Menu

Sandy updates ... How are you faring?

:grouphug: Glad you're all ok!

We're back up and running as of 2 am last night. We were the last two streets in town to get power back.

Because of the natural gas stove, and the natural gas hot water heater, we were able to at least take hot showers and cook, which was great because I had family and neighbors here we were letting use the facilities, and feeding people, making lots of people tea and coffee and such. Town water saved us, this time!

My lessons learned are to have MUCH more toilet paper on hand because though we had enough, if it went on longer, we wouldn't have had enough for all that were here.

I didn't have paper towels, which I could have used, and I should have gotten more paper napkins and feminine products.

Good to hear from you, justamouse! Thanks for the tips in this post!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have paper towels, which I could have used, and I should have gotten more paper napkins and feminine products.

I went shopping Friday before the storm and for some reason didn't realize we didn't have paper towels. Since we didn't have water, paper towels would have been good to have on hand.:tongue_smilie:

Dottieanna - I'm glad you're okay and you have a place to go. In my area the first neighborhoods/houses to get electricity back are the ones with well water since they are doubly stuck. Perhaps you'll be on the shorter end of that estimate since you've got well too.

This would be nice but I doubt it. We are usually the last to get power back. We were among the last 200 in our county after Irene. Before we left we didn't see ANY power trucks. There were still trees down on the lines all over the place and they will need to be taken care of before the power can be fixed. We also happen to be on the last back street of our neighborhood so we could end up a day or two later than some of our neighbors.

I'm not too worried because we are lucky enough to have places to go. We're down at MIL's for the weekend. My mother will probably have power by Monday (she may now, I haven't been able to check in with her yet) and we'll go back up to her house - she's only about 5 miles from our house so dh will be able to go to work and I can get more clothes and stuff for the kids.

27 hours with no power

170 hours to go

We were hearing 7-10 days here too (central NJ), but we got power back about an hour ago.

We lost power on Monday night, but we had no water problems and have a gas oven and stove. We were cold, and we lost a bunch of food in our fridge and freezer, but otherwise, no trees down (my HUGE fear), no damage to the house/fence/shed, no leaks, etc. We're very thankful, and very grateful to the hard-working PSE&G workers (and sub-contractors)!

I'm worried about Jeannie though :( The pictures of the devastation in Seaside Heights, Lavallette, Point Pleasant etc. are very concerning.

Our power went out Monday around noon. We got it back long enough Monday night to post that it was back, before it went out again. It came back on late yesterday. Our problem was the wind. Last night two of the major power plants for Detroit Edison went down. :001_huh: Friends of ours have family in from Staten Island. :(

Edited by melmichigan

Thanks for the tips in this post!

Welcome! :D

Another thing we did that helped a lot was to boil pots of hot water on the stove for heat, and shut down all ancillary rooms to the house. It kept things warm *enough*. We still slept with hats and layers on, but it make it not as bad.

And yes, you need to put a hat on when you sleep. You'll be snug as a bug in the bed--and your head will be freezing and you won't be able to sleep!

We lined up all of the kids mattresses in our bedroom and PILED them with blankets and quilts. Thankfully I have TONS of blankets. They looked like an old picture of 5 kids in a bed, all with hats on. :D

We were hearing 7-10 days here too (central NJ), but we got power back about an hour ago.

We lost power on Monday night, but we had no water problems and have a gas oven and stove. We were cold, and we lost a bunch of food in our fridge and freezer, but otherwise, no trees down (my HUGE fear), no damage to the house/fence/shed, no leaks, etc. We're very thankful, and very grateful to the hard-working PSE&G workers (and sub-contractors)!

I'm worried about Jeannie though :( The pictures of the devastation in Seaside Heights, Lavallette, Point Pleasant etc. are very concerning.

JCPL just showed in my town today. We are still 90% with no power. And every day they say it will be 7-10 days.

OK here in NE NJ, but no power since Monday. We have everything we need. Cell towers were iffy first few days, but they seem to be back up. Local police & municipal office have power strips for charging phones. Lots of trees down, bringing power lines with them. No idea when power will be back. At least we don't need gas -- lines are many blocks long for one pump -- hours!

Most useful help -- headlamps we use for camping. They focus light where needed, fine for reading, and only 1 AAA battery per day!

Hope everyone else is OK.

