Menu

So...what does "discrete" mean in terms of brestfeeding?

I never know if what I am doing is in that category of discreet that so many people talk about. I know that a nursing cover is considered discreet, but what about a woman who just keeps her shirt draped to cover herself? Does that count as "covered", as long as you don't see breast tissue? I'm attaching a photo for clarification. Is this "discreet" or "modest' or "covered"?

edited to fix horrible spelling mistake, but I'm unable to fix it in the title. I blame pregnancy brain. I had a total typo where I left out the letter c the first time, which spell check caught, then I just used spell check's suggestion...wrong suggestion, lol.

post-17065-13535086098493_thumb.jpg

post-17065-13535086098493_thumb.jpg

Edited by ktgrok

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never know if what I am doing is in that category of discrete that so many people talk about. I know that a nursing cover is considered discrete, but what about a woman who just keeps her shirt draped to cover herself? Does that count as "covered", as long as you don't see breast tissue? I'm attaching a photo for clarification. Is this "discrete" or "modest' or "covered"?

I think that's great! Very modest. I honestly have never understood why a woman unbuttons from the top to expose her upper chest while nursing, when lifting the shirt up from the bottom accomplishes the same thing and keeps things covered more. But, hey, that's just me. I understand there might be a reason.

My definition of "discreet breastfeeding": One bOOK out per child. If you're nursing a singleton and have the second volume blowing in the wind, you're doing it wrong. I mean, assuming you're out in public! If not, I don't care how many pages you have flapping around.

Edited by Carrie1234
So, yeah, I had to Google "discrete vs. discreet."

I think the photo is fine. FWIW, I don't think nursing covers are discreet - to me they scream out "baby nursing here!"

Personally i am pretty uncaring about whether people are discreet, though I am myself. the only time i ever raised an eyebrow was a woman nursing in a tight dress with a zipper down the front that meant she pretty much was naked from the waist up. it was about the worst nursing outfit possible.

My definition of "discreet breastfeeding": One bOOK out per child. If you're nursing a singleton and have the second volume blowing in the wind, you're doing it wrong. I mean, assuming you're out in public! If not, I don't care how many pages you have flapping around.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think that's great! Very modest. I honestly have never understood why a woman unbuttons from the top to expose her upper chest while nursing, when lifting the shirt up from the bottom accomplishes the same thing and keeps things covered more. But, hey, that's just me. I understand there might be a reason.

Because they are more self-conscious of their stomach?

I think one reason might be that a modest woman might not want to also expose any side or tummy rolls that she's uncomfortable about baring? (by lifting a shirt rather than another method)

very good point. I try to make sure my arm is blocking my tummy rolls, but that IS and issue. But not one I worry about as far as modesty or offending people, as midrifts are ok in public. I think given my weight now I will be wearing a lot of tanks under my shirts with the next kid, so that my tummy isn't exposed...I can lift one layer and pull down the other or something.

Yes, I think that is. Although can I ask, how do you manage to do that? I've nursed three babies and I can't figure out how to keep so covered up. It's not really an issue as she's nursing less, so I rarely have to do it in public anymore. But I was always making an awkward mess of myself trying to deal with a blanket, then that would get pulled off, etc. *sigh* I could never really get the baby wearing figured out either. But way to go! I'm totally jealous of your skills :D

When nursing my last one, I discovered these "belly bands."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Bella-Vonna-Belly-Band-Maternity-Nursing-Cover-S-M-L-/150409886695?pt=US_CSA_WC_Shirts_Tops&var=&hash=item68c63e4bb6#ht_3665wt_1080

They were great for hiding the tummy rolls. They are shaped like tube tops, and you just wear them around your waist under your shirt so that when your shirt is pulled up a little on the sides and back, people can only see the fabric of the belly bands.

That is discreet to me.

Nursing women are heroes in my book and people ought to get over their hang-ups and support what is the most natural thing in the world.

Bill

:iagree:

I love that here the indigenous families just do whatever and no one bats an eye. I even saw one mama in the grocery store with her arm out the neck of her shirt which basically exposed half of her upper body. Who cares? It's the human body. It's not shameful.

I don't particularly want to walk around with half of my upper body exposed, but I think it's wonderful that here people can. To me, these people are closer to nature and the way God made us. More power to them.

That photo is what I would have done at home or with family and close friends. Out in public, say at a store or shop, I'd have covered us up more with a blanket or scarf. That is just my personal preference.

If I saw someone nursing in that position in public I'd know what was going on but it wouldn't be something I'd think twice about.

