Menu

Sunscreen: How diligent are you about making your kids use it?

POLL: How diligent are you aboout having your kids wear sunscreen?  

1. 1. POLL: How diligent are you aboout having your kids wear sunscreen?

• We always wear sunscreen when outdoors.
    • I tell the kids to put it on. My responsibility ends there.
    • It's just a way for dermatologists to stay in business now that acne is practically cured.
    • I have a healthy respect for the sun but I don't go overboard.

My recent panic/scare which thankfully concluded with a benign skin cancer biopsy had me wtching people at our pool today as far as sunscreen and who put it on their kids, themselves, and who didn't bother with it.

So, take my poll, please and comment if you feel the need.

thanks

FTR, i did so much reading about skin cancer on monday and tueday night, i know that i read that it's fair skinned people or people who burn easily who have to be the most concerned and the most diligent about wearing sunscreen.

I voted healthy respect, but I don't go overboard. I take better care of my ds's skin, although I am much fairer. Thankfully, my kids did not get my light Irish complexion. Their dad is one quarter Arab, so although he seems on the light side, he tans very easily and is slow to burn. The kids are taking after him.

I put sunblock on their faces, ears, and necks only when we are out between 11 and 3. After 3, I let them be. If swimming during those hours, I also get their shins, tops of the feet, and entire torso.

I apply sunscreen to them when I know they will be in direct sun for a while -- on the water, at the beach, etc. If they go out and play in our partly-shaded lawn, then I don't apply it.

I had several bad burns as a child, and I haven't worn a bathing suit since I was 20, and I had skin cancer removed from my back.

We all have fair skin.

We use it only if we are having a serious sun day. All day at a waterpark, beach, etc. For a few hours at the park, we don't use it at all. We are very fair skinned. I've always thought there was some balance between getting enough vitamin d and not getting burned.

I agree, but if the few hours in the park were not in part-shade, my kids would have severe burns. :tongue_smilie:

I apply sunscreen to them when I know they will be in direct sun for a while -- on the water, at the beach, etc. If they go out and play in our partly-shaded lawn, then I don't apply it.

:iagree:

It's not just about cancer, really. My husband took the boys kayaking. He applied the sunscreen in the morning. Then a couple hours later, he reapplied. Ben's leg was wet, so much of it slipped off. His burn was horrible. It didn't blister, and he wasn't in pain, but the streak areas are still reddish -- two weeks later. It looks quite odd. It just cannot be good.

Other

I don't believe in using sunscreen, instead we stay out of the sun in the middle of the day, or wear protective clothing.

This is what we do most of the time, but with the kayaking on the river, in 99 degree temps, there is no way to kayak or canoe a 4-hour trip between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm and not burn in our family.

I would hate saying they couldn't do such a thing, and I would hate for them to have to wear long everything just to experience it.

I'm fair skinned and burn easily - with blisters.:glare: Older dd is fair skinned and would probably burn just as easily, but I make sure she is always protected so we haven't had any blisters. I've already has pre-cancerous spots cut out, and my mom has had melanoma. I take it pretty seriously. We use sunscreen quite a bit here.

I don't put it on the kids to play outside usually. I have actually thought that odd as they often spend 3 to 6 hours per day outdoors, if not more. But if we GO somewhere, we put it on each time. Swimming, water park, Amusement park, slip n slide out back, etc are automatic times to put it on. We also use A LOT when we use it. For ME, I typically only put it across the tops of my cheeks and my nose and if there is any left, my chest. The kids are WHITE from the stuff though. Oh, and my big kids--my dd puts some on for trips. My ds has to be talked into it though he's allergic to the sun. Crazy.

I don't like sunscreen, so we use it only when absolutely necessary. Our first line of defence is training the kids to wear hats and long sleeves when out during medium or high UV times, and encouraging them to have outside play at the safer times in summer. Sunscreen is only for if they're going to be out for several hours, or they're not covering up adequately.

Full disclosure: I used to work in marketing for one of the big sunscreen brands.