Oh my. My brother in SW PA finally has power, so I talked to one of my nieces. My mother (western MD) may not have power for a month! They got over 3 feet of wet heavy snow falling on trees that still had leaves on them in high winds, thunder and lightning. That area is used to getting a lot of snow, and 3 feet from one storm is not uncommon. But... because the leaves were still on the trees, the extra weight means thousands of trees down, besides power lines and transformers. There are still roads that are inaccessible and concern is growing that people are going to be found frozen to death. It's really insulting that the Baltimore Sun keeps posting on facebook that Maryland dodged a bullet when there are people in the state who are saying they've never seen anything like this... again, it's not the quantity of snow, but the massive destruction. The governor finally got out there today to coordinate some assistance. Yesterday, 85% of the county didn't have power, today it's down to 59% as power has been restored in some of the towns. But the outlying areas are going to take awhile.

Thankfully, my mom has a woodstove for heat. My brother took them to mom's husband's house to get his generator, so they can keep the fridge and freezer cold. All of the stores ran out of generators, so there are some shelters open for people who don't have heat, if they get the information and can get there.

Here's a link if you want to read more about it. http://www.wbal.com/article/95134/2/template-story/Garrett-County-Administrator-A-Storm-Like-Ive-Never-Seen-Before

I finally lost power in the Poconos. My property is covered inr roof shingles. Just took pics for insurance.

Tons of road closures in the area.

I am an hour east of you near the NJ line. We still do not have power. It went out Monday afternoon and they are *hoping* it will be on this weekend, but said it could be Monday-Wednesday.

We finally got a room tonight - Yea! :party: - just to have a hot shower and heat. The house is cold, no water (well) and cooking on the grill was getting old. I am not a pioneer girl.... I admit it.

I am glad everyone else is doing well. I know it could have been much, much worse where we are.

It is good to see everyone on the boards. I have missed you! We are going home Saturday. It may be days before I am back on, but wanted to say hello. :D

I am an hour east of you near the NJ line. We still do not have power. It went out Monday afternoon and they are *hoping* it will be on this weekend, but said it could be Monday-Wednesday.

We finally got a room tonight - Yea! :party: - just to have a hot shower and heat. The house is cold, no water (well) and cooking on the grill was getting old. I am not a pioneer girl.... I admit it.

I am glad everyone else is doing well. I know it could have been much, much worse where we are.

It is good to see everyone on the boards. I have missed you! We are going home Saturday. It may be days before I am back on, but wanted to say hello. :D

Oh my goodness. We had hot water and could cook indoors, and it was getting old. I can't imagine having no hot water and grilling for days on end. I would have booked a room days ago! I give you lots of credit for hanging on as long as you did.

Sweet Morning Air, do you mind my asking what county you're in? My parents are in Union County and my ILs are in Passaic, and neither one has any power. (My parents got water back, though.) PSE&G has been saying 7-10 days.

My folks want to leave and just go somewhere, possibly just come here to us in TN, but the roads around them are so bad -- downed trees and wires, traffic lights not working, etc -- that they are afraid to drive.

So glad to hear that folks are OK! (Nono, I was a bit concerned about you, too.)

Edited by JennyD

Sweet Morning Air, do you mind my asking what county you're in? My parents are in Union County and my ILs are in Passaic, and neither one has any power. (My parents got water back, though.) PSE&G has been saying 7-10 days.

My folks want to leave and just go somewhere, possibly just come here to us in TN, but the roads around them are so bad -- downed trees and wires, traffic lights not working, etc -- that they are afraid to drive.

So glad to hear that folks are OK! (Nono, I was a bit concerned about you, too.)

PMed you, Jenny :D

I'm in Bergen County, NJ. We are still without power but we have gas and can cook inside and take hot showers. It is a bit chilly but during the day we are boiling water on the stove for heat. It really helps a lot! There are various charging stations set up in town and a few stores open within walking distance or a short drive. We are conserving gas and going out for extreme necessities. My husband managed to buy an inverter so that my I laws can do their breathing treatments. We haven't seen PSE&G at all, and we have blocked trees all around us. Our closest store had no milk and barely any bread. We feel very lucky around here though. We just saw some pictures of other areas, and it blows my mind! I worry about the elderly and others who may not be able to manage.

I'm in Bergen County, NJ. We are still without power but we have gas and can cook inside and take hot showers. It is a bit chilly but during the day we are boiling water on the stove for heat. It really helps a lot! There are various charging stations set up in town and a few stores open within walking distance or a short drive. We are conserving gas and going out for extreme necessities. My husband managed to buy an inverter so that my I laws can do their breathing treatments. We haven't seen PSE&G at all, and we have blocked trees all around us. Our closest store had no milk and barely any bread. We feel very lucky around here though. We just saw some pictures of other areas, and it blows my mind! I worry about the elderly and others who may not be able to manage.

