Menu

Thanksgiving Menu! What's yours?

I couldn't find one of these for this year so I figured I would start one. Please post your menu!

Menu

Horderves-Reindeer mash

Ham with a cranberry orange glaze

Mashed potatoes with cream cheese, sour cream and chevre

Fresh green bean casserole (sorta, I saute mushrooms, onion, garlic, and beans and then add to a simple white sauce) Yum!

Brussel sprouts~prepared similar to green beans, without white sauce and add roasted pecans. (all of my kids LOVE brussel sprouts!)

Stuffing

pan drippings gravy

Croissants

cranberry sauce

Dessert-Pumpkin pie

Drinks-Sparkling red grape for the kids

wine

spiced cider

I am excited, because this year the kids are able to help a lot more! The fact that they enjoy cooking is just gravy!

Guest inoubliable

We do things a bit differently... but it's Thanksgiving dinner just the same!

Chickpea cutlets with mushroom sauce

Roasted broccoli

Mashed potatoes

Broccoli salad - yeah, we really love our broccoli around here!

Sausage apple cranberry stuffing - our first year attempting this with a vegan sausage

Dinner rolls

Cranberry sauce

I have a couple of vegan pumpkin pie recipes that we wanted to try out so the kids and I drew numbers. We're each going to make one, from a different recipe, and then vote on which recipe gets to stick around.

Wine for DH and I, spiced apple cider for kiddos. We'll probably all end up with water, though. Maybe hot chocolate later in the evening with pie.

ETA: Butternut squash soup! I can't believe I forgot to put that in there. We LOVE butternut squash soup!

Edited by inoubliable

Appetizer: Seafood Platter (Oysters, Clams, Catfish, Crabmeat Spread & Saltines)

Main Dishes: Baked Hen & Three Sisters Stew

Sides: Mash Potatoes, Mushroom Gravy, Dinner Rolls, Glazed Baked Onions, Cranberry Sauce, Baked Sweet Potatoes, Bread Stuffing Casserole & Seasoned Butter Peas

Dessert: Pumpkin Pie

All our meals are gluten & dairy free. We have 2 main dishes because I'm the solo vegan in the house. :D

Great thread!

My dh and girls will spend all day tomorrow making pies. They've narrowed it down to FIvE kinds! This was something his grandmother did each year with the grand kids. They also each got to make their own mini-pie.

We are a community host to a Chinese grad student, so he'll be joining us Thursday for:

Turkey

Gravy

Cranberry sauce

Dressing

Mashed potatoes

Green bean casserole

Candied yams

Rolls

And probably broccoli

And five kinds of pie!!! We never have room in the fridge for it all. Last year It took me weeks to find and clean all the caked on mereingue in my fridge!

We're on our own this year and since the dc don't like turkey we'll be grilling salmon. Sides include green beans (sauteed, not casseroled), salad, mashed and sweet potatoes (I'm the only one who prefers sweet). Pumpkin pie, whipped cream, fruit for dessert.

It will be simple, but I think we'll all enjoy it more.

My new SIL is doing most of the cooking so I don't know details, but at least I have a menu.

Turkey

bread stuffing

mashed potatoes

pan dripping gravy

steamed green beans in a garlic butter sauce

candied sweet potatoes

rolls

sweet corn and/or early peas

cranberry gel and relish

fruit salad with whipped cream and marshmallows

pumpkin, pecan, apple pies

lots of coffee

Turkey

Sage and sausage stuffing

Mashed potatoes and gravy

Dinner rolls

Corn and wild rice casserole

Green beans amandine

Homemade cranberry sauce

Pumpkin pie

S'mores pie

Pecan pie

Caramel apple pie

Apple cranberry pie

I know...that's a lot of desserts! But it's our tradition to have leftover pie for breakfast on Friday morning (healthy, I know), and I have to make sure there are enough different kinds of leftovers for everyone to get what they like!

Mmmmmm!

Appetizers:

Veggies with dip

Cheeses with crackers (a local farmer makes cranberry orange chevre, yum!)

