Menu

Would you give a baby a "top five" name?

I really like the name Emily. However, it's been #1 for a long time (although I think it's not number 1 currently). My son has a common name (top 10) and we've never run across another kid with his name. Would you give your kid a really popular name?

This conversation could be completely hypothetical given the fact that we don't know if it is a boy or girl. ;)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids don't have a top 10 name but I do, and it gets old. In fact, it wasn't even a top 10 when I was named, I am about 10 years on the other side. LOL I really didn't run into many people with my name when I was growing up, but once I got a little bit older and started meeting more people...it was everywhere. I work for a large chain store. Every store I have ever worked at, for 15 years, has always had another person by my name. I encounter people daily with my name.

It isn't a bad name, it just isn't unique in any way.

I have a top 5 name. In fact, it was number 1 for a while. I really don't like it. But, my mom didn't pick it because she loved it. It was given to me as a way to solve a disagreement between my parents. I might feel different if I knew it was a name my mom loved.

OTOH, she wanted to name me Gigi. So maybe I should be happy she lost the argument?

And I am SO not a Gigi.

But, I am really not fond of very popular names due to being one of sometimes as many as 7 other girls of my name in a class etc. I don't even turn around if I hear my name called on the street. It is never me, so why bother? I also get sick of having to identify myself on the phone. I can't say just my first name, I have to be specific as to which one I am. Most people I know have at least one other friend with my name. DH has at least two cousins with my name.

DH and I really worked hard to find names for our kids that didn't sound too 'far out' but not like everyone else.

Sure. The popular names change so often. I have an Alex and an Austin. Alex has always been popular, but we rarely run into other Alex's. Austin was only popular one year. Holy smokes. A LOT of my Austin's friends are named Austin. In 7th grade, there were 6 on his football team. I think we figured about 20% of the kids on the team were named Austin. :lol:

Okay, so those of you who have a super popular name... I have heard that names are no longer as common. Even the #1 name is way less common than #1 names used to be because so many people name their kids crazy stuff. Do you think that is true? Hmmm. Why does everyone else have to like the same stuff I do??

I had a top 5 name. Always had 3-4 other girls with the same name in the same school (2,000 or less students). One of my best friends during high school had the same name :c). Haven't considered changing it. My DH has a popular name... my DD has the name Emily... :c) Guess I don't check the charts that often and you never know what name will be popular from one year to the next... so pick the name you like/feels the best for your new little one!

Oh, I think that is probably true. 3 of my children (not Austin ;)) have traditional names that have spent at least some time on popular name lists (maybe not my daughter's whose name is considered old-fashioned, although the nickname she goes by is somewhat popular in trendy crowds) and I don't run into kids with those names often.

My 20dd is Emily. When I told everyone the name we picked, they all complained because it was so old fashioned. About 5 years later, it exploded into popularity. I guess I was ahead of my time. :lol: I have named all my babies names that my husband and I love. We didn't take into account the popularity factor and 2 of our kids have a lot of other kids their age with the same name and it doesn't bother us. I don't think it bothers them either. We often get a chuckle about it.

JMO,

Joy

I had to look this up to verify it and I was correct. My given name was VERY popular in the late 1800s when my great-grandmother was given the name. When I was given the name in the 1970s it was extremely unpopular and old-fashioned. It has since skyrocketed into popularity again. LOL!

Sure. The popular names change so often. I have an Alex and an Austin. Alex has always been popular, but we rarely run into other Alex's. Austin was only popular one year. Holy smokes. A LOT of my Austin's friends are named Austin. In 7th grade, there were 6 on his football team. I think we figured about 20% of the kids on the team were named Austin. :lol:

LOL we had neighbors a few years ago with boys named Alex and Austin. Alex would be about 15yo and Austin about 12-13yo now.

My Austin has also been in school (except for the years he was homeschooled) with another boy named Austin who ALSO has almost exactly our same last name who also has played almost every season of athletics with my kid. That has caused MUCH confusion. Last year, the coach SAID the wrong last name when giving a coach's award. Very embarrassing.

I am totally being gender biased here.

Most boys don't seem to mind sharing names, even like it. Most girls, really don't like sharing names. I remember all the poor Jennifer's that I grew up with, they hated it. The John's were all fine though, didn't seem to mind that there were 3 in our class at all.

Funny, I never run into Jennifer's at all now. However, I know lots of Emily's, Emma's, Ava's, Savannah's, and Sophia's.

We went for a girls name that was traditional, not too out there, but not even showing on the US lists (you can look by country, her name is on the top 100 in the UK, but we don't live there). Our son's name is in the top 10.:tongue_smilie:

I think it matters more what is popular in you area and if it bothers you that they may bump into other kids with the same name.

Round here all the little girls seem to be called Grace or Amelia.

Popular boys names are Callum, Elliot and William, Thomas and Oliver. There are so many of them, any group we attend will be mostly made up of those 5 boys names.

They are all nice names so maybe it doesn't matter whether they are popular other than we always have to follow up with their surname or clarifying who their parents are before we understand who we are talking about so its not very individual. May not be such a good idea to use popular first names if you have a popular surname.

My dds name was not common when we named her, we only heard it on a few adults of middle eastern descent, but now it has crept into the top 30 over here.

My son has an unusual name that I have only heard one once before. It shortens to a very common name though which is always on the top of lists. We did that on purpose so he could choose not to use his unusual name, people never spell his name correctly even though it is only 5 letters long, even his grandad gets it wrong.

Edited by lailasmum

No. For my daughters, I intentionally ruled out all names in the top 100 (except I goofed - dd1's name is somewhere in the 90s on that list). Dd2's name was in the 300s the year she was born; according Social Security's Name site, it's fallen well into the 400s in 2010, and yet most folks would recognize it easily.

OTOH, my ds's name is in the top 20 for boys. At the time, I wasn't thinking about name popularity, and since he was named after my father, it probably wouldn't have mattered.

Yes! My dd is named Olivia, which (I believe) was the number 1 name the year she was born. I really struggled with giving her that name because, even though I had loved the name for years, I didn't want to just give her a trendy name. I am so glad that I stuck to my guns and named her that because it fits her perfectly (and I still think Olivia is a beautiful name).

If you like it, go ahead and use it. I tried to give my children a common, but not "top" name, but it didn't really help. We knew a few people with the name, but it wasn't everywhere. My dd's name is just barely in the top 100, but she goes to a dance studio where there are 3 or 4 other girls with her name! We joke that maybe it's just a dancer name. Name popularity changes so much that I don't think it really matters.

I really like the name Emily. However, it's been #1 for a long time (although I think it's not number 1 currently). My son has a common name (top 10) and we've never run across another kid with his name. Would you give your kid a really popular name?

This conversation could be completely hypothetical given the fact that we don't know if it is a boy or girl. ;)

I think I did, twice. I didn't plan their names to be top 5. I just chose names I liked.

All three of my children have names that rank in the top 25, so still pretty common. My name was number 2 the year I was born and my husband also has a very common name.

I am always so surprised to see the negative comments about using a more common name because frankly, I think giving a child a name that is fairly recognizable, has an familiar pronunciation and a common spelling can lift a huge burden off them for their life. I am so glad that I don't have to constantly tell people how to say and spell my name!

I do not pay any attention to those lists -- IF I liked a name, and everything else was good, I would use it.

My dd12 and my granddaughter5 have top five names (dd12's wasn't when she was born - it became popular) -- I truly do not run into thousands, hundreds or even many with their name --select the name you love, and don't worry about it.:001_smile:

It's funny b/c in theory, I'd be pretty against it (personally) -- I guess I like the idea of my kid's name being unique. However, my firstborn's name turned out to be wildly popular starting the year or two after she was born (and it still is). It really doesn't bother me. It doesn't mean I hear it every time I turn around, and when she meets someone with her name, it makes her smile and feel a special "kinship" with that person. So I say -- if you love it, use it!

My first son has a very popular name as a nickname. His "real name" is not popular AT ALL. So it is a nice combo.

My DD's name is a very old fashioned beautiful name and we have NEVER met a girl her age with the name.

My 2nd son has a moderately popular name.

(Am I the only one who hates the name Emily?) :tongue_smilie: :lol: :tongue_smilie:

As a Jennifer born in the 70's, I would NOT name my child any name in the top 10! We very specifically monitored the top 10 names for each dc, and I passed on some girl names that I still love. My fav for my first was Hannah, but she turned into an Anna. We waited to use Sarah until it dropped out of the top 10. I probably sound paranoid, but I truly wanted my kids to feel a little bit special about their names. Like a PP said, my name feels like a number.

My 20dd is Emily. When I told everyone the name we picked, they all complained because it was so old fashioned. About 5 years later, it exploded into popularity. I guess I was ahead of my time. :lol: I have named all my babies names that my husband and I love. We didn't take into account the popularity factor and 2 of our kids have a lot of other kids their age with the same name and it doesn't bother us. I don't think it bothers them either. We often get a chuckle about it.

