Menu

has anyone gotten pregnant while exclusively BFing?

I thought everyone knew that exclusive breastfeeding as a birth control is a myth.

I have got pregnant twice while exclusive breastfeeding and being on the pill.

Studies have shown the lactational amenorrhea method to be pretty effective (98%?) if practiced properly. There are actually two competing myths: 1) breastfeeding provides no protection against pregnancy, and 2) any breastfeeding at all provides complete protection against pregnancy.

Yes, and I have a theory on this topic. Actually, 2 theories. One is that I believe the exclusive breastfeeding was the Design for optimal spacing, but that our food supply, artificial lighting, and other factors accelerate post partum fertility in contemporary bodies. The other theory is that a significant percentage of women who have early returning fertility hasten fertility through a role in decreasing feedings, sleep training, night weaning, pacifiers, etc.

Yep. All of this. I read about a study that showed that increasing the caloric intake of a group of lactating women in a developing country didn't increase their milk supply, but it did cause them to ovulate sooner than the average in their country.

I really think it is from your second option. Studies I have read of different societies show that other cultures breastfeed much, much more frequently than americans. I think most people would try a different method of comforting an infant if it cries 10 minutes after feeding. Other cultures would nurse the baby again. I think a lot of people space feedings without even realizing they are "spacing feedings". And, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing... it's just bad if you are using breastfeeding for birth control.

:iagree:Babies in more traditional societies nurse about every 15 minutes for a few minutes throughout the day and night. Not many Western babies do that.

In my own case, I used Lactational Amenorrhea for the first 6 months of my DD's life, then switched to another method of birth control once I felt that was no longer reliable. I didn't get pregnant. Since my DS likes a pacifier and sleeps much better than my DD did, I never trusted LAM and used another birth control method from the very beginning.

... or do you know of anyone who has? :bigear:

DD is 5 months and EB. My period returned 6 weeks PP but I don't know if they're annovulatory or not. Sometimes they're very light.

Anyway, DH and I are still trying to figure out what if any BC to use. I'm just wondering anecdotally if anyone has gotten pregnant while exclusively BFing (no bottles or solids) or if you know anyone who has?

TIA

I know several who have gotten pregnant while exclusively breastfeeding but virtually no one who has gotten pregnant while exclusively eco-breastfeeding. This means feeding on demand, no nursing further apart than four hours, co-sleeping, being near your child the majority of the day, no food, no supplementation, no pacifiers, child not sleeping through the night. As a matter of fact, even I have only gotten pregnant ONCE that way, lol. And my beloved Olivia is absolutely worth it even if she was a little bit of a shock. Daniella was about eight months old. ;) Ironic as Olivia is now right months old, but I'm tandem nursing as insurance.:lol:

I wanted to add that if you are VERY aware of all the facets of fertility you ARE usually warned. I did not have any warning annovulatory period or spotting.. However, I noticed the month before that my body was beginning to regulate its' cervical mucus cycles. The next month I thought, "Hmmmm. If I didn't know better I would think that was fertile mucus." Ladies, THOSE are famous last words. :)

Edited by BlsdMama

I wish that was the case for me! I can exclusively BF, my babies can drop their middle of the night feeding at 6 weeks or so, introduce solids, and can get down to one...yes, ONE...nursing session/day and I don't ovulate. :glare: I would love to understand why some women get their cycles back and some don't.

SO true! I know many women who EBF, but get their periods back as early as 6 weeks postpartum. I on the other hand do not get my period/fertility back at all until about 18 months postpartum. This despite babies who sleep through the night, start solids by 9 months, a couple used pacifiers, etc. I *know* I remain infertile all that time, because I start charting within the first few months "just in case." Not to mention, whenever my fertility does return, I've been pregnant again each time within 2 months. :blush:

My theory is that some women are just genetically predisposed to a larger spacing between children, while others are genetically predisposed to being like my husband's great-grandmother who birthed 18 children over 25 years. She was absolutely breastfeeding, but a baby came along nearly every year regardless. I've often wondered why some women, in the pre-birth control era, would have 10 or 12 or more children, while others would have only 3 or 4, or even one. Of course, sometimes family dynamics came into play, as well as disease or untimely death. But in doing genealogy research, I've found many intact families who consistently had children every 2-3 years and others much closer together and it did seem to affect their overall family size.

I really think it is from your second option. Studies I have read of different societies show that other cultures breastfeed much, much more frequently than americans. I think most people would try a different method of comforting an infant if it cries 10 minutes after feeding. Other cultures would nurse the baby again. I think a lot of people space feedings without even realizing they are "spacing feedings". And, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing... it's just bad if you are using breastfeeding for birth control.

Well...not here. Maybe you could argue that with my 1st, but my other 4, I was "attached" to my babies constantly. They fussed, I nursed, I co-slept...and nursed more during the night, than not. No pacis, no thumb-suckers...no bottles...just. me. Nursing, and how exhausted it makes me, is probably my biggest reason for not being pregnant right now. :tongue_smilie:

Some women are just different than others. Like my MW told me, there are all variations of normal, I just happen to get my period at 6weeks PP, no matter what I do (or do not do).

Just like "averages" with anything, there are people on both ends of the spectrum, with most people in the middle. I am normal. I was doing things "right." I'm just on the other end of that bell curve.

Believe me, I would like nothing better than to be cycle free for even 3 months...without being pregnant. For some of us, it just doesn't work that way.

My first two are 13 months apart and I only BF (she wouldn't even take bmilk in a bottle). I never got a period--just a baby boy:).

Same here, but a baby girl..:D. Oh, and according to another's terminology, I was only ecofeeding, always on demand, how else would a baby gain 8 pounds their first six weeks! And, only one interaction formed our baby!

Edited by ma23peas

It is surprising that so many on this thread have experience with pregnancy while ebf, since it is considered to be at least 98% effective as birth control when followed properly. Check out the Kelly Mom site for more info.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

I used this website and followed all the advice. I must be the 2%.

Great to know I'm normal! My mother told me if I EBF, I wouldn't get pregnant, because that's how it worked for her! Ha, I got pregnant when DD was 4mo. Surprise! After I had my 3rd, I was at my family doctor's, and the nurse there was shocked to hear that I had already gotten my period 2mo. postpartum since I was BF. How did she not know that? I HATE it when people say then I must not have been doing it enough or right.

Oh well, I know better now. I do not take any chances!!!! =):001_smile: