Menu

Talk me down. I did something so stupid.

I had a service guy come out from the phone company last week. He was pretty rude and I was unimpressed with the service but he fixed my issue so I let it pass.

FFWD to today. I have some REALLY sick kids around here. Some guy comes to the door (with ID clipped on his shirt) saying he's following up on my service call last week. How was the service? Did the guy leave trash behind? Was it an issue? Did I have concerns with him?

He went on to say that he follows up on the techs (randomly) and checks to make sure they are doing their jobs properly and well blah blah blah.

Then he asks to come in and look at my electrical/phone panel to make sure the work was done properly.

I told him I had really sick kids but it would be ok if he gave me a sec. I went to make sure everyone was settled for a bit and let him in.

I was pretty distracted when he was here & I showed him the panel. He continued to explain that about their random checks. Then he took pictures of my electrical panel. :001_huh: I questioned him on that but he said it was because X was supposed to have been replaced by the tech but wasn't and he needs to report that.

He wanted to check that the wiring for the internet was fine (as phone guy had been fiddling with all that) and asked to take quick look at the main computer. I showed him b/c it's at the front of our house, not all the way in or anything, although our house is fairly open.

He takes quick look, not poking around or anything. While he was looking at the wiring to computer I told him about the issues I had with the tech (thinking he's maybe following up on a not so legit tech job). He agreed with me and wrote down some notes and said that he was glad I told him as that sort of thing needed to be reported and noted on the file.

Then he writes more notes and leaves.

It wasn't until just before he pulled away that I realized how foolish I was. I didn't get his business card or even remember his name from his ID. I mean the pic on his ID matched his face, but how easy is that to fake? He mentioned he'd been with the company for 8 years and honestly, all I was thinking about was my really sick kids and also how messy my house was (clean laundry in piles, and toys everywhere because my 3yo isn't sick & he's letting the world know ;)).

I went to get his plate while he drove off but it was covered in dirt. Not in a purposeful way, but like a lot of plates do around these parts. It wasn't illegible but combined with the angle I didn't get a good view.

So I start to get this sinking feeling in my stomach so I call the phone company.

I know. I should have called the company before I let him in the house. I'm so stupid and foolish. I feel like an idiot.

Anyways, the company doesn't have it on their schedule or record that anyone was coming out today. :(

So, tell me, other than the obvious that it was a completely moronic thing for me to do... what's the worse than can come of this? The phone guy didn't say I should be contacting the police but he did seem concerned.

It's probably all the lack of sleep for the last 3 days. I made a foolish decision and now I can't stop crying because I feel so stupid.

Someone tell me it's going to be ok. Dh is unavailable for several more hours and I'm just so upset. Ugh. Kiddos need me. :auto:

It's also very possible that I'm also so sleep deprived that this whole thing isn't an issue and I should just :chillpill: :o But then, how come the phone company has no records of anyone coming out. Ugh.

Edited by plain jane

How did he know you had a service call? I mean, if he wasn't legit, how would he have known?

That's why I initially let him in.

But then when the service company has no record of him my mind wandered to horrible places. Mostly because I've had like 2 hours sleep in 3 days. :rolleyes:

He could have been friends with the tech who came last week and was coming back for something? :confused: He could have access to phone company records. I dunno.

Wouldn't the company know where their guy is today? The phone company guy (on the phone) said it was not protocol to be taking pictures. :( Ugh. He shouldn't have done that, but when I asked if I should contact the police, he said not to and they would handle it as he was in the process of filing a report.

Sigh. I don't know. I felt dumb for letting him in. Now I feel dumb for being so worried.

How did he know you had a service call? I mean, if he wasn't legit, how would he have known?

He could be casing the neighborhood and have seen the service truck around.

Anyway I'm sure it'll be alright and I agree call the cops. Also I recommend leaving outside lights on tonight

:grouphug: Deep breath. You are safe and the guy isn't in your house anymore, so that's good.

Nearly every place I've worked has had poor communication between departments. I would say there's a big chance that whomever you spoke to just didn't know about the situation. However, there is nothing wrong with calling the police. They are generally very nice, helpful people and I'm sure speaking to someone will help you feel better about all of this.

But then when the service company has no record of him my mind wandered to horrible places. Mostly because I've had like 2 hours sleep in 3 days. :rolleyes:

He could have been friends with the tech who came last week and was coming back for something? :confused: He could have access to phone company records. I dunno.

Wouldn't the company know where their guy is today? The phone company guy (on the phone) said it was not protocol to be taking pictures. :( Ugh. He shouldn't have done that, but when I asked if I should contact the police, he said not to and they would handle it as he was in the process of filing a report.

Sigh. I don't know. I felt dumb for letting him in. Now I feel dumb for being so worried.

Don't feel dumb. Call the phone company tomorrow again and ask if they DO follow up, and who would have been scheduled for you, if they do. If they don't even do that as a practice, then yeah, call the cops right away. But I'm wondering if you weren't scheduled for that day-but were scheduled (for another day) and he had a few minutes and decided to cross one thing off his list for tomorrow, so to speak.

If something was done wrong, and he needed proof of how the tech did it wrong, then a pict wouldn't be out of the question.

And, if he said he's filing a report (to whom?) and that you shouldn't call the cops (um?) then he's a doofus and you need to contact someone at the company who knows because his first answer should have been YES, that wasn't our guy, we don't do follow up visits.

Edited by justamouse

Was the phone company that you called (to check) a local company, or a corporate #? It very well could have been totally legit-(he did say he was following up on last week's service call) And it could be that the local division of phone company wants to check up on this particular service person, and keep it under the radar. It may be that they have had complaints about him, and just want to follow up w/ out him finding out. I wouldn't be too worried.

They could follow the truck around? Have someone who tips them off?

I might be worried about that he was checking to see if you have an alarm system and/or how its wired. When we were in Hawaii a guy came to my door "doing a survey" on security systems. I told him I was calling the police. Turned out that there was a theft ring using that as a method to determine which houses might be easy prey.

OK, the guy didn't hurt anyone and he didn't steal anything. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and he knew about the guy from last week. He was already in your house and knew your dh wasn't home. If he was a complete lunatic, you wouldn't be here to post about him, because he had every opportunity to harm you and your kids -- and he didn't do anything weird, creepy, or unusual. These are good signs.

If he is some sort of supervisor, there is a definite possibility that the phone rep wouldn't have known he was coming to your house. He might really do random checks, especially if there have been complaints about your service guy. He might be compiling evidence to fire him.

Can you describe the guy pretty clearly? Can you call and see if any of the service supervisors fit his description?

I would be just as paranoid as you are if it had happened to me, but in this case, I'll bet the guy is going to turn out to be completely legit.

I'm really sorry you're scared, though. :grouphug:

They could follow the truck around? Have someone who tips them off?

I might be worried about that he was checking to see if you have an alarm system and/or how its wired. When we were in Hawaii a guy came to my door "doing a survey" on security systems. I told him I was calling the police. Turned out that there was a theft ring using that as a method to determine which houses might be easy prey.

I wasn't saying that he couldn't be lying.

I am not communicating well today, I get that.

:grouphug: Deep breath. You are safe and the guy isn't in your house anymore, so that's good.

Nearly every place I've worked has had poor communication between departments. I would say there's a big chance that whomever you spoke to just didn't know about the situation. However, there is nothing wrong with calling the police. They are generally very nice, helpful people and I'm sure speaking to someone will help you feel better about all of this.

:iagree:

OK, the guy didn't hurt anyone and he didn't steal anything. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and he knew about the guy from last week. He was already in your house and knew your dh wasn't home. If he was a complete lunatic, you wouldn't be here to post about him, because he had every opportunity to harm you and your kids -- and he didn't do anything weird, creepy, or unusual. These are good signs.

If he is some sort of supervisor, there is a definite possibility that the phone rep wouldn't have known he was coming to your house. He might really do random checks, especially if there have been complaints about your service guy. He might be compiling evidence to fire him.

Can you describe the guy pretty clearly? Can you call and see if any of the service supervisors fit his description?

I would be just as paranoid as you are if it had happened to me, but in this case, I'll bet the guy is going to turn out to be completely legit.

I'm really sorry you're scared, though. :grouphug:

:iagree:

My money is on the guys was legit and the campany person you talked to didn't know what they were doing. Highly probable.

:iagree: :grouphug:

File your own report. How can they file a report for a guy who doesn't work for them.

Keep your doors locked during the day. And obviously at night. Make sure your vehicles are locked while in the driveway. Call the police on the non-emergency number and let them know what happened. They will, hopefully, do a few drive bys over the next few days of your neighborhood.

If you have a security system, call the company and tell them about the incident. They may be able to do something helpful.

Try not to follow any patterns of leaving and coming home. If your dh can come home during the day have him come at various times. If your kids have lessons of some type see if you can get a friend to help out with drop off and pick up so that it is difficult to pin down how often and how long you are away.

I would call the police, personally. Just recently we had warnings from the police in our area because people were coming to the door pretending to be service men for our local phone/internet company and were actually casing houses and coming back to rob them later. They would get in on the pretext of "checking the wiring".

I would call and at least let the cops know what was up, it's possible they're already dealing with other cases.

File your own report. How can they file a report for a guy who doesn't work for them.

Company report, not police report.

Ugh. I'm just sick about this.

