Menu

Have you *ever* used "artificial" birth control? (please read first)

Have you ever used "artificial" birth control? (please read OP first)  

1. 1. Have you ever used "artificial" birth control? (please read OP first)

• Yes, but ONLY for health reasons (e.g. the pill for Dysmenorrhea)
    • Yes, but ONLY if you include my partner/SO/spouse
    • Yes, I've used hormonal, barrier, IUD, or other
    • No, not even once
    • Obligatory other

I think I've broken this down as simply as possible. :001_smile:

ETA: "Ever" means ever in your life, not just your current relationship. :)

What doesn't count for the purpose of this poll: abstinence; permanent birth control (e.g. vasectomy); NFP, rhythm, "withdrawal," or similar methods; or the morning-after pill.

Barrier and chemical methods such as the sponge, spermicide, condoms do count, as does anything you'd need a prescription for, including IUDs.

Clarification of Choice #2: Relationship status doesn't matter. This just means (for example) a woman who hasn't used any method herself but who had a partner who used a condom. Or a man who never used anything but had a partner who was on the pill.

Edited by nmoira

What do you mean by # 2 "only if you include s/o or spouse?" Used birth control only in a committed relationship such as marriage?

I mean, for example, if your partner used a condom, but you've never used anything. I've deliberately left relationship status out of the poll (I'll clarify in the OP).

Edited by nmoira

I never have with my DH but did in previous relationships. So I'm not sure how to vote. We have used withdrawal which always worked for us, and we're super fertile.
Ever in your life, not just your current relationship.

Never. Discovered in Human Sexuality class in college that I'm allergic to both latex and spermacide. So no condoms or barrier methods. I have a serious allergy to nickel, which is the active ingredient in most IUD's so those are out. The Pill is out due to my thyroid issues being hormonally linked - the pill would cause it to flare. And fwiw NFP doesn't work for me either - tried that a few rounds too.

All this is the main reason I'm single and have been since I got pg with dd. I'm extremely fertile and I'm next in line in the family for twins :glare:

Never. Discovered in Human Sexuality class in college that I'm allergic to both latex and spermacide. So no condoms or barrier methods. I have a serious allergy to nickel, which is the active ingredient in most IUD's so those are out. The Pill is out due to my thyroid issues being hormonally linked - the pill would cause it to flare. And fwiw NFP doesn't work for me either - tried that a few rounds too.

All this is the main reason I'm single and have been since I got pg with dd. I'm extremely fertile and I'm next in line in the family for twins :glare:

:grouphug: You hit the trifecta there. I can't take the pill because I have a blood clotting disorder (DDs will be tested), but I have other options.

Yes, for the pill, before and in the early days of my marriage. It worked (we didn't get pregnant) but made me miserable, so I was glad to stop when we wanted to start our family. After dd#1 was born, I avoided going back on and in doing research about other methods of bc, found out the exact mechanisms of how the hormonal methods work and refused to use any of them. We used NFP to first avoid, then conceive dd#2. After her, we turned the whole thing over to God and now we have 6 wonderful children. :) I'm almost 42 and we are not doing anything to prevent. Would love another baby or two. :)

Edited by LadyMSews
typos

Isn't copper the active ingredient in IUDs? (Am I dating myself?)

Isn't copper the active ingredient in IUDs? (Am I dating myself?)

Most are a copper / nickel mix. I think the newer ones have nickel coated plastic if I am remembering right from my college class 8 years ago.

My professor said basically I was out of luck - there was nothing that would work for me, and I'd best get used to being called "Mama"

:grouphug: You hit the trifecta there. I can't take the pill because I have a blood clotting disorder (DDs will be tested), but I have other options.

I too have a clotting issue and can't take BCPs. However, my hematologist said it was really just Estrogen that I can't take. I have had a Mirena IUD for a year now and it has been great!

There are polyurethane condoms for people who are allergic to latex. The female condom is polyurethane. Spermicide is not a good idea for anyone unless you are absolutely, positively sure that your partner has no possible STD risks, because it causes tiny tears and abrasions which make entry routes for viruses.

Dh used condoms and then I went on the pill. We had two great kiddos while on the pill and then miscarried a third. Dh then had a vasectomy due to health issues we found out both our dds had at birth. No protection for either of us since.

I too have a clotting issue and can't take BCPs. However, my hematologist said it was really just Estrogen that I can't take. I have had a Mirena IUD for a year now and it has been great!

Same here - two years with the Mirena. I have had some mild side effects but I can't come up with any better alternatives (I so wish I could take oral contraceptives! blasted clotting disorder :glare:. Regardless of what they say about the progesterone component of oral contraceptives, I'm afraid to take them, even though I know there's some in the Mirena).

