Menu

Hey bakers! What did you make this week?

Nothing exciting - pizza crust, bread, pumpkin muffins, homemade English muffins, and a cinnamon bun thing off of pinterest that involved canned biscuits - and of course that is what the kids are begging me to make again.

do chocolate covered strawberries count? they sure are time consuming

Blueberry coffee cake, because the berry-hating husband was traveling and we take our fruity opportunities when we can.

Oh, and semolina pita bread to go with lamb meatballs. Not too shabby, although I think the high baking temperature did bad things to my oven; it's acting all weird now.

We seem to have a lot of "What's for dinner?" threads but I'd love to know what's in the oven ;).

This week I made challah, corn muffins with dried cherries, oatmeal cookies with raisins (shipped out for Valentine gifts), and a blueberry pie.

How about you?

The best brownies ever (I finally learned what makes really good brownies!), a triple batch of chocolate-chip cookies, and four dozen garlic whole-wheat rolls. I was on a roll this week.

I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins earlier in the week for my husband's breakfast. Today I made Honey Wheat Bread and Asiago cheese bread (my sister couldn't think of a single thing she wanted for Christmas and so she asked to suscribe to the "bread a month" club and today she was stopping by for her monthly pickup). Tomorrow I will make Mint Chocolate Chip cookies and Monster cookies for a bake sale at church next week.

While not baked, I made peanut butter chocolate chip cookie dough truffles a couple of days ago.

I'm in the process of making a s'mores cake for tomorrow. And I have a couple of things I'll make tomorrow as well.

I had thought of making some sort of truffle for Valentine's Day to mail to my college son but did not get it together. He'll like his oatmeal cookies.

Anyone have a good recipe for bourbon truffles??

Bread + cinnamon rolls. I made Farm Journal's basic bread and Julia Child's white bread, both into one loaf and one batch of cinnamon rolls, and tonight I made another round of dough from Edna Staebler into cinnamon rolls. I'm trying to decide which I like best and whether using an egg or milk make the dough better or not!, and helped my kid make sugar cookies from Baking Unplugged.

Ooh, I love this thread! Thank you. My what's for dinners always look lame next to y'all's, but I got some baking chops.

Still, nothing too crazy this week... peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, corn muffins, carrot muffins, peanut butter waffles and... I guess that was it.

Ooh, I love this thread! Thank you. My what's for dinners always look lame next to y'all's, but I got some baking chops.

Still, nothing too crazy this week... peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, corn muffins, carrot muffins, peanut butter waffles and... I guess that was it.

I love to bake too and thought that a thread on the subject might be inspirational.

Hmmm...should I aim for the weekly baker's roundup?

:crying:WAH!!! I have a wheat allergy and this is a frustrating thread for me. But I will take it in stride. I've got my big-girl panties on.

I made gluten-free brownies last night, iced with pink icing, with strawberries arranged on top in a heart. It was for today's hs group Valentine's Day skating party. So very good! My kids request it for every potluck.

:crying:WAH!!! I have a wheat allergy and this is a frustrating thread for me. But I will take it in stride. I've got my big-girl panties on.

I made gluten-free brownies last night, iced with pink icing, with strawberries arranged on top in a heart. It was for today's hs group Valentine's Day skating party. So very good! My kids request it for every potluck.

I found homemade Three Musketeer Bars that are gluten/wheat free.

And these cookies are quite yummy.

Key Lime Parfait (27 serv.)

Sweetheart Petit Four Cakes: Delicate white cake filled with vanilla buttercream and robed with white chocolate ganache (45 serv.)

Flourless Chocolate Cakes (4 @ 12 serv. ea.)

Creme brulee (28 serv.)

Raspberry plate sauce (1 qt.)

4-Layer Lemon cake filled with homemade lemon curd and iced with lemon buttercream (16 serv.)

Fudge brownies to be served with vanilla bean ice cream and homemade hot fudge (36 serv.)

Pineapple upside-down cake (15 serv.)

Old-Fashioned Pineapple Cake with cream cheese icing (24 serv.)

Biscuits (and gravy)

Focaccia with garlic and parmesan

In order to finish my week, I still need to make:

2 dozen red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing

24 chocolate fudge petit four cakes

24 individual cheesecakes

1/2 qt. red raspberry sauce

One more dessert for appx. 24 serv. that I haven't decided upon yet. :001_huh:

ETA: I think I've decided on orange panna cotta with red berries and freshly whipped cream ('cause it's so easy, and I'm ready to be *out* of my kitchen!)

Ouch.

Oops! :D

Do share the secret and recipe!

Regards,

Kareni

It's probably not a secret to anyone else, but it was a mystery to me for years! I stopped using eggs in baked goods years ago, due to allergies. When the egg allergy went away, I still kept baking eggless goods, because it saved money for us. But a few months ago, I finally got sick of the crumbly "brownies" that I'd made for years, and investigated on the internet. I discovered that eggs and *butter* (not oil as I'd been using, too) were the key. I realized that the egg structure in the batter is what held the brownies together, and I'm not sure what butter does as opposed to oil (maybe it hardens as the brownies cool, whereas the oil just fries or stays liquidy? I'm not sure...anyone with a chemical or physical explanation for me out there??). Here is the recipe I came up with, based on my research (it's for a 9 x 13 inch pan):

1 c. melted butter (no, I don't know if margarine will work - I kind of doubt it)

2 c. sugar

4 eggs

2 t. vanilla

1/2 c. cocoa

1 - 1 1/2 c. flour

1/4 t. salt

1/4 t. baking powder

Mix it all up in a bowl. Spread batter in a pan. Bake at 350 F for 30-45 minutes til a toothpick comes out mostly clean. (you have to play around with the time yourself)

The best brownies ever (I finally learned what makes really good brownies!), a triple batch of chocolate-chip cookies, and four dozen garlic whole-wheat rolls. I was on a roll this week.

Do tell... what is the secret? I've been looking for the fudgy type brownies with the dreamy frosting that is sold in the supermarket bakery, but I will not pay close to $5 for brownies!

I am a slacker. I only made a loaf of sandwich bread and ONLY because we were out of bread. I need to make more bagels this weekend because the last batch disappeared. I'm putting it off because I want to experiment with non-diastic malt and that involves a trip to a store that I've never gone to.

7yo dd made 3 ingredient peanut butter cookies. :D I loved it because she remembered the recipe and did the whole thing independently, except for taking them out of the oven.

10yo dd made rice krispie treats, but that didn't involve baking. ;)

I used to bake often, and I love reading all of the yummy things you all made.

I am a slacker. I only made a loaf of sandwich bread and ONLY because we were out of bread. I need to make more bagels this weekend because the last batch disappeared. I'm putting it off because I want to experiment with non-diastic malt and that involves a trip to a store that I've never gone to.

Okay...I want to know your recipe. I'm dying trying to find a brand of sandwich bread in the grocery store that doesn't have HFCS or PHO in the ingredients. My problem with making homemade bread to use for sandwiches is that it usually is too crumbly and soft.

So if you don't mind sharing, I need a good sandwich bread :001_smile: