Menu

Sandy updates ... How are you faring?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine here in NH. We didn't even lose power, which is strange. The houses near us were out, and it's usually the opposite. Our friends on Long Island, NY got hammered though! Fortunately everyone is safe and sound, and all the damage was done to their new fence and yard.

We are fine. Some of our children are in Queens NY and near VA beach. They are all fine. My parents and brother/family are doing well in NJ but I 'm not to sure about my Aunt and Uncle 's house in Sea Isle City. They are 1 block from the beach. They did leave though.

We are in Pa and my neighbor called me to say that she has a light covering of white sand all over the inside of her front windows. ??

I'm sorry...?I meant surf city.

Our power and Internet stayed on all night! No flickers. I <3 buried utilities! I was SURE that each gust of wind would drop a tree on us, but I'm glad that hasn't happened. Last year, the trees were falling a week AFTER the hurricane, but I'm gonna assume the statistical odds of it happening to ME again are slim. (See how brave I am when the storm is over :D)

That wind was freaky scary. I couldn't relax enough to sleep until almost 4 a.m. I slept past 11. Feeling perky now! I'm gonna clear the lawn furniture out of my dance room and hold class today :-)

When I talked to him yesterday afternoon, when the wind was just starting to get bad, he said all the girls in his office were freaking out about the waves on the lake. They are on the top floor of the office building and have unobstructed views of Lake Erie on three sides of the office. They could see the waves crashing over the break wall in many places.

NUTSO! We were in a hurricane on the Outer Banks when I was twelve, and I remember it like it was yesterday. I hope everyone on the east coast is safe.

My cousin told me people were surfing in Lake Erie the other day. I can't even imagine that!

I am in WV and we are home today with about 3 inches of snow (I don't live in the mountains where they are expected to get up to 3 FEET of snow!!!). School is cancelled today and I hear that roads are nasty. We have some wind but I don't think it's as bad as they feared, although we are under a wind advisory until 5pm today.

Our electricity keeps flickering, but so far, so good with that.

My mom is down near Beckley. They have about 18 inches with more on the way. I'm glad I didn't 'escape' to her house!

Thanks for posting - my parents are in Solomon's Island, MD and I've been worrying.

I wonder how tiny little St George's island is faring?

I live in an area that was VERY effected by Irene flooding in Vermont. Recover is still in progress so this was scary but we appear to have fared well this time. We did not lose power last night! It was pretty gusty around 9:30pm and again around 4:30 so lots of branches and leaves but no trees down in my area. School is in session today and it seems like most people are going around business as usual. But we keep getting heavy rain showers followed by sunshine intermittently which has been odd. I have prayers for those effected recovery is only beginning and the devastation is starting to be seen. I hope recovery comes quickly for them.

My cousin told me people were surfing in Lake Erie the other day. I can't even imagine that!

Inquiring minds want to know! Where does one purchase a surf board in northwest Ohio???? It's not like the waves on Erie are so noticeable that there is a RonJon's on the beachfront! Hee-Hee :D

Faith

Power's on. Trees down everywhere - one is blocking my road. Dh & kids are off tomorrow again - making it the 3rd day. I can't get in touch with my mom or sister who live in Long Island. Last I heard a tree came down in her backyard pulling down all the power lines with it. No home phone or cell service there.

I'm scheduled to go to work at 5pm. I hope they close the office soon so I don't have to go. Driving will be hell. And since 90% of my co-workers take public transportation, I have no idea why we're open at all.

We survived, with power to boot. Minor roof damage, lots of debris in the yard. Friends in Ocean City, MD are fine, and a family member in NYC is fine - his home made it through without flooding, but he did see cars floating down the street.

So sorry for those who didn't fare as well...

here are more daytime photos of our fallen tree. luckily, our next door neighbor was walking his dog and noticed the tree in our driveway. he called his friend on the next block who happens to have an excavator and they helped my husband saw/move the tree.

you can also see how many trees we have on the property and how close it came to the house.

we were super lucky

robin in nj

post-18340-13535087756607_thumb.jpg

post-18340-13535087756827_thumb.jpg

post-18340-13535087757027_thumb.jpg

We made it through the storm and both of our houses are fine. Only a handful of homes an our area still have power and for once we.are blessed to be.among them.

