Menu

Religions Quiz

That was fun. I got three wrong.

The Islamic Holy Month (I waffled on it a lot),

Is a public school teacher allowed to read from the Bible (surprised, but duh, yeah, it is in K12s The Human Odyssey, which is on my shelf),

and what religion are most people in Indonesia (I guess a lot of us weren't clear on that one).

DH and I both raised as Jehovah's Witness, now born-again all-denominational Christians.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

31/32;like other PPs, I missed the one about Indonesia--though I should have remembered Heather's experiences in Malaysia! :001_smile:

I got 32/32, but to be honest, it should have been 31/32, since I guessed on the Maimonides. (Off to google...)

And the only reason I answered correctly about the predominate religion of Indonesia is from Heather's posts. :D

I got 32/32. The questions were so easy, I also have a hard time believing that the average score is only 16. Even among the general population, I can't imagine most people getting that many wrong.

This is a bit off topic, but I find it interesting how many people have not heard of Maimonides. It always cracks me up when Christians think that non-Christians should welcome additional exposure to Christianity in order to be educated about different religions (for example, in the thread about a prayer before a charter meeting). That kind of thing is simply not necessary for most American non-Christians, since we encounter Christian culture and history on a daily basis. On the other hand, I'd bet a majority of Christians have never heard of many of the most important non-Christian figures, like Maimonides, except perhaps as the name of a hospital or similar.

It always cracks me up when Christians think that non-Christians should welcome additional exposure to Christianity in order to be educated about different religions (for example, in the thread about a prayer before a charter meeting).
I missed that thread. That is ridiculous. I do not want my children exposed to prayers of other religions.

I got 100%, so I guess I'm "smarter than an atheist." :D

Maimonides' "Guide for the Perplexed" is among my favorite books, and the Rambam's writing in the Mishnah Torah and other writings are essential in understanding rabbinic Judaism.

Pretty darn easy.

Bill

This is a bit off topic, but I find it interesting how many people have not heard of Maimonides. It always cracks me up when Christians think that non-Christians should welcome additional exposure to Christianity in order to be educated about different religions (for example, in the thread about a prayer before a charter meeting). That kind of thing is simply not necessary for most American non-Christians, since we encounter Christian culture and history on a daily basis. On the other hand, I'd bet a majority of Christians have never heard of many of the most important non-Christian figures, like Maimonides, except perhaps as the name of a hospital or similar.

:iagree:

32/32 here too. And my 10-year old looking over my shoulder knew 24 of them too. 16 as the average for Christians is pretty disturbing. I will have to have my 8-year old take it.

I had my 11 yo take it and she scored 16. She missed 3 on Mormonism (not surprising, the population here is relatively small and we know no Mormons IRL), 2 on Islam (we are friends with a Muslim family in our homeschool group, which helped), mixed up 2 of the 3 on the First Amendment and the one on the Great Awakening (we'll cover those soon in early American history), 3 on the specifics of the Bible, and 2 on Catholic vs. Protestant doctrine (some of those last 5 did sort of surprise me--I'd have thought she would have known some of them).

For context, she has been raised as a NeoPagan Unitarian Universalist her entire life. When she was about 6, she got really angry when I said we weren't Christian. Her response: "We are too Christian! Daddy believes in Buddha!" Does the "too" need commas? She meant "really" not "excessively." I think we've made some progress in the area of religious education since then:lol: but we have a ways to go.;)

Looks like definitely I need to set up that homeschool group comparative religion field trip to the Mormon church I've been considering. We've made it to the Quakers, the Hindu Center, Unity, Unitarian Universalists, Greek Orthodox, two mosques and the Reform Jewish synagogue so far (though my husband has sung there for 15 years, so we're there pretty regularly). I still have a laundry list of other houses of worship to visit over the next few years, as I have time to set up the trips or can talk others into leading them.

:iagree:

The Rambam is a much more important figure to Judaism than Jonathan Edwards is to Christianity.

I missed two. One on Buddhism and the one on Maimonides. The one I got wrong with Buddhism was on Nirvana. I thought both Buddhism and Hinduism had Nirvana as ultimate attainment so I got mixed up. I have since looked it up and it looks like Hindu Nirvana is called Moksha. I have never heard that term before, obviously I don't know as much as I thought I did.

Edited by DawnM

I didn't think it was a very well constructed quiz. When "Don't know" is an answer, you know you're not going to get that one right. Why even have that option? Who would click that instead of guessing?? That was bizarre. I think Mormonism was way overrepresented in the questions.

I am also not sure questions about the first amendment count as religious knowledge, but there you are.

I missed one. About salvation through faith alone.

29/32.

I missed the Great Awakening (I eliminated Billy Graham, and thought Charles Finney seemed remotely familiar for some reason, so I picked him).

I missed nirvana because that's one place I mix up Buddhism and Hinduism.

I missed the "through faith alone" one despite all the discussions about it here (and maybe BECAUSE of all the discussions about it here). I know there are people who believe firmly it's through faith AND good works, so I got a little mixed up.

I got the Indonesia one because there was a National Geographic article about Muslims in Indonesia recently, I think (or at least that's what I thought of, so I got it right). I got the Maimonides one because my SIL used to work at a Jewish day school with Maimonides in the name :)

I also wanted to say that even though I didn't have much trouble with the quiz, I didn't think it was super easy. You need to have a good general knowledge of religion to answer the questions correctly and that requires some curiosity and interest in what other people do and believe.

Was anyone else disappointed there weren't any questions about Norse or Egyptian mythology? I got excited when I saw the Greek one!

I also wanted to say that even though I didn't have much trouble with the quiz, I didn't think it was super easy. You need to have a good general knowledge of religion to answer the questions correctly and that requires some curiosity and interest in what other people do and believe.

Was anyone else disappointed there weren't any questions about Norse or Egyptian mythology? I got excited when I saw the Greek one!

Me, too;)