Menu

Beautiful but sad songs-name some

I like "The Drugs Don't Work" by the Verve. I don't know if people would call that a "beautiful" song, but there was a point in my life where I strongly identified with it.

(going to show my age on some)

Lonely Boy-Andrew Gold

Please Come To Boston-Dave Loggins

Butterfly Kisses-Bob Carlisle

Concrete Angel-Martina McBride

Same Old Lang Syne-Dan Fogelberg

A Thousand Years(Twilight)-Christina Perri

Because You Loved Me-Celine Dion

Earth Song-Michael Jackson

For What it's Worth-Buffalo Springfield

World on Fire-Sarah McLachlan

Photograph-Nickleback

Savin' Me-Nickleback

Hands-Jewel

Hero-Mariah Carey

Empty Garden-Elton John

Edited by dancer67

It is interesting to me how all this works. See, I hardly ever listen to lyrics. I listen to music and usually have a very hard time telling anyone what the song was about unless I actually make a conscious effort to think about that.

Anyway, I know the song Hurt but only the Johnny Cash version. I have heard it plenty of times since my dh is a Johnny fan and often plays his cds while he is doing chores or woodworking. Anyway, I never realized that this song was supposed to be sad. I liked the song fine but never listened to the lyrics.

The Cat's in the Cradle is one I do know what it is about and I do agree with that one. Hallelujah is one I consider both beautiful and sad but I have no idea about the lyrics.

I Loved Her First. I guess it's about a dad giving away his daughter at a wedding, but it reminds me of my kids' birth mothers and foster families.

One More Night. Someone sang this at karaoke about his friend who was dying of AIDS.

Edited by SKL

Hurt. By Nine Inch Nails...I like Johnny Cash's version too.

That song leaves me near weeping.

:iagree: I prefer Johnny's version. Also Hallelujah - my favorite is KD Lang's version. And in the movie Boys on the Side, Whoopi Goldberg sings a sad version of You Got It that breaks my heart.

I'm pretty certain Nina Simone could have sung Walking on Sunshine and made it sound melancholy (and I mean that as a compliment).

True.

Was it Linda Ronstadt who sang:

And life's full of flaws

Who knows the cause?

Living in the memory of a love that never was

Cause I've done everything I know to try and change your mind

and I think I'm gonna miss you for a long long time

Cause I've done everything I know to try and make you mine

And I think I'm gonna love you for a long long time.

Sob.

:iagree: I prefer Johnny's version. Also Hallelujah - my favorite is KD Lang's version. And in the movie Boys on the Side, Whoopi Goldberg sings a sad version of You Got It that breaks my heart.

True.

I think I prefer Johnny's Version too. But I played the NIN's version for a friend of ds the other day who didn't realize Johnny didn't write it.

I first heard that song when my brother posted it on his Facebook page a few days after his best, longest childhood friend died after years of abusing his body and mind with drugs. He was 39.

It is interesting to me how all this works. See, I hardly ever listen to lyrics. I listen to music and usually have a very hard time telling anyone what the song was about unless I actually make a conscious effort to think about that.

That is interesting. If I can't understand the lyrics or if I can't figure out what they are suppose to mean I can hardly enjoy the song.

Anyway, I know the song Hurt but only the Johnny Cash version. I have heard it plenty of times since my dh is a Johnny fan and often plays his cds while he is doing chores or woodworking. Anyway, I never realized that this song was supposed to be sad. I liked the song fine but never listened to the lyrics.

The Cat's in the Cradle is one I do know what it is about and I do agree with that one. Hallelujah is one I consider both beautiful and sad but I have no idea about the lyrics.

Funny you don't think of "Hurt" as sad. To me his voice is just overflowing with pain and saddness.

Cat's in the Cradle is also one of my favs.