I nursed like the lady in the pic. I hate the giant covers personally, and all my kids stop nursing to "talk" to me in the middle or do a gymnastic flip, so I had to give up on being "discreet" and go for maybe "tasteful." Once on a plane, this old (French) guy was staring at me in a very indiscreet way, so I finally erected a barrier against the seat with newspaper.

Nothing nursing-wise bothers me, honestly. I have seen women outside the US who wear dresses, who pop the breast over the top in the middle of the street. I don't see many Americans do this, but then very few dress like that (most American women wear two piece outfits).

I think that is definitely discreet.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is discreet to me.

Nursing women are heroes in my book and people ought to get over their hang-ups and support what is the most natural thing in the world.

Bill

My husband has the same opinion as you. :001_smile:

I think the photo is fine. FWIW, I don't think nursing covers are discreet - to me they scream out "baby nursing here!"

I nursed my babies everywhere like the lady in your picture. No one ever knew and most thought I was just snuggling until they came in for a closer look!

That photo is what I would have done at home or with family and close friends. Out in public, say at a store or shop, I'd have covered us up more with a blanket or scarf. That is just my personal preference.

If I saw someone nursing in that position in public I'd know what was going on but it wouldn't be something I'd think twice about.

In mixed company, I typically excuse myself to go nurse, or I use a blanket. Only 1 of my 4 children have nursed in such a way that I could guarantee that no part of my page would be exposed to the world....especially once they were toddlers. There are bits of me that I'd rather stay private, iykwim.

Yes, that is discrete. I personally have seen many women who were so discrete that only a experienced nurser would know she was nursing. On the other hand, I have seen women that were quite obviously nursing due to fussy baby or what have you and that really doesn't bother me either. I am generally very tolerant of nursing.

I nursed like the lady in the pic. I hate the giant covers personally, and all my kids stop nursing to "talk" to me in the middle or do a gymnastic flip, so I had to give up on being "discreet" and go for maybe "tasteful." Once on a plane, this old (French) guy was staring at me in a very indiscreet way, so I finally erected a barrier against the seat with newspaper.

Nothing nursing-wise bothers me, honestly. I have seen women outside the US who wear dresses, who pop the breast over the top in the middle of the street. I don't see many Americans do this, but then very few dress like that (most American women wear two piece outfits).

Have you ever seen that photo of Hugo Chavez talking to a woman that appeared on the front page of a newspaper in Venezuela? They are standing in a crowd chatting and she has a baby nursing on one arm with her bOOk right out of the op of her tank top and she has the baby's shoes in the other hand.

Mr Chavez doesn't seem to notice, and the caption in the paper said something like "the President talks to a citizen".

I would love to have an attitude more like that here. From what I can tell looking at old photos, it actually used to exist to a degree in America before formula changed people's expectations.

Have you ever seen that photo of Hugo Chavez talking to a woman that appeared on the front page of a newspaper in Venezuela? They are standing in a crowd chatting and she has a baby nursing on one arm with her bOOk right out of the op of her tank top and she has the baby's shoes in the other hand.

Mr Chavez doesn't seem to notice, and the caption in the paper said something like "the President talks to a citizen".

I would love to have an attitude more like that here. From what I can tell looking at old photos, it actually used to exist to a degree in America before formula changed people's expectations.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1280&bih=709&tbm=isch&tbnid=2ViIzfNJ8RdSyM:&imgrefurl=http://able2know.org/topic/79936-6&docid=m0x1wZrxabIczM&imgurl=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b125/DrewDad/A-mother-breast-feeding-her-kid.jpg&w=235&h=300&ei=IssVT6ncHObi0QGSuZzLAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=338&vpy=145&dur=48&hovh=240&hovw=188&tx=91&ty=98&sig=108268131101749288423&page=1&tbnh=171&tbnw=132&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

I think the only person who should get to define discreet is the individual nursing mother.

My kids didn't tolerate being covered and once they were 4-6 months old and older popped off a good bit. I made every attempt to be discreet. I like using nursing tanks to cover my belly. I don't want someone else defining it for me though, iykwim.

IME many people who have issues with BFing in public have issues with BFing period. Even if the woman is covered (which isn't always possible and I don't think it should be "required" as a definition of discretion), some of those people are uncomfortable with the very act, IME. They just don't like thinking about it, and therefore it can be impossible to please them. My MIL is like this. The very act weirds her out, even if nothing is showing.

