Menu

What is your 4-8 year old girl getting for Christmas?

My girls are 4 and 7, so I was curious about what other little girls are getting in their age range. We get them three gifts from us, Santa brings something big, and I fill their stocking with some smaller things. I have 2 out of the 3 gifts from us so I'm looking for ideas for the third gift.

I was actually thinking of getting a back seat organizer for DD7. She sits in the third seat of our van, by herself, and she has so much stuff back there. She's been asking for one....I think she would like it. Is that a crazy gift? LOL

Otherwise, from us, both girls are getting a fancy dress along with a pair of Tom's shoes (the dot ones...they both love polka dots). And they are each getting a doll. DD4 is getting Belle and DD7 is getting Kanana (the AG doll).

Santa is bringing a large wooden dollhouse and a bunch of Barbies that will fit in it. They are just getting into Barbie and have none.

Stockings include some Schleich/Papo princesses and animals, a Gamewright game each, sticker books, reading books, an iTunes card each, a DVD each, a magic ink book, pajamas, Playmobil figures, etc.

My 6yo is getting some books, games (Monopoly Jr, Connect 4, Kids on Stage), a sewing kit, stuffed animal, walkie talkies from grandparents, magnatiles from other grandparents (to share with brother), and two computer games (Jojo's Fashion Show and one with zoo animals), and Russian dolls.

7 yo dd

SOTW 2 CDs :) (We don't homeschool, just like to listen in the car)

Frog Juice (Game)

Play-doh set

Playmobil School (brand new off of craigslist $80!)

Set of Melissa and Doug little horses

CD of Children's worship music

Set of Magic Tree house books

This is from me and grandparents.

My 6yo is getting:

- An American girl doll (Julie)

- A chemistry set (Thames & Kosmos C500, the little intro kit)

- An Avatar: The Last Airbender graphic novel

And maybe a small game, I don't know.

My mom got her two outfits for the AG doll. I don't know what else she'll be getting from relatives.

My two daughters are about 5. They are getting one DS Lite to share and several games to go with it. They are getting a half-sized guitar to share. And a wooden castle/dollhouse (they have so many prince/princess dolls that their regular dollhouse is bursting at the seams). A lego castle toy (the tiny $13 one). Each got a new school backpack with supplies and a puzzle. Extended family are getting them sleeping bags. One kid is getting swimsuits. I will probably add some activity books, perhaps as stocking stuffers.

My dd has Kanani too! Did you know that she's the doll of the year? I understand that means that her stuff is gone after the end of the year. So, you may want to buy up some of her accessories - maybe not for Christmas, but birthday next year?

That's what we're doing for dd (almost 6) this year. She's getting a lot of the kanani accessories. Clothes for her Bitty Baby. That's it!

;)Not to be a grinch or anything, but these threads are really depressing for those of us who cannot afford nice things for our kids this year. Can we lay off them, possibly?

My dd really want AG dolls and I have tried to tell them they are for rich girls, not us. DD6 is trying to save her allowance, which she gets from gg, to buy one. But she gets about $2 a week, and I haven't the heart to tell her it will take over a year-I did suggest the baby ones, which are cheaper, and I think I have her convinced. Sigh...

Yesterday, I burst into tears when the heat gauge on our already messed up truck kept going off, because I haven't got the cash for antifreeze! So please think before posting, as I do not want to wash a load of hankies today. I don't mean any offense, honestly, because I know others would not even think about their post making others sad.

For the record, to stay ot, here is what ours will get from us.

stocking: coins, stick of gum, chocolate, lip balm, clementine

That's about it. The toys and clothes will all come from relatives.

But we'll have fun and remind them to be grateful for what they do get, as they do sometimes complain about the scarcity-they are kids, afterall. We might go to church and eat with relatives, try to take the focus off gifts.

Maybe this could be an inspiration for others who have plenty to consider having a sparer Christmas this year and give those cool toys to homeless kids? Just a thought. Merry Christmas!