I sent you a pm. At least I think I did -- not used to phone typing -- re supermarket.

I'm so glad to hear everyone is safe and I hope that those who need help and supplies can get them quickly. :grouphug:

My cousin posted this on facebook and I thought I'd share in case it will help someone:

AutismCares is actively seeking families affected by autism who are victims of Hurricane Sandy and invites those families to call the Autism Response Team at 1-888-Autism2 (288-4762), En Español at 888-772-9050, or email autismcares@autismspeaks.org to receive assistance. Families may also register directly at http://www.autismcares.org. Please pass the info on to anyone who might need help.

In northern NJ, still no sense that power will be restored soon. Terrible gasoline shortages -- tankers have not offloaded yet, but even if they do, pumping stations lack power. Some sewage getting dumped, as treatment plant has no power. And in one town, Police stopped Patrolling because of lack of gas.

I know we are still very lucky compared to those who lost so, so much more. But it is still frustrating.

Sorry for typos -- phone tyPing.

In northern NJ, still no sense that power will be restored soon. Terrible gasoline shortages -- tankers have not offloaded yet, but even if they do, pumping stations lack power. Some sewage getting dumped, as treatment plant has no power. And in one town, Police stopped Patrolling because of lack of gas.

I know we are still very lucky compared to those who lost so, so much more. But it is still frustrating.

I'm so sorry. I really can't imagine. :( :grouphug:

Oh my goodness. We had hot water and could cook indoors, and it was getting old. I can't imagine having no hot water and grilling for days on end. I would have booked a room days ago! I give you lots of credit for hanging on as long as you did.

Thanks so much. DH said the same thing, but I promise I was losing it.

We tried to get a room earlier but they were booked all week. I am thankful fo the 2 nights we did get. We are going home tomorrow, but power was turned on this evening.

I am now looking forward to washing dishes, doing laundry and vacuuming the floors. :lol:

Heads up

Just got an email from the state saying as of noon tomorrow the state is rationing gas on an odd/even system based on your license plate.

I just saw that too. It doesn't sound as though they are expecting more gas in the immediate future. As for power, current prediction is another 7-10 days without. Not horrible, but discouraging. I wonder how our great grandparents managed!

I'm so grateful that you ladies have checked in and that you are all doing as well as you are... all things considered.

I'll admit, the first thing I thought, reading through the posts, was "care packages!"... but am I correct in assuming there wouldn't be a way to get them to those board members who need them? If gas shortages are that bad, I can't imagine companies are making deliveries and any *close by* board members are probably suffering from the gas shortages too... right? :confused:

I'm so grateful that you ladies have checked in and that you are all doing as well as you are... all things considered.

I'll admit, the first thing I thought, reading through the posts, was "care packages!"... but am I correct in assuming there wouldn't be a way to get them to those board members who need them? If gas shortages are that bad, I can't imagine companies are making deliveries and any *close by* board members are probably suffering from the gas shortages too... right? :confused:

Yes, I think so. It's bad right now. I have 3/4 tank, and I'm holding onto it in case DH needs it to get to work this week. I really want to go do some grocery shopping and bring some stuff to the desperate shelters at the shore, but I get terrible gas mileage and DH works 45 minutes away and has to go in. I haven't decided yet what to do.

We're getting mail but no packages right now, so I don't know what that means. But I'd bet care packages would have a hard time getting through now :(

Thanks so much. DH said the same thing, but I promise I was losing it.

We tried to get a room earlier but they were booked all week. I am thankful fo the 2 nights we did get. We are going home tomorrow, but power was turned on this evening.

I am now looking forward to washing dishes, doing laundry and vacuuming the floors. :lol:

That is great news! My parents are still out, and so are my good friends. My friends all have places to go, but my parents are at their house in the cold :( They have a generator, but are just about out of gas, and they refuse to drive over here (only 30 minutes away :smash:).

That was the first thing I said when ours came back on--I was never so happy to do laundry in my life!

Yes, I think so. It's bad right now. I have 3/4 tank, and I'm holding onto it in case DH needs it to get to work this week. I really want to go do some grocery shopping and bring some stuff to the desperate shelters at the shore, but I get terrible gas mileage and DH works 45 minutes away and has to go in. I haven't decided yet what to do.