Throughout history, women have worn fashions where you had to either unbutton or pull your breast out from the top. Look up pictures of nursing mothers from the 1920's through the 1940's. Full breast exposure. There is a well known statue showing an immigrant mother from the late 1800's or early 1900's (could even be earlier), also having to lift her breast from the top of her peasant blouse and jumper. I have some shirts and dresses that I can't wear unless I'm prepared to unbutton or pull from the top...not every shirt is able to be lifted from the top (especially if it's fitted instead of flowing). I was recently at a store and got talking with a mother of a ten month old. The child was at first in a carrier. The mother would have exposed more of her body if she had tried to lift her shirt while the child was in the carrier, so she brought her breast out from the top.

Personally, we need to get over this (I mean a person having a fit over a woman nursing and how much skin we see...not a mother's own personal comfort zone ;) ). However, yes, even I "hide" in the nursery behind a screen to avoid gossip and offending people. Honestly, it should not be that way. As one of the Eritrean ladies said, "if we were in our country, you could just pull it out and feed your baby right there in service." I've just chosen not to make church my battleground. However, I will nurse my baby other places and support others to do so as well. Someone will always be offended, even if you are fully covered with a blanket (something I haven't been able to accomplish with any of my children).

Edited by mommaduck

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think one reason might be that a modest woman might not want to also expose any side or tummy rolls that she's uncomfortable about baring? (by lifting a shirt rather than another method)

I just take a regular man's "wife-beater" tank top in XS and cut slits in it where my booKs are so that I don't have to spend all that extra money on nursing tanks. I wear these under my regular shirts to avoid my belly hanging out. I do use a cover though, but even then sometimes if baby moves unexpectedly, I would still flash stomach and I don't like that.

I think the picture is discreet, however for ME, I always use a cover when out in public or at someone's home.

:iagree: I'm with you!

:lol: :iagree:

Wow! So many of the women in the pictures have some major bOOks!!! :svengo:

Idk, maybe mine would have starved my children... (just kidding)

My mother was small...and she had more milk than some bigger ladies. I actually had the most milk with my first child and I was much smaller then. As the quip goes, "Size doesn't matter" ;)

for dudeling, the first two months were MAJOR productions just to get him to latch. I always had to actually go somewhere I could have privacy. I had to actually see what he was doing, just to be sure he was latching at all, and teach him how to nurse. If I hadn't successfully nursed four children prior, I probably would have put him on a bottle - but he wouldn't take bottles either . . . .

then they reach the stage of ripping everthing away from their face so they can see you.

DISCREET.

Discreet, discreet, discreet.

Thank you.

:lol:

It seems to be contagious. :001_smile:

Although if "discrete" is the opposite of continuous, maybe it could apply to those babies that latch on, pop off, latch on, pop off, latch on, pop off....

Yeah. Try nursing discreetly with one of those.

:tongue_smilie:

IME many people who have issues with BFing in public have issues with BFing period. Even if the woman is covered (which isn't always possible and I don't think it should be "required" as a definition of discretion), some of those people are uncomfortable with the very act, IME. They just don't like thinking about it, and therefore it can be impossible to please them. My MIL is like this. The very act weirds her out, even if nothing is showing.

I disagree completely. (I realize I may be in the minority here, and I am donning my flameproof suit and tinfoil hat as I type.)

I have no problem whatsoever with BFing, but I don't want to see the details when we're sitting around chatting at lunch. Go ahead and feed the baby if you'd like, but cover up as much as you can (not to the extent of suffocating the poor baby, but enough so you're not showing skin.) I'm sure you're a lovely person, but I don't want to see your booKs any more than I want to see your other private parts.

Honestly, I know a few moms who were very militant about their right to BF anywhere and everywhere they felt like it, and I swear they purposely drew attention to themselves just to see if anyone would comment on their booKs hanging out of their shirts.

There's nothing at all shameful about BFing, but there is also something to be said for a general sense of modesty.

For the photo example to be discrete if in public, a shawl or something would be draped over baby and mom's shoulder. At home or a friend's house - plenty discrete.

Can I ask, please...how is that more discreet? If it doesn't change how much skin is showing, what difference does it make? wouldn't that just change how much of the baby's head is showing, not how much of the mom is showing? And if that is the case, what is the point, exactly? People always say, "I'm ok with women nursing in public, as long as they are modest/discreet" followed by how they don't want to see someone's breast. But in this picture the breast is not visible....so is that not the real issue at all? There must be some other reason they want a woman to use some kind of blanket?