My DD7 is getting...

from DH and me - more Schleich fairies, the Summergreen Elf House, the boat, and the lily pad fairy, plus more playsilks for landscape

from Santa - crafts supplies - watercolor set with easel, polymer clay and tools/book, fat quarters with pattern for making tea party linens (placemats, table runner, etc.)

from my parents - jewelry box and jewelry (a lot of my mom's hand-me-downs)

from DH's mom - new scooter

Pixie Hollow box set

Stocking - balloons; headlamp, camping book and marshmallow fork for camping; stuffed cat; Rat-a-Tat cat game; pom-pom makers and yarn; recorder

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

;)Not to be a grinch or anything, but these threads are really depressing for those of us who cannot afford nice things for our kids this year. Can we lay off them, possibly?

My dd really want AG dolls and I have tried to tell them they are for rich girls, not us. DD6 is trying to save her allowance, which she gets from gg, to buy one. But she gets about $2 a week, and I haven't the heart to tell her it will take over a year-I did suggest the baby ones, which are cheaper, and I think I have her convinced. Sigh...

Yesterday, I burst into tears when the heat gauge on our already messed up truck kept going off, because I haven't got the cash for antifreeze! So please think before posting, as I do not want to wash a load of hankies today. I don't mean any offense, honestly, because I know others would not even think about their post making others sad.

But we'll have fun and remind them to be grateful for what they do get, as they do sometimes complain about the scarcity-they are kids, afterall. We might go to church and eat with relatives, try to take the focus off gifts.

Maybe this could be an inspiration for others who have plenty to consider having a sparer Christmas this year and give those cool toys to homeless kids? Just a thought. Merry Christmas!

This is a good reminder, but I disagree that we shouldn't post ideas for holiday gifts for different age ranges. Nobody has to look at the post if it makes them feel bad.

I understand about not having money--if we lived on dh's salary alone, we would either starve or lose our house, so in addition to homeschooling my kids, I work about 20 hours (sometimes more) per week and through this we also manage to buy groceries and save enough for some toys at Christmas. We will certainly donate what we can as well.

DD's list has been consistent for about 6 months now. She is 5 (today!).

-Doll armoire/closet/trunk (our generation brand from target, I think now sold out? Waaaay more affordable than the AG version and it gets great reviews).

-dance bag (still need to buy)

-matching doll/girl jammies (I had a set from AG but returned when my mom found the inexpensive sets from Kohls and Kmart)

-a few charms for her gap charm bracelet (purchased during gap 40% off sale)

-Bernstain bears books

She and DS1 will share an xbox/kinect that I got for a great price via amazon. We don't own a wii or anything similar already.

She just got her first real AG doll for her bday (she already owns an 18 in Gotz doll that she has taken care of very nicely for 2 years now).

My 5 year old is getting a schleich castle from her sister, some socks that my friend knitted her, and owl house to put outside her bedroom window, and probably a rug or some curtains for the new bedroom she is getting when Ds moves out to the garage.

To the previous poster, you might look on Shop Goodwill for American Girl dolls. You can often get them very cheaply. I can tell you how to fix the hair like new, and there are online videos that show how to tighten their arms and legs if they get loose.

Abby is getting a Nintendo 3DS. She's had a Leapster for 2 years, plays it well and takes good care of it. The games are getting too young for her. It will be passed down to her little sister. She has asked for a 2-wheel scooter and Santa got one for half off on Black Friday. She will also get a book, a game or two for her DS, Jammie's and slippers. In her stocking will be candy, an apple or orange, and some earrings.

I'm sorry threads like this are causing you to feel hurt. We have had *very* lean years and my kids enjoyed their Christmases just as much as the years when we've spent more. We've had years where most of their toys were 2nd hand (but in EUC), or handmade. I think my kids enjoy the build up to Christmas (crafting, songs, general merry making LOL) as much as the holiday, if not more so. My kids are getting a "bigger" Christmas this year than they ever have, but that isn't the norm for us, nor is it something I'm going to hang my head about. I am sorry it is causing you pain to read these threads, and I don't think that was the intent. Like many sensitive subjects, maybe it would be best to avoid if reading is going to cause you undue hardship. Please know I'm saying that gently and I totally understand how this can be sensitive and evoke a lot of emotion.