Plus I feel so stupid having to call the police. Geez. I'm going to be the crazed foolish woman who let a strange man in her house. :glare:

Duh. Seems so obvious not to do, doesn't it?

I would be inclined to call the police and the phone company again. I would ask to speak to a supervisor at the phone company as well.

Also, are you sure he did not see any billing accounts on your computer or other identifying data? I would want to put fraud alerts on your credit bureau accounts and possibly freeze your credit as well. I would want to lock down your computer to the max as well. I would also secure your house as much as possible.

Hopefully it was nothing but I would take care just in case. You could also put something like an ADT sign and stickers on the outside of yourself if you do not have a security system. They can be found on ebay.

:grouphug:

Plus I feel so stupid having to call the police. Geez. I'm going to be the crazed foolish woman who let a strange man in her house. :glare:

It is not stupid or crazy.:grouphug: Calling the police will at least alert them to a suspicious man and possibly apprehend him if he is indeed a crook.

My son-in-law is a supervisor with a cable company. One of his duties is to randomly check up on the techs. His office only knows that he is out in the field. He doesn't fill them in on which jobs he is out on.

Here's hoping it was all legit and you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I would be inclined to call the police and the phone company again. I would ask to speak to a supervisor at the phone company as well.

Also, are you sure he did not see any billing accounts on your computer or other identifying data? I would want to put fraud alerts on your credit bureau accounts and possibly freeze your credit as well. I would want to lock down your computer to the max as well. I would also secure your house as much as possible.

Hopefully it was nothing but I would take care just in case. You could also put something like an ADT sign and stickers on the outside of yourself if you do not have a security system. They can be found on ebay.

:grouphug:

Computer was not turned on. he would not have seen any identifying information anywhere, save for some phone numbers on my phone panel, but they are not my current phone numbers.

I had no paperwork lying around anywhere that he was.

I really didn't get a spooky vibe from this guy. I don't know if I'm over reacting because of lack of sleep or if I totally under-reacted in the first place.

Y'all are stressing me out, but it's good to be cautious, which is why I posted in the first place.

I wasn't saying that he couldn't be lying.

I am not communicating well today, I get that.

Oh, I know, I was just offering possible answers to the question, which I think was a good one.

No, honestly. I probably would have done the same thing in this case.

Call the phone company back and ask if the EVER do that. Speak to a manager. Someone should know this.

:iagree: This might be common practice.

:grouphug: You were distracted with sick kiddos. That is your excuse we all have days like that.

Call the police.

Either it was legit and poor communication or your house was being cased for a robbery.

We had a few burglaries where were live recently. The plumber would tip off his friends to houses. Remote in the country houses where there is little traffic. Perfect to go in and steal at their leisure. Large TV's, nice electronics and guns were their targets.

I would make sure you have a detail listing of your stuff, perhaps even with video of it, reading all the serial numbers ect. Also you can engrave your ssn or other number on all your items so if they are stolen if they are recovered, you can get your items back.

You're going to be the smart woman who realized a bit late that something was fishy.

The police department should have a non-emergency number. You may have to explain what happened a couple of times to different officers. Ask if the patrols in your area could be notified that this happened so they can be alert to the possibility. Describe the vehicle as much as you can.

If you are on ok terms with your neighbors, let them know about it. Tell them that you don't have any repair work scheduled at the moment and aren't in the process of moving, so if they see anything suspicious (like people taking things from your house), they can call the police.

You're safe and you're smart.

I once saw some kids who were acting really strangely in a store. It wasn't until hours later that I realized they had just shoplifted something from the store next door and were in the process of getting the item out of the packaging. I didn't stop a theft, but I was able to let the store detective know about it so he could check the store video footage. Late realization is better than never.

If it is any consolation, the phone company here sends out subcontractors. The corporate office would have no idea if someone was coming out that day to check behind the first tech, because the tech (and the guy checking behind him) work for the subcontractor.

Maybe that is all it is.:grouphug:

My son-in-law is a supervisor with a cable company. One of his duties is to randomly check up on the techs. His office only knows that he is out in the field. He doesn't fill them in on which jobs he is out on.

Here's hoping it was all legit and you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

My step-father has worked in and managed every kind of home installation from telephone to satellite to cable. His companies also do this kind of thing.

It doesn't mean the particular individual was necessarily telling the truth, but it really is something that these companies do. And hearing that someone was supposed to actually replace a specific piece of wiring or equipment and didn't also sounds about par for the course. Usually the work is done by a company under contract with the major name (Something-tech working for Dish Network, for example) and yes, the parent company doesn't always have the details.

I wouldn't be embarrassed to call the police if you are worried, and I would see if you can get more information from the company tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing, but at least you can take steps to prevent anything from occurring if it wasn't a routine follow-up.

But then, how come the phone company has no records of anyone coming out.

