Menu

Rude or understandable?

I wouldn't have done it, but I totally understand.

Going out in public with my twins as infants was a nightmare sometimes. I felt like I needed a tape recording of "No, you can't hold/touch my babies." I had one woman nearly cry because I wouldn't let her hold them! (And it was my first outing with premie twins...uh no way are you getting your mitts on them!) I am not even a germaphone by any stretch. But I am not letting strangers off the street handle my infants. If we had lived in a small community at the time, it would have been different. It WAS different with my first and we lived in a small town. With the twins, I was smack in the middle of Minneapolis/St.Paul, so sorry but I'm being much more protective.

Edited by Apryl H

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is rude. So what if someone pats a baby on holds his/her hand for a moment? One can use hand sanitizer or a wipe on the baby after the person leaves. It is making a big deal out of nothing...and germ obsessed parents like these are part of the reason allergies and autoimmune issues are on the rise! Both of my kids were in church the Sunday after they were born and were touched by many and my oldest has been sick only about 4~5 times in almost 8 years and my youngest has been sick twice in almost 2 years .Of course, nursing them helped, too. But, I have noticed, my germaphobic friends have kids who are sick very often. That's my opinion.

OK, I'm the COMPLETE opposite of a germaphobe, but this is ridiculous. My kids are exposed to plenty of germs in my house and when they play elsewhere, but as tiny newborns they do not need to be exposed to the germs of hundreds of complete strangers every time I need groceries. Not ok.

I have twins with curly blonde hair. When I take them to farmer's market I end up glaring at everyone, that seems to keep it down to about 10 or so people who will touch them in an hour. If I behaved even slightly welcoming toward people I would get hundreds of baby-fondlers. The image of everyone coming after us with outstretched arms is only arrogant if it isn't true, lol. It often feels frighteningly accurate. My boys do not like to be handled by strangers, and neither do I!

Incidentally, my kids don't get sick very often (my breastfed-till-4 daughter or my formula-fed sons) and thus far do not have any allergies. I think those things are largely luck and genetics.

I think the sign is rude and a bit silly. I understand not wanting people touching your baby all the time, but my first thought was "overprotective first time parents". Most children really aren't all that fragile! If it was truly an issue, they could have worded it nicely.

I was pissed! There were even people who invaded *my* personal space and tried to peel back the sling to see the baby inside.

Yes to this. I usually wear so that people don't touch my little babies when they are tiny. I'm not so worried later on but I would be if the baby had been a micro-preemie or some kind of auto-immune issue... Then again, I probably wouldn't go to the park.

I really would wonder if the baby had been early? When Hannah was in the NICU I can tell you I was incredibly angry over women who thought they were "entitled" to wear their jewelry in the NICU, despite the rules. Our baby died of an infection, btw.

That said, I've had someone try to peek in my carrier before only to be very surprised that I was nursing. Gee. Thanks.

I'm considering making a sign like that now.

Wolf and I had to take Boo in to the Drs (turned out to be the ER b/c we don't have a gp here, and they don't have walk in clinics in the area) on Fri.

We went to get some Tylenol and drop off the Rx. Wolf was pushing Boo in the stroller. When I came back from dropping off the Rx, there was an older woman cooing over Boo...fine, dandy...until she STUCK HER FINGERS IN HIS MOUTH! "Oh, he's teething!"

Seriously?! Stick your fingers in my baby's mouth?! *gack* *gack* *gack*

Wow! I'm glad to see there are so many moms who WELCOME strangers touching their children...makes me feel FINE to enforce my personal forcefield around my kids knowing they will eventually come across some little cutie they can touch and kiss to their hearts content.

My mantra? "Respect the bubble" :lol:

Idiot? Really? Well, I guess I'm an idiot because I admit, sometimes I touch:blushing:

ETA: I think the sign is way rude.

Beck

Rude or not, it would stop you from groping a strange infant, yes?

Then for them, it's mission accomplished.