Would a Target Our Generation doll work for your DD? I think they were on sale for like 15 bucks last week. Perhaps some relatives could go in on that? Maybe your DD would like to save up for a used AG doll vs. new? (eta: agree w/ the poster above on used. A friend's DH figured out via online tutorials how to fix the loose limbs and such, and said it is inexpensive and not all that difficult. She may be able to snag a super deal on something repairable down the road). I would encourage my DD to consider used if she was saving her money. My DS1 has saved up and purchased used items quite a few times and realizes how much further it stretches his money (books, Rokenbok toys, etc).

We made air dry clay ornaments 2 days ago and I got the idea to make some mini cupcakes for DD's doll. She is tickled pink over the idea and they are now dry and waiting for paint, and looking super adorable in the meantime. DS1 and DH are building DD a doll bunk bed as DS1's gift to her (I encourage them to make something for one another) using an Ana White plan. I believe the materials are about $10 total. I realize those things may not be in your budget, but I wonder if some relatives could help with those types of things?

We shop for Toys for Tots every year as part of our Advent traditions. Each kid picks a gift for TfT and we drop them off as a family event.

Edited by Momof3littles

You know, I get this. I do. But I'm sure many people posting in these threads have had lean times before. We have not always had the same financial situation that we do now. To ask people to refrain from posting threads about Christmas gifts is really asking too much, especially considering the vast array of what is discussed on these boards. There's always something here to offend you if you look hard enough. The threads about people being sick always make me so very sad, but in a million years I wouldn't ask or expect people to not post them. Just like everything else on the boards, it just provides perspective.

Those who are sad reading these threads should consider not reading them. Skip them. Sometimes I am too emotionally drained to read threads of one theme or another here. That's just the way it is. These boards are made up of people from all walks of life who have a wide mix of circumstances...and they are in a constant state of flux!

For the record, my family has always given to the Angel Tree. We pick a family with kids the same ages and sex of my kids and we have oodles of fun buying for them. They don't get any toys or books I wouldn't buy for my own kids. It is all part of the Christmas spirit. Please be as careful with your assumptions about the extravagance of the Christmas gift giving of others as you expect us to be with your feelings. I understand that you meant it as a gentle reminder but it feels to me a bit more like a wagging finger with a lecture.

DD7: bracelet making kit, necklace making kit, bike, a couple of schleich horses/dragons/fairy things, decorate it yourself jewelry box, art kit, craft kit, and a couple of pieces of clothing.

DD10: microscope, bike, slippers, clothes, books, a yard of FUR fabric, and an archery set.

My soon to be 6 year old will be getting

Calvin and Hobbes book

The Witches and James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

a new outfit

Carcassonne

She's also getting Cranium Cadoo as a joint gift with her sister and whatever is in her stocking (booklight, goggles, candy etc)

DD (7) is getting Samantha from AG. She's retired so I managed to snag a well-loved used one. She's been cleaned, I spent a good 6 weeks this summer removing stains from the vinyl, and today while DD is gone I need to restring and rewig the doll. I'm a bit nervous about rewigging her as I've never done it, but I've done a couple dry-fit practice runs so hopefully I won't mess up! She's also getting a bunch of Samantha's things I bought used and cleaned/spruced up. She'll be getting Samantha's school set (desk, lunchbox, books, dress), Samantha's bedroom set (bed, nightstand, most of her nighttime essentials minus the Wizard of Oz book, and pjs), and some of her clothes. She's also getting some of Kirsten and Kit's outfits/accessories I picked up used. In addition to the AG stuff which is most of her Hanukkah/Christmas presents, she's getting a couple of craft kits, Harry Potter Scene-It, a couple of movies in her stocking, and some Magic Fairy books (need to order those). She's been really into drawing lately so DH and I also got her a nice set of colored pencils, an artist sketch book, and a few step-by-step how to draw books. I know my brother and SIL got her several paint-by-number sets so she'll enjoy those.

I was actually thinking of getting a back seat organizer for DD7. She sits in the third seat of our van, by herself, and she has so much stuff back there. She's been asking for one....I think she would like it. Is that a crazy gift? LOL

One of mine would love something like that -- she just gets excited about any gift.

One of ours is getting a several books (from our favorite local store), art supplies (favorite hobby), pajamas, and a child sewing kit she has wanted. (She drew a list of things she wanted, which included a book about tigers and a candy cane. We'll get those, too.)

