Menu

Fresh broccoli?

I consider myself to be a fairly good cook, so I'm embarrassed to ask this, but here goes... How do you cook broccoli? When I steam it, it is always either mushy or tough - I can't seem to find the middle ground. I want to cook it without sauce, cheese or anything that would make it unhealthy. Any tips? I'd like it to be a tiny bit more tender than the broccoli in chinese takeout.

Thanks. :D

In about half a cup of lightly salted water in a pot on the stove. Broccoli cooks quickly. I usually do it during the last 5 minutes of cooking. You have to watch it. It can go from bright green and tasty to mush in a matter of moments.

:iagree:

We use a metal vegetable steamer so that the broccoli is up out of the water, and that helps, too.

One of two ways: 1) Boil water. Submerge broccoli until it turns bright green. Remove and serve. It is still firm, but hot and a really pretty color. Doesn't stay in long enough to lose many nutrients. 2) Place in bowl in microwave with a small bit of water in the bottom of the bowl. Nuke it long enough to turn bright green. Serve.

I imagine there are better ways to serve it. Sometimes I drizzle it with a little sesame oil and and sprinkle it with sesame seeds, but usually I let it be on its own. I really love the taste and texture of blanched brocs, so the less I do to it, the better as far as I am concerned.

In about half a cup of lightly salted water in a pot on the stove. Broccoli cooks quickly. I usually do it during the last 5 minutes of cooking. You have to watch it. It can go from bright green and tasty to mush in a matter of moments.

:iagree: Plus plunge in cold water as soon as it's cooked.

OTOH, dh prefers it cooked in a steamer basket. Maybe that's because he hates it when I dump the hot veggies in cold water, and I don't do that with the stuff in the steamer.

I learned that in order to get it right, as soon as it starts to steam, I turn off the burner (electric). I think it takes about 10 minutes from the time I turn the burner on, until I turn it off. Then I let it sit for about 5 minutes. We also like to roast it. Brush or drizzle some olive oil over it, salt and pop it in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes (I don't actually know how long I cook it- I pull it out when it starts to brown).

I like my broccoli medium--neither mushy nor crunchy. This is how I cook it for my family. I put a whole head of broccoli (minus the stalks and cut into bite-sized pieces), into a pot with a little less than 1/2 inch of water in the bottom. This I will cook on high until the water boils, then turn it down to medium for about three more minutes. After that I drain it, throw in a couple of ice cubes, re-cover it and return it to the stove, though with the burner off. The ice lets the broccoli keep its green color, but also returning it to the still warm stove allows it to cook a little longer as it cools, so that it is not crisp. After the ice has nearly melted I will re-drain, then sprinkle with a little sea salt. Viola--perfect broccoli.

I am so not a cook, but broccoli is one thing that I have figured out, at least the way my family likes it.

Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to remove some of the fiberous outer layer of the stalk. This way the stalk and the flowerlet will cook at the same rate ( i.e. both will steam up tender at the same time).

If you don't remove some of the fiber layer from the stalk by the time it is has cooked long enough to be tender the floret will be mushy.

Try removing the stringy outer layer of the stalk.

Bill

We use a metal vegetable steamer so that the broccoli is up out of the water, and that helps, too.

This is what I do too.

Another way I cook it is to stir fry for about a minute in a little oil in the wok. Then I add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup water, put a lid on, and let it steam for 3 minutes.

Tip: Use a vegetable peeler to remove some of the fiberous outer layer of the stalk. This way the stalk and the flowerlet will cook at the same rate ( i.e. both will steam up tender at the same time).

If you don't remove some of the fiber layer from the stalk by the time it is has cooked long enough to be tender the floret will be mushy.

Try removing the stringy outer layer of the stalk.

Bill

My stalks never make it into the pot. The kids steal it all and eat it raw.

I agree with this advice in theory though. :lol:

I usually roast it, salted and quickly tossed in olive oil, in a 450 degree oven. It's not as pretty, but tastes great. If you'd like something a bit different, slice off the tiny buds (save the rest for soup), saute briefly, throw in some cooked pasta, toss and serve with parmesan.

We love it roasted.

Cut the florets off leaving a bit of the stalk and then cut into bite-sized pieces. Toss on a cookie sheet with a bit of EVOO, sea salt and lemon pepper. Roast at 425 for a few minutes until just beginning to look roasted on the edges. I reach in and give the pan a shake after about 4 minutes or so in order to toast the edges evenly. Sometimes I omit the lemon pepper and sprinkle it with a bit of freshly ground parmesan right at the end, then put it back in for a sec. Sometimes I roast it with some sliced garlic and pine nuts. All depends on what I'm serving with it and what we feel like eating.

astrid

I use my rice cooker to steam broccoli. Put it in the steamer basket, add a cup of water, and set it for 8 minutes. It takes a little longer because the countdown doesn't start until the water is up to temp, but it comes out perfect every time.

