Menu

Is this normal or not?

I didn't grow up being invited to all kinds of kids parties (not birthday parties) like christmas, halloween, cookie baking, etc. Where we live this is normal. DD ( 5 yrs) was invited to a cookie baking party. She had to bring a baking pan and apron. So we go and apparently, we were supposed to bring a christmas gift for the child whose mom was having the party:001_huh:. Is that normal now? Seems kinda tacky to me but what do I know.

Keep in mind, we exchanged gifts with the child for christmas earlier in the week.

Thanks

Update- How I found out about the gifts was when I dropped DD off for it and the mom said" Here is the table to put your gift." I asked as I knew nothing about this and she said it was on the back of the invite. Along with a list of suggestions for her DD. I don't remember seeing anything on it and still say it was just tacky.

But it gets better- I go to get DD from the party and she comes out empty handed except for the baking tray. So I asked how was the cookie baking and the mom replies how cute it was for my DD to make cookies and donate them to her. :001_huh:. The mom then says that all the other kids were so moved that they donated their cookies to the her, too. This is group of 3-6 year olds.

After we get home, I asked DD about it. Her reply is why did the mom keep all the kids cookies. She says she wanted to bring them home and was told no they stayed at her house. I did call another mom that I know who kid was there and asked her. She got the same story and her child was upset, too.

So to me it seems that this mom has a nice plate of cookies the kids made her so she doesn't have to make cookies for her family christmas party on Monday. The kicker was the child of the mom was sick-running a 101 fever, chills and runny nose. I found that after I picked up DD.

I don't think DD is going to anymore cookie baking parties there.

Edited by itsheresomewhere

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tacky.

Our community has some parties like that. If I host, I tell them what I'd like them to bring, trying to have extras in case they forgot or didn't have whatever it was. Tuesday, we've got four families over here to work on gingerbread houses so we asked for each family to bring a kit or two, a batch of royal icing (the "glue" that holds it all on), and a tray to take home their creation(s). And, if they have extra candies or sprinkles, that's welcome too.

I do not expect them to bring gifts for me or mine.

The only thing I can think of tackier than expecting you to bring a second gift (to an activity, not a birthday party!!!) is that they did not prevent you from learning that they expected a gift. When someone goofs up and doesn't bring an expected gift, the hostess should do whatever it takes to keep her guest from being embarrassed about that -- so perhaps she should have shuttled the gifts they did receive to a hidden room and only opened them after the guests left. And, if you noticed that others brought gifts or if they were opened in front of you, the hostess should've gushed in front of others, "Tommy already brought Bobby a wonderful watercolor paint set a few days ago. He is simply loving it!"

That isn't the norm around here. We host a cookie/ornament making party every christmas and have never received gifts (and I have never expected it). Other families host easter, halloween, summer fun, etc parties and no gifts are taken to those either.

I don't think it's odd at all for other parents to bring a little gift for the hostess, though I realize it would make you feel awkward if you were the only one who didn't.

I think it's very odd if the hostess said, "Hey, you were supposed to bring me a present."

I think it's less odd if you mentioned it to the other ladies and they said, "Oh yeah, we always bring a present."

It only seems "tacky" to me if the hostess let her demands be known.

It would have caught me off guard. :001_huh: I never think about hostess gifts because I wasn't raised that way. :blush: I probably would have offered to bring something for the cookies, but a gift wouldn't have crossed my mind. Is it possible the gifts the other kids brought were similar in purpose to the gift exchange you and the host had earlier in the week?

That is extremely tacky and rude. And the mom lied to you about the "donated" cookies. That's not cool. I'm not sure that I would care that I had to see her every day, I think I'd have to say something.

I'm sorry that both you and your daughter had to deal with that. :(

I thought about that but I see this woman every day. I am chalking it up to a new lesson in tacky and the odd.

Ugh. I think I'd still send a "polite" email about how the little kids were confused about how they didn't have their cookies and how there must have been some kind of miscommunication. I don't think I could let her off the hook that easily! I mean, it's one thing to be tacky. It's entirely another to defraud families and small children. At the very least, I'd want to see what she had to say about it.

I'm sorry your daughter's disappointed about the cookies :( That's just not right.

Update- How I found out about the gifts was when I dropped DD off for it and the mom said" Here is the table to put your gift." I asked as I knew nothing about this and she said it was on the back of the invite. Along with a list of suggestions for her DD. I don't remember seeing anything on it and still say it was just tacky.

