Menu

What's for dinner at your house tonight?

We're having Indian-inspired stuff tonight. I picked tonight to make this meal, because it's a little more time consuming than most, and I expected that we'd all be home to eat. Then, my husband reminded me that he is in a class today and tomorrow and has no control over his schedule.

I opted to forge ahead, anyway, because both kids were extremely disappointed thinking I wouldn't.

I am making:

- Chickpea curry

- Potato curry

- Mint chutney

- Onion chutney

- Basmati

I'm also frying papadam and samosas, but those come from boxes.

I do make my own samosas frequently. My son has been craving them, though, and I haven't had time to make them. So, he's making do with frozen for the moment.

What's everyone else having?

We're having Indian-inspired stuff tonight. I picked tonight to make this meal, because it's a little more time consuming than most, and I expected that we'd all be home to eat. Then, my husband reminded me that he is in a class today and tomorrow and has no control over his schedule.

I opted to forge ahead, anyway, because both kids were extremely disappointed thinking I wouldn't.

I am making:

- Chickpea curry

- Potato curry

- Mint chutney

- Onion chutney

- Basmati

I do make my own samosas frequently. My son has been craving them, though, and I haven't had time to make them. So, he's making do with frozen for the moment.

:blink:

Well, gee.....I'm a total failure again. :D I am so tired today that I ended up getting a hot deli chicken since there was a deal. I will make my own mashed potatoes though. :001_smile:

Yum! We love Indian food here-where do you get your samosa recipe? We love samosas!

It's been trial and error, figuring out what works best. I started with the recipe in a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me, but we've played with it over the years.

:blink:

Well, gee.....I'm a total failure again. :D I am so tired today that I ended up getting a hot deli chicken since there was a deal. I will make my own mashed potatoes though. :001_smile:

Nope. Please notice I started this thread on a night when I am actually making something I'm willing to admit!

Dh is out of town again and I hate cooking when I know it will only be me, my oldest dd and ds who will eat most of what we have. Picky eaters I have. But, I got some fresh wild caught salmon on sale yesterday so we're having baked salmon, corn on the cob, and a salad. Nothing fancy, but healthy enough, and I feel good that I'm having something besides frozen pizza, chicken nuggets or spaghetti w/ jar sauce.

I am making:

- Chickpea curry

- Potato curry

- Mint chutney

- Onion chutney

- Basmati

Yum! I stay away from fried and thus bake my samosas.

For dinner we are having spinach/smoked gouda quiche and tossed salad. My CSA has kicked in and we're rolling in greens! :lol: Also, corn muffins with dried cherries.

"Speedy Layered Chicken Enchiladas" with a green salad and fruit kebabs on the side. I made brownies topped with chocolate chips, vanilla chips and pecans, so we'll have those for dessert as part of a brownie sundae with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge topping.

I am making:

- Chickpea curry

- Potato curry

- Mint chutney

- Onion chutney

- Basmati

Your food sounds wonderful!

Since the kids leave late tonight, for our last dinner they wanted...pot roast with potatoes and carrots. A big garden salad and homemade rolls.

Malabar (Asian) Spinach Salad

Roasted Beets

Hobo-style Pinto Beans

Kale

Turmeric-spiced steamed Turkish bulgar

Bill

Gotta ask: what are "hobo-style" pintos?

Over the weekend, I made Drunken Beans using a recipe from public radio's The Splendid Table. One of my favs.

Tossing out the recipe for fellow bean lovers.

I just threw some chicken breasts in the crockpot with some salsa and a little chicken stock.

DH is picking up tortilla wraps on the way home.

I will add some rice to the crock in a little while. When chicken rice mix is cooked I'll open up a can of refried beans, slab it all onto some wraps for burritos, throw some fresh veggies on the side and call it supper.

I'm a very lazy cook.

Potluck banquet for 4H Shooting Sports awards night.

It's the same thing every year. 30 families bring cookies. 30 families bring chips. One person brings a handful of carrot sticks. I've heard that if you are one of the first 100 people in line there are things like cheese and venison sausage, but I've never actually seen them.

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but not by much. A few of us bring dishes that call for forks. I'm bringing pasta salad loaded with veggies, and there will be plenty of that left when I go through the line with the rest of the old people at the end.:D

It's a fun night, and it's obviously not just about the food. My family can eat differently tomorrow. Tonight, we enjoy the cookies with the rest of the folks.

Gotta ask: what are "hobo-style" pintos?

Good question! :D

That's just a name I made up. Basically whole pintos that are mostly cooked (then well rinsed) that are finished off with slow-caramelized onions and a head of garlic, stewed fresh or canned plum tomatoes, with just a few drops of liquid smoke to give them a "cooked over a camp-fire" flavor.

It all gets cooked in one pot (enameled cast iron).

Bill

That's just a name I made up. Basically whole pintos that are mostly cooked (then well rinsed) that are finished off with slow-caramelized onions and a head of garlic, stewed fresh or canned plum tomatoes, with just a few drops of liquid smoke to give them a "cooked over a camp-fire" flavor.

Bill

in a singing voice :YUMMMMM I will be trying this one :)

Bill

YUM!!!!

Well, I had no idea, and then we were in town and smelled this delicious smell of German sausage on the grill coming from one of the cafes down the street and my son is just smelling and smelling and I'm thinking, "that smells really good", so we went and bought some German Sausage and I'm making that with probably scalloped potatoes.

Bill

Yum! I might be tempted to add chipotle...

Since it's just the toddler and I, we're having grilled cheese sandwiches, strawberries, and cucumber sticks. Fancy for sure.

Just incase anyone was jealous of my amazing menu (:lol:), here's how dinner actually went:

Food consumed: 1 cucumber slice, 1/8 sandwich

Minutes of screaming tantrum: approximately 12

Food dropped in bathtub full of water: 1/4 sandwich

Number of toddlers fast asleep in bed by 6:20: 1

Time in the middle of the night said toddler will wake up starving: still a mystery

Edited by Annie