Menu

has anyone gotten pregnant while exclusively BFing?

... or do you know of anyone who has? :bigear:

DD is 5 months and EB. My period returned 6 weeks PP but I don't know if they're annovulatory or not. Sometimes they're very light.

Anyway, DH and I are still trying to figure out what if any BC to use. I'm just wondering anecdotally if anyone has gotten pregnant while exclusively BFing (no bottles or solids) or if you know anyone who has?

TIA

Yep! And without a period. :D

ETA: I haven't had a period since I got pregnant the first time over 6 years ago because I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding ever since then. Just because you haven't had a period does NOT mean you cannot get pregnant.

Yup. He was planned, though. I had my first pp period when Ani was 9 months old. She was exclusively breastfed until 11 1/2 months old and was still nursing through the night until older than that. I knew I ovulated before my first pp period. I got pregnant with Cameron the next month.

um yeah, BF and (correctly) using a condom. I added the correctly b/c people tend to assume we must have been using it wrong, but that simply wasn't the case.

My sister conceived my niece using a condom (correctly). I always assumed those things were foolproof! It didn't slip off of break. :confused:

There is a reason for the term "Irish Twins." ;)

No... but that's only because I didn't believe my SIL who told me that it didn't matter if I was having regular cycles or not...BF exclusively would prevent me from getting pregnant :001_huh: (she's also the type to *not* get her period while BF... in fact, between her first and her 11th, she did not have a cycle. They are all between 18-21 months. No cycle between #12 and #13, either. Some women have all the luck :D.

Yes, I was bfing twins. AND I had been infertile for seven years before I had the twins. I thought there was no way...

but dd#2 is 18 months younger than the twins. :001_smile:

I had introduced a few solids by then, so I guess I wasn't exclusively bfing.

Even without periods, exclusive breastfeeding starts to lose effectiveness around 6 months.
I wish that was the case for me! I can exclusively BF, my babies can drop their middle of the night feeding at 6 weeks or so, introduce solids, and can get down to one...yes, ONE...nursing session/day and I don't ovulate. :glare: I would love to understand why some women get their cycles back and some don't.

I wasn't still exclusively bf'ing, but I hadn't had a period yet, so I thought I was safe. Then my supply dropped off even though my bOOks were still sore, and ds weaned himself, and I put two and two together. The kids are 19 months apart.

I was breastfeeding, but I think I had JUST started solids, barely, and got pregnant right away (6 months PP). If you're not ovulating yet, you are probably on the very brink.

Have you thought about using Natural Family Planning (mucus signs / basal body temperatures, etc - there are different methods) instead of birth control?Feel free to PM me.

I had introduced a few solids by then, so I guess I wasn't exclusively bfing.

I think this is an important point to make. Exclusively breast feeding doesn't mean no formula. It means nothing else at all. You shouldn't even use a pacifier if you are using breastfeeding to space kids.

Yes, I know people to whom this has happened. More than one.

Breastfeeding is considered effective birth control if:

1. You are exclusively nursing, on demand;

2. Your baby is six months or younger;

3. You have not had a postpartum period.

You have a period. You are or could be fertile. You need another form of birth control if you don't want to be pregnant.

Yes, I know people to whom this has happened. More than one.

Breastfeeding is considered effective birth control if:

1. You are exclusively nursing, on demand;

2. Your baby is six months or younger;

3. You have not had a postpartum period.

You have a period. You are or could be fertile. You need another form of birth control if you don't want to be pregnant.[/

Before a period, there is ovulation. If that little egg manages to duck and cover, and/or not implant, you have a period. Women can certainly be fertile during exclusive bfing/no pacifiers. Exclusive bfing can help, but it's hardly a guarantee.

Edited by LibraryLover

Yes you can. My doctor told me I didn't need to worry about birth control after having my first daughter. I was bf exclusively on demand. I never started my cycle. 12 months after my first daughter was born, my second daughter was born. Breast feeding is NOT reliable birth control.

I know several women who have. Exclusive bfing is not a reliable birth control method. It might help; it works for some, but not a bit for others.

Yes, and I have a theory on this topic. Actually, 2 theories. One is that I believe the exclusive breastfeeding was the Design for optimal spacing, but that our food supply, artificial lighting, and other factors accelerate post partum fertility in contemporary bodies. The other theory is that a significant percentage of women who have early returning fertility hasten fertility through a role in decreasing feedings, sleep training, night weaning, pacifiers, etc.

I thought everyone knew that exclusive breastfeeding as a birth control is a myth.

I have got pregnant twice while exclusive breastfeeding and being on the pill.

I don't think it is a myth. People get pregnant on condoms and pills all the time. That doesn't mean that they are myths. I think most people don't practice exclusive breastfeeding appropriately. You really can't push back feedings. You have to be the pacifier. If baby fusses, roots around, etc, you need to feed. I think night feedings are also really key for keeping hormone levels where they need to be.

Of course, some people will do all this and still be part of the percentage the method will fail for. But, pretty much every birth control has a percentage fail rate. After my second baby, my midwives told me if you don't want to be pregnant, you should be using two forms of birth control at all times. I'd rather not be quite that careful. ;) Then again, we're on baby #4. But we're married... and we like kids. So, who cares, right?

Yes, and I have a theory on this topic. Actually, 2 theories. One is that I believe the exclusive breastfeeding was the Design for optimal spacing, but that our food supply, artificial lighting, and other factors accelerate post partum fertility in contemporary bodies. The other theory is that a significant percentage of women who have early returning fertility hasten fertility through a role in decreasing feedings, sleep training, night weaning, pacifiers, etc.

I really think it is from your second option. Studies I have read of different societies show that other cultures breastfeed much, much more frequently than americans. I think most people would try a different method of comforting an infant if it cries 10 minutes after feeding. Other cultures would nurse the baby again. I think a lot of people space feedings without even realizing they are "spacing feedings". And, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing... it's just bad if you are using breastfeeding for birth control.

Yes, I did. My dd was about 5.5 months old and still exclusively bf when we found out #3 was pending arrival. I knew it could happen, I just didn't realize it would happen to me lol

It is interesting that a few pp mentioned decreased feedings and less night feedings as bringing back fertility at a faster rate. Dd was my "easy" baby. She started sleeping though the night really early. I hadn't considered how that might have affected our outcome.

Edited by Gingerbread Mama