Menu

Miscarriage

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry. DD was 4yrs when I miscarried. I was honest and said something like the following: Sometimes the baby stops growing because something was wrong with it. It's very sad, but it's better than the baby growing up and then being very sick and hurting when it's born. I guess pretty much what you try to tell yourself, in this situation :-(

Unfortunately dd also witnessed some very graphic aspects of miscarriage (we were travelling without dh at the time) so she did get to understand how the miscarriage actually happens, but I would not mention that unless specifically asked. If I was, I would be matter of fact about that, too. But I always believe that truth, presented in an age appropriate way is the best approach.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:

I have had 2 m/c and my kids were all old enough to understand that there was a baby and that they died. The first time it was hard. The second time (within 5 months of each other) devestated all of us. We were honest. I cried a lot and they cried too. They had a lot of questions and since we were open from the beginning about it, they felt comfortable asking anything. When I became pregnant with my now 11 month old, my (at the time) youngest child, always just assumed, up unitl we had him that he would die. Made me sad but it was a realistic consequence of them having lived through 2 in their young life. It has made them more understanding and compassionate when they have heard of others m/c.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:

I have had 2 m/c and my kids were all old enough to understand that there was a baby and that they died. The first time it was hard. The second time (within 5 months of each other) devestated all of us. We were honest. I cried a lot and they cried too. They had a lot of questions and since we were open from the beginning about it, they felt comfortable asking anything. When I became pregnant with my now 11 month old, my (at the time) youngest child, always just assumed, up unitl we had him that he would die. Made me sad but it was a realistic consequence of them having lived through 2 in their young life. It has made them more understanding and compassionate when they have heard of others m/c.

One of my closest's friend's ds7 looked at me and said, "Miscarriage sucks!" I thought my friend was going to die, but I really appreciated his brutal honesty. I mean, at 7, he knew that and verbalized it, to me. I mean, really, it does, doesn't it??

One of my closest's friend's ds7 looked at me and said, "Miscarriage sucks!" I thought my friend was going to die, but I really appreciated his brutal honesty. I mean, at 7, he knew that and verbalized it, to me. I mean, really, it does, doesn't it??

It really, really does. :crying: I would have loved that brutal honesty too. I hated that some people (friends) who KNEW just never said anything at all. Gotta love a kid who can get right to the heart of it and well..IMO that was touching what he said.

:grouphug: So sorry. I would just tell them the truth whenever you feel like you can tell them without crying.

I agree with this, but I would also say that it is ok for them to see you cry. They will be morning the loss, as will you, and y'all can all hug and love on each other.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug:

Take care of that migraine, lock yourself up in your room, and ball your eyes out. You can talk to them tomorrow.

It really, really does. :crying: I would have loved that brutal honesty too. I hated that some people (friends) who KNEW just never said anything at all. Gotta love a kid who can get right to the heart of it and well..IMO that was touching what he said.

:iagree:

I hated it when people didn't acknowledge that something happened. I was grieving, and for people to act like nothing happened really hurt. One thing that helped me was A Grief Observed by CS Lewis. Mostly the part where he talked about people not knowing what to say to him, and when people sort of stumbled out condolences it was awkward, but that was much better than those who acted like nothing was happening. He said he felt almost like he hated them for it. That was how I felt, too, and it made me feel not so alone. I knew I shouldn't be, but I was angry. I used to silently scream, "My baby died! How can you act like nothing happened!"

:grouphug:

Praying for you again.

I am so sorry. :( I had an ectopic over the summer and yeah it sucks. It's still hard sometimes. I should've been due next month. It's just not fair that we should have to go through things like this. :grouphug:

I actually like your dad's idea for such young kids but can certainly understand if you don't want to tell them that.

:iagree:

I hated it when people didn't acknowledge that something happened. I was grieving, and for people to act like nothing happened really hurt. One thing that helped me was A Grief Observed by CS Lewis. Mostly the part where he talked about people not knowing what to say to him, and when people sort of stumbled out condolences it was awkward, but that was much better than those who acted like nothing was happening. He said he felt almost like he hated them for it. That was how I felt, too, and it made me feel not so alone. I knew I shouldn't be, but I was angry. I used to silently scream, "My baby died! How can you act like nothing happened!"

Praying for you again.

Yes! This. I always encourage my husband to say something to women who are our friends. Even just something as simple as sorry. It's an acknowledgement. I hate when our friends, husband or wife say nothing. It comes across like they don't care even if they do.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I am SO sorry. It's hard, and I agree nothing is better then hiding and crying, if only Mammas could. :grouphug:

When this happened to us and we had a 4 year old I simply told them both, after I was able to speak about it without crying instantly, I just explained, as best I could, that the baby had died and wouldn't be coming.

It didn't frighten or scare them, but it did make them curious. The child would ask every now and again for all most a year about it. "Was the baby better yet and coming now?" Even five years later he still asks when I'm going to have another baby. It breaks my heart because since that miscarriage we've had nothing but infertility which breaks my heart just about as deeply.

I am trying to pretend that everything is Ok and that I am not devastated. But I basically want to hide and cry.

Please take care of yourself, emotionally & physically. Hide & cry when you need to, and rest, lots of rest. :grouphug:

All I can think of is - "There isn't going to be a baby. I'm sorry you are disappointed." And hug them bunches and bunches because that is what I want to do anyway. But I am not prepared to answer questions.

Maybe tell them with your husband, and let him answer the questions. I also don't think it's a bad thing for them to see your tears (or his). This is a very sad event; grief is, unfortunately, a real part of life.

I have a migraine creeping in and I desperately want to hide under my pillow and bawl.QUOTE]

I will wait until I can speak about it without crying (can't even type about it, I am tears right now, hidden in my room) and then let dh handle the questions.

I am just so sorry for your loss. I'm praying you'll experience healing & peace. Blessings to you & your family. :grouphug:

My kids were the same age, more or less. I just hugged them and said that we were all feeling really sad because the baby in my tummy wasn't going to grow any more. It just wasn't meant to be. I would definitely tell them the truth. They can surely handle it.

The only thing I would add is maybe to say that "we" rather than "you" are disappointed. You are all sharing the same feelings and sadness.

Oh, so sad, and I can so empathize with what you're going through.