If you lived in Australia I would tell you not to be worried about that -that is par for the course around here with the telephone company - nobody knows or keeps records of anything - every day you call them you will get a different answer to the same question :glare:

I would call the police - ask them if they have heard of a similar thing happening to anyone else and it turning out badly -they would usually know if a scammer was about.

It's very likely I would have done the same thing if in your circumstances.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh Jane! My heart goes out to you! If it makes you feel better...I don't trust ANYONE, but in your circumstances, I probably would have done the same thing.

What's done is done. Don't keep playing it over in your head. Call the police and file a report before you forget important details. Try to remember him and his vehicle. At least they will have a report on file if you ever see him in the neighborhood again. If you do, call right away if it looks suspicious!

You are not stupid. Not at all. :grouphug:

Do call the police and make a report at least. They also be able to confirm whether this is known scam in your area.

I once debated with dh about calling the police after someone attempted to steal from our property when we were home. Dh confronted them and they sold him some BS about looking for work.

Once we called the police, I did write down the license number, they immediately found the two men and they were fighting with each other about guess what, Robbery!!! One of the men was on parole for robbery, and headed back to jail that night. The local police knew exactly who they were looking for when we called.

Afterward dh was glad I persuaded him to call.

(Jane) I don't think you should be afraid, but I would be vigilant.

Ack! I can see why you did what you did, and also why you are no scared. Lack of sleep certainly doesn't help the situation. Please report back what you find out. Hopefully the phone company was just clueless about someone coming out. Who knows - this might be part of a "secret" thing within the phone company, to improve customer service, in which case maybe the person you spoke to doesn't know it's happening. Just trying to think of other scenarios.

My DH works for Directv and has worked for Dish Network in the past. Both companies DO have quality control technicians (which is what DH does). Directv would have no knowledge of his schedule or what houses he checked because it is done completely randomly depending on where DH is and what day it is.

DH also takes pictures of the work that the technicians did. He has to submit them with his reports to prove that he did actually QC the work.

I agree with others about sub-contractors. I would call the phone company and find out who it was that came by the first time. Then find out if they are an employee of the phone company or a contractor. If contractor find out who and call the contractor and ask them about the visit.

He could have been casing her house from the neighborhood, for all she knows. That's how he could know she had a service call. Or it could be legit, but seems very odd. I've never had anyone show up unannounced, but then I never answer my door anyway for anyone I didn't invite over.

I'd call the police. It will probably be fine, but I would want to alert them, just in case.

Coffeetime: I would call the police, personally. Just recently we had warnings from the police in our area because people were coming to the door pretending to be service men for our local phone/internet company and were actually casing houses and coming back to rob them later. They would get in on the pretext of "checking the wiring".

I just posted before reading the thread, and this was my exact thought.

If it is any consolation, the phone company here sends out subcontractors. The corporate office would have no idea if someone was coming out that day to check behind the first tech, because the tech (and the guy checking behind him) work for the subcontractor.

Maybe that is all it is.:grouphug:

We live in an area where this is done a lot and they make a lot of mistakes like two different people responding to the same call. I have also had people give me a direct number to call back if there is a continuing issue because if I call the general number, I will probably get someone else and they would not necessarily know what was done.

Y'all are stressing me out, but it's good to be cautious, which is why I posted in the first place.

**I bet the people you called looked in the wrong place. Call them back. Explain your need to really know.**

So they guy wasn't looking like he was checking an alarm system, or ask if you had a dog before he came in, or was looking at the doors? (Just to jog your memory).

But then, how come the phone company has no records of anyone coming out. Ugh.

My phone company still doesn't know they're my phone company after three months. They've sent three different people around door to door in our neighborhood since then, asking if I want to switch. :glare: I'd honestly be shocked if they did know who was doing what, when!

I'd file a police report, just to see if this is happening to others in your area. OTOH, I could totally see the guy being legit and the company not knowing what they are talking about. Seriously. The phone company, the cable company, insurance reps- I've dealt with more than one customer service rep who couldn't figure things out. :confused:

I would make sure you have a detail listing of your stuff, perhaps even with video of it, reading all the serial numbers ect. Also you can engrave your ssn or other number on all your items so if they are stolen if they are recovered, you can get your items back.

I think taking pictures is a good idea, but I am :lol: at the thought of putting my SSN on stuff "in case it gets stolen." Surely that's the last thing I want to give a thief?

We had DirecTV out last summer to do some repair work. About a week later, a guy claiming he was following up on the work stopped by. Our work was outside, so that's where he was looking. He also took pictures. Even though he had a badge with his picture, as well as a card, I still don't trust anyone. So, what happened to you was not out of the ordinary, but I don't like that he wanted to come inside.

In the future, just tell people you don't let anyone inside without an appointment.