• My highest Math was below Alg. 1
    • My highest math was Alg. I
    • My highest mathwas Geometry
    • My highest math was Alg. II
    • My highest math was Trig
    • My highest math was pre-calc
    • My highest math was Calculus
    • Other (please explain)

I was at a public college prep school so Chem was not optional. I took biology, chemistry, and physics. Senior year you could take any of those as an AP class or for us less advanced students they had dual enrollment anatomy/physiology.

Math went geometry, algebra 2, pre-cal or analytical geometry/trigonometry, and AP calculus or probability and statistics.

It was a good school and I wish I'd taken the time to have taken better advantage of it.

I answered pre-calc for the math, but the class was called introduction to analysis or analytical geometry or something like that.

In Chemistry I was paired with another gifted underachiever who was my exact opposite-his smart mouth and my sealed one. I think the teacher did it on purpose.

Edited by Onceuponatime

I took every upper math, science, language, history, or elective my school offered. Unfortunately, they didn't have advanced physics or chemistry, but I took those in college for fun.

Oh, forgot to say pre-calc. My school didn't offer calculus so I had to wait for college.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor
Left out information

I had one of those mean moms. Not only did she insist I take every advanced math and science our school offered*, but she also forced me to take Latin for two years. She was right, of course, and I aspire to be every bit as mean as she was. :D

*with the exception of Physics. It would have conflicted with another course I really wanted to take and, since I was already taking calculus, she didn't force the issue.

I had one of those mean moms. Not only did she insist I take every advanced math and science our school offered*, but she also forced me to take Latin for two years. She was right, of course, and I aspire to be every bit as mean as she was. :D

Ditto, except I didn't get to stop after 2 years of Latin. :lol: My parents' view was that you take every single opportunity available: no study hall, few electives.

Ditto, except I didn't get to stop after 2 years of Latin. :lol: My parents' view was that you take every single opportunity available: no study hall, few electives.

We only had two years offered, but I ended up being the student aide for both Latin classes my senior year. (Mom said at least I wan't losing ground!) I had worked my backside off for three years and, since there was not really anything non-fluff left except senior English and calculus, which I was taking, she eased up.

However, she did later complain that my private liberal arts university did not offer Latin. I asked her when I would have time between my music courses, my Ed courses, my practice studio time, and my two work study positions? She told me I was a college student, we weren't supposed to believe in sleep. :tongue_smilie: (I *think* she was joking!)

Edited by BLA5

Not a full year of Calculus, but about 1/2 year after finishing up Trigonometry/Analysis.

Science? Can't remember what freshman's year was called, but it was generally learning the scientific menthod and learning how to function in a lab. Sophomore year was Biology. Junior year was Chemistry. Senior year was 2 for me: Physics and Anatomy/Physiology. Both ran the full year.

I went to a Catholic high school. Between the state of PA requirements and the school's, I don't think there were a lot of options to not take math and science through at least junior year back then. :)

I was in a math and science magnet program. I took all the available science courses, including two years of biology, chemistry, and one year of physics in addition to some other sciences. The math classes I took were algebra 1&2, trig, geometry, statistics, pre-calc, calculus, and computer math (which is the equivalent of today's computer science).

I took chemistry at my high school. I took calculus at the community college before I graduated from high school. Calculus wasn't offered at my high school.

ETA: I took physics in high school. I don't remember taking biology. I did high school in 3 years, so I think I swapped biology for a second English class, which was required for graduation.

ETA Again: I did take biology! It was in summer school. I took all my higher math (algebra II - three semesters of calculus) at the community college starting when I was 14. I transferred into college with 17 credits of math. I don't live where I grew up and I'm disappointed that our local community college doesn't allow students that young.

Edited by Veritaserum

I was put in lower math because I was an undiagnosed ADHD child who was bored in low math. I knew the work fine but I made some careless mistakes in elementary math so I was only getting a B. Even though my math test scores on achievement tests were always pretty high. This was in the late 70's and they used to put only the really, really gifted kids in math in Algebra in the eighth grade. Both my older brother (now a computer programmer) and my dh (PhD physicist) got to do this. But me (BA economics, MS and all but dissertation PhD Criminology ((so lots of stats)) wasn't able to do calc in high school). I did do Calculus in college.

In my requirements for high school for my kids, they all have to get through Alg 2. Middle could not get through pre-calc because of a disability but is doing it in college with A+ as she is accommodated. I am hopeful that this last one will be past Calculus in high school if we can get her issues addressed. I have a requirement for Biology, Physics, and Chemistry in high school. Then they can take another science class to make four. Oldest took environmental science. Middle took Earth Science and Marine Science.