Parmesan and sundried tomato bread

Dinner:

Turkey (one of these years I'm going to convince the hubby he would rather have ham)

Dressing with apples and cranberries

Garlic mashed potatoes

Cream corn casserole (for the DH, not really my thing)

Orange cranberry sauce

SautĂƒÂ©ed carrots (toddler favorite)

Roasted veggies (brussel sprouts, parsnips, maybe some squash)

Gravy (which I hate making because I always have 100 other things to do after the turkey comes out)

Dessert:

Crustless pumpkin pie

Apple crisp

I seem to not understand the word moderation...

brie stuffed mushrooms

butternut squash soup (with bacon, sour cream and croutons!)

onion tart

kale, bulgher, apricot salad

rutabaga

braised red cabbage

lemon garlic brussel sprouts

pecan green beans

creamed spinach

cornbread dressing (with sausage, apples, onions, celery, and crasins)

baked sweet potatoes with pecan crust

cheddar mashed potatoes

turkey--one roasted, one fried (14 people, it's all about the sandwiches--6 loaves of bread have to be made, too)

gravy

cranberry jelly

cranberry chutney

nuts, clementines, torrone (it's an Italian nougat candy)

2 pumpkin pie (just took the pumpkins out of the oven)

2 apple pie

homemade vanilla custard icecream

rice pudding

coffee, tea

so far this morning I got the pumpkins roasted, the rutabaga cooked and masked, the spinach sautĂƒÂ©ed, the vanilla custard made, the rice pudding is done.

I made the soup last night (and my stock was AWESOME)

I am on a tea break right now.

Here is our menu.

Appetizers

Jalapeno Jelly over cream cheese served with Wheat Thins

Bacon Ranch Dip served with Ritz crackers

Main Meal

Turkey

Ham

Cornbread Dressing

Mashed Potatoes

Gravy

Homemade Noodles

Praline Sweet Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole

Homemade Rolls

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

Dessert

2 Pumpkin Pies

2 Pecan Pies

Peanut Butter Pie

Brownie Pie

Strawberry Cheesecake

Apple Crisp

Pistachio Salad

(What ever dessert is left over from lunch will be taken to another family gathering that night)

I'm doing:

Turkey, sage with apples and an orange, and gravy

Cornbread and roasted apple dressing

Brussels sprouts roasted in rendered duck fat

Cranberries with port

A friend is baking desserts and rolls and making mashed potatoes and a green been casserole.

We're bringing the "real" wine, friend is supplying the Moscato.

I seem to not understand the word moderation...

brie stuffed mushrooms

butternut squash soup (with bacon, sour cream and croutons!)

onion tart

kale, bulgher, apricot salad

rutabaga

braised red cabbage

lemon garlic brussel sprouts

pecan green beans

creamed spinach

cornbread dressing (with sausage, apples, onions, celery, and crasins)

baked sweet potatoes with pecan crust

cheddar mashed potatoes

turkey--one roasted, one fried (14 people, it's all about the sandwiches--6 loaves of bread have to be made, too)

gravy

cranberry jelly

cranberry chutney

nuts, clementines, torrone (it's an Italian nougat candy)

2 pumpkin pie (just took the pumpkins out of the oven)

2 apple pie

homemade vanilla custard icecream

rice pudding

coffee, tea

so far this morning I got the pumpkins roasted, the rutabaga cooked and masked, the spinach sautĂƒÂ©ed, the vanilla custard made, the rice pudding is done.

I made the soup last night (and my stock was AWESOME)

I am on a tea break right now.

Yum! Hey we reveresed our green beans and brussel sprouts. I usually add something lemony to the green beans and has the sprouts crusted in a nut. :)

We have the same thing every year:

Thanksgiving Dinner

Smoked Turkey & Giblet Gravy

Fresh Cranberry Sauce

Green Bean Casserole

Cornbread Dressing

Blue Cheese Mashed Potatoes

Candied Sweet Potatoes

Corn

Fresh Bread

Sweet Tea

Dessert

Pumpkin Pie

Mincement Pie

Banana Pudding

Individual Chocolate Puddings

My mom is hosting so while I don't know the "official" menu she is not very adventurous so I can probably guess pretty close.

