Menu

I am seriously traumatized

I have seen one and only one without anesthesia. I was working in a hospital without 24hour a day anesthesia and a baby needed out NOW! The doctor injected a ton of lidocaine into the c/s site and the mom did well. Maybe this doctor did this. Don't be frightened by all the stories. Each birth is different.

I spent my morning interviewing a homebirth midwife. She told me that one of the local hospitals performed a csection a yearish ago.... Without anesthesia.

I am seriously freaked out, everyone. I can NOT imagine. :svengo:

Do you know if it's true? If it is, it had to be some extremely serious situation to do that. Was she saying this to make you afraid of hospitals?

I have seen one and only one without anesthesia. I was working in a hospital without 24hour a day anesthesia and a baby needed out NOW! The doctor injected a ton of lidocaine into the c/s site and the mom did well. Maybe this doctor did this. Don't be frightened by all the stories. Each birth is different.

I don't know all the specifics since I wasn't there, but the mom in this story didn't do well. At all.

Do you know if it's true? If it is, it had to be some extremely serious situation to do that. Was she saying this to make you afraid of hospitals?

She told me this to suggest a further away hospital in case of transfer. I see no reason to think she's lying, she is a respected member of the local birth community.

With my 3rd c-section, the anesthesia wore off before the surgery was finished. It was immediately obvious, and they knocked me out completely right then. I cannot imagine a whole c-section without anesthesia! I could only feel the pain for a matter of seconds, and I still remember it well 18 years later.

Did they purposely do that? What possible reason could there be?

I spent my morning interviewing a homebirth midwife. She told me that one of the local hospitals performed a csection a yearish ago.... Without anesthesia.

I am seriously freaked out, everyone. I can NOT imagine. :svengo:

I have a dear friend who had a placental abruption and began hemorrhaging. She had to have an emergency c-section and they started cutting before the anesthesia had completely kicked in. She was screaming in pain, and I think longterm her husband is more traumatized than she is. However, it saved her life and the life of her baby. There are times when *modern medicine* is both preferable and necessary.

I'm a big fan of natural childbirth, and home births if your pregnancy allows for it. All of my babies were born early and fast, and my son had to be in the NICU for nearly a month when he was born. I would be very nervous about a home birth for myself, considering my history, although I did go natural every time. A hospital seems like the best way to go for me. I think it's important to not allow proponents of one demonize the other, kwim?

I'd be willing to wager that there are some doctors who have horror stories to tell about home births. I wouldn't let her story scare you. Educate yourself on all your options and make the decision for you and your baby that is best for YOU and YOUR baby. :)

I have an Internet friend (that I have "known" for 10 years) that had this experience. I can't remember the details, but her baby needed out NOW and she had a CS w/o anesthesia. Obviously it was a horrifying experience for her. I can't recall if it was her oldest or youngest child, but she went on to adopt a 3rd. I also can't recall the details, but it was definitely an emergent situation.

It's definitely not something that happens often. I do think it's good that your MW it open about the hospital issues and why you would want to consider one over the other if a transport comes up. FWIW, I'm a homebirther, so I do get it, you really do have to weigh all options. Where I am, my MW would have been able to accompany me to the hospital, so that was a consideration for us.

With my 3rd c-section, the anesthesia wore off before the surgery was finished. It was immediately obvious, and they knocked me out completely right then. I cannot imagine a whole c-section without anesthesia! I could only feel the pain for a matter of seconds, and I still remember it well 18 years later.

Did they purposely do that? What possible reason could there be?

Emergent situation and this hospital doesn't have anesthesiologists there all the time. So it was either wait or go. It sounds like the mom made a brave choice, but I just can't imagine.

I have a dear friend who had a placental abruption and began hemorrhaging. She had to have an emergency c-section and they started cutting before the anesthesia had completely kicked in. She was screaming in pain, and I think longterm her husband is more traumatized than she is. However, it saved her life and the life of her baby. There are times when *modern medicine* is both preferable and necessary.

I'm a big fan of natural childbirth, and home births if your pregnancy allows for it. All of my babies were born early and fast, and my son had to be in the NICU for nearly a month when he was born. I would be very nervous about a home birth for myself, considering my history, although I did go natural every time. A hospital seems like the best way to go for me. I think it's important to not allow proponents of one demonize the other, kwim?

I'd be willing to wager that there are some doctors who have horror stories to tell about home births. I wouldn't let her story scare you. Educate yourself on all your options and make the decision for you and your baby that is best for YOU and YOUR baby. :)

:iagree: Good grief, if they always did that at ANY hospital it would be a HUGE deal. Scare tactics much??

