Menu

What kind of neighborhood do you live in?

Specifically, the neighborhood relationships

We live in a mountain community, but the house are set up in neighborhoods. We have lots of kids around and at dinner time you can hear moms calling for their kids.

People stand outside and talk, sometimes for hours. We actually do borrow cups of sugar. Everybody waves when they drive by.

Chances are, if you need a tool, someone will have it and let you use it.

I love my neighborhood! :D

( I am having a horribly emotional, crabby day and wanted to find a bright spot in my life)

Wow, sounds like a great place to be. We live about 40 miles west of NYC in a suprisingly ruralish area. Our development of about 40 houses is kinda old, built between 1945 and 1955. It's very green, lots of old trees, perennials, flower pots with serious gardens and lawns. Our homes are on one acre lots. Our town is divided between the "mountain" area and the "village" area. The mountain area being the stomping ground of various famous or infamous celebrities or capitalist pigs. I don't know why, but I keep running into Bill Moyers at the Kings supermarket (big deal!). The village center contains a small downtown strip, movie theatre, resturants, grocery store and train station (gladstone/peapack line). We have nearly the lowest property taxes in the state of NJ due to our ability to fleece the rich. Fortunately, our neighborhood has several families with kids near the same age as mine. All in all, it's a very nice place to live, although I must say I don't LOVE it in the way some love their hometowns. Anyways, that's a slice of NJ.

Wishing I could live in your neighborhood! I live in Sub of Houston in an apartment complex. Nice complex, but I don't know any of my neighbors. I grew up in a very small town in Ok, where everyone new eachother. Mostly because everyone was related one way or another, but atleast when you were driving down the road everyone waved.

We live in a mountain community, but the house are set up in neighborhoods. We have lots of kids around and at dinner time you can hear moms calling for their kids.

People stand outside and talk, sometimes for hours. We actually do borrow cups of sugar. Everybody waves when they drive by.

( I am having a horribly emotional, crabby day and wanted to find a bright spot in my life)

Fairly similar here. It's a new neighborhood in the suburbs but we have great neighborly relations and that's not easy to find nowadays in new subdivisions.

We live on a busy street but the yards are big (over an acre) and we're on a lake. In the winter there are people ice fishing all the time and families clear off patches to skate on and people skate and play hockey. You can go for a walk on the lake and talk to all of the neighbours. All of our neighbours are very friendly and one family has kids that are close to my little ones in age. We talk over the fences in the back yard. Our next door neighbour has had dd helping with her horses and keeps lending her horse magazines and books. Our other neighbour brought over big pieces of a cake that she made after dd opened a jar for her.

This is the first time we've lived somewhere like this. Our last house was on a quiet street where the kids could bike around, but everyone kept to themselves.

My friend bought the house next door and will be moving in sometime during the school year - I'm so excited! She has a dd who she homeschools so we plan on doing some things together.

Your neighborhood sounds so nice! Ours is a typical subdivision...smile, nod, head into the house. :( I know the names of exactly 4 neighbors and we've lived here 4 years! Guess I should introduce myself to someone! There is a little playground with a field & basketball court, we spend a lot of time there all alone in nice weather...

We are about 7 miles north of downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul in suburbia. 1/4 acre lots, split-levels and ranches built in the 70's. Our street is quiet and we have Ed across the street, my ds7 best friend. Ed is 80, a widower, and can make anything...I really mean it...anything out of wood, metal, or plastic. So ds goes over there daily for "shop" class:001_smile:.

Suburbia here also. 1/2acre lots, brick cookie cutter ranchers. Everyone is kind not overly friendly. Wave and nods. We see most neighbors on July 4th when everyone is out with fireworkds and Halloween everyone except 2 neighbors participate. Lots of kids ds8 age, although there are several kids older ds ages they don't click with any of those kids of which I am thankful. Not enough parental involvement or supervision. school bus picks up at our front door which is nice for the kids.

