Menu

Pray pray pray - James has disappeared

Robin M

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you. Thank you! They found him - about 5 miles away in the opposite direction we thought he took. Someone saw him walking around and notified the police. He has no clue how upsetting this is to us. He just doesn't get it. He's totally soaked - it started pouring after he left. He's in the bath now. And hubby and I have to figure out what to do now. Mom with 'elopers' - suggestions, help.

Guest inoubliable

Thank you. Thank you! They found him - about 5 miles away in the opposite direction we thought he took. Someone saw him walking around and notified the police. He has no clue how upsetting this is to us. He just doesn't get it. He's totally soaked - it started pouring after he left. He's in the bath now. And hubby and I have to figure out what to do now. Mom with 'elopers' - suggestions, help.

Glad to hear that he is home now and safe! Fantastic of the person who saw him walking around outside in the rain and did the right thing by calling to police!

I am so glad he is safe! I woud put alarms on all putside doors OR get a security system installed, one where there is an "at home" option so the alarm will go off if external doors are opened.

Oh Robin, I saw your thread title and prayed! I decided to pray first and then read the thread for updates before replying. So glad to hear your son was found. This is a good ending! Also, so glad the people who actually saw him, went ahead and notified the police. :grouphug:

I'm SO relieved for you to hear this!!! Praise God!

I don't have any advice, just joy that he is safe and sound now. :grouphug:

So relieved to hear this, Robin! :grouphug:

Yay! Happy to hear he is back home!!!!! :hurray:

I'm so glad he is safe! There are service dogs for austism/aspergers kids that can be trained to keep kids from leaving the house or wandering off. If you search on the internet you can find a few companies. The one company that we had looked into had each family raise about $10000 in donations. Ds was never a wanderer, but if he was we would have definitely gone with a service dog, along with alarms and a GPS tag for his shoe.

I am so glad he is safe! I woud put alarms on all putside doors OR get a security system installed, one where there is an "at home" option so the alarm will go off if external doors are opened.

This is what I would suggest, too. Our security system has a "chime" feature that we can set to beep briefly when those doors open. (We have a monitored system but the chime feature doesn't go through to them as a regular alarm would.)

I'm so thankful that your prayers were answered today!

It's possible to get really loud door alarms as I had them when my 4 yr old was a little younger as he kept escaping. The only thing is with an older child they would be quite easy to turn off as the switch is just on the side. It might be possible to snap the off switch off though and then turn them off with a pin or something should you need to. They are extremely loud and very cheap. This sort of thing. They sound similar to some car alarms.

Dearest Robin:

I have been praying for you and James all morning. So glad he is found. I have an ASD son, now an adult, who has been lost twice, once for a terrifying day on his 9th birthday in Mesa Verde National Park. I know about the wandering off and the fear and the lack of comprehension of the effects on others. Wishing your family a day of closeness and understanding. Give your boy an extra hug from me. Love.

I have a niece with autism. She is an escape artist. She now wears an ankle bracelet (with GPS technology) that is hooked into their local police in case she becomes lost. My sister and a few others did fund raisers to implement this in the community. It's worth looking into.

Alarms and special locks are still used by them, as well. It's been a very tough challenge, especially because she is non-communicative.

Huge hugs!!!!!! That must have been so terrifying and exhausting for you.

Check and see if your local law enforcement has the GPS ankle bracelets. A friend of mine has one for her son with Down Syndrome. We have our alarm system set to chime if a window or door opens - just chimes in the house - does not send an alarm to the alarm company.

We had our doors tripled locked when our two elopers were small. A dead bolt, the door latch and a high as we could reach sliding lock latch (not describing this well - like you see in hotel rooms sort of)

So glad you found him.