The fact that the hospital doesn't have an anesthesiologist on staff at all times is reason enough to not consider it an option for homebirth transfer. MOST homebirth transfers are due to long labors and need of pain relief (ie, need for an anesthesiologist) and other transfers would be emergent (ie, need for anesthesiologist)

I'd cross that one right off my list if I had multiple options.

The fact that the hospital doesn't have an anesthesiologist on staff at all times is reason enough to not consider it an option for homebirth transfer. MOST homebirth transfers are due to long labors and need of pain relief (ie, need for an anesthesiologist) and other transfers would be emergent (ie, need for anesthesiologist)

:iagree:

I am a big fan of having a hospital with an onsite anesthesia available at all time. OK, big fan is a tremendous understatement.

I didn't even know that there was such a thing as a hospital without one. Wow. I shudder to think...

:grouphug:

Smaller hospitals don't have ful surgical staff in at all times. I have one hospital choice for vbacs because of this. I would definately go with a hospital with full staff at all times. The hospital where Ds was born had to cal the anethesiologist in when I changed my mind about an epidural. I had to continue in pain and exhaustion while he came in from home.

I had the first part of a c-section without any anesthesia; I had a prolapsed cord, was trying to have natural childbirth. I was in a hospital with full time anesthesia, but they got there after the O.B. started surgery and put me under. They did use topical lidocaine, and I honestly barely remember any of it. My pediatrician told me it was pretty bad, but everything turned out okay..they delievered my son fast enough that he was fine. It makes for a pretty impressive story.

Guys, the next nearest hospital is almost an hour away. I am just....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Almost an hour is fine! Just get going when you start labor. I am in a small town, and the nearest cities are almost an hour one way and two hours the other, and you would be surprised to hear how many of the delivering moms drive! The local hospitals don't have the best reputations either. And, you really want NICU nearby just in case.

My epidural wore off during my first c-section (it was extra long due to complications). I remember it and I remember crying out, but it was worth it at the end of the day and I had some very good pain killers shortly thereafter that took it all to a fuzzy place.

:iagree: Honestly, I wouldn't be super impressed with any midwife throwing around horror stories like this at a first meeting.

Almost an hour is fine! Just get going when you start labor. I am in a small town, and the nearest cities are almost an hour one way and two hours the other, and you would be surprised to hear how many of the delivering moms drive! The local hospitals don't have the best reputations either. And, you really want NICU nearby just in case.

I don't want to birth in the hospital unless I need to, though. I just want a decent transfer option. :(

That is crazy :001_huh: I'm also from Wyoming and this kind of has me freaked out!!

:svengo: I can not imagine. When I had an emergency c-section with dsK I remember right as he was pulled out I felt the most intense burning you EVER felt and then I woke up an hour later. Apparently the anesthesia was wearing off (FAST) and they knocked me out that quickly. I can not FATHOM doing that. Just can not!

Almost an hour is fine! Just get going when you start labor.

Almost an hour might be OK if you plan to deliver at the hospital, but it's not ideal as a homebirth backup. If you're heading to backup, it may be a situation where time is critical, so learning more about the nearest viable option would be wise. If the c-sec your midwife mentioned was an emergency, then I wouldn't knock the hospital for it; they may have saved two lives. However, if it was in error, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Get more info, if you can.

We are lucky in my area to have midwife-staffed birthing centers, both near major hospitals and IN major hospitals, as well as homebirth options and high-tech medical options, which makes it so much easier for moms to find the birthing situation that fits their unique circumstances.

Edited by askPauline

Almost an hour might be OK if you plan to deliver at the hospital, but not as a homebirth backup. If you're heading to backup, it may be a situation where time is critical, so learning more about the nearest viable option would be wise. If the c-sec your midwife mentioned was an emergency, then I wouldn't knock the hospital for it; they may have saved two lives. However, if it was in error, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Get more info, if you can.

We are lucky in my area to have midwife-staffed birthing centers, both near major hospitals and IN major hospitals, as well as homebirth options and high-tech medical options, which makes it so much easier for moms to find the birthing situation that fits their unique circumstances.

It WAS an emergency. And both baby and mom lived. That's a good perspective. I just... It's scary.

This almost happened to me. Thankfully I didn't realize it at the time, b/c I was just adamant that I would not have a c-section and pushed her out right before the c-section dr. got in the room. But afterwards I realized I wasn't given any medicine in preparation for the c-section and even now I can't think about it too long b/c it freaks me out. My baby was born gray and they told me 5 more min and she would have been born dead....so if they had done that, it would have been worth it! But oh my. oh my......can't imagine the pain.