I actually haven't had too many people try to touch my babies, probably because they were always in slings (and only 1 person dared touch my belly) so I would find the sign surprising because I didn't realize it was a problem.

However, if it was an elderly person I would gladly let them touch my babies. DD5 was only 22 hours old the first time we went to the chiropractor...her shoulder had popped out my tailbone on the way out and her shoulder was a little popped out too. There was a very, very elderly lady there and she asked if she could hold DD. I was totally okay with it, and she spent about 30 mins holding her, kissing her, just smelling her head. I could see the staff behind the desk all tearing up and I thought "wow, they must think it is really sweet." The next time when we went back for our next appointment (two weeks later), the receptionist told me the lady had passed away three days before, and they had all know she was going to die soon and that she had been coming in daily just to make herself comfortable in the end. They told me all she wanted to talk about was the little baby she had been able to hold and how much joy it had brought her.

But, I also am a firm believer in general germ exposure and my kids are healthy as horses, even avoiding flus that have felled all of our friends.

Sweet story, jenr :grouphug:

There's a difference, a HUGE difference, imo, btwn asking and simply doing. I've met a cpl of Wolf's coworkers, and had no problem saying yes when asked if they could hold Boo. It's not that I'm militant about nobody breathing near my baby. It's the assumption that my kid is public property that makes me a bit nuts. Pawing a strange adult is assault.

And I'm still gacking over the woman shoving her fingers in Boo's mouth. I mean, REALLY?!

I don't think it is rude at all.

Both my children were preemies. People become rude and hostile if you ask them to please not touch the baby even if it is to keep the baby healthy.

I understand why some op would think we should keep the babies home but that isn't always possible. Life does not end just because you have a medically fragile baby. There are bills to pay, errands to run and shopping to do, plus after a while you begin to feel like a prisoner in your own home and need the mental health break of just being out.

People come up behind my dd all the time and touch her hair, I guess because it was long and red. (It has slowed some since she was little, and since she cut it shorter.) We joked about making her a shirt with "Please ask before touching hair." on it. She didn't care, especially when it was sweet old ladies or the little kids when she volunteered with, but it used to scare her sometimes.

I can't imagine that we would have phrased it that way, though. :001_huh: I think the sentiment was fine, but the phrasing was rude.

I didn't mind the random person touching my babies, and I regularly let semi-strangers hold them (sometimes people need a hug from a baby.) They have great immune systems, they never did the "mommy-only" thing, and they have great instincts about people, and I assume interacting with people helped. Of course, I let my dc kiss and hug people in nursing homes, too.

Edited by angela in ohio

Yesterday at the mall a young couple pushing a stroller came toward me. Pinned to the stroller was a white piece of paper with this written on it: "DON'T TOUCH MY KID!!!"

I was a bit taken back, I must say. The couple also had a cute yellow street sign type of thing on the carseat straps that asked people to please keep their hands off the baby (who was about 4-5 months, maybe?).

Since they also had a "cute yellow street sign" that asked people to keep their hands off - it sounds like that didn't work so they felt the need to be more forceful. Sounds like they tried cute and polite and had to step it up.

Was it possible the kid was a preemie or had an immune issue?

Sometimes people are way too grabby with babies.

I agree. I don't think it's rude. To get to that point, a lot of crazy had to happen to them. Some people are way too grabby. And if baby had issues, then it could be a serious concern.

I think it might have been over the top, but I understand their frustration.

I have had total strangers open up my sling and stick their faces in to 'see what is in there" Imagine their surprise when the found a baby nursing at my (now) fully exposed breast. This happened several time, with both kids!

My kids were strapped to my body for their infancy and much of toddlerhood (reflux issues) and I had people walk up and kiss them, touch them, rub their cheeks. They were not in a stroller, but in a sling.

My personal favorite was when dh's ex girlfriend saw us in the grocery store. She had met my eldest son a couple of times in his little life. He was a toddler. Well, she walked right up and kissed him before I could say anything. We chatted a while and then I went off to finish my errand. I was getting penicillin for his strep throat. I figured it was too late to say anything. And, yes, she did catch it.