Mom's part

Turkey

mashed potatoes

gravy

regular stuffing and then a smaller pan that she will pollute with raisins that only her and my grandma will eat.

sweet potatoes that only mom and grandma will eat

corn

My sister is making

cooked red cabbage that only sister, mom and grandma will eat and the rest of us will have to suffer with the smell of death in the house

pumpkin pies (my nephew is making these)

some other dessert because both of my sisters hate pumpkin pie

some other appetizers to fill around my list

Can you tell which parts I don't like?

Other sister

some kind of mixed non alcholic drinks/punch

Me

Asiago cheese bread

Honey whole wheat bread

Maybe dinner rolls if I feel ambitious

pineapple chunks (aldi's had a great sale)

chips, taco dip and some other dip

deviled eggs

jello salad

It's just the 4 of us this year, so we're keeping it small.

Roasted turkey breast

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potato casserole

Steamed green beans

Rolls

Sparkling apple cider for the kids, wine for mom and dad

Dessert will be pumpkin pie and a custard pear pie

We go to my brothers for Thanksgiving so we celebrate the day after. No one likes turkey so it is a bird free meal. :)

My son is having a chicken souvlaki from his favorite restaurant. I am making a pork tenderloin for myself and my daughter will probably have no main course.

We are making an amazing cornbread stuffing with sausage that we will all eat too much of and apple pie that my kids will make (and try to eat the whole pie in one sitting).

We may have mashed potatoes or some other side dish if I get in a cooking mood.

Untraditional and we like it that way.

Cheese & cracker tray

Crudites

Herb-Roasted Turkey

Easy Turkey Gravy (I, too, hate making the gravy)

Mashed Potatoes (my own recipe)

Sweet Potato Casserole (with marshmallows)

Green Bean and Bacon Saute

Marsala Glazed Carrots with Slivered Almonds (new recipe this year - it sounds good!)

Stuffing/dressing

Sweet Dinner Rolls with Honey Butter

and one can of jellied cranberry sauce for DMIL (none of us like it)

Lattice Apple Pie with Mexican Sugar (Piloncillo)

Chantal's New York Cheesecake (from allrecipes.com)

Double Chocolate Torte

Pumpkin Pie

----

I'm making the desserts tomorrow. I can't wait! :drool5:

Typical midwest, but overkill like Justamouse. :D

turkey (no ham, eating that tonight, hehe)

sausage and cranberry stuffing

mashed potatoes

baked sweet potatoes

corn casserole

broccoli casserole

homemade noodles

homemade rolls

green bean casserole

cornmeal and cranberry muffins

maple spice pecan pie

ginger pumpkin pie

cheeseball

broccoli salad if dd gets her way

cranberry sauce

cranberry lemonade

MIL will bring a few pies and anything she really likes. It's just a few of us. We're gonna feast. :drool5:

We do things a bit differently... but it's Thanksgiving dinner just the same!

Chickpea cutlets with mushroom sauce

Roasted broccoli

Mashed potatoes

Broccoli salad - yeah, we really love our broccoli around here!

Sausage apple cranberry stuffing - our first year attempting this with a vegan sausage

Dinner rolls

Cranberry sauce

I have a couple of vegan pumpkin pie recipes that we wanted to try out so the kids and I drew numbers. We're each going to make one, from a different recipe, and then vote on which recipe gets to stick around.

Wine for DH and I, spiced apple cider for kiddos. We'll probably all end up with water, though. Maybe hot chocolate later in the evening with pie.

ETA: Butternut squash soup! I can't believe I forgot to put that in there. We LOVE butternut squash soup!

This sounds wonderful! Are you doing the chickpea cutlets from the veganomicon cookbook? Those are awesome.

I wanted to mention that, if you don't already have what you're using, the Field Roast smoked apple sage vegan sausage is AWESOME and wonderful in stuffing. I have made a cornbread stuffing with this sausage the last few years and it is to die for. Even carnivores dig it.

