How long has it been?  

1. 1. How long has it been?

• Less than a week
    • Within the past month
    • Within the past 6 months
    • A year
    • More than a year
    • Obligatory Other (please explain)

My dad died in '06, and he wore them every day. He was raised on a Kansas wheat and beef cattle farm, and though he's the only member of his family who rejected farm life and moved east, he changed into them every day when he got home from work. He was an executive at a big insurance company during the day, but as soon as he got home to his old Victorian home in the suburbs he put on his Big Smiths and plow boots. He was known fondly all over our small town as "Kansas Jack" because of the overalls. When he died, his good friend and owner of the small, mom-and-pop hardware store my dad frequented had a floral arrangement made of blue and yellow carnations in the shape of a pair of overalls.

In fact, every summer when we visited my grandparents in Kansas one of the IMPERATIVES was to go to a farm supply store in Concordia, KS and buy more Big Smiths. My brother and I wore Key Imperials when were kids, I think because my mom could find them in more kid-sizes on our yearly trips to Kansas. They were great for running and playing in the woods and the dirt. Lots of pockets for found treasures.

That's WAY more than you asked or wanted to know, I'm sure, but NO one who knew him can think of bib overalls without thinking of my dad, so thanks for the chance to reminisce. :blushing:

astrid

My dad died in '06, and he wore them every day. He was raised on a Kansas wheat and beef cattle farm, and though he's the only member of his family who rejected farm life and moved east, he changed into them every day when he got home from work. He was an executive at a big insurance company during the day, but as soon as he got home to his old Victorian home in the suburbs he put on his Big Smiths and plow boots. He was known fondly all over our small town as "Kansas Jack" because of the overalls. When he died, his good friend and owner of the small, mom-and-pop hardware store my dad frequented had a floral arrangement made of blue and yellow carnations in the shape of a pair of overalls.

In fact, every summer when we visited my grandparents in Kansas one of the IMPERATIVES was to go to a farm supply store in Concordia, KS and buy more Big Smiths. My brother and I wore Key Imperials when were kids, I think because my mom could find them in more kid-sizes on our yearly trips to Kansas. They were great for running and playing in the woods and the dirt. Lots of pockets for found treasures.

That's WAY more than you asked or wanted to know, I'm sure, but NO one who knew him can think of bib overalls without thinking of my dad, so thanks for the chance to reminisce. :blushing:

astrid

What a sweet memory! Thanks for sharing that with us. :001_smile: My daddy wore overalls whenever he was working in the garden or hunting.

Funny you should post this since I just saw a little old man wearing denim overalls a few days ago. I giggled to myself when I saw him since this is the suburbs and he was only walking to his mailbox, not plowing a field.

I remember the shortalls of the 90s. I'd be afraid to wear those, or overalls, now that I have some extra girth around the middle. It would probably look like maternity wear on me and I am not pregnant.:tongue_smilie:

Well I LIVED in regular, then short style overalls when I was pregnant. And when I have noticed them worn in the last 10 years, it's been maternity wear. Which is probably the only reason why I notice, because I wore them constantly when I was pregnant. So much that my SIL announced we were going shopping for something to wear to my shower other than the overalls, and if she saw them again she was going to burn them (she had issues!).

What the SIL didn't know is one reason I wore them was because under them I usually had on a short tank top, left over from my skinny days, that came no where NEAR covering all of me and baby boy! LOL! So actually she should have been grateful for the overalls, because it really wasn't all that pretty a sight had I been 'bib' - less! LOL!

astrid

My dh;s granddad was buried in his Liberty overalls, they were that much a part of who he was.

I live in farm country, so in the last few days I've seen a bunch of men wearing the blue or chino type.

Last month or so I've also seen men heading out to go hunting in the camo type.

And, oh, last night a friend of ours came over to fish and was sporting a pair of waders for down by the lake, but I don't think that's the type you mean.

This is funny, because my husband has a pair and he so doesn't fit the part. He's a software engineer, living in a major city, in the midwest. He just wears them to work around the house and I roll my eyes every time. :D He hasn't had them on for a few months or so though. Other than that, never see them.

Um...that would be my dh, less than a week ago. He probably wears them at least once a week. But to his defense, when he doesn't have a contract job, he picks up farm work, so that is why he was wearing them.

No defense necessary! :D Reading this thread makes me want to go buy my dh a pair. Nothing can transform him into a good ol' boy faster than a pair of overalls and a trucker cap, LOL.

Less than an hour ago. In line at the grocery store.

Now, I do live in Texas, but certainly not a rural area.

And I did see an elderly gentleman rocking a pair of bibs just last week at a really swanky shopping area. :lol: It made me giggle, thinking about my grandpa. The only time he didn't wear his bibs was when he went to church.

My dad wears carpenter overalls when doing construction work. He has the striped kind with a zip on nail apron.

I have a few pair I wear when working in the yard or on our construction mission trips, but since I haven't done either of those things in a while, the overalls haven't been out of the closet lately.

We're in a more rural area and they're fairly common to see. I have a couple friends that wear them from time to time as well, no farming connection either.

I wonder if I'd like wearing them... have no clue where to even buy them since I tend to shop thrift stores but I imagine Tractor Supply might carry something.

I voted in the last 6 months, but honestly right now it is just too hot for them here. I see people wearing them in the winter fairly often though.

I have a pair, but they are super huge to fit over my regular clothes if I have to go into the pigpen. It is easier than changing into farm clothes for something quick. ;)