We're getting mail but no packages right now, so I don't know what that means. But I'd bet care packages would have a hard time getting through now :(

That really stinks. I think many of us would love to put together care packages for those affected. Are the roads okay? Any church parishes on the outskirts of the affected areas that would have the gas to distribute (although I imagine they are too busy right now to run care packages to The Hive, lol)?

That really stinks. I think many of us would love to put together care packages for those affected. Are the roads okay? Any church parishes on the outskirts of the affected areas that would have the gas to distribute (although I imagine they are too busy right now to run care packages to The Hive, lol)?

Not that I know of, off the top of my head. I only have a list of shelters, and they're all a good 45-60 minutes from me. Our roads are OK, not great, but it varies greatly by town. My parents' town, although inland, is still a wreck, with trees and lines down everywhere.

Not that I know of, off the top of my head. I only have a list of shelters, and they're all a good 45-60 minutes from me. Our roads are OK, not great, but it varies greatly by town. My parents' town, although inland, is still a wreck, with trees and lines down everywhere.

Please let me know if there is anything you are able to have delivered by mail and need.

Also, please let us know if the ability of those affected to receive packages changes anytime soon!

Please let me know if there is anything you are able to have delivered by mail and need.

Also, please let us know if the ability of those affected to receive packages changes anytime soon!

I'll do that. We are set here, thankfully, but thank you for offering. But I just realized that DH is headed down in that general direction tomorrow. I'll see how close he can get to any shelters and report back in if I'm able to coordinate anything. I'd just hate to have people send packages and then they take weeks to get here or something :( I'll see what I can find out!

DH and I were just talking.

If you are close to the PA, NJ & NY border and need help or a place to stay (now that we have power), please PM me.

We have 2 extra rooms and access to 'things' (household, food, clothing, towels - you name it) and would love to help in any way we can.

:grouphug:

Still no power. Practically tackled the peg truck yesterday and wondered if I flashed my books if he could get my power restored. I did offer him a beverage. i told him i would offer him a hot beverage but i have no power. he chuckled. Found out we are low priority and the repair is a three crew job. Tree down the block took out two poles and is laying there wrapped in wires.

I am grateful to our neighbors with power who ran us an extension cord so we can run the fridge. Temp wise it has not been too bad until this morning. It is pretty chilly in here. I am also thankful to my friends who have been letting us hang with them all day and feeding us lunch and dinner and let me do some laundry every day since the power went out.

I am also thankful for our fireplace which has helped although we are almost out of usable wood. I am hoping power comes back before next weeks big storm.

Before the police became involved with the gas lines I got out of my car and told the guy who was trying to cut to get to the back of he line and wait his turn like everyone else. He asked me what I wanted him to do since he came from the opposite direction. I told him I wanted him to do what everyone else did. Turn around and go to the end of the line. He drove off.

I passed a 2 mile gas line this morning when venturing out to a nearby grocer. My section of the city had the most deaths and tremendous damage. About two dozen people died locally including 3 children and many elderly. The destroyed houses are on streets I've driven all the time. One of the most tragic deaths took place a stone's throw away from one of the high schools I recently visited with DD (the library thread...) We've had power back since wednesday but still no heat. DH has no idea how he's getting to work next week. He always take public transportation which is not fully running.

Edited by butterflymommy

Today is weird.

I've been so focused on my personal situation, my (non-coastal) NJ relatives' updates and shore news that I haven't really thought too much about my general neighborhood.

Beyond my house, 25k people still have no power in the county. Roads to schools are still closed. I had to drop off papers, so I toured a tiny section of the community and houses looked okay, but there are uprooted trees all over.

Trick or treat in neighboring townships was rescheduled for today (parks, malls, etc.) but I'm afraid to use the gas b/c NJeans are coming to our stations (which I support, but I'm still nervous!)

There was a dusting of snow on my deck this morning, and the car read 27 degrees. I'm really worried about losing power again with the next storm.

And my roof still isn't tarped!

:grouphug: I hope things get better soon!

The gas lines near us have disappeared -- now the stations have "no gas" signs. Still no power. Passed a house today with three cars in th driveway; the outermost one had a tree smashed into it and partially downed wires across the road. Every time I am ready to complain, I see someone worse off. But I am also a bit jealous of people who have whole house generators that tie into the natural gas lines! :smash:

The gas lines near us have disappeared -- now the stations have "no gas" signs. Still no power. Passed a house today with three cars in th driveway; the outermost one had a tree smashed into it and partially downed wires across the road. Every time I am ready to complain, I see someone worse off. But I am also a bit jealous of people who have whole house generators that tie into the natural gas lines!

Edited by Alessandra