Yes, advertising can be slick and sometimes misleading (especially in the US where advertising rules/ regs are far less strict than here in Canada) but the damage that UVA rays can do is very scary. We use sunscreen regularly.

8 minutes to burn here in October. Thank the ozone hole right over NZ.

In October, we just don't go out in the sun between 11 and 3. You can wear 30 sunscreen and still burn in those 4 hours (do the numbers). My husband has burned through a cotton shirt.

Besides avoiding peak sun, we wear hats as my younger is allergic to sunscreen. At school, kids are not allow to go outside for recess in elementary school from September to April unless they are wearing a hat - school policy across the country.

Ruth in NZ

I put it on them, at the beach, on the sailboat, at the water park, anywhere that they are likely to burn.

We play outside and swim in our pool without sunscreen. They use it at swim meets, but not swim practice.

I prefer for them to build up a base tan than to rely only on sunscreen.

My younger daughter is fair-skinned and requires more diligence with sunscreen. However, we still only use it when she is either playing in water outside or long days in the sun. She has never had a bad sunburn.

Sweet-pea is not fair skinned and doesn't have too many issues with the sun. She ALWAYS wears a hat as part of her personal "style" so that helps keep the sun off of her face.

I'm not convinced that slathering oneself with sunscreen full of chemicals is a better trade off than unprotected sun exposure. Further, I wonder if blocking the natural warning system of burning is a good idea either? I don't know, and I'm not wearing a tin foil hat while typing this.

We live at the shore. We go to the beach. We will put on one application of sunscreen before going to the beach. We play on the beach, boogie board, swim, and come back in about 2 1/2 hours. I'm the lightest and I max out at about 3 hours sun exposure. We practice a lot of aftercare for our skin: aloe, coffee lotion, coconut oil. We only go to the beach a couple days a week in season, and our skin has all winter to recover. If we lived in a 12 month "summer" place, I'd probably think differently.

I'm not convinced that slathering oneself with sunscreen full of chemicals is a better trade off than unprotected sun exposure. Further, I wonder if blocking the natural warning system of burning is a good idea either? I don't know, and I'm not wearing a tin foil hat while typing this.

:iagree: with this part of what nono wrote. When the snow melts we go out side for a little bit each day extending that time daily. By summer's end we are nicely tanned without having contaminated ourselves with chemicals nor without getting sunburned.

I use to put sunscreen on the kids, but now I am more worried about chemicals in sunscreen and also blocking vitamin d than about getting some sun. We also use coconut oil if needed and take fermented cod liver oil and I think that helps to protect us from the inside out. We were in Hawaii this year and we didn't get burned.

You don't have an other. ;-)

My kids are 8 & 3. I do try to remember to put it on them [and me]. I burn fairly easily, and I think my younger son is going to follow my footsteps there. My older son seems to tan really well, but not really burn. Sometimes his cheeks get red.

Anyway, I do try to remember to put it on them, sometimes I forget. I'm also crappy at reapplying if we've been out for a while.

So my intentions are good, but I'm not so good with follow-through.

I gravitate towards the more "natural" sunscreens with a physical barrier rather than the chemical barrier ones, though recently when my older son was in an outdoor camp all day I got him the spray kind so it would be uber-easy for him to apply to himself since the counselors can't help.

Also, I don't apply right away. I believe the need for vitamin D is really important, so I don't apply until we've been in the sun for a bit [30 mins about or 10:30-11:00ish timeframe when the sun is at its most potent]. And if we're out after 4 or so, I don't always bother.

ETA: Oh, and if they're just playing outside in our yard, I don't put it on them. There are lots of trees in our neighborhood.

Edited by Mama_Rana

It is NOT just fair skinned people! My sister has gorgeous dark skin and at the age of 27 had two very scary pre-cancerous things removed from her arm, with two layers of stitches.

I am fair skinned and I just try to stay out of the sun as much as possible. My girls get sunscreened up and wear protective clothing.

I needed the other option.

My kids are two blondes and a red-head so very fair skinned. My oldest is on her own, she's been taught to be careful and is usually good but has gotten a few mild sunburns recently.

