Menu

Pajama pants in public yah or nay?

Do Pajama pants in public irritate you?  

1. 1. Do Pajama pants in public irritate you?

• yes
    • no
    • other

On the radio station yesterday they were talking about a politician in the US that is trying to put a law in place that prohibits people wearing pj's in public. While I think a law about it is a stupid waste of tax payers money I do hate seeing it and wish people didn't do it. It seems so lazy to me that someone could not take the 3 minutes to change into jeans or sweats before heading out the door. I am not expecting people to shower and dress to the nines to run out and pick up a carton of milk, or a new paint roller while doing a room etc. But really why be so lazy that you can't get out of your pj's to go out. Unless you have no other clothing, or are a small child out with the folks (sometimes my 4 yr old is dressed for bed when we leave gramma's house to drive home and we stop off to pick up milk to have cereal in the am for example) personally I don't think it is appropriate.

So what is everyone else's thoughts? I know it is a trivial thing over all but it is a pet peeve of mine to see it. Does it bother anyone else to see people walking around doing their shopping or to a restaurant etc or am I the only one (besides the overzealous politician) that finds this so irritating?

I don't think it matters if they annoy me or not. Those slogan shirts for girls with the "I'm so cute you should give me whatever I want" attitude annoy me. Trucker hats annoy me. Really pointy heels annoy me. But I don't think any of them should actually be ILLEGAL. Good grief.

I don't think kids should wear pj pants in school, but don't want to see a law against it. If they look like flannel lounge pants & it's in a casual setting (eg after swim practice) it really doesn't bother me one bit. I do like to see some standards at school, such as basic modesty and wearing clothes. I was taken aback one day when a 20 something mother walked down the street of our development to get her mail wearing pj's & a bathrobe, though. It's one thing to take the trash out like that (this was a thick, long bathrobe), but quite another thing to walk down the street. I personally don't like to leave the house in a bathrobe, but have tucked my flannel nightgown into jeans thrown on a jacket to drive my eldes to ps when she missed the bus.

Edited by Karin

They can be annoying, but I must confess, when I was pregger with DS last winter, I wore two different pairs of fleece pj bottoms because they fit and were warm! It wasn't habitual, but if I had to run out for something quick, no I wasn't going to change my big-ol-pregger body into pants. And honestly, they don't necessarily look like pjs - one is tartan plaid the other was plain black.

Yes, it annoys me. It looks to me like something that only the mentally disabled should be able to do without thinking something is amiss.

However, a law against it is also absurd.

Anyway, where I grew up it would have to be a law against pyjama pants not pajama pants;):D. I'd still be opposed to that law.

High heels are stupid & dangerous, but as someone who used to wear them when I was very young, I'm also opposed to making them illegal.

Dh hates it when people wear baseball caps backward, but I kind of like it sometimes.

The pants are harmless, but the law would be obnoxious. Most pants are two pieces of fabric stitched together. Getting bent out of shape over the type of fabric used seems extremely superficial to me. Just cover your bits and it's all good.

:iagree: It's a fashion faux pas, not a fashion felony. I have no clue why someone would wear jammies out of the house, but they cover considerably more flesh than short shorts, and those are perfectly legal (shudder).

Yes they annoy me, but I don't think I've seen them on anyone except teenagers and at least loose pj pants look better than skin tight skinny jeans with converse sneakers that make their feet look 2 sizes larger than they really are.

But a law against them? That's stupid. Where does it stop? What else will they make a law against? Open toed sandals because feet can be nasty? Sleeveless shirts that show armpits when the arm is raised? Skirts above the knee that might be too short to bend over in? I think it's reeks of big brotherism to censor people's clothing. Give an inch and a mile will be taken.

A law against them? Are you kidding me? Do that, and you would have to legislate those baggy pants that some teens wear that show their underwear or any other fashion no-no that irritates somebody. Pretty soon we'll all be dressing in uniform. :D I personally wouldn't wear them in public (unless going to the Amish farm around the corner where nobody will see me). And I chuckle to myself when others do. But a law against it? Please. Don't our politicians have better things to be doing with their time?