Was she a home birth transfer? Sadly, I know of a few cases where doctors "punished" women for having the nerve to homebirth.

How do you know this for sure? The lawsuits associated with OB are unbelievable I seriously doubt a OB Dr. would deliberately do this.

What about life flight transfer?

Hopefully your pregnancy will be normal and uneventful.

What is your midwives transfer rate and what are the reasons? For my midwife we talked and talked about it as we do live a distance from the hospital. After talking, and lots of thinking and praying over it we felt good about delivery at home. It went fine.

My mom was conscious when they started the cutting with my little brother.

She arrived at the hospital, they put the monitor on her, ran her into the prepped surgery room where another woman was about to be placed on the table for her planned c-section, and put my mom on the table instead. The surgeon started immediately, but the anesthesiologist was only a step behind with a general, so she was awake for the cutting but went under without seeing the baby. The next thing she can remember was waking up in the recovery room with the pen in her hand and someone holding the consent form for her to sign.

Scary as that story is, they were able to resuscitate my brother, and so it was worth it for her. I think that any situation where a c-section is performed without anesthesia is one so dire that you want them to do so. I once read a birth story where the baby was in trouble and the doctors refused to start the surgery until the anesthesiologist arrived.

I would not decide against a hospital based on that incident the midwife told you about. (But if it was a matter of one hospital has an anesthesiologist on staff and the other doesn't, then yes, that would definitely make a difference.)

Smaller hospitals don't have ful surgical staff in at all times. I have one hospital choice for vbacs because of this. I would definately go with a hospital with full staff at all times.

Sometimes they can make other accommodations, though. I thought I would have to drive two hours to the closest hospital with full surgical staff for this baby, because I'm a vbac, and I was really, really worried about having to go that far in labor with my family history. But it turns out that the tiny hospital here in town can do vbacs--they just call in the surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc. when I go into labor, and they have to stay there until I give birth. Which I was kind of shocked to hear, honestly, and worried that they would start pushing for interventions to speed things up. But the two midwives I'm seeing have been working here a long time, and are very big into letting things progress naturally and not pushing, and they have assured me that that won't happen at all.

All that to say, maybe you can find out if they can make some accommodations at the nearer hospital-- like if you tell them your situation and arrange to have the mw let them know when you go into labor, so they can let the anesthesiologist know, and then if you do have to go in, have someone in charge of calling to immediately tell them that you are coming and to call the anesthesiologist in to meet you there. (I assume that a very small hospital is more likely to do this than a large one.)

I'm allergic to anesthesia. I went into to have my tonsils out as a child and nearly died.

As a homebirther, I could be that horror story. Going in for a c-section means I'm going in awake. I discussed that possibility with my midwife, with an OB, with an anesthesiologist, and a surgeon. Everyone agreed with hypnosis, but other suggestions were IV pain meds, numbing agents (like dentists use), and only doing any surgery to save my life (which was a very unacceptable answer IMO).

When/if we have another I will be practicing selfhypnosis from the time I find out. Just in case.

I'm allergic to anesthesia. I went into to have my tonsils out as a child and nearly died.

As a homebirther, I could be that horror story. Going in for a c-section means I'm going in awake. I discussed that possibility with my midwife, with an OB, with an anesthesiologist, and a surgeon. Everyone agreed with hypnosis, but other suggestions were IV pain meds, numbing agents (like dentists use), and only doing any surgery to save my life (which was a very unacceptable answer IMO).

When/if we have another I will be practicing selfhypnosis from the time I find out. Just in case.

Wow, I can't even imagine the situation you're in. My first birth was intended to be a homebirth, but we transferred after 36 hours because my water was broken and it was unsafe. Then the pitocin immediately sent my son's heartrate crashing down and they did an emergency Cesarean. They had to put me under general because there was no time for anything else, but I'm glad to say that I was out like a light.

Almost an hour is fine! Just get going when you start labor.

No offense, but this is completely wrong, and is the sort of advice that kills people.

"Almost an hour" is "fine" if everything goes well with the birth and no emergencies develop. If there is a problem during labor that results in fetal distress, then the amount of time you may need to respond before the neonate is compromised can generally be measured in a small number of minutes. And you can never tell in advance when things will go fine versus when they will not.

I'm a big believer in letting people manage their own medical care and decide what risks they want to take. Someone having all the information and then deciding that they're OK with the nearest NICU being an hour away is fine. But telling someone that that distance doesn't carry serious and real risks is not, because it completely replaces the patient's ability to evaluate the risks with a bare assurance that everything will be ok backed with no actual data.