For my younger two:

I don't do sunscreen in the winter.

I don't do sunscreen if we are only out before 11 or after 3:30/4.

In between, if we are going to be outside, I will put sunscreen on them and reapply after swimming, etc. (if we are staying longer than a few hours).

They both wear rash guards when swimming.

My younger two have never gotten sunburn.

We are all fair-skinned, but sunscreen is only used on occasion. YDS is allergic to all sunscreens we have tried except one that is $$$$ and has to be ordered online because no one carries it.

Instead, we generally stay indoors from 10-3. All play is done in the morning and afternoon/evening without protection (vitamin D and fresh air are important). If we have to go out in the middle of the day, wear long-sleeve SPF shirts and hats with either wide brims or ear-neck flaps.

We only wear sunscreen if we are going to be out all day (amusement park, where we still wear our SPF shirts and hats in addition to the sunscreen), we are swimming (hard to wear a hat), or if we are doing something around water (reflection off the lake sort of thing).

Edited by rgrin

Two of my children are dark skinned naturally and my other child is a hermit. :D

Really, we went from Michigan where there is only an average of 76 sunny days per year to Malaysia where it is so sunny and hot you spend most of your time in the shade or indoors with AC.

Sunscreen has never been much of an issue for us.

I chose the "healthy respect for the sun option".

I used to DOUSE us in sunscreen, Neutrogena Cool-Mist was my favorite.

But then, I started paying attention to the chemicals that were in our beauty products and realized that the sunscreen was LOADED with harmful chemicals. THEN I read all these articles (you can Google it) about how the nano-particles can not only cause cellular damage in humans, but it causes sex changes in fish, kills helpful bacteria and algae in the ocean (which in turn can kill off coral reefs) and does other harmful things to the environment.

And, there are no long term studies available on the long term use of the nano particles. AND, despite all the sunscreen use, skin cancer is on the rise. *sigh*

I tried using that Badger sunscreen, and it was crap. I think we burned MORE with it than without! And I went through several other natural brands that didn't work and I was feeling quite defeated.

So, I have since found this stuff, which is a titanium dioxide formula that is NOT nano-particle and considered environmental friendly. Unlike other all natural products, it works REALLY well. I balance it out by only putting it on when the sun is really strong, or we will be out in it for a long time. So I let us get a bit of sun for vitamin D, but then after 30 minutes of so, I put on the sunscreen and re-apply it as needed.

So far, this is working perfectly. I bought a bottle in the Spring, it was $18, but we are still using the same bottle and haven't had any burns at all :) I don't have anxiety about putting harmful chemicals all over us, or about destroying the environment and we still get our Vitamin D without getting burned.

we are fair. My dd doesn't burn as badly as ds and I do. But if we go to the park....no sunscreen unless it's super hot(over 90). An hour outside is good for our D levels.

Beach or camping or pool? Sunscreen.

Daily out and about? No sunscreen.

I also got very diligent about getting good sunscreen with less chemicals. I look on the http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/ site for info about sunscreen and try to buy something my ds isn't allergic to but has less dangerous chemicals. We would choose to go without sunscreen/wear long sleeves than put spray sunscreen on our skin these days.

"Other"?

Most of my kids are fair hair/skinned but we don't use sunscreen unless we are on vacation at the beach (maybe once every 2 years) or are planning to be in the sun for several hours (like when dh and ds did a 75 mile bike ride, or on a rare occasion on a boat or an outdoor pool). The younger ones at least are outside for a couple hours or so every day.

This is really going to depend on where you live, your skin type, and prior sun damage.

I had a number of blistering sunburns before puberty (my first one was recorded in my baby book... father stationed in Hawaii). By middle school and high school, I'd get sunburned in gym class if we were outdoors. If I'm out in the sun without sunscreen, I get a rash on my arms.

My dermatologist says the benefits of sunscreen outweigh any risks for me. I've had a number of dysplastic moles removed and go in to be looked over every 6 months.

I try to put sunscreen on my son if he's out during the summer from 10-4. He has my husband's skin and does seem to tan rather than burn.