We live in a neighborhood where we only know 1 family (the ones to our left). The house to the right of us has been vacant since we moved in a year ago - it is now in foreclosure. Out of the maybe 70-75 homes in our loop (gated community - the street makes a big loop back to the gate) - 15+ homes are vacant, foreclosed, or for sale. Ours in short sale and so we are moving out in 2 wks. I really don't see any people out and about during the day.... let alone kids.

Would love, love, love to have a neighborhood like many of the ones you guys mentioned. We are moving to another rental on a cul-de-sac in a different area so hopefully our neighborhood will have some friendly, out-going people (with kids)! *fingers crossed*

I always say that I feel like I'm on vacation in my community. People keep up their lawns and houses, the city cleans the streets and sidewalks regularly, etc. The streets are tree-lined and so pretty!! We have beautiful resident-only lake-side parks with a pool/gym/movie theater, tennis courts/basketball courts/sledding hills/ice skating rink (complete with a warming lodge where they have a fireplace and sell hot cocoa)/a boardwalk on the lake, etc, etc, etc. The parks are 1/2 mile from my house, so we can walk there. I can't say enough good about our city! I just love it! We have a real variety of houses here too - everything from some built in the 1800s to 1920 bungalows, to tudors, to colonials, to a couple built just last year.

We just moved to a new neighborhood (same city - bigger house/yard) last October and we already know most of our neighbors. Most came over with cookies or bread or flowers. They truly are wonderful people. We are always on our front lawn or porch and talk with the neighbors constantly.

We also live about 20 minutes from downtown Detroit. We go there often to the art museum, science museum, Tiger's games, church, theater, etc. It's just so convenient and yet we don't live IN the city.

I'm never moving again!!!

We live in a small rural town, just blocks from main street. We live in the historic district and by a national monument. We have great neighbors for the most part. I think I could write a book with all the differing personalities we have here! Maybe I should, and make us all animals instead of people!

We don't have a lawn mower, but a neighbor lets us borrow his. Two neighbors will come over to borrow tools, ladders, sugar, eggs, etc. It is pretty quiet though, and most people don't have front porches, but back yards in which they hang out in. I love the front porch community myself! If we're all out in our yards, we'll cross the street to talk. One of the families is a homeschool family too. The Mom is an artist and teaches my daughter art while I watch her youngers with my younger. It's a great place to be! :)

We live in a residential neighborhood in the city of Toronto (largest city in Canada with close to 6 million people in the Greater Toronto Area). Small corner lot, minimal (and unfenced) yard. We can walk one block to a major-ish street with shops, restaurants, cafes, yoga studios, hockey store (!), etc. My teen sons can hop on a bus to the subway and get pretty much anywhere in the city on public transit. Older boy has a part time job in a grocery store four blocks away.

We've been here a year and have only met a few neighbours, but Canadians are a pretty reserved lot. After five years in a suburb of Atlanta, where EVERYONE says hi when you walk by on the street, I feel like the crazy lady, smiling and greeting people I don't know on the street.

And then we have those five or six months where the piles of snow keep people indoors or very bundled up.

But it's a great city, with a ton of culture, sports teams, great food, and an amazing rainbow of people.

When we moved out here from Boston, people said, "Oh, you're moving to the country!"

Nope. This is a suburban bedroom community. I rarely see people outside. No one talks or introduces themselves, except us. Usually the people don't tell us their names in return. It's weird. Most people become friends, from what I can tell, through their kids who are in the public schools.

People are friendlier in Boston! And they are very friendly in western Mass. We vacation there and I'd love to move there. Regular people live there.

RC

OUrs is similar to yours, though without the mountains.

In the past week, we've eaten with friends about 5 times, gathered on someone's porch every. single. evening for a glass of wine, carpooled with five other families for VBS, gone for coffee with four neighbors, and had a ladies movie night and a guy's movie night upstairs in our movie room. The kids, they are everywhere - hanging on the porch, swimming in the backyard, hunting June bugs in the park we all surround. I have keys to several houses and they have keys to mine - so we can go get that cup of sugar if no one is home!

These folks are our family and I love them dearly. We just bought a one-acre mountain lot in New Mexico, but we will only put a small cabin on it, because we will never move permanently away from this neighborhood as long as it is in our control. We're very blessed!