The statistics surrounding home birth with 'lay' midwives are pretty grim, frankly (the risk of neonatal mortality is reliably higher for births classified as 'low risk' according to the CDC, data sets at http://wonder.cdc.gov/lbd.html). Adding an hour-long transfer in case of problems increases that risk. Anyone is free to take that risk, but assurances without data aren't helpful.

Edited by peterb

I'm pretty sure it was Martha.:(

Yes, it was Martha who had the emergency c-sec with no anesthesia. Her midwife made mistakes and was reluctant to call for an ambulance. The ambulance crew made mistakes, too. In the end, the baby was fine.

My anesthesia began wearing off with ds. It was horrible. I had an epidural in place, it just wasn't as strong on one side as on the other. They pumped up all the meds during the sx and I was beyond completely numb for hours and hours after the sx. It was literally only seconds that I could feel it, but that is a big reason why I hesitate mightily to have any more kids. He was my 4th c-section and they had all been relatively low key, but that was enough to really scare me.

The main reason I will never consider a homebirth is simply because I don't have a fully staffed hospital within an hour. I have a small community hospital without 24/7 anesthesia. If you are transferring from a homebirth, it is an emergency and a c section is necessary. There isn't time to wait 30-40 minutes for an anesthesiologist.

Be aware that most medical helicopters will not fly a woman in active labor, especially in an emergent, high risk situation. They are very small and cramped, and there is no way for the flight crew to get down to your legs to deliver the baby and no place for the baby to be.

I am traveling an hour and ten minutes to the hospital for this baby. I could VBAC but due to the distance are planning a caesarean. I am not willing to

risk complications at home or on the side of the road such as shoulder dystocia, prolapsed. cord, etc. It would be different if I was closer to a fully staffed hospital.

I don't want to birth in the hospital unless I need to, though. I just want a decent transfer option. :(

My lack of decent transfer options (particularly in the winter) are what kept me from homebirthing with my last two. :(

Birth can get complicated at home or in a hospital. If we all let horror stories scare us, we'd never give birth! ;)

Just do your best to let your mind get back to facts when making your decisions. And maybe tell the mw that freak horror stories aren't really helping you in that area!

(Says someone who narrowly escaped a crash-section by nothing but chance.)

:iagree::iagree:

I had a c-sec....emergency...WITH anesthesia and that was bad enough....

Oh, my....no anesthesia, I think I am going to be sick........poor Mamma. I pray their outcome was positive........

Sometimes they can make other accommodations, though. I thought I would have to drive two hours to the closest hospital with full surgical staff for this baby, because I'm a vbac, and I was really, really worried about having to go that far in labor with my family history. But it turns out that the tiny hospital here in town can do vbacs--they just call in the surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc. when I go into labor, and they have to stay there until I give birth. Which I was kind of shocked to hear, honestly, and worried that they would start pushing for interventions to speed things up. But the two midwives I'm seeing have been working here a long time, and are very big into letting things progress naturally and not pushing, and they have assured me that that won't happen at all.

All that to say, maybe you can find out if they can make some accommodations at the nearer hospital-- like if you tell them your situation and arrange to have the mw let them know when you go into labor, so they can let the anesthesiologist know, and then if you do have to go in, have someone in charge of calling to immediately tell them that you are coming and to call the anesthesiologist in to meet you there. (I assume that a very small hospital is more likely to do this than a large one.)

This is I had to do with my VBacs.....well the first one anyway. We had to have an anesthesiologist (OB-gyn was a surgeon) on site during my labor. He was called in, I met him, and he went home after I gave birth ala natural, to dd#2. Insurance did cover it. It still was much cheaper than a c-section.....which I had to point out to them.....repeatedly:D

Lack of a good transfer options is a reason not to consider homebirth. I live in a metro area with a good hospital 15 minutes away. If you have a good midwife who is doing her job monitoring you and the baby, she'll detect the need for transfer in plenty of time.

I would start by interviewing more midwives. Are there any birth centers available to you that are close to the hospital? Are there any natural birth friendly hospitals? Are there any hospital midwives that are very natural birth friendly?

:iagree::iagree:

I had a c-sec....emergency...WITH anesthesia and that was bad enough....

Oh, my....no anesthesia, I think I am going to be sick........poor Mamma. I pray their outcome was positive........

:iagree: my surgical scars are hurting simply reading this.

Lack of a good transfer options is a reason not to consider homebirth. I live in a metro area with a good hospital 15 minutes away. If you have a good midwife who is doing her job monitoring you and the baby, she'll detect the need for transfer in plenty of time.