And as an FYI for everyone... get to know the ABCDs of mole changes and do a self check regularly. Watch for moles especially on palms and soles of feet. A friend lost his wife due to a melanoma from a mole on the sole of her foot. (I'm doing a family medical history today so cancer is on my mind... and Alzheimers and heart disease... what fun :glare:)

I chose the "healthy respect for the sun option".

I used to DOUSE us in sunscreen, Neutrogena Cool-Mist was my favorite.

But then, I started paying attention to the chemicals that were in our beauty products and realized that the sunscreen was LOADED with harmful chemicals. THEN I read all these articles (you can Google it) about how the nano-particles can not only cause cellular damage in humans, but it causes sex changes in fish, kills helpful bacteria and algae in the ocean (which in turn can kill off coral reefs) and does other harmful things to the environment.

And, there are no long term studies available on the long term use of the nano particles. AND, despite all the sunscreen use, skin cancer is on the rise. *sigh*

I tried using that Badger sunscreen, and it was crap. I think we burned MORE with it than without! And I went through several other natural brands that didn't work and I was feeling quite defeated.

So, I have since found this stuff, which is a titanium dioxide formula that is NOT nano-particle and considered environmental friendly. Unlike other all natural products, it works REALLY well. I balance it out by only putting it on when the sun is really strong, or we will be out in it for a long time. So I let us get a bit of sun for vitamin D, but then after 30 minutes of so, I put on the sunscreen and re-apply it as needed.

So far, this is working perfectly. I bought a bottle in the Spring, it was $18, but we are still using the same bottle and haven't had any burns at all :) I don't have anxiety about putting harmful chemicals all over us, or about destroying the environment and we still get our Vitamin D without getting burned.

Very helpful post. And yeah, we had a houseful of people (all tones) get fried in one day on the beach using Badger sunscreen, so I totally concur. NONE of us would have come off the beach looking like we did with old Sea n Ski SPF 6 on us.

Also, sunscreen blocks vitamin D, AND for full vit D benefits, you shouldn't shower for 24 hours after sun exposure-which, between slathering ourselves with sunscreen and taking showers every day-it's no wonder we are all SO vitamin D deficient.

Perhaps it's being fair-skinned, but my Vit D levels are great, and I am not an outdoorsy person.

If we kayak this weekend, I'll use Blue Lizard physical sunscreen and a hat.

I voted for "It's just a way for dermatologists to stay in business now that acne is practically cured." Mostly because it made me laugh, and the others didn't really suit us.

We have to be outside with no shade for a long time for sunscreen to even cross our minds. We're an active scout family, and the kids are outdoors any chance they can get. We stay indoors more in the summer, but we'll be outdoors a LOT for the rest of the year.

Standard disclaimers: We have very pale kids, and kids who don't seem capable of getting a sunburn. (DH has a grandmother from dark-skinned Native American tribes, and the rest our kids get is Irish or Euro-mutt.) We live in the Phoenix area, where we nearly always have lots of sun. Except for this week, which has us wanting to grow gills.

Sun? What's that?:001_huh:

Oh, you mean that one day back in May when there were no clouds & it got really warm?

This. Well we may have had more like 4 really good days of sun here and used sunscreen for days out on two of them then stayed out of the mid day sun the other two. I struggle with my dd as she starts to react to pretty much every sunscreen within a couple of uses. We now have one that works for her but I am trying not to overuse it so it is there to use when we really need it. Luckily we live where it is rarely sunny and both kids have olive skin.

Edited by lailasmum

My recent panic/scare which thankfully concluded with a benign skin cancer biopsy had me wtching people at our pool today as far as sunscreen and who put it on their kids, themselves, and who didn't bother with it.

So, take my poll, please and comment if you feel the need.

thanks

FTR, i did so much reading about skin cancer on monday and tueday night, i know that i read that it's fair skinned people or people who burn easily who have to be the most concerned and the most diligent about wearing sunscreen.

We are very light skinned. I insist on sunscreen mid-day. After four or so, I don't care.