We live on a summer resort island in NJ. THere are only 3 other neighbors near us on our street that are year round like us. The other houses are either peoples "summer homes" or they rent them out weekly to tourists. All of our extended family, friends and church are all off shore. THe kids and I would love to move off shore but dh was born and raised on the next island up from ours and will only live on a island where he can walk to the beach (the kids and I rarely go to the beach). Sometimes at high tide, we can't even leave our house as we can be surrounded by water. Sorry to be complaining but the tourists are coming into town (this is senior week as in high school seniors invade the town) and it gets BUSY as in traffic, etc.

We live in a large golf community (4500 people). Very beaver cleaver-ish with kids everywhere: pool, park, streets! The day we moved in the neighborhood there were about 20 kids playing street hockey on our street. I knew we found home :)

It's not always very friendly, though. Lots of competition over every imaginable topic: house, car, kids' grades, income, clothes--very "keep up with the Joneses" IMO. That's the single biggest thing I don't miss from ps.

Gosh, you guys are making me jealous!!

We live in a neighborhood. I've lived here since I was 10 years old, got married at 19, and me and my hubby moved a few streets over in the same neighborhood.

It's a safe neighborhood.....just not overly friendly. We "know" two of our neighbors just on a "hi, how are you" basis. Actually, the family next door is the minister who married my husband and I! They are a really nice Christian family. But we're at different stages in life so we dont really have anything in common with them. They have four kids, the youngest being about 16 years old. The people across the street from us seem nice, but again, nothing in common as they are probably in their 50's with grown kids.

The people next door to us.....whew, golly.....the man came over one evening, with beer on his breath, cussing at us because he wanted us to CUT DOWN the bushes that lined our yard and his. Ummm....no....I really dont want to have to be forced to see you every single day. With the line of bushes about 6 feet high, I can pretend that you do not live there since I cannot see you.

I wish there were some nice families our age.....some with kids.....maybe even some that homeschooled. But there's no one with children on our street that's anywhere near my kids ages. The closest one is about 10 years old, and she's the daughter of the cussing man. Someone down the road from us is about to be putting their house on the market....maybe someone with children will move in!

Ranch. 1/2 mile and 1 mile down the road are two houses that we own. One is empty and a young couple lives in the other. If you go just a little further there's houses on either side of the road, and a little convenience store, then the town. Mil lives here. It has an elem. school, high school, bank and a bar/grill type place. There's a town with a Walmart 17 miles further. Aside from one other family we are the only homeschoolers around.

We've got each other right here, and that's it.

We live in an old neighborhood, it may even be considered historic. Tree-lined streets, and my street is brick. Most of the houses are small bungalow or craftsman-style homes. A few neighbors wave, not a whole lot of interaction, as far as I can tell. We've lived here almost a year. I think most people keep to themselves and that's just the way I like things. Oh, the neighborhood is very close to downtown, so I'm not really in a subdivision or suburb.

We live in an older subdivision (houses built in the 70's, bi-levels and ranches), the neighborhood has one entrance and makes a figure eight, with one circle being a little larger and two courts connected. We moved in last summer and know quite a few people. I know all of my surrounding neighbors, talk to them regularly, borrow things, etc. I knew a previous person and she lets us swim in her pool. The kids befriended another lady with a dog and she also has a pool and said we could swim. We always stop and talk to her when we see her. Recently I met her neighbors daughter (in her early 20's) and we were all walking one night. There are regular walkers that you can tell who they are and I know most of them by name. I love my neighborhood. It's not overly filled with kids, which I like, it's a good mix of retired or nearly retired people and younger couples. We are considered in the "county" but we are a mile from Meijer. I like that because our taxes are lower than if we were in the city.

~Phlox

I love my house. the location. it's perfect for us.

I hate all the houses look alike. I hate how no other parent comes out with their children! I hate that people don't wave but give dirty looks when they drive by. Ok, some do wave but most drive too fast.

The HOA hasn't bothered us much but I have some issues with how they have handled some things...

so while I love the house I do wish we have a more friendly atmosphere. people don't sit outside and talk....