I think it is rude when people think they can touch someone else's baby without asking.

I don't know where your hand has been? Did you just come out of the bathroom touching the nasty door, did you just grab your butt and pick your wedgie, did you just sneeze and wipe your nose with your hand, did you just have your dirty, greasy keys in your hand?

Edited by MissKNG

Considering most people could care less about kids these days and find them a nuissance in public places, I am surprised that a sign would be needed. I have often thought it sad that we are such a hostile society and reject people. We have seriously over-killed on the stranger danger speeches and hand sanitizer. Now, we can't even be polite.... whether we allow a person to pat a child on the head or not. I was always complimented by someone who gave a hoot about a small child. And it taught my children to be friendly, compassionate, and polite. (of course within reason... I was always standing right there.... and an approach by a drunken slob or by a grandma means a huge difference in how I would react).

Yes, the sign assumes much. It is rather arrogant and rude. A simple please don't touch would be much less hateful.

Also, for those who do like kids, they are usually the elderly or other Moms.

But I grew up in a small town where people used to be nice to each other .... considerate and patient.... I see less and less today.

I live in a small town. People are (mostly) considerate, patient, etc. None of these has anything to do with allowing a complete stranger to put their hands on you without permission.

For me it isn't about stranger danger. It's about respecting personal space. My children are shy. Whenever this happens to them in public, they physically RECOIL from the person and the person STILL reaches out. It's equivalent to cornering a person to grope them, imo. You're saying that I should force my children to ignore their own comfort levels and let people they do not KNOW touch them for the sake of being "polite." Nuh-uh. I don't think so. *I* think it rather rude and arrogant to assume that it's okay to touch someone without asking first.

Years ago when my oldest was about 4 months old I was walking in the park with her in a stroller and my dog on a leash. A lady with a little boy was walking toward me and the boy was obviosly excited about the dog (a big, black and white ball of fluff that was my Border Collie). As they got nearer the lady was saying to the boy, " We have to ask first before we pet other people's dogs." The boy asked, and after telling my dog to sit, and squating down to the boy's level, I said that yes he could pet the dog. I stood back up to find this woman's front half down. In. My. Stroller. holding dd's hands and pecking her on the cheek!

When I told dh about it he said that people ask about petting dogs in case they might bite. I told him I was going to make a sign that said, "You can pet the dog, but the baby will bite.". I never did, but OFTEN wished I had.

:lol::lol:

I think the sign is rude. BUT - I think it is directed at *rude* people who more than likely wouldn't even acknowledge a polite sign.

Some of the posts here are a little over the top. All this hostility toward people who don't want their dc touched seems unkind. Bashing parents for wanting people to respect their dc's space/body is completely rude in and of itself. It is ironic that those posters are calling those parents rude. :glare:

Do I mind if people in my church touch my baby? No. I know them. Random bozo at the mall who didn't wash his hands after using the toilet? No thanks!

:iagree:

I had someone lift up the blanket I was using as a nursing cover once :blink::lol: they got an eyeful and was quite embarrassed. I bet they don't ever do that again.

:001_huh::lol:

I think the sign is rude and a bit silly. I understand not wanting people touching your baby all the time, but my first thought was "overprotective first time parents". Most children really aren't all that fragile! If it was truly an issue, they could have worded it nicely.

I have three children. I would still use a sign like that. It isn't about being overprotective. Would you allow someone to invade your personal space if you were uncomfortable with it?

Yes, the sign could have been a little gentler.But maybe they already tried that, and it didn't work. I too have had peoples hands all over my kids. I mean think about it, if I walked up and kissed some random adult stranger wouldn't everyone think that weird??? But for someone to do it to a kid/baby, they seem to think that is ok. :confused:

It's not just the germ factor that bothers me. But also the personal space. I am currently teaching my two girls that the have rights, and private areas, that NOBODY is allowed to invade. And if they don't see me stand up for those rights, they are not going to get the full impact of the lesson. There are to many sicko's out there (see the post about the dad that killed the child molestor) to not be overly protective of our children.

ok, done with my rant LOL

I think the sign could have been worded more gently, but some people really have no boundaries. I had a random lady kiss my baby when I was washing my hands in an airport bathroom while he was wrapped on my back. Her lips were about 6 inches from my head.