Sorry about the typos but our cable internet is down and I am posting from my phone with the voice activation. It is a nuisance 2 type on the phone but I am not great with the voice thing, either.

Someone asked about justamouse-- i havent heard from her, but she is probably fine... but almost her entire town is without power and may not get it restored for.7-10 days, so she.may not be around for.a.while. I hope she is able to check in soon.

I am so relieved that nono is OK-- I was thinking of her and Jeannie in NJ last night as I watched the shore areas on the news. Has anyone heard from Jeannie yet?

Again, sorry about all the typos!

22 hours without power, 2 leaky roof spots, 1 downed tree...all in all we were very fortunate. I am an hour north of Baltimore, Md

We have relatives in Maryland, and I think they also escaped the worst, fortunately.

I've been thinking of all you guys on the east coast... from far away in England. :001_smile:

Lost power for 26 hours. Had half of a tree come down. Spent the afternoon in ER with dd (she almost fainted and had an ovarian cyst rupture).

Power is back, tree is cleaned up, dd is feeling better. I'm going to bed. The wind was wicked last night so it was hard to sleep. And I was/am worried about my beloved Wildwood...and all of our barrier islands.

:grouphug: for dd, I would faint if I had an ovarian cyst rupture! I'm glad you're safe.

Lost power for 26 hours. Had half of a tree come down. Spent the afternoon in ER with dd (she almost fainted and had an ovarian cyst rupture).

Power is back, tree is cleaned up, dd is feeling better. I'm going to bed. The wind was wicked last night so it was hard to sleep. And I was/am worried about my beloved Wildwood...and all of our barrier islands.

Inquiring minds want to know! Where does one purchase a surf board in northwest Ohio???? It's not like the waves on Erie are so noticeable that there is a RonJon's on the beachfront! Hee-Hee :D

Faith

They have surf shops where we vacation on Lake Michigan. They mostly sell SUP boards these days, but you can buy surf boards and buggy boards and other water toys.

I am on Eastern Shore MD 45 min away from Atlantic.

We haven't lost power either. We have a tree on the roof but thankfully it is a small one and didn't go through the roof. And our septic is backing up due to the large amount of rain. We got about 8-9 inches. Hopefully it will dry up and our drain field will not be damaged.

All in all we are very blessed it could have been sooo much worse. We have several oaks close to the house that are huge and would have gone right through the roof.

And I was/am worried about my beloved Wildwood...and all of our barrier islands.

Don't worry about Wildwood. While it is true that Wildwood and North Wildwood took on a lot water, it went back out pretty well. A few pockets of difficulty, but largely island is in one piece. With the electric still on, any standing water is getting pumped out.

Two photos for you...

Monday morning high tide from the south looking towards the Convention Center:

IMG_0969c.jpg

Monday evening bay low tide, one hour off ocean high tide (we're closer to the ocean):

IMG0961c.jpg

Our prayers and thoughts go out to the folks further north and inland, who had real panic and devastation.

Our town had the highest wind-speed gust in CT, and the sea water came over the Boston Post Road at several points. Whole neighbourhoods were flooded.

We live 10 miles inland. Power was out for 36 hours for us, but the vast majority of our town is still out and trees/lines are down. Schools are closed for the week :-) We had two lovely evenings playing charades by candlelight. But I'm very thankful to be running the washing machine today.

Anyone else? It seems there were more... I know roughly 25,000 in a few county area around here still don't have power (according to the news report).

I hope all are well and feel for those dealing with extensive cleanup and/or power outages (not to mention relatives of those who lost their lives).

All of my NJ friends and family are having difficulty finding gas for their generators. It's making me nervous b/c dh is driving back and forth from PA to NYC to dry buildings!

Once again, I'm glad we bought that Prius!

Yes gas is in short supply. People are going into PA for it. DH waited for two hours in line at the gas station so we won't run out incase it gets worse. Still without power, lucky to have water as a few towns have lost it. I love my generator.

We had no power for 20 hrs, our normally bone dry basement got some water when the sump failed despite DH manually bailing water. He slept for 3 hrs that night, set the alarm for 3am but it was already overflowing and our carpet and padding were saturated. He spent the next 15 hrs manually scooping out the sump pit. At some point in that period, a neighbor loaned us a generator to get it pumped out temporarily, and it was easier to manage by then. Unfortunately, we already had sustained flooding to the carpet and padding.

Fortunately we have some waiver as part of our HO insurance for sump failure. The remediation guys were here yesterday and removed the carpet, some drywall (DH removed more as we weren't happy with some of what they left), and set up big fans and dehumidifiers. Some of our personal items are totaled. It will be a pain to clean up and get back in order, especially since in the colder weather my kids use that space as their playroom and a place to burn off energy. Now we need new padding, new carpet, and we have a whole lotta drywall that needs repaired. Even though our damage wasn't as extensive as it could have been, it will still be a bit costly out of pocket. We have 5K max in benefits, and the remediation co. alone is estimating 2500 for their services. We still need to fix drywall, carpet, padding, replace personal items (train table, bookshelf, etc.).

It could be worse though. My neighbors across the street got 6 inches and 3 inches of standing water. I haven't seen any remediation companies over there, and I know one of them has a finished basement. One cut out their carpet and padding but I haven't heard or seen anything about drywall. I hope they don't end up with bigger issues down the road.

Edited by Momof3littles

They have surf shops where we vacation on Lake Michigan. They mostly sell SUP boards these days, but you can buy surf boards and buggy boards and other water toys.

We live near Sleeping Bear Dunes up here and I guess the local surf shop in Empire, MI had a booming weekend selling boards and insulated wet suits. Brrrrr. Not my cup of tea but the waves were incredible to look at!! :001_smile:

I know. I did experience a power outages in very cold winter with an ice storm and not only were my kids and I there (and of course, dh was tdy as he always seems to be during bad weather and problems), but we were having a speech and debate tournament at our co-op location and we were hosting at our house a mom, her two kids and one of those kid's debate partners. It was an experience but really, I know that if I had lived here in Huntsville when the tornadoes came through and the power was out for a week throughout the whole area, I would have left the area, gone to the beach, and had a nice time.

I have family in western MD and they are reporting 2.5 - 3 ft of very wet, heavy snow. The power went out Monday to about 80% of their county. The electric crews are starting in the east part if the state and working west. They may have crews in the area starting Saturday or early next week.

Luckily a few towns nearby have power and gas. There are lots of trees down and still coming down. I am sure that sections of West Virginia are very similar.

We lost power Monday early afternoon. They estimate it may not be back for 7 to 14 days. We don't have a generator but we were doing okay with the fireplace but no electricity means no water so today we decided to head down to MIL's in South Jersey. They are inland and didn't have any power outages at all.

We did have a tree come down and almost hit the house. It landed on the cross-bar to our new swingset and is now suspended over the top of the house. Another tree took the side mirror and put a dent in dd's Jeep, but it was okay to drive.

Our neighborhood is a small dead-end community. Almost every yard has trees down. There isn't a single unaffected wire in the whole neighborhood. We are more than likely fairly far down the list for repairs.

Lines for gas in North Jersey are HUGE since there are very few gas stations open. By the time we were past Toms River on the Parkway, gas was a lot easier to find and the lines were fairly normal.

Glad to see Nono was okay. I was thinking about her when I saw what happened at the shore.

We made it through the storm and both of our houses are fine. Only a handful of homes an our area still have power and for once we.are blessed to be.among them.

Sorry about the typos but our cable internet is down and I am posting from my phone with the voice activation. It is a nuisance 2 type on the phone but I am not great with the voice thing, either.

Someone asked about justamouse-- i havent heard from her, but she is probably fine... but almost her entire town is without power and may not get it restored for.7-10 days, so she.may not be around for.a.while. I hope she is able to check in soon.

I am so relieved that nono is OK-- I was thinking of her and Jeannie in NJ last night as I watched the shore areas on the news. Has anyone heard from Jeannie yet?

Again, sorry about all the typos!

:grouphug: Glad you're all ok!

We're back up and running as of 2 am last night. We were the last two streets in town to get power back.

Because of the natural gas stove, and the natural gas hot water heater, we were able to at least take hot showers and cook, which was great because I had family and neighbors here we were letting use the facilities, and feeding people, making lots of people tea and coffee and such. Town water saved us, this time!

My lessons learned are to have MUCH more toilet paper on hand because though we had enough, if it went on longer, we wouldn't have had enough for all that were here.

I didn't have paper towels, which I could have used, and I should have gotten more paper napkins and feminine products.