But it gets better- I go to get DD from the party and she comes out empty handed except for the baking tray. So I asked how was the cookie baking and the mom replies how cute it was for my DD to make cookies and donate them to her. :001_huh:. The mom then says that all the other kids were so moved that they donated their cookies to the her, too. This is group of 3-6 year olds.

After we get home, I asked DD about it. Her reply is why did the mom keep all the kids cookies. She says she wanted to bring them home and was told no they stayed at her house. I did call another mom that I know who kid was there and asked her. She got the same story and her child was upset, too.

So to me it seems that this mom has a nice plate of cookies the kids made her so she doesn't have to make cookies for her family christmas party on Monday. The kicker was the child of the mom was sick-running a 101 fever, chills and runny nose. I found that after I picked up DD.

:blink:

:ohmy:

Just when I think I've heard it all...:001_huh:

Personally, I wouldn't be all into taking little children to a cookie-baking party anyway, but for sure, this woman wouldn't see me on her doorstep for anything.ever.in.this.lifetime.

:grouphug: for your dd and the other victims.

:blink:

:ohmy:

Just when I think I've heard it all...:001_huh:

Personally, I wouldn't be all into taking little children to a cookie-baking party anyway, but for sure, this woman wouldn't see me on her doorstep for anything.ever.in.this.lifetime.

:grouphug: for your dd and the other victims.

I thought I had heard it all too. I just never would have thought this was a bad idea. I originally thought the mom was brave to have the kids over to decorate cookies. Who knew.

That is extremely tacky and rude. And the mom lied to you about the "donated" cookies. That's not cool. I'm not sure that I would care that I had to see her every day, I think I'd have to say something.

I'm sorry that both you and your daughter had to deal with that. :(

:iagree:I would definitely say something. And my children would NOT be attending anything else at their house.

Maybe you should drop of an Emily Post book as a Christmas present.

I would never suggest that any one bring a gift to my home even for a birthday party. Obviously, they probably would, but that isn't the point.

Even tackier is the fact that she attached a "wish list" along with the gift request. That would only seem acceptable for a baby shower or wedding gift.

I read the original post to hubby. His reply was NUTJOB!

LOL

Pretty much sums it up!

I would NOT have brought a gift for the DD either-- no matter if I had noticed it or not. (if it was for a charity, that would have been different!)

Scan in this invite! I would LOVE to see it! (and the back too!) I just cannot imagine how she worded it so that it wasn't tacky! HAHA

Edited by joyfulheart

:001_huh: :001_huh: :001_huh:

WT???????

Young kids invited to a party and leave with nothing? What a way to alienate all of your dd's friends. :svengo:

Hey, I have an idea. I'll host a cleaning party. I'll get lots of little girls to come over and I'll show them how to clean a house, scrub toilets, stuff like that. Bring your own supplies and rubber gloves. ;)

The woman was tacky, rude, and deserved to be called on it. Plus she has a fever!!! Hello!!! In close proximity with small children with developing immune systems. It's a week before Christmas, hmm, what's the average incubation period???

These are the times I'm glad to have a boy. They don't have hammering parties.

Sounds like she wanted some "slave labor" to do her baking and gift-purchasing for her :glare:. Seriously, she probably thinks she's so smart. Call it a party, ask for gifts (since it's a party), the kids "have fun" making cookies, and voila! She has homemade cookies to serve to her holiday guests, and doesn't have to spend so much time and $$ buying gifts for her dc.

Why didn't we think of that? :tongue_smilie:

I didn't grow up being invited to all kinds of kids parties (not birthday parties) like christmas, halloween, cookie baking, etc. Where we live this is normal. DD ( 5 yrs) was invited to a cookie baking party. She had to bring a baking pan and apron. So we go and apparently, we were supposed to bring a christmas gift for the child whose mom was having the party:001_huh:. Is that normal now? Seems kinda tacky to me but what do I know.

Keep in mind, we exchanged gifts with the child for christmas earlier in the week.

Thanks

What kind of cookies did the 3-6 year-olds make?

Since you have to see her every day, I would have let the gift thing slide. Weird, tacky, but not a huge deal. But the cookie thing was an outright lie and I'm pretty sure I would have to say something. "There must have been some misunderstanding at the party because DD was really sad that she didn't get to bring her cookies home. She said you told her they had to stay at your house. I tried to explain that you thought she chose to donate them, but I couldn't make it clear. Do you remember exactly what she said so I can explain to her how it was misunderstood? She has been really upset about this. Thanks!"