FWIW, I'm not aware of there being nickel in the Mirena.

I was on the pill for years when I was single. I also practiced safer sex. I think at some point I used the sponge, but I didn't like it. For the last 15 years or so it's been condoms. We keep thinking that DH should get a vasectomy, but we just never seem to get around to it. Now, I am in my mid 40s and we figure it isn't something we will have to worry about much longer :lol:

Same here - two years with the Mirena. I have had some mild side effects but I can't come up with any better alternatives (I so wish I could take oral contraceptives! blasted clotting disorder :glare:. Regardless of what they say about the progesterone component of oral contraceptives, I'm afraid to take them, even though I know there's some in the Mirena).

FWIW, I'm not aware of there being nickel in the Mirena.

You have to look closely -but if you have any liver problems - stay away from mirena.

I voted yes for hormonal, iud, barrier....

I used birth control pills for a long time till a christian mother pointed me to researching about the pill. I was mortified so we stopped as the months I was late I had huge huge clots those months (and very painfull). We switched to barrier method which is the diagphram for me.

Holly

Used the pill for years for PCOS, went off went I got married. Never conceived without clomid, anyway. Now trying to figure out what to do, because DH is adamant that he doesnt want more kids, and I can't quite get comfortable with the idea of a tubal and he won't get a vasectomy. Sigh...

Yep.

We both waited until marriage. We have used the pill, condoms, and Mirena. Now we are trying just tracking on a calendar (not sure what that is called) and being abstinent while ovulating. We never got pregnant while using any kind of birth control, and easily got pregnant when we wanted to. We have been very fortunate.

We used Norplant waaaaaaay back in 1999. After learning more about hormonal birth control we purposefully stopped preventing children though I would be comfortable with NFP and can almost always tell when ovulation is occurring even while nursing. :)

Neither my husband nor I ever used birth control (any form) before we were married, but then neither of us was sexually active prior to marriage. We did not use any BC after we were married because we were older (mid-30s) and wanted to conceive as soon as possible. We got pregnant with DD1 on the honeymoon. :D

We did use condoms for a brief time following the birth of DD1, mainly because I had thyroid cancer and we could NOT get pregnant during that treatment.

When that was "over," we became pregnant with DD2/3 (twins) and when I had the C-section for them, I had a tubal ligation. I am so glad we had that done, I do not regret that decision, but I was almost 40 years old at the time.

:grouphug: to you and hope you find a solution that works for you soon.

Yes, hormonal and barrier methods. I am allergic to latex so had to use non-latex condoms. Turns out I stay not-pregnant alot longer when I don't use birth control.....apparently with DH birth control makes me fertile (go figure) as my first 3 were conceived while on BC

Back before kids I used several brands of pill and the depo shots before the Dr's agreed that hormonal BC was a very very bad idea for me. I can not use it at all. As a teen I also used condoms s few tiimes before learning I am allergic to them. Also can not use the copper IUD because I am allergic to copper.

After going through my sexually active teen years I had my first 2 kids and got married and thought I would never have to think about BC again. Then I left my husband. I went through a short lived phase of making up for lost time and then became celibate. 9 years ago I conceived my ds8, and stayed celibate until I was ready for another. I conceived and m/c, then tried again a few months later. I have been celibate every since the night I conceived dd4.

I am extremely fertile, and given that I can not use BC it is not worth the risk of pg or disease imo

I have used condoms in the past (well, the male did).

For many years Dh has used withdrawal - it works for us. I am glad it works as it is certainly the easiest and most convenient (for me at least :D ).

I also voted wrong - picked number 3 when it should have been number 2. I did not quite grasp the difference on the first read.

or the morning-after pill.

??

What is the purpose of this poll?

Why is the morning after pill not included in the list of "artificial birth control"

Birth control is much in the media now in the US, and I'm somewhat baffled by this because I was under the impression that the vast majority of women have used it at one time or another. I don't want to make the discussion political, about relationship status, or about rationale, because we all have our reasons for doing what we do and this isn't about judgment. I excluded the morning after pill because its use would typically be after non-consensual sex or where another means of birth control failed to be used. I limited the choices to non-permanent methods consciously put in place (so to speak) ahead of a consensual act.

Edited by nmoira

Without passing judgment on people's particular birth control choices, yeah, I've seen all this media coverage resulting from the presidential campaign and all i could think it: it's the Twenty-first Century, the economy is not doing so great, and this is what these clown-like politicians want to talk about?