JMO,

Joy

My dd is Lucy after family. Funny enough, everyone we met had a dog named Lucy when she was born. The name wasn't even in the top 200. Now it's different - still lots of Lucy dogs around, but lots of babies too.

My name is the same. I didn't know a single person under the age of 70 with my name when I was a kid. Now, I meet a child with my name about every other day. Old fashioned names seem to really be coming back.

Use it if you like it!

I had a top 5 name. Always had 3-4 other girls with the same name in the same school (2,000 or less students). One of my best friends during high school had the same name :c). Haven't considered changing it. My DH has a popular name... my DD has the name Emily... :c) Guess I don't check the charts that often and you never know what name will be popular from one year to the next... so pick the name you like/feels the best for your new little one!

Wow. With your description of your name I was going to think you were a Jennifer, and was stunned to find you were "Sarah"

I had NO one in my classes, growing up that was also named Sarah. I didn't know another Sarah until I was an adult and joined a church in Washington state where there was 1 other Sarah.

Now... my SIL's name is Sarah.

I've got two different Sarahs in my Sunday School class (interestingly both of them are Sarah Smith and I am also Sarah S. now)

So yeah, its common now. But it was rare when I was growing up!

Pick the name you like!

I specifically avoided Emily because it was so popular, and I grew up with a popular name. I don't regret that (I love dd's name!), but her name ended up being in the top 5 that year anyway, LOL! My sister had a uncommon name that has recently become popular, she could NEVER find barrettes (or whatever) with her name on it. No one could spell her name, and she hated that. We find stuff everywhere with dd's name on it, and she likes that. So there are 2 sides to the popular name argument!

Also, I read somewhere that there are 14,000 different boys names used a year and 30,000 girls names. The top boy name is going to have more children named that than the top girls name.

Would you give your kid a really popular name?

We choose names based on a bunch of factors that we use to whittle down the list in the days leading up to a birth. One of the factors is rareness. The name of our first-born, Max, seems to have gained slightly in popularity since we chose it, and in fact last year he encountered another Max at his school. We still haven't met another Oscar.

I think there is an increasing trend to pick unusual names, which introduces a bit of helpful scatter. I personally don't see anything wrong with picking a name that's more common as long as it seems to fit the child and family. It's rare to meet someone who doesn't seem to have a name that fits them, since we tend to grow accustomed to a name over time.

More common names are not rendered less beautiful, strong, compelling, etc. because of the statistics in a particular birth year or decade. The common names are intrinsically just as unique as the rest, with their own special meanings and history-- they just appeal to many people, sometimes because of the tendency to name children after family members and sometimes for other good reasons. If no one named their children those names, the world would lose a little bit of its flavor.

I was musing on names just the other day, and it occurred to me that Kate is a quite common name, but that I couldn't imagine the character of Kate in "Lost" with any other name because it fits her so well. (I know that the character's full name is Katherine, but still.) And that's a common spelling of a common name. She's certainly not any less unique or memorable because of it.

Neither dh nor I have top anything names. I think maybe mine was in the top 30 one year a long, long time ago. But, I do occasionally meet someone, other than my mother whom I was named for, with my name. However, every single one I have met goes by a nickname and I do not...I only respond to the whole enchilada. So, it does sound unique.

Dh, I've known three other men through the years with the same first name and we've lived in Michigan, Oregon, Indiana, and Florida, so I don't think it's a regional thing. It just wasn't too popular.

The names we liked for our children weren't near the top either. DD has never meant another person with her name. She's 20. I keep expecting it to happen, but so far, not. Ds #1 has met only one boy with his name and a shortened nickname version is what the young man went by. Ds #2 has never met any boy with his name and one adult male - a man who briefly dated my sister - and then DS #3 is probably the closest to a popular name and we've known only one other person with his first name.

As a teacher, I can say that it was not fun to have seventy-three 3rd and 4th graders in my children's choir and that year I had 5 Tylers, 4 Hannahs, etc. I think it was kind of old/tiresome for the kids to have to be called by their first and last names EVERYWHERE they went in school...even their friends had to use their full names on the playground. It's feels very formal.

My friend Mary says she was named Mary during a time when every third girl was Mary. I assume that's an exagerration, but I know she does not appreciate her name and goes exclusively by "Mia". She's even considered legally changing her name.

Ultimately, I think if you really love the name then you use it. Maybe give the baby a less common middle name that she could switch to as an adult if her first name vexed her.