Where do you people live?!?

Maybe I'm just mean looking but I've never had a stranger touch my pregnant belly and very few people have ever tried to touch one of my babies. The only people I can think of have been small children who are just curious or little old ladies who remind me to enjoy my babies because they won't last long.

I think the sign was rude and silly.

I understand the concern for respecting personal space. But, I don't think a baby has a concept of personal space or respect thereof. Babies very much thrive on touch. (Yes there are exceptions, but as a rule they do.)

I also think that a baby who does have a preference is likely to express it and solve the problem that way.

I never got a "lot" of that, but once when my kids were around 1, an older lady asked if she could touch them. I allowed it, but my dd cringed and gave that woman the dirtiest look ever, LOL. She got the message loud and clear. And no, I did not feel embarrassed.

I also make a distinction between a pat on the head or shoulder and something more intrusive. I have been known to pat children's heads without asking. You can say it's disrespectful, but I say that it's worse to treat the child as if she isn't even there.

I find it odd that so many people adamantly dislike others touching, talking to, or even looking at their babies, and yet bemoan the fact that we as a society don't care much about each other. You can't go from "leave us the hell alone" to "care about us" at your own whim.

My sister has a medically fragile child, and she takes her out every day for her physical and mental health. She does shopping early on weekday mornings when there are few people around. She also buys a lot online. They take walks and such and only hang around "people" when they go to the doctor/therapist (which, unfortunately, is often). I haven't heard of anyone trying to touch her baby. I'm thinking that if they did, she'd go into a protective "Mama Bear" stance that, in her case, would be hard to misunderstand. No sign necessary.

But seriously, those folks in the OP were trying to be rude. Three exclamation marks? Each one saying "F-you." Well, good. I would reward that with an eyeroll at best.

Where do you people live?!?

Maybe I'm just mean looking but I've never had a stranger touch my pregnant belly and very few people have ever tried to touch one of my babies. The only people I can think of have been small children who are just curious or little old ladies who remind me to enjoy my babies because they won't last long.

I think the sign was rude and silly.

If that were all it was it wouldn't bother me. I don't get bothered by little kids not knowing any better (though I don't let them touch my newborns...) and most of the old ladies around here tend to actually ask. It's generally middle aged women and a few men who do the unwelcome touching. The boob-fondler was a middle aged woman. The people who tousle my boys' hair fit every description on the planet. DD would flinch from the touch (which people thought was cute) and the boys will outright scream. People still dont' seem to realize that they did something wrong. At the very least you'd think they'd realize that it's a HUGE PITA to ask a twin mom to have to comfort two crying infants every 6 seconds just so that everyone can have a grope.

For me it's more a personal space issue than a germ issue. Though when my boys were underweight non-breastfed preemies during flu season, the germ thing got me too...

If people want to return the US to a more friendly culture, they could try talking to me. They can even talk to me ABOUT my children. I might even let them touch if they ASK. But touching someone who doesn't want to be touched is NOT OK. I had no idea that that was a controversial notion!

I live in the Northeast, in a very small city. It is not a particularly "touchy" culture, so I have no idea why everyone thinks they can touch my babies.

But seriously, those folks in the OP were trying to be rude. Three exclamation marks? Each one saying "F-you." Well, good. I would reward that with an eyeroll at best.

Everyone interprets exclamation marks as an F - you? Really!;). I don't think so. I think in the case of these parents it could just as easily be interpreted as PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

They have every right to prevent random groping of their child. Perhaps they would have been fine with asking permission, but it seems that when touching babies is concerned common courtesy goes out the window so they felt they had to get drastic.