Okay, this is going to sound very silly, but I don't remember my math classes being called Algebra, Trig, etc. We just did math and progressed through it. I even just went back and looked at my HS transcripts (yeah, discovered them while looking for documents for our move to AUS) and they are just listed as Mathematics. Now that I tutor advanced math here in the US I realize we went up through Pre-Calc (but high school ends in the 11th grade in Quebec)

I was good in math and science, but I graduated in three years, so I did not have the opportunity to complete the more advanced courses. And in those days, they didn't let kids take stuff early or double up. I did take some more math and science in college, though it wasn't big for my major.

I may not have taken a ton of science/math, but I do remember pretty much everything I studied.

My highest Math was Trig in High School as that was the highest offered at my small school. I did go on to take Trig in College though- I loved Math. I cannot honestly remember on Science - I don't remember Chemistry being offered though- I think I had Bio and Physics.

I took up to pre-calc. I could have taken calculus but opted instead for a new honors class the school offered on more practical matters - calculating interest on a loan and making amortization tables, analyzing statistics (I also took statistics the same year I took precalc), etc. I enjoyed that class much more than I enjoyed watching my friends struggle through calculus.

I did take AP Chem I my junior year. I chose not to continue with AP Chem II. I did not take a science my senior year because it wasn't required.

I took Chemistry and took Physics for a week. Physics just didn't grab my interest so I dropped it.

I took Pre-Calc as my highest math because that was the highest math my school offered. They had just started AP classes my Junior year, but only offered them in Chem and English Lit and Composition. They tried AP history, but only 2 kids signed up so they dropped the offering.

I assume that I did not take Chemistry as I don't remember it at all. I did all the advanced Biology/ life sciences.

Math, I said pre-calc... but that is because we did math all 4 years, but didn't have them designated like that, and I was not in the fast-track math... just the regular. So I will assume we did not get to calc.

I really don't remember! But I can tell you everything about my biology/english & history classes!;)

Are they giving Trigonometry it's own course nowadays? I went up to "Algebra 2/Trig." and it included *some* trig topics, so I didn't know how to vote. I just said Algebra 2.

At our local high school, the Algebra 2 book contains three chapters of trig..the introductory topics. So the class is called Algebra 2, but if they make it to the end of the book (they don't EVER COME CLOSE), they would receive some elementary trig instruction but not enough to make a half credit much less a full credit of trig. However, this is normally done because Algebra 2 as a stand alone class without algebra 1 review and some trig, isn't a full year of new information. So, the first 3 chapters is often algebra 1 review, then the new material, and then a little trig. That's why in our day we just thought of it as Algebra 2.

In my day, trigonometry unless it was honor's math, did not include very many calc topics so it was called "trig". A lot of textbooks cover the whole of trigonometry and some introductory calc so it's called "pre-calc" instead. This would be followed by Calc 1 which would review the introductory material from the previous year and then the whole of Calc 1.

Typical during the 80's for non-science or math college bound students in our area was Alg.1, Geometry, Alg.2, and Trigonometry. Only the really high scoring kids were put in alg. 1 in 8th grade in our district which left room for calculus in the senior year of high school. Our district was NOT high performing by any stretch and fully 50% of the graduating class would have had only alg.1, geometry, and consumer's math or accounting. The next 25% would go through algebra 2. Of the students left, 75% or there about would make it through trig and then a small handful (maybe twelve people) would make it through calculus if it was offered. During my senior year, since only two students signed up for Calc, they chose not to offer it. The sad thing about that was those of us that were placed in alg.1 in 8th grade but then not offered calculus, ended up with a senior year of NO MATH...not exactly a great situation for college bound students, stats wasn't offered, consumer math was considered a remedial math, and accounting was interesting if you wanted to go into banking or business, but those of us interested in physics didn't find anything exciting about it so we filled the hour with an extra elective.

Not the best district in the world for math and science bound students!

Faith

I did not see the chemistry option before I clicked Algebra II. I took math up to Algebra II, but I also took Chemistry 1 & 2 and was lab assistant my Sr. year.

I also took Physics because I had a crush on a guy in there. I was the only 11th grader and my chem teacher knew I had a bit of a crush on this one guy, so she made me his lab partner. I learned my lesson. I wound up doing ALL the work. The guy turned out to be a real pill.:glare:

For science, I took Bio, Chemistry (no AP option), and Physics (no AP option), and there must have been something else. I loved Chem - I tutored my friend in exchange for a used pair of ski boots (I really helped her - now that I think about it, they got a great deal!). I was terrible at labs though, always spilling stuff. I had to fudge the results to make the equations work out.

For math, I took AP calc AB - no BC option, though I wouldn't have had the mental stamina for it anyway. I still hadn't learned how to study at that point in my life. I tested out of a semester worth at college based on the AP, and took some sort of advanced calc at college where once again, I didn't pay attention and didn't learn. What a shame. I managed to slide through with Bs, from what I vaguely recall.