Menu

How many days a week do you homeschool?

SuperDad

How manydays in a typical week do you homeschool? (half-days are light days)  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How manydays in a typical week do you homeschool? (half-days are light days)

• 3 1/2
    • 4 1/2
    • 5 1/2
    • 6 1/2
    • Other (please explain below)

I apologize if there has been a thread on this before - didn't see it in the Search results, if there was one.

So- how many days a week do you "do school"? I'm simply curious. Do you have one day that's all fine arts, or one day devoted to the CM "extras" (nature study, art, etc.)?

Poll to follow.

:bigear:

Disclaimer: I was NOT a classical homeschooler by any stretch of the imagination. I was much more relaxed. :D

For many years, this was our schedule:

We did Official School Stuff two days a week, Monday and Tuesday.

We went to the library every Wednesday.

We did a field trip every Thursday.

We cleaned house on Fridays.

So I guess you could say we did school stuff four days a week (we were always homeschoolers, even on weekends, lol).

For two years we did KONOS on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and everything else on Mondays and Wednesdays (still cleaned house on Fridays).

We homeschool all five week days.

Monday is art and geography day

Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday are history days

Friday we have Shakespeare class in the morning.

Monday through Thursdays we also cover all our core subjects---LA, math, ect

Friday after Shakespeare and a lunch out we complete any work that didn't get done--writing assignments, timeline dates, ect. We also usually fit in a grammar lesson before Shakespeare.

6 weeks spread throughout the year, we have a science week. During that week we only work on science.

We do 4 full days which end up being schoolwork from about 9am-3pm M-Th with lots of breaks and music practice scattered between schoolwork. Fridays dd has violin lessons and orchestra so she generally will finish up any work she didn't get done during the week or do an 1-2 hours studying something she is interested in or we schedule other appointments/go on "field trips."

No, it's not weird to "school" 6-7 days a week for very short time with little ones. I think they do better with daily repetition/practice on things and I did the same though we were very child-led back then and often did things that could be considered learning activities everyday for differing blocks of time.

We do 5 days one week and 4 the next. We do Circle Time 4 days out of 5 both weeks. On Thursdays we don't do Circle Time. We either do lessons and have lunch and art with friends or I have Bible Study and the kids play with their friends (that's what makes 4 days on the second week)

On Mondays we do "project day" where we focus on science experiments or nature study, art projects, and history projects. We also go to the library on Mondays. This is a very full day of school, IMO.

We average four. Generally three at home and one at coop, this week we had three with coop because I had a migrane all week amd was sick sick sick. Some weeks we do 5. We have had a week of six days.

I only count days we do actual curriculum. Yesterday, we did no math or grammar, bit we had dance (PE) and we played with our new microscope and identified nematoads in hay water. And just made slides for fun. So I don't count ot as a school day....but we learned and had fun.

We do five days unless something else is planned for Friday. We don't do all subjects every day. Grammar, spelling, & science are 3 days per week. We usually do something history-related every afternoon. Even though I make a daily schedule, overall I have a goal of what I want to accomplish during a week. I sometimes shuffle things around as needed.

We generally do 4 and a homeschool class on the 5th. I try to schedule a few short things for the afternoon of that 5th day; sometimes it gets done and sometimes not.

I voted for 4 1/2. We do a full school schedule on Mon.-Thurs. On Friday we do "school" in the morning and then clean house after lunch.

I like this schedule. We may try to implement this when our homeschool class ends.

6 weeks spread throughout the year, we have a science week. During that week we only work on science.

How fun! What a great idea!

It depends on the age...

My kindergartener works M-F, but only for 1 - 1.5 hours total, so far less than a half day.

My 8th grader and 5th grader work M - F, though Tuesdays are comparatively lighter days because we have to work around morning ice time. The rest of our ice time is late afternoon/evening. My 5th grader is usually done by noon, while my 8th grader finishes mid-afternoon.

My 11th grader does schoolwork 7 days a week. Weekdays are heavier, and she's on campus two full days a week, but she still studies on the weekends too.

We aim for 5 days a week - Monday to Friday. We often miss a day or have a light day though if we have a library trip or a grocery run or whatever going on. I also am trying out the idea of putting science and art on Saturday and Sunday. This way we can devote one afternoon to each subject.

I voted "other" because it varies so much week-by-week and season to season.

We were schooling a full day Monday, Thursday and every other Friday. (Have outside class every other Friday afternoon.) We did half-day Tuesday and Wednesday. But now our Tuesday afternoon activity is on break until late March, so I have that day back. When it resumes, it will be on Thursday. But we have an activity starting up Monday afternoons, so will now be schooling half-day those days.

Sound crazy?

It really isn't. :lol: I do keep a very detailed schedule and I plan a 'basic' school day for x-number of days a term. If we can do a full day of school, then I just pull from the 'extras' in my planner.

It works. We get everything covered in a timely matter. But we do like our outside activities and I want to take advantage of classes as they are available. On the other hand, I don't want to drive myself crazy planning how many days of school we will do each week. Some weeks we may do three days of school. Others four or five. If we do a weekend field trip, we may have six days of school.

I believe that school and life are intertwined, and there is something to be learned every day.

But for purposes of this poll, and with regards to what I'd put in a portfolio, 5 days. One day a week is reserved for co-op on some weeks, and on non-co-op weeks, it will be for special projects, art, funschooling, etc.

We do 3 days of actual work work. The other 2 days we have OT therapy, appts, crafts, fieldtrips, clean the house, create things, have scouts/girl guides etc. Weekends currently the kids do whatever and I clean and prepare for the week ahead.