I've been the mom out in public that can't walk two feet without people reaching for my babies. I don't have a problem with it when people ask permission, but the ones who don't are just being rude.

Understandable. I had people fondle me when I was wearing DD on my front (thinking they were grabbing the baby's bum and, um, missing). I had one woman TAKE HER OUT OF MY ARMS in walmart because she apparently "just loved babies so much". It is not ok to touch someone else's baby without permission. (Emergencies excepted, of course) If you say it nicely, people are too dense to listen, so you have to be rude about it.

I had someone try to do this one time at church. It was one of those pushy rude people who hugged everyone and touched people constantly. I was not friends with this person, in fact, considered her pretty much a stranger at that point.

I did. not. let. go. of my baby. and I glared at her. She totally got the message, tucked her tail and left me the heck alone after that.

Everyone interprets exclamation marks as an F - you? Really!;). I don't think so. I think in the case of these parents it could just as easily be interpreted as PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.

In that context, yes, multiple !!!s are nasty.

It would have come across entirely different if they'd put a smiley face at the end of their sentence. And switching out "my kid" for "Baby." We probably wouldn't be having this discussion if the sign had said, "Please don't touch Baby :)"

(The "my kid" bugs me too. I may be alone in this, but I don't feel like the owner of my kid. I'm the person God chose to guide her to adulthood. Of course I do say "my kid" in the sense of "my responsibility" or just because it's normal in casual speech. But if I'm requesting something of strangers, that would be a rude way to word it.)

I am in my third city with small children. First was in Upstate NY, second in PA, and now in OH. I've had people touch my children frequently in all of these places. (And we only just moved to OH!) I guess I just have particularly likeable babies and children?

I'm not rabid about people touching my children, but it can be a bit much. My babies have chubby cheeks that strangers enjoy touching. I don't like that, but generally it doesn't freak out the babies...except for that one or two month span where they want nothing to do with anyone except me and their daddy. It is super annoying to have a child screaming to get away from someone who is not backing off. Then the people say that I need to let them touch my child to make him or her more comfortable with other people. Yes, attacking my child while he or she tries to get away from you is certain to make my child more comfortable with other people. :confused: If you ask if you can say hi to my baby and then gently play with a clothed foot, that doesn't bother me so much. If my child is clearly uncomfortable and you keep advancing after I've told you to stop, I'll get annoyed.

People still touch my children once they get beyond the baby stage. I had someone walk up and play with my 3 year old's very long, blonde hair in Walmart the other day, and then ask if she and my nearly 2 year old are twins.

First-time moms have just as much right to make decisions for their children as mothers of many children. My fourth baby is nearly here, and my parenting opinions and decisions haven't changed all that much since my first was born. Even if they had, it's no one else's right to supersede the clearly non-harmful parenting choices of a parent based on how much experience the parent has.

I don't think it's always that I didn't want people to EVER touch my baby. It would be nice though if people had the courtesy to ask first. Some people like their personal space, some babies have compromised immune systems, and really, it just nice to know that people will be respectful enough to ask before they handle something that's important to you. Some people I would rather not touch my kids, or my belly, or really they smell nasty enough that I'd rather they stay away. Some people I don't mind. I had people that were unable to have children ask if they could touch my belly and feel the baby kick. Of course I would let them, it's rather therapeutic for them. I have also had strangers feel in my babies MOUTH for teeth, check down their diapers (somewhat inappropriate in my books), slap their fingers because they grabbed at strings on their clothes when they bent down (why were they down there then!?), and randomly walk up and start RUBBING my belly and asking how far along I was and how the pregnancy was going (excuse me do I know you?).

I LOVE to hold and touch babies, so I understand the fascination, but get permission first, then perhaps people won't feel the need to put a sign up.

Why is a non-event getting such a hot discussion? These were strangers with a sign on a stroller. I might not put up a sign on my child. But so what that they did? There are plenty of babies without signs to go around. I wouldn't be offended if I saw it. I might waste two whole seconds thinking "Hmmm. They must have had bad experiences with strangers touching their baby. Or maybe they are new parents who are overprotective. Or. . . Oh look at that sale!" I certainly wouldn't bother having an emotional response to it.

My youngest was a preemie and immune-compromised, in and out of the hospital so much that it made our heads spin. We weren't supposed to take him out of the house at all, even had a special waiting room for him at the dr's. But, when we had to go out, I had to make sure that no one came near him. I wore him, just to make sure. It was hard, because everyone wants to touch a baby. I totally get it.

Why is a non-event getting such a hot discussion? These were strangers with a sign on a stroller. I might not put up a sign on my child. But so what that they did? There are plenty of babies without signs to go around. I wouldn't be offended if I saw it. I might waste two whole seconds thinking "Hmmm. They must have had bad experiences with strangers touching their baby. Or maybe they are new parents who are overprotective. Or. . . Oh look at that sale!" I certainly wouldn't bother having an emotional response to it.

perhaps the hive needs a new category to add to the carts, shoes, and crock pot discussions. :lol:

If that were all it was it wouldn't bother me. I don't get bothered by little kids not knowing any better (though I don't let them touch my newborns...) and most of the old ladies around here tend to actually ask. It's generally middle aged women and a few men who do the unwelcome touching. The boob-fondler was a middle aged woman. The people who tousle my boys' hair fit every description on the planet. DD would flinch from the touch (which people thought was cute) and the boys will outright scream. People still dont' seem to realize that they did something wrong. At the very least you'd think they'd realize that it's a HUGE PITA to ask a twin mom to have to comfort two crying infants every 6 seconds just so that everyone can have a grope.

For me it's more a personal space issue than a germ issue. Though when my boys were underweight non-breastfed preemies during flu season, the germ thing got me too...

If people want to return the US to a more friendly culture, they could try talking to me. They can even talk to me ABOUT my children. I might even let them touch if they ASK. But touching someone who doesn't want to be touched is NOT OK. I had no idea that that was a controversial notion!

I live in the Northeast, in a very small city. It is not a particularly "touchy" culture, so I have no idea why everyone thinks they can touch my babies.

They have every right to prevent random groping of their child. Perhaps they would have been fine with asking permission, but it seems that when touching babies is concerned common courtesy goes out the window so they felt they had to get drastic.

I've been the mom out in public that can't walk two feet without people reaching for my babies. I don't have a problem with it when people ask permission, but the ones who don't are just being rude.

I am in my third city with small children. First was in Upstate NY, second in PA, and now in OH. I've had people touch my children frequently in all of these places. (And we only just moved to OH!) I guess I just have particularly likeable babies and children?

I'm not rabid about people touching my children, but it can be a bit much. My babies have chubby cheeks that strangers enjoy touching. I don't like that, but generally it doesn't freak out the babies...except for that one or two month span where they want nothing to do with anyone except me and their daddy. It is super annoying to have a child screaming to get away from someone who is not backing off. Then the people say that I need to let them touch my child to make him or her more comfortable with other people. Yes, attacking my child while he or she tries to get away from you is certain to make my child more comfortable with other people. :confused: If you ask if you can say hi to my baby and then gently play with a clothed foot, that doesn't bother me so much. If my child is clearly uncomfortable and you keep advancing after I've told you to stop, I'll get annoyed.

People still touch my children once they get beyond the baby stage. I had someone walk up and play with my 3 year old's very long, blonde hair in Walmart the other day, and then ask if she and my nearly 2 year old are twins.

First-time moms have just as much right to make decisions for their children as mothers of many children. My fourth baby is nearly here, and my parenting opinions and decisions haven't changed all that much since my first was born. Even if they had, it's no one else's right to supersede the clearly non-harmful parenting choices of a parent based on how much experience the parent has.

I haven't read all of the responses, but coming from a medical background in a large facility, I have seen this many times. It is usually trying to protect children with compromised or no immune system. Please do not be offended. A parent can only say, "Please don't touch my child", so many times.