We're giving her one of my jewelry boxes. It is in perfect condition and it is her favorite color. She hasn't seen it before. My parents got me my first box when I was the same age, so we're doing the same. And knowing her personality, she will be happy.

We do very little with toys since my parents usually cover that. I have no idea what they are getting. Last year, she got some games and puzzles.

My 5 year old girl is getting Barbie and Ken from us, Fancy Nancy Book from us and a top from us (this year we're doing a toy, a book and something they can wear and that's it). I had to shop for Grandma for the kids this year and from Grandma she's getting a bracelet making kit.

We're still working on ideas for DD this year, but so far we're planning on:

some clothes for her AG dolls

Mosaic art project

color by number Hello Kitty picture

xbox 360 kinect that she will share with DS

soccer ball

glow sticks as a stock stuffer

an ariel boat

fort building kit

karaoke set

h

I'm so, so sorry you've been hurting. :grouphug:

But, we do help those in need and that sort of implies we're just here thoughtlessly uncaring about people who can't afford much this season. And we can't help the fact that kids just get excited over gifts but ours do love the spirit of giving (mine has been happily at work on her gifts -- she loves to draw for people) and other things about the season. (Her wish list wasn't entirely material -- one thing was just sibling-free time together.)

We aren't wealthy. We're on one income and can't "keep up" with a lot of people we know. I'm not sure we could afford the same things being posted in this thread -- I didn't even really think about that as I read the posts. In years past, we sometimes only got one or two very small gifts for our children.

And a couple of things I forget to list, besides the jewelry box I already mentioned, are from a stash of toys from my childhood that are in great condition. We also found a cute collection of Winnie books at the library discard pile. They were in good condition, cheap, and my kids are going to love them. I know used items don't work for everyone but mine are not the least bit bothered by it.

I'm really sorry for your situation and hope things go better for you. But I wouldn't have even opened this thread if the age/gender hadn't matched someone I'm shopping for and I was interested in ideas. I don't think anyone can read all the threads here.

I won't say you were wrong to open the thread but I also wouldn't say people are being insensitive to post to it. It's not mandatory reading.

6year old dd: AG doll

tea table and chair set, tea set

matching outfits and pajamas

ballet outfit for AG doll

matching "best friends" bracelet and necklace

Fur real Frenzie (tj maxx had it very cheap)

Aqua Pet

make up kit

4 year old niece: I bought her a ballerina barbie and a fur real pet.

DD5:

2 Yoga CDs

1 Kick CD

1 Ballet CD

1 HipHop CD

A huge pile of pillows to make a pillow pile in her room.

A large pop up play tent (we have had smaller ones in the past)

A soccer goal and new ball

2 leapster games, Ispy and Draw and Write

A scooter

A new sensory box (she may get this before Christmas on the days off from school).

Why would you assume just because a child is getting an American Girl for Christmas that they wouldn't go out and shop for toys for tots, or donate their old toys to shelters or goodwill, or visit nursing homes, or any other great ways to show charity this season? I'm sorry you're struggling, but that's a hurtful insinuation. We donate a significant part of our income every year to our favorite charities and do community service with our kids on a regular basis.

I think everyone has threads they're sensitive about. For me, the new baby and infant ones pull at my heart strings a bit because I would have liked one more child. I am at peace with it, but I'd love to have a board where I didn't need to wade through infant/toddler stuff. But I wouldn't expect it on this board! People are free to pass by threads that aren't for them. I do it all the time.

My 7 year old daughter is getting Marie Grace American Girl with accessories, some Harry Potter legos, a new outfit, new jammies, Harry Potter legos, and BOOKS! I got her a couple items for her stocking during AG big blow out sale. She's getting a bunch of American Girl stuff from relatives because her aunts and grandmothers love to give that stuff.

an American Girl Pet Package for each (was half off at bn.com)

a scratch art book for each (was half off at bn.com)

a mini mosaic kit for each

a card game (Prof Noggin Myths for 8yo, Gamewright's Hiss for 5yo)

Harry Potter pop-up for 8yo (Amazon Marketplace)

Klutz Chicken Socks Eye Find for 5yo

I think I overdid it. Oh well, at least these things are all small and/or consumable! :D

DD5:

A huge pile of pillows to make a pillow pile in her room.

