Menu

Duck, duck, goose OR Duck, duck, gray duck?

I've lived in 8 states in the South and West, and I've never heard of your way. It was always Duck, Duck, Goose.

ETA: It is funny that this would come up. Whenever people talk about "unsocialized" homeschoolers, I always think back to one of the first acquaintances I had who was homeschooled. We were 12 and she had never heard of the game Duck, Duck, Goose and I remember thinking that it was so weird. I always think that if that is the worse of the socialization issue, then homeschooling doesn't have a lot against it.

Edited by MeaganS

I am a MN transplant, and I still giggle every time I hear kids playing duck, duck, gray duck. :lol: We are definitely unsocialized in our family. When my kids are asked to play duck, duck, gray duck they ALWAYS look puzzled and turn to me with a "what in the world are they talking about?" expression. I taught them duck, duck, goose so of course they are the normal admist the abnormal.

We're from Montana but lived in Minnesota for 8 years. Montana is goose and grey duck always grated on my nerves! There were quite a few other words that were different too. It always amazed me how two rural states could be so different!

gray duck!!!! Hahaha. You are bringing back memories for me. (Grew up in Minnesota).

The fun thing about that version is you can have all kinds of ducks. So you can go duck, duck, red duck, silly duck, tall duck, green duck, gray duck!

(Though I kind of admit that duck duck goose makes more sense...)

Goose. I'm a Minnesotan, and I never heard 'gray duck' until 2 years ago. Maybe it is different in Northern MN cuz that's where I grew up. :confused: Hubby is from central MN, I'll have to ask when he gets home. Honestly, I just thought the neighbor that taught my kids was loony. (pun intended;))

Supposedly we Minnesotan's are the only ones that say "Duck, duck, gray duck" for the game that everyone else plays as Duck, duck goose.

How do YOU know the game and what state or country do you live in?

I've lived all over the country and never heard Grey Duck until this thread. Sorry, Minnesota, you're just wrong.

I grew up in northern MN, in International Falls, and we said gray duck. Dh grew up in Duluth, and he had never heard of grey duck before I asked him about it.

So yeah, it seems to be a phenomenon limited to just certain parts of the state. Strange.

And we're not wrong. Our duck is just special.

ETA: Looked at the wiki, and here's what I found:

This variation, by all accounts, is only played in Minnesota.[2] This version adds an element to the game by introducing the placement of adjectives before nouns. So, as the game is played the person that is "it" walks around the circle tapping heads he will name say what color the other players are. For example, "red duck", "blue duck", "yellow duck", etc., but when a player is called a gray duck, he gets up and chases the person who is "it". Often, the Mush Pot version of play is included in Duck, Duck, Gray Duck.

And where I grew up, we did use the Mush Pot version:

A group of people sit in a circle facing inward. One person is "it" and walks around the circle. As he walks around, he taps players' heads and say whether the player is a "duck" or a "goose". When a player is called a goose, he gets up and chases "it" around the circle, possibly running multiple laps around the circle. The goal is to tag that person before he is able to sit down in the "goose's" spot. If the "goose" is not able to do this, he become "it" for the next round and play continues. If the person who is "it" is tagged, he has to sit in the center of the circle (the "Mush Pot" or "Stew Pot" or "Cookie Jar"). Then the "goose" becomes "it" for the next round. The person in the middle can't leave until another person is tagged and he is replaced.

I studied Anthropology (along with Lit) in college, and I have to say, I find this weirdly fascinating.

Edited by Mergath

Supposedly we Minnesotan's are the only ones that say "Duck, duck, gray duck" for the game that everyone else plays as Duck, duck goose.

NC. We have Duck, Duck, Goose. However, I used to teach a class in a kindergarten afterschool program. We started inventing our own versions. Some favorites:

• Hamburger, Hamburger, Cheese

• Pizza, Pizza, Pepperoni

• Lion, Lion, Tiger

• etc

I grew up in northern MN, in International Falls, and we said gray duck. Dh grew up in Duluth, and he had never heard of grey duck before I asked him about it.

So yeah, it seems to be a phenomenon limited to just certain parts of the state. Strange.

Very funny! I grew up in Hibbing. (we played goose as I said earlier) Dh grew up in Willmar and he played gray duck.

Duck, duck goose. I'm from NYS, and I've lived in NC for 13 years. I've never heard of duck, duck, gray duck.

It was goose in western NY state.

My kid went to summer camp in Minnesota and they played gray duck; he got turned around and called out Grey Goose! Great. Now they probably think he comes from a family of boozers. :)

:lol: :lol:

I would like to formally register my opinion that a moderate amount of Grey Goose intake does not make one a boozer. :tongue_smilie: