kcal vs. 21 g. of sugar and 200 kcal for Nutella. That's a huge difference in terms of nutrition.

I voted in moderation. When we lived in Germany my kids went to a DOD school. I got reprimanded for sending a peanut butter and nutella sandwich with my kinder to school. They said it was considered dessert. My thinking was it really is no different than jelly. I sent them anyway because I'm a rebel. LOL

I don't think in terms of an individual food being healthful or not, but rather one's diet as a whole.

A serving of nutella has roughly the same sugar content as the same amount of jam. I believe that either one can be part of a healthful breakfast. Either one could also be part of a very unhealthful breakfast.

This is a great thought. We would not do Nutella for breakfast (or any meal). But really, it is not worse than many things many people as part of a regular breakfast including sugared cereals, flavored yogurts, pastries, muffins, sweet bread, sweetened peanut butter, jam, syrup, etc. We actually don't regularly do any of the above at breakfast.

I spent a week with a family in France in high school as part of an exchange program. They fed me Nutella and hot chocolate every day. LOL! Vive la France!

Not healthy at all. Which is unfortunate, because it is delicious, but I can't see any way to rationalize it as anything other than a dessert treat. I saw a print ad for Nutella as a 'healthy' breakfast option in a magazine recently -- it may be been Family Fun? -- and used it as an opportunity to talk about advertising.

Now that I'm thinking about Nutella, I wish I had some in the house.

I voted healthy but I don;t really consider it healthy as much as it is okay to eat (and more than 2 x a week), On the other hand, dark chocolate covered nuts are actually healthy to eat = not as the sole food you are eating but still. I was told by my doctor in Belgium that when I am on corticosteroids (and basically I am always on at least one - Advair, and often up to three - prednisone or medrol, Nasonex, and Advair) that I should eat more chocolate and nuts. I know that dark chocolate is much healthier than milk so dark chocolate covered almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc. Which is why I am conflicted with Nutella= it is chocolate and nut spread but not dark chocolate.

Who cares! Sure, it is not exactly health food, but it is delicious. A staple in our house. Breakfast is bread with nutella for DS and DH. Which is actually a very typical breakfast in my home country.

:iagree:

We're from Europe; DS has Nutella for breakfast almost every day.

That would be like eating a reese peanut butter cup sandwich lol

Exactly! :D Even better, is toasting the bread, putting chocolate chips on it while it's warm, and making a pb and choco chip sandwich. Puts nutella to shame! And it's darker chocolate, less sugar, and therefore healthy! :lol: