Menu

Washing the ceiling!?!?

rgrin

I'm doing the Declutter and Organizing challenges this year. You know the threads. Anyway, I decided to look around on her website for some cleaning lists and saw something that made me just shut the laptop and walk away for a bit. Apparently I'm supposed to be washing my ceilings once a year?! :svengo: Seriously? Please tell me I'm not the only one who doesn't do this... and that it's okay to ignore this sage advice and leave it off my master cleaning list altogether... Please, oh please, oh please...

I tried it once years ago and I did it wrong. Can't remember what i used as a cleaner (something I read about somewhere). The ceiling was/is painted with flat white paint. I had to stop b/c all I was doing was collecting the dust and dirt and smearing it in patterns....they are still there. :blush: FIL & MIL told me they just repaint when it starts to look bad. I still thought you had to clean the ceiling first? :confused1:

I remember the very first time my MIL came and visited me form Canada. her very first comment was that I didn't wash the ceiling. I remember thinking that I wasn't aware that it was in my list of jobs. :bored:

After that my ceiling got washed just before her annual visit. Now she is too old and frail to come and visit. I no only wash the ceiling just before painting. :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

Ceilings are the only flat surface in my house that is free from clutter. Nothing gets spilled on them, they don't get scuffed. Nobody writes a phone message in Sharpie that bleeds through to the ceiling.

I rarely wash my FLOORS- why the heck would I wash my ceiling? :leaving:

I guess I'll be thankful for once that the trend for years here was blown ceilings (or what many call "popcorn"). There's absolutely no way you could wash these ceilings without having it all fall down on you.

That's what I have and I was totally :confused1: at the thought of washing a ceiling too.

Sadly, I do have to vacuum the popcorn ceilings pretty frequently. I probably vacuum mine once every 3 months or so. We don't smoke or have pets but that popcorn junk really holds onto dust and cobwebs.

We lived at our previous house for six years. One time in all those years, I cleaned the kitchen ceiling. That was enough for a lifetime, IMO. :p

I *have* cleaned bathroom ceilings before, but only because of mold/mildew.

I'd NEVER bother to put it on any sort of master cleaning list.

I have to dust my ceilings occasionally to clear off the lint that's thrown up by our ceiling fans (which I also don't dust nearly as often as I should. I probably wouldn't have to dust the *ceiling* if I did that). And we had to wash the ceiling in our kitchen after we forgot to turn off a burner under a pot of boiling water, and the teflon coating burning off left a lovely grey residue on the ceiling. (obviously this was a very cheap WalMart pot, and thankfully it was also pre-kids so they didn't inhale the stuff)

But other than that, no I don't clean my ceilings.

How do you wash a ceiling? Do you bring in a scaffold???

A step ladder works just fine for a normal 10 foot high ceiling. It's not that hard for a flat ceiling though it can be a bit hard on the neck if it is a big area. As someone else mentioned, you cannot wash a popcorn ceiling. Most bathroom ceilings and often kitchen ceilings too are flat and are painted with higher gloss paint that is easier to wash.

I take back what I said earlier about only washing if I'm painting. I do wash my kitchen ceiling about once a year. It gets grungy with grease in spots.

Quoting Rebel Yell - "Ceilings are the only flat surface in my house that is free from clutter. Nothing gets spilled on them, they don't get scuffed. Nobody writes a phone message in Sharpie that bleeds through to the ceiling."

You would think that would be true, right? But I have washed handprints off my ceilings where my darling boys had a contest to see who could jump the most and touch the ceiling. I've had them wipe footprints off the ceiling, but never got to the truth of how they got there. And just last month, I had to wash the ceiling because DH and boys dragged the Christmas tree in before cutting down to size and I had a sap trail on the ceiling from the front door through the dining room to the living room! And how about the cans of soda that were shaken and opened in the kitchen - spraying everywhere including the ceiling!

Myra

Here's a question - my ceiling is painted in an egg shell color with flat paint. When I spot wash it, I use a damp cloth and wash in a circular motion but when it dries I can see the "swipes" of my cloth. How do I spot wash so no washing stain is left behind when it dries?

Myra

First I have to scrub the deer paths in my backyard. :)

My ceilings are textured. Washing them would be ridiculous. If they get that bad (and I even notice - unlikely), might as well re-paint them.

But, I'm sure I've heard of this before. Maybe just for kitchens or bathrooms. I guess if you knew you had some reason to wash your ceiling every year, you'd paint it with something that was easy to wash.

That's the thing with flat paint, it's not really washable.

Oh, no! That's not the answer I was looking for so I guess I'll just have to pretend these random circular patterns on my ceilings are part of my interior design! But looking around at my messy house this morning, the designs fit right in!

Myra

I have only washed a ceiling once... when my ds dropped a jar of relish which proceeded to explode and leave a giant, drippy, sticky, rorschach test on the ceiling. Despite our best efforts, there were still yellow tumeric stains on the ceiling we could never get out completely.

Otherwise, I sweep the ceiling off once or twice a year to get rid of spider webs, but that's it.

I have popcorn ceilings throughout most of the house (including a 30+ foot high cathedral ceiling in the living room), so no, I don't wash my ceilings.

The only room that doesn't have a popcorn ceiling is the kitchen. I have wiped the occasional spot off the ceiling, but only when it's really noticeable.

For pre-painting prep, I use Kilz if needed - so even then, you can avoid washing your ceiling. ;)

That's the thing with flat paint, it's not really washable.

Exactly! I vac the corners when necessary, otherwise it will just get repainted when it's that room's turn to be redone. Oh and I do all my own painting, except for ceilings....my dad or DH does that part.

Our pastor has done drywall texturing pretty much as a full-time occupation for years and he would faint at the idea of washing any ceiling that has any texturing on it. We have swirls and all kinds of interesting ceilings in our house because when we built on a few years ago he let the kids pick their ceiling style. I've been instructed that you dust them lightly if necessary to knock down the cobwebs. I'm also not supposed to paint them. If they get old enough to be dirty then I should get them re-textured.

We do have really old textured swirls on one-side of our house and we did paint them but I don't think we confessed that when he was working on the other side of the house.

There's only a few places I've needed to wash the ceiling. One was a rental with a bathroom with bad airflow. The ceiling molded regularly. It was a low ceiling. It didn't bother my mom but it did bother me, so I'd wash it.

I have boys. I've had to wash ceilings around the house a few times. (What would happen if I threw milk into the ceiling fan???) I also have a 60 year old wall oven. I wash the kitchen ceiling a few times a year when the crud builds up.