A large pop up play tent

Love this!! I think I'll copy your pillow idea. I'm getting dd(7) new sheets (found the perfect ones on clearance!!) and a bejewelled canopy to hang over her bed. And I'm making a princess dressup kit with sparkles for her hair and costume jewelry, and whatever else inspirational Walmart may offer in the princess department. :D

My 12 yr old is getting a Pillow Pet, two books, a new headset for audio books, and various ballet items: a pretty sewing kit/box with heavy duty floss/thread (they have to sew their own ribbons and elastics on their ballet and pointe shoes) and some other fun things- pin cushion, little scissors, good needles etc, some fancy hair pins and bun holder, a new leotard (has to be black, but can have some embellishment etc in the back), and for performances: glitter hair spray, Burt's Bees lipstick, plus a winter jacket from her studio. I love it when there is a theme. Makes it much, much easier. :) I think this is her first Christmas with no toy-toys. She really needs a phone with all the ballet/studio time.

I'll probably do the phone for her 13th b'day. She doesn't ask for much, and is very easy to buy for; she loves everything. The jacket was $ and that's the only thing she actually asked for (besides the Pillow Pet), otherwise I would have gotten the phone for Christmas.

Edited by LibraryLover

My almost 6 year old: a horse for her AG doll (not AG brand, Target brand), an equestrian outfit for her AG doll, the Headbanz game, a tooth fairy bracelet, Kitt Kittredge (sp) DVD.

My 8 year old: an mp3 player with some music preloaded, an itunes gift card and pink ear buds, a Justin Bieber watch, a Justin Bieber book, and a copy of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Their stockings will have things like lip gloss, lotion, jewelry, hair barrettes, etc.

Oh! And they got their puppy today! :D

My dd6 has decided she wants to be an artist, so she is getting a lot of art stuff this year:

clay and a clay tools set (she specifically asked for this)

Upcycled (handmade junk store $3 find, sanded & painted) easel

A new crayon/art tote (I sell them, but her old one was 3 years old & had Dora on it so she needed a new one!)

A book on illustrators and an Ed Emberley drawing book

2 Lego minifigures

Diary w/a lock

Puzzle

Also, Amazon had Just Dance 3 (Wii game) for $26 so ds got it for dd (and maybe a little for himself, I suspect ;).)

Love this!! I think I'll copy your pillow idea. I'm getting dd(7) new sheets (found the perfect ones on clearance!!) and a bejewelled canopy to hang over her bed. And I'm making a princess dressup kit with sparkles for her hair and costume jewelry, and whatever else inspirational Walmart may offer in the princess department. :D

Just to help you out a bit...I got most of the pillows at places like Ross/TJ Maxx/HomeGoods. Just watch the seams, sometimes places like that have a hard time getting the seams stitched right. :0) We also got one of the Huge Pillow Pets (different brand) to throw in her pile at Costco. Hers is a giant frog. :D

We generally give our kids one large item for Christmas. This year dd 8 and ds 6 are going to share a big gift from us - a gymnastics bar, so we are also giving them each a smaller gift - cute kitchen supplies (for use in an actual kitchen) and kitchen aprons. In dd 8's stocking - bike helmet, bike bell, webkinz small stuffed animal, socks and candy. Ds 6's stocking is the same except a bike ramp instead of a bike helmet.

I am really sorry to hear you are having a tough year. Can you get your name on a list so that your family can be adopted by others? Our church does this each year for multiple families and many people buy things like American Girl dolls and bikes.

:grouphug: to you and your children.

M

Oh! And they got their puppy today! :D

I think it's against board rules to post that you got a puppy and NOT post a picture!!!! We wanna' see it!

I have an almost 4 y.o. DD and an 8 y.o. DD. They are getting:

DD3.5: Doll, matching nightgown for her and her doll, stuffed animal nursing dog with 3 pups.

DD8: matching nightgown for her and her AG doll (that she already owns), DH's refurbished old iphone loaded with some games and a dock for it so she can listen to music/dance in her room.