We are in the city of Chicago. The neighborhoods are not like the subdivisions of the suburbs I grew up in. We can see the interstate, the El train, and the Metra train from my front yard. I very busy street is visible from my front room.

I guess our block is our "neighborhood." I know who most of my neighbors are but I don't see or talk to many of them. There are a few moms who take their children out for walks, and we stop and talk. My next door neighbors are always out working on their beautiful yard, and we talk a lot. They stop by with cookies and popsicles. People on my block know I take in children in crisis, so every now and then toys and bags of clothes appear on our front porch. In the winter people help each other clear snow from the sidewalks.

When my children play outside, they stay in the fenced backyard. It is just too busy to let them go to the front or ride their bikes down the street. I sometimes wish they could have the freedom I had growing up, but I love all the things the city has to offer. We spend lots of time downtown, at museums, enjoying festivals, concerts, and the like. I love the diversity they live in day after day. I never imagined I would, but I love living in the city!

Your neighborhood sounds so nice! Ours is a typical subdivision...smile, nod, head into the house. :( I know the names of exactly 4 neighbors and we've lived here 4 years! Guess I should introduce myself to someone! There is a little playground with a field & basketball court, we spend a lot of time there all alone in nice weather...

It took us *forever* to have friends for the boys to play with in our neighborhood. I know how that situation feels. Lonely & sad for oneself and for the kids. [sniff]

For what it's worth, *we* would be there at the park with you, then the boys would pull you back to our place for some serious pretend games and sports. And cookies. Lots of cookies. :)

We live in ND. People are polite but reserved in our neighborhood. We have made lots of hs friends through our hs group and various activites.

Physically, our home is on a quiet street off a more main road. We are eight blocks from the busiest street in our small town. We can walk to just about everything if we have too. But we have our favorite stores that we drive to for things like organic yogurt.:001_huh:

The neighbors are all at different times of life. We have early 20's no kids. Single 50's no kids. Senior citizens. Two families have teen boys that are very well behaved. No kids the ages of my children. Nobody interacts.

So we leave the house for fun. Lots of it this summer!

I have mixed feelings about my neighborhood.

We are in a suburban part of a kind of rural town. It's a mix of lake communities nestled in the mountains and down the mountain is new developments and farms and a ski resort with a small suburban sprall kind of town.

I live in one of the lake communities on 1/2 acre lot on a dead end street, backing up to a state park. It's pretty here, and we have a few families on our block with kids that my kids like. The kids are usually out running around each others yards and playing (which I love) but my husband and I don't really have anyone here that we consider friends (which I hate).

We have a fire pit in our yard and on nice evenings, I'll go around to all the neighbors and tell them we are having a campfire - I invite them to come over and toast marshmallows, the kids get sparklers and run around and the adults can chit chat which is fun but I wish we had the kind of neighbors others here are talking about.

The other thing is that I would love to have a cow and some chickens but that is not allowed in the neighborhood.

Last bad thing is that there is really no where for the kids to bike to around here (living on a steep mountain) and we have to drive everywhere.

I hate all the houses look alike. I hate how no other parent comes out with their children! I hate that people don't wave but give dirty looks when they drive by. Ok, some do wave but most drive too fast.

The HOA hasn't bothered us much but I have some issues with how they have handled some things...

so while I love the house I do wish we have a more friendly atmosphere. people don't sit outside and talk....

Sounds like you live in my neighborhood! :001_huh:

Wow that sounds so beautiful. (OP)

I live in suburbia, wealthy, riverside suburbia,(we are not wealthy, we just like living here) where neighbors generally don't talk to each other. We do know our neighbours a little- enough to wave every now and then, and an occasional conversation. There is hostility with two neighours unfortunately.

However the good aspect is that it is a quiet street, quiet enough for the kids to play cricket on, lots of nature walks nearby, and lots of kids. It makes the world of difference for my son to have have kids on the street to play with after school.

We live on nice quiet street with lots of kids. The kids can ride bikes, skate or play ball in the street without fear. Most of the neighbors are friendly and those that aren't keep to themselves. The older lady across the street treats all the children like they are her grandchildren (and she has the sweetest great dane).

After living on a busy corner in an unfriendly neighborhood for eleven years and then 2 years with neighbors that were only friendly in order to be nosy, the last year and a half living here has been a breath of fresh air.

We live in the kind of neighborhood where the we talk over the fence to each other. The houses were built in the 50's and we are pretty much in each other's pockets. We have one neighbor who rarely comes out but the others we generally see fairly regularly and we talk.

:001_smile:

We are on a very busy street. We know the names of our 2 closest neighbors.

There is no where to ride bikes safely and cars go too fast to walk with no sidewalk. When I was walking daily, I had to drive to the corner store and park so I could walk somewhere with a sidewalk.

No, not the ideal situation but its home.

We live in a subdivision, but the houses are spread out some, maybe 1/2-3/4 acre lots. I rarely see people outside and have only seen other kids a few times. There is one house with really young children that are outside alot and then I see a few kids get off the bus, but that's it. On Saturday you see people mowing the lawns, but during the week it's like a ghost town LOL.

We moved into Stepford-ville. Everyone walks the sidewalks, kids play together, we've met our neighbors on either side of us and waved at the neighbors across the street. It's a pretty friendly place so far, we moved here last week. The kids have met through the shared fence in the backyard and invited each other over. I dislike how close the houses are to each other but so far it's been nice. The pool seems to be the gathering place here for moms/kids, we haven't done that yet.

I live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood on 1/3 acre lots. Most houses were built in the mid-90's. My boring house backs to a wildlife reserve area/creek that insulates us from the neighboring quarry and Marine Corps training fields (BOOM! and artillery fire!). We are sandwiched between young families with toddlers in daycare and unruly teenagers. We had some kids in my kid's age group that moved in for a few years, but honestly, they were so racist, I could not let them play with my children unsupervised. It was sad for me to hear children with these kind of attitudes as I grew up in a very integrated neighborhood and had friends from many different cultures. When they moved, I was very relieved. Suprisingly, since they moved, I haven't had the doorbell ring and run prank or any more destruction to my property...

My next door neighbors have added some family members to their household. I think they are combining households because of the downturn in the construction trade. However, they have taken to fixing up wrecked cars (which are stored in their backyard). Currently, they have a make-shift paint shop erected under their deck. The HOA has written them up, but so far nothing has come of it.:001_huh: They have kids that stay inside all day. I'm not sure how many there are....

We have friends from park day, karate and long-time family friends. Unfortunately, it requires me getting into a car to meet up with them. Bums me out that my neighborhood hasn't been a good fit for our family.

I'm so envious of those of you with the "front-porch" neighborhoods.

K

sounds like our neighborhood to a "t"!!

I do have to say though, I like our immediate neighbors, we live in a cul-de-sac and we've all become pretty close in the past 5 years.

We have moved with my husband's job 6 six in my boys' lives. This last move, we wanted woods or a lake or some land for my nature-driven family. We felt like we didn't want to live in a subdivision--too close quarters and none of the above.

So, we live on a lake shared by 5 others houses. We have 2 incredible neighbors on two sides but they are older couples. No kiddos which is what we are in much need of as my kids have no friends here.

We do have a place where they can ride 4-wheelers, practice golf shots in their front yard, build fires in our firepit(we had hot dogs and smores just last night!!!) and shoot fireworks with applause from next door. We have a hill for sledding in the winter and kayaks,a small boat with trowling motor for fishing and 2 kayaks. The community is small town and it has been hard to find kids---seems like public school is the only way kids associate with each other. I sort of feel sad for my kids as they are really wanting close friends to share their paradise here on our lake.