Now steaming veggies and rice at the same time has never worked for me. It supposedly works but I've never been successful.

I learned that in order to get it right, as soon as it starts to steam, I turn off the burner (electric). I think it takes about 10 minutes from the time I turn the burner on, until I turn it off. Then I let it sit for about 5 minutes. We also like to roast it. Brush or drizzle some olive oil over it, salt and pop it in the oven at 425 for about 15 minutes (I don't actually know how long I cook it- I pull it out when it starts to brown).

Yes on both ways. My family, especially dh, LOVES it roasted. I put it in a gallon zip lock pour in some olive oil, chopped garlic and salt and mix it well before placing it evenly in my stone baker. 425 for 15-25 minutes depending on how browned you like it.

I usually roast it, salted and quickly tossed in olive oil, in a 450 degree oven. It's not as pretty, but tastes great. If you'd like something a bit different, slice off the tiny buds (save the rest for soup), saute briefly, throw in some cooked pasta, toss and serve with parmesan.

:iagree: This is the best! I will squeeze a lemon on it after I pull it out of the oven and often toss with some red pepper flakes. So, so, so good. I don't like broccoli any other way.:tongue_smilie:

When you steam it you have to watch it. I have a rice cooker/steamer that I use that has a glass lid. I put the water and brocoli in the same time, turn it on. Then I watch it, when it's all dark green with no dry looking spots it's perfect, when you can smell it it's overdone.

I leave it until everything else is about 10 minutes from being done. I put enough water to cover the broccoli only half way, then I turn the heat to high. As SOON as it starts getting bright green, I strain it. I HATE mushy broccoli though, so this is on the firm side.

My mom had an exchange student from Japan once. The girl was watching my mom throw away the broccoli stems and said, "Oooooh! Wasteful, wasteful!" Since then I've learned that the stems are full of vitamins and, really, taste just fine. So, I try to cook most everything.

I had a little butter and sometimes some parm cheese.

My husband adds salt, but he adds salt to everything.

Yes on both ways. My family, especially dh, LOVES it roasted. I put it in a gallon zip lock pour in some olive oil, chopped garlic and salt and mix it well before placing it evenly in my stone baker. 425 for 15-25 minutes depending on how browned you like it.

:iagree: This is how we like it too. My son says "Mom, the broccoli tastes like meat!" I take that to mean he really really likes it. :tongue_smilie:

I cut the florets off a head of broccoli, without leaving much stem on. Each piece should be no larger than 1 1/2 inches. I sautee in about 2 tbs olive oil for 6-7 minutes until it starts to brown-- then I add 1/2 cup veggie broth and cook, covered, about 3 more minutes. Salt and pepper as needed. You can cook it longer in the "broth" stage if you like it tender.

We use vegbase "better than bouillon" from the grocery store-- for broccoli purposes I halve the ratio of vegbase to water, so about 1 tsp per 1/2 cup water.

I only need about 10 minutes or less to steam broccoli (that includes time for the steamer to heat!). Then even leaving the lid on the dish to keep it warm is a no-no as if the heat stays trapped the stuff keeps cooking!

I love to chop it up once cooked and eat it plain, or mixed with brown rice. I am a broccoli kick at present.

Then even leaving the lid on the dish to keep it warm is a no-no as if the heat stays trapped the stuff keeps cooking!

:iagree:It needs to be drained right away, or the hot water (and steam if there's a lid) will turn it to mush.

I don't know if this has already been said. But I put kosher salt, pepper, and olive oil on mine.

I skip the pepper, but use olive oil and coarse salt. I love broccoli though, and can eat it plain too.

This is what I do, and now I can't eat it any other way. It's delicious.

We've been roasting it a lot in recent months. A really nice change. DD in particular LOOOVES it this way.

I normally saute mine on the stovetop until it's the consistency I want. DH just brought a bunch in from the garden yesterday and I think I'm going to roast it tonight. I love roasted asparagus, so why not broccoli?

Stirfried with garlic

Roasted with garlic and a little oil and lemon. A tiny shaving of fresh parmesan is excellent and not unhealthful.

Broccoli tastes best with the caramelization caused by roasting or stirfrying. I love broccoli. Love it. We eating it several times a week. But you could not pay me to eat it plain boiled or steamed.