Menu

What is your 4-8 year old girl getting for Christmas?

Dd 4.5 is getting:

The Chocolate Cat book

The Magic Flute picture book

A cheap little backpack on special at the zoo

A home job doll house and bought furniture

A magnetic paper doll type thing (I got that on special years ago and she's finally old enough to enjoy it. I'm a bit ridiculous like that.)

Her grandmother has bought her another book.

Her great grandmother has bought her an umbrella

Her uncle usually buys books too

Her grandfather will buy something (usually something not that great, but occasionally he'll splurge on something) and her maternal aunt may or may not. She's going to her fiance's in Kenya for Christmas, so if she doesn't buy the kids Christmas presents, she'll come home with some sort of gift. Her paternal aunt will send a small book and toy that'll be too young for her and her paternal grandparents may or may not buy some little trinket. They might be adding to her bank account though, they wouldn't say.

Rosie

5 yo

Baby Born doll with doll clothes I am making - possibly a carrier seat thing if I can find one

Lots of dress up clothes to replace the ones she has outgrown

Books

Kids digital camera

Tons of art/craft stuff

A couple of new dresses

A dollhouse and a bunch of Sylvanian family/Calico Critters stuff to put in it

Pyjamas

I'm also thinking of getting the kids a bunch of those huge life size lego blocks as a share present so they can build their own cubby houses - I just saw them in Target last night for the first time ever - they are expensive but would be oh so worth it - all my kids were begging for them when they saw them on display so I'm trying to decide if we have the budget for it.

To the previous poster, you might look on Shop Goodwill for American Girl dolls. You can often get them very cheaply. I can tell you how to fix the hair like new, and there are online videos that show how to tighten their arms and legs if they get loose.

I agree

I got my DD's Bitty Baby off ebay for $12 in good condition.

Edited by sewingmama

My dd really want AG dolls and I have tried to tell them they are for rich girls, not us. DD6 is trying to save her allowance, which she gets from gg, to buy one. But she gets about $2 a week, and I haven't the heart to tell her it will take over a year-I did suggest the baby ones, which are cheaper, and I think I have her convinced. Sigh...

That's pretty discouraging. I know you are sick at heart and discouraged yourself, but the above quote just sounds terrible. There is no reason a 6yo girl can't save up for a year or more for a 'real' American Girl doll. Three of my daughters did it when they were little. One of them stuck the dollar bills around her dresser mirror. She knew how many dollars fit around the perimeter and I helped her calculate how many times she'd have to go around before she had enough money. She did it! She is 17 but still remembers how it felt to plunk that money over.

From us they will each be getting an audiobook. Dd4 is getting Winnie the Pooh, and dd7 s king Arthur story.

In their stockings they will get some chocolate, a colouring book, toothbrushes, socks, and crayons or coloured pencils, and they are each going to get a few members of a dollhouse family for the dollhouse we are working on. I've also ordered some floor papers and paste though I may wrap those separately.

They will be getting some things from my ILs, and my parents are just getting some neat little things to open, and will give some money for lessons.

9yo is really starting to get into hair styles so she is getting a doll head to style hair with because her AG doll doesn't have the right hair for what she wants to do. The one I found actually comes off the doll for the girl to wear as a wig. I hope she likes it. She asked for a different AG doll but not happening.

She's also getting a sled and a dog calendar.

7yo begged for a smaller unicorn pillow pet so that her regular unicorn pillow pet can have a baby.

She's also getting a Cinderella doll (barbie style) and a cat calendar.

4yo has just discovered Care Bears. I was so happy to find one at Goodwill because they don't seem to be in the stores these days. I also found her a small school desk. She's starting to cut ties with the nursery so to speak and is ready to hang with the big kids "doing school". Her third present is one of those small plastic Sleeping Beauties with the plastic clothes. 4yo cousin has a bunch of these and my dd LOVES to play with them when she's over at her house.

Random stocking stuff from the Dollar Tree: jump ropes, stamps, coloring books, etc.