Ours is exactly like this as well. However I do have one neighbor across the street with 2 kids who has made my life miserable with her crazy lies. Her dd is jealous of mine and issues have resulted...therefore, we're moving in the spring. I'll be more careful about being so friendly with the neighbors. Sometimes it's like Desperate Housewives around here, but without the exciting happenings. Bored women with nothing to do...maybe they should homeschool! :D

ummm we live in a neighborhood on the edge. You see we are about 1/2 of mile from a "hood" type area of town. So our neighborhood is great when school is in session and everyone is at work but once it is summer and school is out it seems on the edge. The neighbors are nice, even crazy cat lady is nice just crazy with her bazillion cats:glare: but everyone seems to work hard and try to keep there kids in line, it is a few teenageres that don't seem to have enough supervision.

blessings

lori

a small town with a conservative university in it. THe town is about 3000. We live in the township (the country) on 6 acres. Our neighbors to the right have 25 acres, our neighbors to the left have 100 acres, and our retired US Senator just bought the 245 acres behind us with no plans to develop it. WE borrow things from our neighbors. Our town is alot like Mayberry. Everyone knows everyone including everyone else's business. ;) Kids walk or ride bikes all over with no fear of crime. It is a great place to live.

I live in the same house I grew up in. Dh and I bought it in 1991. It used to be in the country-we have 1.6 acres-it's now in the city. When I was growing up the moms used to visit over the fence with their coffee, we all knew each other, I often got sent to the neighbor's to borrow a cup of sugar or whatever, we kids played outside in different yards until late during the summer. It was great.

Today it's a different story. We know the neighbors to the east. There are two couples that still live here that I know from when I lived here before. That is it. My children have no neighborhood friends, which could be a blessing but doesn't often feel that way. I've never borrowed sugar from a neighbor although the people next door are very helpful such as when we didn't have water for a couple days. I wish it were like what I knew growing up. I chalk it up to changing times.

Janet

A few years ago when my dad died my mom decided to move closer to J and me, and she came to Terre Haute and found a place here. I moved in about a month later--for a while I was one of the youngest ones here (at 35!). Most everyone here is retired and they seem to either have a white car, a bicycle, or a dog--or some combination.

They spend evenings walking the neighborhood if they are able, and sitting outside in lawn chairs if they're not, while walkers stop to gab for a few minutes. Many have small dogs that they walk every evening--we see the minpin, the pug, and the dachsund every day. Others take a relaxed bike ride on the private drive which really doesn't seem to have a lot of traffic at all.

It was built about 30 years ago, and is directly adjacent to an assisted living/nursing home complex. People here have first priority for nursing home care, and many older people move in with the intention of going directly there when they can no longer care for themselves. There are people who take care of lawns and outside maintenance for us, and many do their own landscaping and flower gardens.

We are known as the girl in 620 with the boy that zips around on the red bike and the big black dog. It's about 5 minutes from Indiana State University, and on the other side of the neighborhood is the former Elks club that some doctors have purchased and are turning into a city recreation center.

All in all it's pretty peaceful, even if I do feel out of my element here at times.

I live in a cookie-cutter neighborhood on 1/3 acre lots. Most houses were built in the mid-90's. My boring house backs to a wildlife reserve area/creek that insulates us from the neighboring quarry and Marine Corps training fields (BOOM! and artillery fire!). We are sandwiched between young families with toddlers in daycare and unruly teenagers. We had some kids in my kid's age group that moved in for a few years' date=' but honestly, they were so racist, I could not let them play with my children unsupervised. It was sad for me to hear children with these kind of attitudes as I grew up in a very integrated neighborhood and had friends from many different cultures. When they moved, I was very relieved. Suprisingly, since they moved, I haven't had the doorbell ring and run prank or any more destruction to my property...

My next door neighbors have added some family members to their household. I think they are combining households because of the downturn in the construction trade. However, they have taken to fixing up wrecked cars (which are stored in their backyard). Currently, they have a make-shift paint shop erected under their deck. The HOA has written them up, but so far nothing has come of it.:001_huh: They have kids that stay inside all day. I'm not sure how many there are....

We have friends from park day, karate and long-time family friends. Unfortunately, it requires me getting into a car to meet up with them. Bums me out that my neighborhood hasn't been a good fit for our family.

I'm so envious of those of you with the "front-porch" neighborhoods.

K[/quote']

I think you must be a neighbor of mine. My backyard connects to the Isaak Walton League wildlife preserve and QMB is across 610 from me.