For the first time ever, I'm not cooking; we're heading to a friend's house. So I have no idea what the entire menu is! Because we're all vegetarians, I will be bringing a veg roast of some sort to stand in for turkey (I think it's going to be the Gardein brand stuffed celebration roast). Also, I am bringing dessert, so I'll be making the traditional pumpkin and apple pies, as well as a chocolate pecan pie and anything else I decide to throw together between now and then.

Some of these menus sound divine! If I don't do the traditional southern bit, my family will revolt. So, we will have:

Roasted Turkey

Ham

Mashed Potatoes

Turkey Gravy

Broiled Brusell Sprouts

Green Beans

Corn

Cranberry Sauce

Sweet Potatoes

Mac-n-Cheese

Dressing (dh's aunt is making it)

Rolls (from Costco)

Desert:

I'm sure dh's aunt will bring something yummy, plus

GF pecan pie

GF pumpkin bread

To Drink:

Sweet Tea

Hansen's Root Beer

San Pellegrino Sparkling Orange and Lemon.

Chinese food, at the beach, if the weather cooperates. If not, Chinese food in front of the fireplace at home.

Yes, I'm serious. My mom and sister are doing Thanksgiving with their church people, my brother goes to a friend's, my MIL is busy, etc., so it is just the four of us.

We might do a "second string" Thanksgiving later on, with roasted chicken, cranberry relish, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, a big salad, pumpkin pie, and the Winter Mince pie from Deborah Madison's Local Flavors.

I'm busy planning out my XMas Eve menu, when all the family comes over, so I'll share that instead. We do lots of finger foods:

Baked ham

Bacon-wrapped jalapeno thingies

Tomato-parmesan tartlets

Cucumber-salmon bites

Caramelized onion bruschetta

Mushroom turnovers (Trader Joe's, these are the only appetizers I don't make myself)

Crudites with a Greek yogurt dip

A big green salad with avocado, fresh mandarin orange wedges, and a citrusy dressing

Mini salted caramel cheesecakes (I'm making them in a mini-muffin pan, so they'll be very small)

Winter-mince tartlets

And a Buche de Noel with meringue mushrooms. I add crushed candy-canes to the filling.

copied what I'd just sent to my allergy-free cooking group - all gluten and dairy free and mostly soy free:

Turkey Ă¢â‚¬â€œ I brine, dry overnight, fill with oil-tossed celery-onion-carrot, roast at 400 breast down, then each side, then finish upright

Mashed potatoes Ă¢â‚¬â€œ maybe with a homemade vegan butter and hemp milk, or soy products and my daughter does her own with dairy

Sweet potatoes Ă¢â‚¬â€œ baked them, then layer with margarine (or vegan butter), brown sugar and marshmallows

Plain boiled broccoli and cauliflower (the youngest 2 like that)

Roasted brussel sprouts (tossed with oil, salt, pecans)

Creole cornbread stuffing Ă¢â‚¬â€œ I make a gf cornbread and just skip the milk and make 1/4th recipehttp://allrecipes.com/recipe/creole-cornbread-stuffing-2/detail.aspx

Chocolate chess pie using my vegan butter and my crusthttp://southernfood.about.com/od/chocolatepies/r/bl00510b.htm

Pumpkin pie http://www.godairyfree.org/ask-alisa/ask-alisa-do-you-have-a-good-pumpkin-pie-recipe-that-is-milk-free-and-soy-free

cranberry sauce

apple cranberry crisp (using quinoa flakes and nuts in the crisp)

the vegan butter recipe (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll use hemp milk) http://www.veganbaking.net/fats/vegan-butters/735-vegan-butter

my pie crust, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll probably sub part of the water with egg yolk and increase sugar (double recipe)http://dbmamaz.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/gfcf-tasty-pie-crust/

Typical midwest, but overkill like Justamouse. :D

turkey (no ham, eating that tonight, hehe)

sausage and cranberry stuffing

mashed potatoes

baked sweet potatoes

corn casserole

broccoli casserole

homemade noodles

homemade rolls

green bean casserole

cornmeal and cranberry muffins

maple spice pecan pie

ginger pumpkin pie

cheeseball

broccoli salad if dd gets her way

cranberry sauce

cranberry lemonade

MIL will bring a few pies and anything she really likes. It's just a few of us. We're gonna feast. :drool5:

LIKE!!!! :laugh:

Guest inoubliable

This sounds wonderful! Are you doing the chickpea cutlets from the veganomicon cookbook? Those are awesome.