Clothing with obscene language and not enough clothing are irritating to me, but pj pants only make you look dumb, not dumb and trashy. IMO, of course. ;)

You haven't been to my town yet ;) we have 1 woman here, I used to watch her kid. She walks to the liquor store every other day in her jammie pants to buy a case of beer (but couldn't afford to pay me :glare: of course) She wears them to work, she wears them grocery shopping. I swear she sleeps in them because they are always rumpled. They are gross and disgusting actually :lol: when it comes to someone like her I can see wanting a bylaw in town that prohibits it. As I said in my OP I think a law about it is a stupid waste of time and money. His claim was pj's today, underwear tomorrow, where does it stop? And all I could think is we have already got people walking around in just their underwear(or clothes small enough to be undies) or with their underwear hanging out. I guess the next step is nudes walking around and that is a whole other issue :001_huh:

I have decided that I am going to be a politician and make laws that make everyone only do what I like. Every thing that irritates me is to be outlawed, everything I enjoy to be the only options :lol: First on the adgenda, jammie pants, thong undies and boxers hangin out over the clothes and shorts/tops that are small enough to be undes, and walking around town in short shorts and a bikini top and most importantly the plumber crack. Put some dang clothes on. I am not talking about ultra conservative clothes or boxers. BUt I really don't want to see your jammies, you underwear, your butt crack or your bOOks. cover the heck up from clavicle to mid thigh at least please. Or I will fine you a huge amount (to buy what I want of course since it is my world now) :lol:

The pants are harmless, but the law would be obnoxious. Most pants are two pieces of fabric stitched together. Getting bent out of shape over the type of fabric used seems extremely superficial to me. Just cover your bits and it's all good.

:iagree: If it's cold my fleecy pjs are great, not that I wear them out, but sheesh, have you visited people of walmart? PJ pants are hardly the enemy.

I don't wear pajama pants, but yoga pants I wear often. I could not care less what other people wear. I can't imagine having the time or the energy to worry about what other people have on when they go out their door. How about a law against deep cleavage revealing tops or rated R mini skirts if we're going to go there? :D On the other hand, how about we all just worry about our own wardrobes?

When I see disheveled people out there, who knows what is going on in their lives? Maybe their husband just left, they have depression, they don't have money for other clothes, they're undergoing cancer treatment, or maybe they just don't have the energy to put into what they wear? I can think of many better uses of our legislator's time and energy than regulating what people wear. Especially when they're fully covered!

As long as people are covering up enough skin, they should be legal.

Would I wear them to my kids' school? No. But I've seen others doing it and I just think "whatever!"

I do wear jammy pants out to get the mail. I really don't think that should be illegal.

Oops! I voted incorrectly. :001_huh: I read the title of the thread and thought "NO, I do not like to see or to wear pajama pants in public", and I voted without reading the actual question with the poll. So please change one of the NO votes to YES. No pajama pants in public; yes, it bothers me to see someone wearing them in public.

Huh. I don't care at all if someone wears pajama pants--if you mean the kind that fit like scrubs, be they flannel or cotton. I'm far more annoyed by the jeans that sag below the bum, shirts that say "princess" and writing of any kind on the back of pants.

And no, I do not wear pajama pants in public. Well, unless you count my yard:). Or forgetting to put the garbage out the day after Christmas until the truck was on the street, and then I was one of 3 women running like mad in pajamas trying to get the can to the street. The driver got a lot more than he bargained for on our street, that's for sure;).

Well this story happens to be from my area. I think it's stupid just like when they outlawed baggy pants. As long as people's parts are covered, who am I to say what they can or can't wear. I don't choose to dress like that, but I'm certainly not going to tell others how to dress. If individual establishments want to have a dress code though, I see no problem with that.

I don't wear pajama pants, but yoga pants I wear often. I could not care less what other people wear. I can't imagine having the time or the energy to worry about what other people have on when they go out their door. How about a law against deep cleavage revealing tops or rated R mini skirts if we're going to go there? :D On the other hand, how about we all just worry about our own wardrobes?

When I see disheveled people out there, who knows what is going on in their lives? Maybe their husband just left, they have depression, they don't have money for other clothes, they're undergoing cancer treatment, or maybe they just don't have the energy to put into what they wear? I can think of many better uses of our legislator's time and energy than regulating what people wear. Especially when they're fully covered!