We used to be a family that spent a fortune at Christmas but realized after a year of "no gifts" due to a layoff several years ago that less is more.

We also found behaviors changed and arguments stopped when the kids had less toys to argue over. (and they appreciated what they did have so much more.)

Over the years I've also grown tired of the "plastic" backlash (Tons of little parts and broken bits, doll heads, car parts....all those little plastic pieces that seem to pile up from the large number of toys given by well meaning relatives. but which end up in the trash within the first 3 months after Christmas.

This year each kid is getting 1 big item and 2 small items for their stocking, plus candy and small handmade items, like soap, lipbalm ect.

DD 6 will be receiving a MDF castle dollhouse for her Waldorf type PEG dolls and she will also be getting the first 2 audiobooks from the little house on the prairie series for her stocking (she's checked these audiobooks out of the library 3x now..lol)

DD12 is getting a new skateboard and pads (he's outgrown his old ones) and the 2 season DVD's of BBC Roman Mysteries Series in his stocking.

I've asked all other relatives/friends to get books or provide gift cards for books.

From what I've been told DS 12 will be getting some Horrible Histories/Sciences as well as a few novels in hardback from Rick Riordan he doesn't already have. DD 6 will be getting a few Fancy Nancy Books and Gift cards to go select her own books.

So to sum it up, 1 toy, 2 electronic media per child from us, and lots of books from everyone else.

Each of the kids also receives a "donation" in their name to Heifer International every year from us. (and they get to pick what "animal" their donation purchases....TBH, they LOVE doing this and it has become a highlight of Christmas for us.

Now that we are again financially stable, we still keep Christmas small (for us anyway) and concentrate on others.

Between dh and I and the grandparents: our dd5 is getting: Uncle Milton's Rainbow in My Room, a American Heritage Girls doll, an American Girl doll (Julie), several board games, mini Lalaloopsy doll kits, two Moxie Girlz holiday dolls (Avery and Sophina), Leapfrog Explorer with a bunch of games, and various stocking items. I think I'm forgetting a few but that's most of it.

My dd will receive:

Just Dance Kids for the Wii

Princess Cape/Tiara

Barbie Video Doll

Doll Wardrobe/Bed

2 doll outfits

2 Melissa &Doug items

Shut the Box game

Handbells with song book

Please keep in mind I shop online clearance, Black Friday online sales, thrift stores, B&M clearance, and Ebay, so we haven't spent as much as you might think. DD is getting an AGD from my husband's Grandma, so that why she's getting so much doll stuff. We do a smaller gift from us and the rest from Santa.

For the folks who Schleich horses/dragons/fairy items. I have to say that my dc played with those for years and years, and my 12 yr old still 'rearranges 'them often. I would say that line has given the greatest play value, along with Playmobil, and the little wooden animals from Magic Cabin and Nova Naturals. My youngest still uses the wooden animals to set up various seasonal scenes on our frieplace mantel.

Just saying one can't really seem to go wrong with some items. :)

Oh, and who asked about the glitter hair spray? I can't seem to find that post now. I think it was from Claire's or Target. Sally's probably carries it as well. It's a small pink can and the brand name is Cutie Boutique. I have to warn you to be careful. The scent of it is strong. I put it on her when we are outside, and make her cover her face and ears with a towel. She is a snowflake this year, and the girls look really sweet & magical when the stage lights catch the glittery hair. It washes out easily, and might be fun for a child wanting to do something interesting with her hair without coloring it.

Edited by LibraryLover

Oh, and who asked about the glitter hair spray? I can't seem to find that post now. I think it was from Claire's or Target. Sally's probably carries it as well. It's a small pink can and the brand name is Cutie Boutique. I have to warn you to be careful. The scent of it is strong. I put it on her when we are outside, and make her cover her face and ears with a towel. She is a snowflake this year, and the girls look really sweet & magical when the stage lights catch the glittery hair. It washes out easily, and might be fun for a child wanting to do something interesting with her hair without coloring it.