I would start by interviewing more midwives. Are there any birth centers available to you that are close to the hospital? Are there any natural birth friendly hospitals? Are there any hospital midwives that are very natural birth friendly?

Here's the thing... I live in Wyoming. Most of the things you are mentioning simply aren't an option. At all.

It happened to my old boss' wife. She numbed down one side but not the other and only discovered it when they cut into her. They told her it was too late to stop and just kept going (it was not in Canada or the US), nor did they have the ability to knock her out right away. The "baby" was 5 when I started working for him and he said the screaming haunted his dreams. She, apparently, blacked it out of her mind because she doesn't remember any of it.

How do you know this for sure? The lawsuits associated with OB are unbelievable I seriously doubt a OB Dr. would deliberately do this.

:iagree:

I would get more info on this c-section w/o anesthesia story. It would be an extremely unwise [edited to soften the statement :) ] Ob/Gyn who would make such a decision without a very good reason, putting himself at risk of a law suit. Even - and especially - the worst ones make decisions on a CYA approach.

How close is the hospital that scares you? Is it close enough to make a home birth safe if you need an emergency transfer?

Is there a way to find out a few more things about the Ob/Gyns (or family practitioners who do obstetrics) in the area? Where I live, there is one Ob/Gyn in particular who is called to take home birth transfers because he is friendly to that sort of thing. If you can find a friendly doctor who could be notified when you go into labor, it might make you feel safer.

It is true that some rural hospitals do not keep an anesthesiologist on call all the time. Is that true of your local hospital though? I would double-check.

I would ask, ask, ask until you get answers. If you talk to someone who is not friendly to home births, don't give up. There are kind doctors and hospital staff out there. Scare tactics are not helpful. No one needs to feel any extra fear during delivery.

Edited by mudboots

Here's the thing... I live in Wyoming. Most of the things you are mentioning simply aren't an option. At all.

I personally would hesitate to choose a home birth being that far away from a hospital. Number one, if you have to be transfered during a home birth, it typically is going to be a time-sensitive situation. Number two, you can't even count on flight as an option, since flight can't fly at all times due to wind and other conditions.

(I work at a fire department in a rural area. We have a local hospital without many services about 20 minutes away, and fully serviced hospitals are at least an hour. We have had many situations where we needed to get someone there FAST and were unable due to various circumstances.)

I believe the "Care" is what is missing and has been for a long time.

Our closest Hospital is working on getting an OBGYN to be there 24 hrs. and I was so ignorant I thought they already did.

I had a very traumatic birth there over 8 years ago and wondered where the Dr. or Midwife was while I was told to pull my baby back in every time she started coming out for over 18 minutes.

I still suffer PTSS from that and she has had physical problems, and has learning disabilities.

Last week I went to Triage in L & R and no Dr. was there either. They called one and ordered some tests, told me that I had nothing wrong, and did tell me to go to the ER for my pain... I could barely walk and had severe back pain, lower abdomen and pain shooting down and had been debilitated for over a week. I was scared I was having early labor.

I started taking Olive Leaf extract that day and my back pain went away, then my DH got me some cranberry pills, and after another day, I felt so much better. I had both kidneys and my bladder infected and I drink a lot of water. But the RN was so wicked, and judgemental, and told me that I did not have any infection!

Midwives were banned from this hospital right after my baby was born there and I think there was some conspiracy at that time to get rid of them. I got there 20 minutes after my water broke, and got in the bed and started dozing off, feeling very little to no pain. It was the most wonderful, fairy tale labor!

Until, suddenly after about 1 1/2 hours I felt the urge to push and was suddenly surrounded by nurses just staring at me.... no midwife or Dr. was there and I ended up begging them to deliver my baby... they all said no, and kept telling me to pull her back in.

Now why would I ever want to go back there? I still harbor resentment and ask God to help me forgive, but I am due in May and don't know what to do. I have thought about a C section and how that would go if I did have to have one. It is a scary thought!

I told the RN in triage about this and all she did was blame me for having too many children, and said that the baby probably just came too fast!! She was full of put downs the entire time I was there.

I would love to have a home birth, but dh is not wanting to, and it is illegal for a Certified Midwife to assist.

The best birthing experience was my 2nd child who did come fast, and the RN assisting my OB helped me like a doula, and a midwife combined. She called the OB but he didn't come so she delivered her! In a perfect world, I would have had her everytime, but she ended up leaving and was hated by many OB's. Sad state!

Edited by TGHEALTHYMOM
change