I am thinking of changing it to 6 days, but each day only 3 hours instead of the 3 LONG days. That way things can be spread out a little more and not leave me wiped out by the end of the day. But we will see, though we only do 3 days a week right now they are packed days and we are getting through everything.

We're at home 3.5 days a week. One day a week the boys attend an enrichment program, where they get art, science, and other electives, though I don't consider it very academic. We have to leave the house before 1 on another day for gymnastics, piano lessons, and Judo.

Our 3.5 days here at home are very full. Our school days run from 8:30 until at least 3:30, but more often they run until we quit at 5 (we take a 1-1.5 hour break for lunch). We also school pretty much year round. Of course, actual amount of time spent schooling depends on the age of the boy, but I'm teaching that long.

I would much rather have 5 days at home, but the benefits of the activities at this point wins. My older two will try the enrichment program next year, but I might end up pulling them if we can't get our work done.

We do five full days per week. We don't do co-op or have outside activities during school time. We DO read alot, including read alouds. We even read on weekends, but I didn't count that! :D

This is what we do. Usually:D

Sometimes we school 4 days and have an unschool day or 2. No matter what day itnis we have a no screen time between wake up and 4 pm.

Faithe

I voted 4 1/2, though I think it's really more like 3 full days, 2 half days and outside dance, theater, and band classes. Basically, M, Tu and TH are full days. We do a little bit on W morning followed by dance classes for both and voice for DD. Fridays are a half day but DD has band in the afternoons. And, any work that isn't finished during the week gets done on Saturday morning, though that doesn't happen often. I really have no idea what all that adds up to but somehow we get through it. :lol:

We recently switched to a year round school schedule.

Monday is our co-op day. No school for us. co-op meets from 12:30pm to 4:30pm.

Tuesday-Friday are full days.

We school 3 weeks on, 1 week off year round. We actually have 40 weeks in the school year, so we are gaining a little bit every year.

Anything designed to do 5 days gets squished into 4, and weekly lessons not designated into a number of days are simply completed in 4 days.

So far it's working great!

OK, my turn! Last week I tweaked our yearly schedule, so now I'm making it "official" by posting it for all the Hive to see. :001_smile: For us, "school" kind of spills into everything, so it's never really clearly defined what's school time and what's not school time. But for scheduling- we do school six days a week. One day is a co-op day and one day is a "specials" day, but those are part of school. When non-homeschoolers (and unschoolers) hear that I homeschool six days a week, they act like I'm some kind of child abuser. Um, NO! Thanks to this schedule, each of our individual days are lighter, and we are mostly able to finish school in the morning, giving us gloriously free afternoons. This article sums it up nicely.

We school year-round on a 12-week-trimester schedule. We take a one-week break mid-trimester and a two-week break between each trimester. I also schedule in an extra three weeks of break time to be used as wanted/needed (such as for taking a spontaneous road trip to Florida... which we've done :001_smile:). This means that we have 12 weeks of break in a year and 40 weeks of school. So, we get a bit ahead each year, which is always nice. We don't take any kind of longer break to signify the end of one "school year" and the start of another.

Edited by SuperDad

OK, my turn! Last week I tweaked our yearly schedule, so now I'm making it "official" by posting it for all the Hive to see. :001_smile: For us, "school" kind of spills into everything, so it's never really clearly defined what's school time and what's not school time. But for scheduling- we do school six days a week. One day is a co-op day and one day is a "specials" day, but those are part of school. When non-homeschoolers (and unschoolers) hear that I homeschool six days a week, they act like I'm some kind of child abuser. Um, NO! Thanks to this schedule, each of our individual days are lighter, and we are mostly able to finish school in the morning, giving us gloriously free afternoons. This article sums it up nicely.

We school year-round on a 12-week-trimester schedule. We take a one-week break mid-trimester and a two-week break between each trimester. I also schedule in an extra three weeks of break time to be used as wanted/needed. This means that we have 12 weeks of break in a year and 40 weeks of school. So, we get a bit ahead each year, which is always nice. We don't take any kind of longer break to signify the end of one "school year" and the start of another.

Nothing crazy about 6 days a week if it works for you. We've spent many years having lessons nearly year 'round. This gave us time for unconventional breaks to travel or visit family or pursue other interests.

We generally do five days. Occasionally we'll have a light day or do a 4 day week. We pretty much spread things out... Reading, Math, Language Arts every day; everything else 2-3 days per week however it fits!!

We also do this. We try to get all the "everything else" done by Thursday so I can do lesson plans on Friday afternoons.

Blessings,

Laura

We try to do 5 days a week ... but Wednesday is a "light day" with only Nature Study, Artist Study, Bible and science/science project as the main things we do. I have all of the subjects/paper/seat work laid out for the week in a folder for each child and we will get through it all or the majority of it by the end of the week unless we are dealing with illness, etc.

I voted 4, but it's a couple of partial days.

1 day (it's co-op day, which is supplemental, so I don't really count most of it) -- we do math challenge problems & spelling.

3 days -- full days

1 day -- 3 R's only with art or music thrown in

My littlest will often choose to do math or a reading lesson on the weekends. My 4th grader would be appalled if she had to do that!

I voted 5&1/2. Our schedule just changed as we've dropped some outside activites, but we school 6 days a week in the following manner:

Monday and Wednesday- breakfast basket (read aloud, grammar, geography, etc.) and seat work

Tuesday- breakfast basket, school on the go/library, homeschool group, math lab & art

Thursday- breakfast basket, seat work, yoga class, and field trip

Friday- breakfast basket, science, school on the go/speech therapy, errands/car schooling

Saturday- breakfast basket, history, family time

Some weeks end up a little lighter than others, and during the summer we have four days of seat work instead of three.......