Menu

Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without (check ALL that apply)

Thanksgiving  

272 members have voted

1. 1. I need the following to make it real Thanksgiving (check all that apply)

• Turkey
    • Ham
    • rolls
    • Stuffing
    • Mashing potatoes
    • cranberry relish
    • Green bean casserole
    • Corn
    • sweet potato casserole
    • yams
    • pumpkin pie
    • pecan pie
    • chocolate cake
    • Peanut butter and Jelly (just seeing who is paying attention)
    • Other (please mention)
  2. 2. I really do NOT like this traditional Thanksgiving dish

• yams
    • sweet potatoes
    • mashed potatoes
    • turkey
    • pumpkin pie
    • pecan pie
    • green bean casserole
    • cranberry relish
    • stuffing
    • rolls
    • other (please mention)

Huh, I wonder why?

Oh well, not a life or death poll by any means.....just curious. I know what WE eat but always curious what others eat.

I voted other on the dislike list because I had to put something for the website to accept my vote. Sorry. :/

I chose other on the dislike, it said we have to answer both for it to work. :)

I like everything but mostly depending on preparation.

I do NOT like marshmallows on sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes just not with marshmallows on them.

I also do not like fluffy desserts involving whipped cream and pudding mix but that was not on the list. :lol:

I mostly want to eat turkey and dressing but I don't need any one certain dish for it to be a "real Thanksgiving" I would like to eat enchiladas for Thanksgiving just as much as Turkey. :)

Wow...love that you posted two separate polls together. We couldn't do that before, could we? :)

Just to add some conversation to your poll...I put that I don't like green bean casserole, but in all actuality, I have never tried it. No one in my family makes it and when I have been to a potluck during the holidays and someone brings it, it just looks...well...kinda EWWWW to me. I'm a southern-ish girl and we eat our green beans cooked, and then cooked some more (which I know is EWWW to some people). :p

Wow...love that you posted two separate polls together. We couldn't do that before, could we? :)

Just to add some conversation to your poll...I put that I don't like green bean casserole, but in all actuality, I have never tried it. No one in my family makes it and when I have been to a potluck during the holidays and someone brings it, it just looks...well...kinda EWWWW to me. I'm a southern-ish girl and we eat our green beans cooked, and then cooked some more (which I know is EWWW to some people). :p

I like it, and my husband will eat it, but my weird family prefers I just cook the green beans. I don't cook them to mush though. Just a little darker than bright green. I guess it's nice to have one plain dish on the table that day.

Also, even though I do make our rolls and cranberry relish from scratch, I will admit to using Stovetop stuffing.

Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without *family.* We can eat anything (and this year we're having Indian food b/c my Indian s-i-l is hosting), but it doesn't feel like Thanksgiving without the extended family scrunched around the table. We celebrated alone one year (me, hubby, and the kids) and even though we had the traditional Thanksgiving "feast," it felt... well... like any regular day. : (

Other: friends.

We avoid family on Thanksgiving and then buck up and do our best at Christmas. However, after last year, Christmas might be with friends as well. :glare:

As far as food, I'm easy as long as there's no marshmallows on the yams and no canned mushroom soup on the green beans. Even then, it's easy to avoid the offending dishes.

My aunt's nasty Jell-O salad which she serves without fail ever holiday gathering and I have to choke down a bite just to be polite. :ack2: Lime Jell-O, cottage cheese, weird mix of fruits & vegetables :ack2: :ack2: :ack2:

Ugh gross!! I don't like that sort of thing.

There are sometimes bonuses to being allergic to dairy. Blek!

I might have to make a lot of crap from scratch but no one is trying to make me eat weird fluffy jello/pudding desserts.

I voted other in the first poll. I'm Cajun. It just isn't Thanksgiving without potato salad and rice dressing. And, if I'm honest, it just isn't Thanksgiving without some sort of family drama.

Things I hate? Cranberry anything. I cannot stand it! We never had cranberry anything at our Thanksgiving meals.

This was more my hand at trying out the poll feature than anything! I like that you can have more than one question as well, but didn't realize you HAVE to answer both to get it to record your vote.....I wonder why????

Dawn

we go to our friends' house every Thanksgiving. We take most of the sides and they make the turkey and dressing.

Dawn

Other: friends.

We avoid family on Thanksgiving and then buck up and do our best at Christmas. However, after last year, Christmas might be with friends as well. :glare:

As far as food, I'm easy as long as there's no marshmallows on the yams and no canned mushroom soup on the green beans. Even then, it's easy to avoid the offending dishes.

Isn't it funny how nobody voted for corn as part of a traditional Thanksgiving meal? Wasn't corn part of the first Thanksgiving? My mom makes corn casserole, but I'm not a fan so I decided not to carry on that tradition in my family.

Alternative green bean dish: My chinese step-mom made this for me once and I liked it so much that we have included it every Thanksgiving. Saute green beans with minced garlic. Mix soy sauce (maybe 2-3 Tbls) and corn starch (1-2 Tbls) together in a bowl. Pour it into the green beans when they are cooked to your liking. Mix until sauce thickens. Serve immediately. It's fast, easy, yummy.

dh's neices and nephews think it's not thanksgiving without uncle (dh) rolls. it's not thanksgiving without leftovers the next morning and pumpkin pie for breakfast.

I voted other for things I don't like. I have never been in charge of yams/sweet potatoes, and I don't have a problem with them when done well, but those bringing them have never made a version I liked. we've never done the green bean casserole (well, maybe once in 30 years). I'm surprised you didn't have mince pie on the list. dh and his sister adore it. they don't have much competition for eating it. this despite a minimum of 20 adults.

then there was the year sil made a tomato aspic. :eek: this year, her son is bringing kimchi. sigh. we'll see if it's as popular as the pickeled herring and sour cream that used to be a staple. the chocolate goat cheese was pretty bad - I think the contributor was trying to get rid of it.

my most original - I was making cranberry sauce today. only the bag I grabbed from the freezer, were pie cherries :svengo:. . . . should be interesting. dh's making chocolate cheesecake - so maybe it can be turned into cherry sauce for those who like cherry sauce.

I'm a southern-ish girl and we eat our green beans cooked, and then cooked some more (which I know is EWWW to some people). :p

those green beans had better be seasoned with bacon or you're no southern girl. . . . . . ;)

eta: the other thing I got from my grandma - if a ham doesn't have a bone in it, it's not a real ham.

You forgot winter squash. And aren't sweet potatoes the same thing as yams?

Technically no they are different although they both taste equally bad to me. I know yams are native to S. America and sweet potatoes to N. America but they are also a different scientific group as well. Squash is also lumped into my equally bad grouping but again it's different from either sweet potatoes or yams.

those green beans had better be seasoned with bacon or you're no southern girl. . . . . . ;)

eta: the other thing I got from my grandma - if a ham doesn't have a bone in it, it's not a real ham.

Well, my mom is a vegetarian, so she never made green beans like that when I was growing up (she always fixed plenty of meat...she just made sure that the non-meat dishes were things she could eat). As an adult though...YUMMMMM (anything with bacon gets a yum from me!).

Well, my mom is a vegetarian, so she never made green beans like that when I was growing up (she always fixed plenty of meat...she just made sure that the non-meat dishes were things she could eat). As an adult though...YUMMMMM (anything with bacon gets a yum from me!).

I might get in trouble for this, but I firmly believe that a thick bacon wrap is the only thing that might make a Tofurky edible.

:gnorsi:

We do pumpkin bread instead of pie because we like it more. If I make the pie (meaning if we have visitors) there is always leftovers because it's not our favorite. The bread will be eaten for breakfast and dessert though.

The only other thing not on your list was mac n cheese. My dds would not feel like it was a holiday without my mac n cheese. We do turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, salad, mac n cheese, stuffing, rolls, pumpkin bread, and we have lots of raw veggies to snack on as well.

I had never heard of it until Mr. Ellie and I got married. Despite the disdain of foodies, we like it, canned cream of mushroom soup and all. :-) However, not as many people here in Central Texas seem to like it as did in California. Go figure.

I had never heard of it until Mr. Ellie and I got married. Despite the disdain of foodies, we like it, canned cream of mushroom soup and all. :-) However, not as many people here in Central Texas seem to like it as did in California. Go figure.

DH had never had it until we were married either. His family was very...eh...about me making it for Thanksgiving but he likes it now. I did see a recipe on foodnetwork.com for from scratch green bean casserole, but I'm not up to doing that in addition to the rest of the dishes. But it looked yummy.

Wow I voted for all except 3 things. Peanut butter jelly, corn and chocolate cake BECAUSE THOSE ARE NOT TURKEY DAY FOODS YOU IDIOTS!!!!!

So joking. I am tolerant of anyone's crazy turkey day fair. As long as you have turkey or something in place of for the main dish, and pie. And potatoes. And stuffing. Or something to replace those things.

I LOVE turkey and Thanksgiving!!