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: I would have put more, but apparently there is a 9 image limit.

I am disturbed by pajama pants in public. You are part of other peoples' environments, I tell my kids, and you have a responsibility to make the spaces you are in pleasant and uplifting. Being an eyesore is only a trend in a culture that values unkindness.

But I am disturbed even more by a LAW being suggested as a way to deal with it. I'm an anarchocommunist but even I don't think the government should replace your mommy to THAT extent. Freedom of pants!

I don't like to see pj pants in public, but I think it is silly to make a law against it. I think it tends to be younger people (I'll bet if you could segment the poll by age the older members would tend to be more annoyed).

I would never wear them out to a store. But we did get a dog before Christmas and we were still getting used to his pottying schedule. One morning around Christmas I just didn't have time to change into clothes and was very embarrassed when I had to take the dog out at 11:00 am to potty wearing my PJ PANTS and was standing around in the yard as neighbors drove by! I immediate told my DH that I need some sweatpants.

...we have 1 woman here, I used to watch her kid. She walks to the liquor store every other day in her jammie pants to buy a case of beer (but couldn't afford to pay me :glare: of course) She wears them to work, she wears them grocery shopping. I swear she sleeps in them because they are always rumpled. They are gross and disgusting actually :lol: when it comes to someone like her I can see wanting a bylaw in town that prohibits it.

That's a symptom of something seriously wrong in her life, not a crime to be punished, IMHO.

When I see disheveled people out there, who knows what is going on in their lives? Maybe their husband just left, they have depression, they don't have money for other clothes, they're undergoing cancer treatment, or maybe they just don't have the energy to put into what they wear?

How on earth would you define pj pants anyway? A pattern for pj pants is the same as a pattern for scrubs (if made in a woven cotton), or a nice pair of linen elastic waist pants (if made in an expensive linen in a nice spring/summer color), or a pair of loose-fitting yoga pants (if made in a black cotton-lycra), or a pair of suitable-for-the-office pants (if made in a black poly/rayon/lycra blend).

:iagree: Exactly. Usually the only thing that makes them obviously pj pants is the print. How are they really any different than sweat pants, fleece pants, or yoga type pants. I use all 3 of these as pjs. So if your pj pants are solid colored how would any one know?

Edited by jewellsmommy

I am disturbed by pajama pants in public. You are part of other peoples' environments, I tell my kids, and you have a responsibility to make the spaces you are in pleasant and uplifting. Being an eyesore is only a trend in a culture that values unkindness.

But I am disturbed even more by a LAW being suggested as a way to deal with it. I'm an anarchocommunist but even I don't think the government should replace your mommy to THAT extent. Freedom of pants!

Yes, but fashion is an opinion. Dd wears sleep pants/sweat pants everywhere, except to church. Her friends and herself are as motivated by fashion as any normal teen, they just prefer comfortable (imo, wierdly patterned clashing) clothes.

Then, they all love crazy socks, mismatched, with open shoes (crocks, flip flops, and with those icky toe socks sandals).

I wouldn't wear 90% of what they like, but they're still considerate of the sensibilities of others in that they wear clothing that covers their bodies. If people don't like their pattern, color, material choices, well the odds are good they aren't too keen on whatever that person is wearing either.

I don't think the presence of pj pants detracts from my environment nor do I find them unpleasant or depressing :confused:.

How would one fulfill this requirement when everyone has different expectations?

Under this thinking, do women have a responsibility to wear make up and dress trendy everywhere they go. What if I am in sweatpants, a pony tail, and am stopping to buy milk after the gym? Or what if I just did not want to put on jeans and my dress pants are dirty? Will I be disrupting someones uplifting environment?

Hmmm. . .the title of the thread and the actual poll question are misleading as a person would answer yes to one and no to the other.

DD15 wears PJ pants in the winter. She's always been sensitive to clothing fabrics and wears cotton knit dresses 365 days a year (366 days on leap years). She finds the flannel or fleece PJ pants to be warm and comfortable. She loves the bright contrasting patterns.

Interestingly enough, she does NOT wear PJs to bed so she is "getting dressed" when she puts the PJ pants on in the morning. :D

I'm pretty amazed that it bothers so many people or that they find it inappropriate.

Pegasus