They are both getting a doll bunk bed for their dolls and a doll tea set.

This is a good reminder, but I disagree that we shouldn't post ideas for holiday gifts for different age ranges. Nobody has to look at the post if it makes them feel bad.

I understand about not having money--if we lived on dh's salary alone, we would either starve or lose our house, so in addition to homeschooling my kids, I work about 20 hours (sometimes more) per week and through this we also manage to buy groceries and save enough for some toys at Christmas. We will certainly donate what we can as well.

I agree. We have options to not open threads. I teach full time. We donate to Toys for Tots, Bright Star (local charity) and already did service hours at Feed My Starving Children. That is just what we do a the holidays - never mind the rest of the year!

I don't appreciate the sentiment that just because I can afford nice gifts for my children (that I work and save for all year), that I don't make donations. for some of us it is possible to do both.

DD4 is getting:

an easel and paper

flannel pajamas (bought last year for really cheap!)

a Ruth Heller Coloring book (stocking)

a mocassin kit (stocking - doubles as history project with older siblings)

a backpack (found a great sale!)

a set of clothes for her doll (stocking)

a new toothbrush and toothpaste (stocking)

an ornament made by me

I already have ideas for next year! I want to make her an apron and put together a baking set, make her a Matryoska felt ornament, and make some more doll clothes out of thrift store baby clothes.

My almost 5 year old is getting:

Silly Hair Lalaloopsy

Playmobil Take Along Hospital and Ambulance (smoking deals for both)

dress up clothes

I'm also going to get lip gloss and very pale nail polish and hair bows for her stocking.

Christine

does anyone have a princess cape for their daughter. We're going to DW for her birthday next month and I'm thinking she'd enjoy one to wear over whatever princess dress she chooses. I'm considering Magic Cabin or Little Adventures pink. Thoughts?

This year we are spending a little more than the past few years, but we are still sticking to our long held gift plan: one santa present & stocking, one toy, one book, one group gift, one sibling gift

DD6 is receiving:

-a Doodle Bear from Santa

-Lego figures, anti-bac gel, mini-m&m's, and hex bug batteries (normally we make them buy these with their earned money) in the stockings

-A Lego set

-A Fancy Nancy book

-Order's Up game for the group

-a Xia Xia pet from her siblings

My dd7 is getting:

American Girl just like me doll

Felicity's bed w/bedding & Felicity's cloak (she already has a Felicity doll)

Harry Potter & Prisoner of Azkaban

A Christmas Carol (the new beautiful edition illustrated by PJ Lynch)

christmas ornament, lip gloss, & various other stocking stuffers

dd3 (but about to turn 4) is getting:

American Girl just like me doll

Calico Critters doll house & kitty cat family

2 picture books

christmas ornament, flavored chapstick, & various stocking stuffers

DD6 is getting a set of little Disney princess dolls from us, plus stocking stuff. We also have two joint gifts for all the kids - Twig blocks and a mini air hockey table.

Stuff that I know she is getting from grandparents - a Groovy Girls doll (they are on Amazon - very cute for not a "baby" doll but not the weird Bratz etc stuff), butterfly Pillow Pet, books, craft sets.

My dd is 4 but most of the stuff is for her and her brother together. We'll just divide them up so they each have things to open but they don't really have separate toys yet.

I'm pulling out one of my oldest daughters old Magic Attic dolls, some of the clothes that were hand-made by my mother for that doll and some wood furniture - desk, chairs and table. DD has a American Girl-type doll that I think may be the Target one so she doesn't need a second doll but her brother likes to play with the doll with her so I figure a second one is a good idea to prevent fights.

A toy cash register, a couple of Wii games, a couple of activities for TAG, they are each getting a Webkinz and a pillow pet, a couple of board games, Lion King on DVD, play-doh (stocking), sidewalk chalk (stocking).

DD will also be getting a unitard for gymnastics. We did it last year and she just wore a t-shirt and sweats. She was the only girl in her group so she didn't mind. We just restarted and now there are more girls and they all wear cute little unitards so dd really wants one.

DS is getting Draw, Write, Now books and a Kids K'nex Monster Building Set (he always wants to build monsters and aliens with his blocks).