:iagree: Scent is VERY strong. You can also buy tubes of hair paint/gel which have a sort of mascara brush inside. These are for coloring a streak of hair.

My dd's gifts are more unique/unusual this year. She's starting to outgrow toys but LOVES Legos and Knex, both of which she has too many! So she's getting a hammock type air chair, and I got her several pieces of jewelry with Chinese symbols on them, all referring to love, family, happiness and hope. :001_smile: I got her a new coat (she's always getting hand me downs, as did my younger son, and new clothing is a HUGE hit!), new boots to match the coat, and will get a scarf, hat and gloves. Chinese checkers, and several craft kits: a kit to make a purse (NICE purse not little girl purse), nice jewelry kits including weaving friendship bracelets (a nicer one not a little kid one), beading supplies, basket making kit, crochet, I'm waiting for my weekly 50% coupon and then will get the HUGE Sculpey clay for her. She is liking to be busy DOING stuff more than toys these days, so I think these will work well for her. Her birthday is shortly after Christmas so if she wants toys, we'll get them then.

In stockings we'll get 20 quesions (those things are COOL!), puzzles, and a needlepoint kit.

My DD is 5 and she will be getting an AG Samantha doll (thanks to a fellow poster here! Thank you again!), some clothes to go with her ( I scoured ebay for some of her original historical period clothing, some of the Samantha short story and mystery books (that's all her "main gift"). Then she is also getting a kids' digital camera, and a Wizard of Oz board game with a fabulous picture book version of the original book to go with it. In her stocking, she is getting a Veggietales movie, CD, and a new watch.

when I read your question, I swear I thought it said 8 - 9 year old. :confused: If I had a 4 - 8 year old, I'd be buying Little Petshop toys. Those were HUGE hits here and the girls still play with them periodically.

I also love Playmobil.

Sorry about my original response! My dd is 8, almost 9.

I participated and my kid is 12. ;) Whatcha gonna do? lol

My 6 year old DD is getting:

She's Mary Poppins obsessed (and has been for 2 years) so I found an old MP doll pattern, a MP lunchbox and some uncut paperdolls from the 60s on Ebay for her.

Fractiles

Set of Beverly Cleary books

First 2 HP books on audio

Harry Potter dress up cape, wand and tie

Snow Block builder (she loved our neighbors last year)

Zoku popsicle maker + recipe book

Magic set

when I read your question, I swear I thought it said 8 - 9 year old. :confused: If I had a 4 - 8 year old, I'd be buying Little Petshop toys. Those were HUGE hits here and the girls still play with them periodically.

I also love Playmobil.

Sorry about my original response! My dd is 8, almost 9.

We LOVE LPS at our house!!! But I like the old ones better - the ones that almost look like the critters instead of all the glitter and pink paint, etc. But we have hundreds and play with them daily.

DD7:

Wardrobe for her AG dolls (the one from Target that some one else mentioned)

Set of disney princess dolls (Target BF sale - woohoo!)

Sparkly tank top

Small Cabbage patch doll

crystal excavation kit

magic tree house books

nail kit

lipgloss

Rio movie

DD 2.5:

Radio Flyer Tricycle & helmet

Leap Frog Laptop

Dora doll

Froggy PJ's

Blue's Clues book

Winnie the Pooh Movie

Both girls will get AG stuff from their grandmother - the 2.5 year old is getting her first Bitty Baby :D. That is the age DD7 got hers, and it is very well loved now :).

Both of my dds want AG dolls, so that's their gift. Dd9 is also getting a book and dd7 is getting Rory's Story Cubes. And togEther, all 3 of them are getting a Lamplighter cd. The baby is getting a stuffed horse, a couple books and a xylophone.

To the poster who said she was too poor for an ag doll: your daughter will appreciate it and love it so much after saving up for a year for it. She will also have a great perspective on the value of money. She will be in a mich better position to handle the realities of adult life than someone who's given all they want.