Faith

No, I wouldn't. My husband really likes a top 10 name, but I vetoed it for our last daughter even though I really like it too. I had a top 10 name, and there is nothing like being one of 4 or 5 girls in your group (church, school, etc.) that has the same name. One year at church camp, literally half of the girls in my year had the same name as me. It was nuts. In High School, my friends just called my by my last name and skipped my first name all together in order to avoid confusion. So no, I wouldn't, unless I could seriously not come up with any other name or if I had a good reason other than "I like it," like a namesake or something.

ETA: When we were researching names, though, I did look at the percentage of the population named a top ten name. For example, according to the Social Security website, the number 10 name in 1985, Megan, was 1.084% of the population of baby girls. However, in 2010, the number 10 name, Mia, was .543% of the population. So even though it is a top 10 name, it is a lot less popular than past top ten names. The number ten name in 2010 was the same percentage as name number 33 (Andrea) in 1985.

Edited by MeaganS

No, I would not pick a popular name on purpose. I picked what I thought was an unusual first name for my DD (before I had internet access). Her name has been very popular (in the top 5) ever since.

We went to the playground in our small town when she was 2. There were 3 other girls from infant to 4 years old there who had her first name. The infant also had her middle name. So much for unusual.

When she was in middle school, her best friend had the same name. I should have named her Octavia, which I wanted to do, but everyone hated that name. I have never met anyone named Octavia.

My boys have names that have always been popular; I call them white bread names. They were chosen on purpose by DH and I after DH shot down every unusual name I came up with. Even my dog has the #1 most popular name for 2010 -- the kids named him, and they consulted Irish name lists because is one of the four Irish terrier breeds. There are little boys named Aidan (probably spelled Aiden) everywhere I go!

According to http://howmanyofme.com/ , there is only one person in the U.S. with my mother's first name. In contrast, there are 76,541 people with DD's first name, 842,000 with DS1's name, 5.2 million with DS2's name, and 846,000 with DS3's name.

Edited by RoughCollie

No, I would not pick a popular name on purpose. I picked what I thought was an unusual first name for my DD (before I had internet access).

We went to the playground in our small town when she was 2. There were 3 other girls from infant to 4 years old there who had her first name. The infant also had her middle name. So much for unusual.

When she was in middle school, her best friend had the same name. It is popular. I should have named her Octavia, which I wanted to do, but everyone hated that name. I have never met anyone named Octavia.

My boys have names that have always been common; I call them white bread names. They were chosen on purpose by DH and I after DH shot down every unusual name I came up with. Even my dog has the 12th most popular name for 2009 -- the kids named him, and they consulted Irish name lists because is one of the four Irish terrier breeds. There are little boys named Aidan everywhere!

According to http://howmanyofme.com/ , there is only one person in the U.S. with my mother's first name.

In contrast, there are 76,541 people with DD's first name, 842,000 with DS1's name, 5.2 million with DS2's name, and 846,000 with DS3's name.

Sooooo much in common with this post. I had no Internet when my teen was born and picked a name I hadn't heard in years. We run into LOTS of younger little girls with my daughter's name. She does have an unusual middle name and a last name she will always have to spell even though it is spelled just like it sounds :-/

One of DDs friends is an Octavia who goes by Tavia. Her twin is Xavier.

We also went through Irish names for our dog. He is Duncan. It goes with our McLastname. There can be only one!

We choose names based on a bunch of factors that we use to whittle down the list in the days leading up to a birth. One of the factors is rareness. The name of our first-born, Max, seems to have gained slightly in popularity since we chose it, and in fact last year he encountered another Max at his school. We still haven't met another Oscar.

I rarely meet an American Oscar, but I have known MANY Hispanic boys/men named Oscar. It seems more popular in Spanish than in English.

Okay, so those of you who have a super popular name... I have heard that names are no longer as common. Even the #1 name is way less common than #1 names used to be because so many people name their kids crazy stuff. Do you think that is true? Hmmm. Why does everyone else have to like the same stuff I do??

I have also read this.

My son ended up with a popular name. (It wasn't popular till I named him that). So what I did for my youngest was research trends in names. So I picked a very popular name from 30 years ago. So he has meet people with his name, but they have all been 30 or older.

Funny, I never run into Jennifer's at all now. However, I know lots of Emily's, Emma's, Ava's, Savannah's, and Sophia's.

I know so many Jen's we started renaming them years ago. One (who was kind of odd) was named Libra since that was her sign. Then we devised a pattern.

Jennifer last name starting with a M. was named... JenM

Jennifer last name starting with a S. was named... JenS

Another Jennifer went by her last name.

A extended family member has a sister named Jen, and he ended up marrying a woman named Jen. So there was two Jen. (same last name) in the family.