I wanted to mention that, if you don't already have what you're using, the Field Roast smoked apple sage vegan sausage is AWESOME and wonderful in stuffing. I have made a cornbread stuffing with this sausage the last few years and it is to die for. Even carnivores dig it.

For the first time ever, I'm not cooking; we're heading to a friend's house. So I have no idea what the entire menu is! Because we're all vegetarians, I will be bringing a veg roast of some sort to stand in for turkey (I think it's going to be the Gardein brand stuffed celebration roast). Also, I am bringing dessert, so I'll be making the traditional pumpkin and apple pies, as well as a chocolate pecan pie and anything else I decide to throw together between now and then.

Yep, from the cookbook! They are, indeed, delicious!

I had planned on making the stuffing from scratch. You know the whole steam-up-vegan-sausage-in-foil thing? But.. :crying: I cannot find the recipe for the stuffing! I printed it - I KNOW that I did! And, I can't find it. And, it's not bookmarked. And, so I'm kinda freaking out. I know it was a sausage apple cranberry stuffing and made with sourdough - and only because I scribbled that down hastily on a napkin while I was planning the menu out. Help? Do you have a link to the recipe that you use or can you PM me? I'm headed to the grocery store tonight to pick up some last minute stuff and I'm going to look for the Field Roast sausage. Our options are limited around this area, so I hope I can find it!

I love seeing everyone's menus. I normally love Thanksgiving, but am not up to doing or going to a big dinner this year. My mom is coming over and bringing mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, her version of green bean casserole which involves Golden Mushroom Soup and real onion rings, and possibly stuffing, although she's the only one who will eat it, so I don't know if she'll bother. I don't have the desire to try a gluten-free stuffing.

I bought half a turkey breast and two drumsticks to roast, sweet potatoes to bake, carrots and parsnips to roast, rolls, and I'll probably make some corn to appease the children.

It's a completely ridiculous spread for just us and dear mil and fil, but the kids really, really wanted both the traditional fixings and the special Polish stuff, and I just didn't have the heart to say them nay.

Salad--greens with strawberries, feta, almonds, and balsamic dressing

Rolls

Turkey

Stuffing

gravy

mashed potatoes with cream cheese and chives

sweet potato souffle

peas

Mil's creamy green jello--hopefully she'll make it with real ingredients rather than low-fat :)

Polish sausage

piroghis

sauerkraut

Pumpkin pie

Mixed berry crumble

whipped cream

For the first time in nearly 20 years, I'm not hosting Thanksgiving. My dss and ddil live with her parents. It's a long story, but their house is on the market and for various reasons, they can't live there right now. His in-laws live closer to both of their work places than we do.

Anyway, dss loves to cook and has said he'd like to take over Thanksgiving dinner. His mil was happy to turn her kitchen over to him. I don't know what he has on the menu, but I'm bringing:

homemade cranberry sauce

homemade dinner rolls

sweet potato casserole

I'm going to try and duplicate my mother's famous marinated artichoke hearts. She never had a recipe, just used olive oil, oregano, and copious amounts of fresh garlic. Dh and dss love them.

We're going to my parents' house this year for Thanksgiving.

Main Course:

Fried Turkey

Mashed potatoes

Gravy

Stuffing

Salad

Jello salad

Brown rice

Stuffed carrots

Cranberry sauce

Crescent rolls

Dessert:

Pecan pie

Chocolate chess pie

Pumpkin pie

Chocolate pudding pie

Italian cream cake

Bourbon whipped cream (regular for the kids)

It's just the kids and I this year and I wanted to pare it down but the kids nixed that idea.