OK, here goes my weird sense of humor again.

I'm picturing how this would work with the Crazy Stroller Lady scenario.

DON'T RAM MY SHINS!!! or something of that nature. We could have observed to see what effect it had.

Now before the thread gets hijacked, I just want to acknowledge that this comment doesn't have anything to do with the issue at hand, and if you think it's utterly crazy, obnoxious, and hideous, I agree with you in advance.

BTW, I think we need a Crazy Stroller Lady smilie. :auto::001_tt2:

I can see why she would post the note, but it also makes me a little sad.

My oldest dd had translucent blond hair. Elderly women of different nationalities loved to rub her head. They sometimes tried to ask permission first with gestures, and words I didn't understand. Fortunately dd thought it was funny. It made me smile to see the great joy that rubbing my dd's head apparently brought these strangers. :001_smile:

Dd was friendly, the strangers were friendly, and I wasn't too worried about germs on her hair. :lol: I guess I was lucky. I do think it is nice to let others talk to and touch your baby (in a non-threatening, non-germy way :lol:). Just MHO. I don't have ill feelings toward those who feel otherwise. ;)

Babies are wonderful. Their smiles and coos can make a stranger's day. :001_smile:

I think you are seriously reading way to much into this! I would never see exclamation points as anything other than punctuation, adding urgency to what ever was said.

I think you are seriously reading way to much into this! I would never see exclamation points as anything other than punctuation, adding urgency to what ever was said.

Yes, punctuation to add the FU affect would look like this. ,.!.. (the comma representing the thumb, of course)

Yes, punctuation to add the FU affect would look like this. ,.!.. (the comma representing the thumb, of course)

Hee hee. I did not know about that little tool.

Maybe the exclamation mark matter is not a universal thing.

But see, the people had to know when writing the note that this was going to be a sensitive thing for some people at least. I can understand the caps, because they are easier to read. But I can't think of any reason to add !!! to an already chafing note. I mean, it's like

Please Clean After Your Dog

vs

CLEAN AFTER YOUR DOG!!!

I also happen to think that people are either going to read the note, or they aren't. I have a hard time believing that people would see "Please Don't Touch Baby" and maul the kid anyway, but somehow adding !!! is going to make them more respectful. I dunno. I still think it's rude. Obviously I'm in the minority on this one.

Please Clean After Your Dog

vs

CLEAN AFTER YOUR DOG!!!

Unless, of course, it's happened too many times. I think *that* is when it gets emotional and the caps and exclamations come out. That is what *I* assume when I see that anyway. I figure they have already been through the nice and polite stage for far too long with far too many rude people.

Unless, of course, it's happened too many times. I think *that* is when it gets emotional and the caps and exclamations come out. That is what *I* assume when I see that anyway. I figure they have already been through the nice and polite stage for far too long with far too many rude people.

I could understand if they were someplace where they repeatedly dealt with the same gropey people, but not in a mall.

But a pp is right, this isn't something to get angry about. An eyeroll is sufficient.

I just remembered a family memory along these lines. My cousin was an only child with a nurse mom and doctor dad. There was nothing wrong with the child, but they refused to let him around my family, or even have my parents visit, for years. Reason: "too many germs" in our house. (We were all very healthy, but there were a bunch of us.) So finally when the kid was 2.5, my parents (only) received the royal invitation. No comment was made, but my dad showed up with a surgical mask over his face. Point made. :D I did get the honor of meeting him once when he was 4 years old.

To the original question, I had similar signs on my dd's stroller, baby carrier, blankets, and more. She was preemie and had immunity issues. One of the signs ws a large stop sign made from red construction paper. And I used several !!!!!.

Do you think it would work on your baby when they get to be say, 16 or so? :lol:

Seriously though, if I saw something like that, I'd be more than okay with it - I'd assume there is good reason for it and give them a wide berth. There's a million reasons why that might be posted.

Yay, I learned something new today! Now to find someone appropriate to share my new knowledge with, lol.