Menu

Does an 8 year old belong on the roof?

There's not a simple answer. My ds9 has helped his Dad once or twice (retrieving toys, painting eaves), but DH was very close by and is VERY attentive and careful. Ds9 is also obedient and responsible, and is likely to follow instructions to the letter.

So, it depends. It depends on how responsible the adult in charge is and it depends on how mature and responsible the child is.

sure with supervision.

This reminds me of the Little House episode where Mr. Edwards nails baby Carrie's dress to the roof so he can keep an eye on her while repairing the roof.

It also reminds me that when I was a kid my house was the place to be because we were the latchkey children in the neighborhood. One of the activities was playing on the roof (one story on the part we climbed, but 2 story for most of it). We played tag up there. Sometimes 15-20 kids. I remember one day my dad getting on the roof then complaining to my mother that he didn't understand why the brand new roof was wearing so quickly--the company he contracted with must have used low quality tiles. Dad still does not know. It's been 40 years. I think the other moms looked down at my mother for working, but no one stopped their kid from coming over. Thankfully, the only person who fell off the roof was my older sister, who told dad she fell off her bike.

I guess laws are different in each country.

Here you practically need a licence for working on a roof, and then you have to follow very strict guidelines, including wearing a harness at all times etc. Many many people have died falling off single story roofs. My Brother (an electrician , who has a licence to work on roofs) fell off one, he landed on his back, broke 4 ribs and tore several ligaments. A local builder was killed when he fell of a single story roof. Would I allow a child to be working on the roof? no way.

So, it depends. It depends on how responsible the adult in charge is and it depends on how mature and responsible the child is.

Starting at around the age of six, I helped my dad on the roof with the beehives he kept up there. He was very careful to watch me closely and make sure I didn't go near the edge without him there. He didn't let my brother help out until he was 10 because my brother didn't take directions very well.

It really depends on the child. If you have a child who is mature for their age and listens and follows directions then go for it.

I guess laws are different in each country.

Here you practically need a licence for working on a roof, and then you have to follow very strict guidelines, including wearing a harness at all times etc. Many many people have died falling off single story roofs. My Brother (an electrician , who has a licence to work on roofs) fell off one, he landed on his back, broke 4 ribs and tore several ligaments. A local builder was killed when he fell of a single story roof. Would I allow a child to be working on the roof? no way.

Do you have to have a license and wear a harness to work on your own roof? I would think all that regulation would apply to working on other people's roofs. My husband does all sorts of maintenance work around our house and property; we rarely hire anything out. Ds9 and dd16 help him quite often with everything from car repairs to putting up Christmas lights, repairing fences, cleaning out barns, etc. Nearly every job comes with risk. Repairing fences, you have to deal with sharp, rusty barbed wire; Christmas lights--there are ladders to climb; cleaning out barns, you're bound to encounter snakes, mice, spiders and the occasional yellow-jacket nest.

My husband teaches our kids about safety while they learn how to work and we all work hard. I wouldn't have it any other way. Occasionally there may be something I feel is too risky (or vice versa) and when that happens we have the "no vote wins" rule. (If either parent votes "no" on an activity, it doesn't happen.)

When my boys were newly 9 and 11, they helped my dh build a screened porch off the back of my house and ROOFED IT with their dad's help. You wouldn't believe the stuff they can do now.

I have one son who, to this day, I would not want to see on a roof. :lol:

If it's not your kid, you really can't make a judgement call on it.

I also say it depends on the child and the roof. I used to play on the roof of both our house and our barn growing up. My dad is a builder and I was on roofs, in rafters of unfinished houses, etc. helping him from the time I was big enough to hold the end of the tape. My brother was not much of a climber and would hold on with both hands if his feet were off the floor, so he wasn't much help with any work requiring climbing. Even though he was 6 years older, I got to help dad with any jobs that required climbing or heights. It is pretty much the same with my DS and DDs; the girls would be much more comfortable at heights. Our roof is very steep though, so I would be more cautious with the kids on it than I would on most other houses.

Do you have to have a license and wear a harness to work on your own roof? I would think all that regulation would apply to working on other people's roofs. My husband does all sorts of maintenance work around our house and property; we rarely hire anything out. Ds9 and dd16 help him quite often with everything from car repairs to putting up Christmas lights, repairing fences, cleaning out barns, etc. Nearly every job comes with risk. Repairing fences, you have to deal with sharp, rusty barbed wire; Christmas lights--there are ladders to climb; cleaning out barns, you're bound to encounter snakes, mice, spiders and the occasional yellow-jacket nest.

My husband teaches our kids about safety while they learn how to work and we all work hard. I wouldn't have it any other way. Occasionally there may be something I feel is too risky (or vice versa) and when that happens we have the "no vote wins" rule. (If either parent votes "no" on an activity, it doesn't happen.)

You are not meant to be working on your own roof.

If you were re cladding your roof and are caught, you can get a 1 year good behaviour bond, or a hefty fine.

I would imagine that if it was discovered that you had children on the roof working, that would probably involve child protection.

Two answers.

1. I totally trust my husband with the saftey of our kids.

2. Inside? I would be freaking because *I* hate heights. Hate. Vertigo, spinning, yarking.

I don't want my kids to catch that from me. Go ahead, go out on the roof with your dad. If you need me, I'll be int he bathroom with my head int he toilet.

If you were re cladding your roof and are caught, you can get a 1 year good behaviour bond, or a hefty fine.

I would imagine that if it was discovered that you had children on the roof working, that would probably involve child protection.

But define "working on." I mean, surely you can clean your own gutters or replace a couple of loose shingles on your own roof?

Our roof is flat and rubber. So it wouldn't be any more dangerous than any other high up flat surface. Just stay away from the edge.

Is this an Australia thing? I've never heard of it being illegal to work on your own roof.

Depends on the child and adult supervising. Would I want my 8 year old playing on the roof? No. Helping dad up there on a stable shingled roof that was not overly steep away from teh edge, sure why not...provided kid was not the type to decide to take a running leap off the edge or parent was not the type to ignore dangerous behaviour up there etc

Are you sure about this? My quick google search came up with nothing but DIY advice for roof repair in Australia. No mention of it being illegal.

<p>

Are you sure about this? My quick google search came up with nothing but DIY advice for roof repair in Australia. No mention of it being illegal.

As far as I am aware it is not illegal where I am (Western Australia), though you may need a licensed builder to do something like replace the whole roof. In the country children are on the roof helping frequently.

In Victoria you have to have a roofing licence to replace your roof. Mostly it is plumbers that have the roofing licence.

Electricians have a licence to do work on the roof that involves removing sections of the roof to get inside.

My DH, (very much a do it yourself man) did our plumbing and put the cladding on our roof. Unfortunately he got caught. And he had to go to court and had a 1 year good behaviour bond.

It is not illegal to go onto your own roof, just doing roofing is illegal. Do people do it? in the country they do, but if they get caught , it isn't good.

you can clean your own gutters, there is no need to go onto the roof to do it.