Appetizers:

Deviled Eggs

Black and Green Olives

Homemade Chex Mix

Cheese and Crackers

Dinner:

Turkey

Gravy

Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Turnips

Brussel Sprouts with garlic and bacon

Corn

Homemade Mac and Cheese

Sausage Stuffing

Cranberry Sauce both homemade and canned

Yams

Rolls

Dessert:

Pumpkin Pie

Banana Cream Pie

I am trying to keep it simple,

We have a roasted turkey from Honey Baked Hams.

We eat it with scalloped oysters (which is all I really love about this day),

MIL's corn bread stuffing

a fresh green bean casserole

Dinner rolls

Pies

That is it. Oh, and I am making a vegetarian acorn squash for my vegetarian nephew.

Our church is holding a Thanksgiving Dinner at noon on Thursday. They are providing the turkey and ham, and we are bringing creamed onions, mashed turnips, crandberry chutney, gf cocolate peanut butter cookies, and sugar cookies. I'm looking forward to seeing (and tasting) what everyone else is bringing!

OK you over achievers, lol!

Just us four tired people because of local college student dd who has not only gone with little sleep, but has taken our sleep as well... I'm cheating with many Publix deli items:

Turkey (making myself) and gravy (gravy from jar for the few that use it)

Cranberry Chutney from Honey Baked Ham

Sweet Potato Casserole (w/brown sugar/pecan crust and real uncanned sweet potatoes)

Homemade Cornbread Dressing

Cranberry sauce (canned)

Rolls (from deli)

Steamed green beans w/portabello mushrooms, panchetta, leeks, etc.)

Pumpkin Pie (from deli)

Apple Pie (from deli)

I get extra rolls for sandwiches, and make enough food for 3-4 days, because after all of that cooking, I'll need a break!

It is only four of us so I am making a small meal.

Turkey

Cornbread dressing

Mashed Potatoes

Cranberry sauce

Gravy

Rolls

Pumpkin pie

I have been making side dishes this week that would normally go with TG, I am just spreading it out since I can't make a huge crazy dinner for four people. I made greenbean casserole yesterday and we are having sweet potatoes tonight. :)

Holy moly mouse, between the two of us we could feed a thousand people.

Ours keeps growing. My mother found a 28 pound turkey LOL.

Main - Turkey, spiral sliced ham

Sides:

Stuffing - bacon and leek , and some stuffed in the turkey

scalloped potatoes

fairly plain sweet potatoes

homemade buttery sourdough rolls

A vegetable gratin

a relish tray with deviled eggs, cranberry sauce, olives/pickles

Pies:

apple

cherry

pumpkin

sernik - a Polish cheese cake made with fresh cheese

ETA: OH yeah and something with butternut squash. And I'm very proud that we grew the pumpkins for the pies this year

Pretty traditional:

Turkey

Stuffing/Dressing

Gravy

Mashed potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Homemade cranberry sauce

Rolls

A cottage cheese jello salad

Pumpkin pie

Apple pie

Berry pie

Hot apple cider

Sparkling cider

Wine

We divide the menu, so each family brings a few dishes. Dh makes the turkey and I make the sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie.

Cat

This is embarrassing because we are only three people. But I won't have to cook for a week after Thursday.

vegetable and relish trays

deviled eggs

roast turkey

pan gravy

stuffing

mashed potatoes

acorn squash casserole

dinner rolls

sweet potato casserole

lemon garlic green beans

cranberry sauce

cranberry relish

glazed pearl onions

pumpkin pie

pecan pie

Only 10 of us this year :)

My sister is bringing the appetizers, usually veggies and interesting dips.

Turkey

Gravy

Traditional bread stuffing

Apple-walnut stuffing (why do we call them stuffings when they aren't cooked in the bird?)

Cranberry sauce

Mashed potatoes

Roasted sweet potatoes (an old cooking light recipe)

Broccoli casserole (also an old CL recipe)

Steamed green beans tossed with lemon and almond slivers

Two types of pumpkin pie

Dd12's apple pie