Menu

Warning rant - junior size girls clothes!

Guest Barb B

My oldest is only not-quite-seven, so we're not into junior clothes yet, but I feel your pain. It is so hard to find affordable, modest, attractive clothes for girls these days. We had the toughest time finding jeans, as well as tops that didn't have writing on them (my pet peeve, sorry).

I have found some decent things at Walmart, depending on when we go. It's hit or miss there, at least in this area. Sometimes the clothes look like "Hooker Central," at other times they are pretty and sweet. I can't figure it out.

For skirts, what you do is find a simple skirt pattern you can manage, fabric that doesn't have stripes or plaid ;) and SEW. Skirts are simple, and your 14 year old can learn to whip one up in an afternoon, if she learns to sew. I just made a lovely 3-tiered navy skirt for my daughter, and she looks good in it. A skirt, a top, and she's set for church. I have no idea what modest 14 year olds are wearing these days. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. :grouphug:

OH - she is so hard to fit - she is tall - and a very small waist. we have found it truly has to be a juniors size - even women petites are big. I don't think lands end has juniors. Most of the time girls size 16 is too short. I will look - ll bean will have to have juniors if it will work.

I could try Delias - they always seem a bit, well - like she should stand on a street corner - if you know what I mean!

Going to try the target brand of jeans tomorrow. As far as church - we are stuck wearing one dress she found at kohl's this summer - and wearing a short sleeve sweater with it. . . but she has grown a bit and its getting short.

I just can't believe how many mini, mini skirts there are!

Barb

I feel for you, we are there with one of ours. In fact both my girls. The older one wore GAP slim size 16 or 18 which had to be ordered online. They were regular dark wash, nice shape. This gave the length and still had the adjustable waist. This dd is now a senior in PS and wears size 1 from Old Navy that I sew elastic into. the next dd we found juniors size 0 at Kohls. Surprisingly they were called "super low cut" but weren't. They fit well.

GOOD LUCK

Not sure what size you need, but we were in Old Navy the other night and they had really cute long sweaters to pair with colored leggings. Long sweaters that came just a little above the knee on DD10. I also have seen cute sweater dresses to wear with leggings too.

As far as jeans - forget it. We spent 3 days shopping for jeans for DD10. She is between sizes and we could not find anything that fit, though again Old Navy had some nice boot cut jeans with a medioum rise that would have worked if they had fit. We finally ended up buying mostly leggings and long sweatshirts to go with them.

I went into Aeropostale the other day and was really surprised. They are a GOOD jeans source! Sure, they have jeggings and super tight stuff. But they also have a "curvy" line that is not curvy at all (trust me, I have zero curves in the hip/thigh department and they fit me great) -- they are just NOT skin tight! The curvy flare jeans are awesome. Not bell bottoms, just a little flared. The curvy straight ones might be good, too. They have size 0, so I think they're probably in the "juniors" category? You might try the regular jeans too, if the "curvy" ones aren't lean enough (just not the jeggings/skinny lines). Anyway, they were having a sale -- $18 for jeans, which is a great price for nice jeans. I'd check them out!

I have trouble finding jeans and clothes in general. I'm 5'4 and I wear a juniors 7. I agree all the jeans are "destroyed" or skinny or bell bottoms.

I finally have resorted to men's jeans. I wear a 29x30 but have lost a little weight and am going to need a smaller waist size. Maybe she would try the boys' section for jeans? I'm a girly girl- so I wouldn't suggest it if it made me look like a guy.

My JCPenney store has a rack of inexpensive black dress pants in juniors sizes. They are nice.

I'm small and struggle with finding appropriate clothing. Juniors are not for me but petites tend to look like something my grandma would wear. I just bought a simple brown canvas skirt at Kohl's in the women's section.

Sorry. Shopping can be frustrating.

I've mostly moved to buying my 14yo adult clothes, as the Junior sections just look soooo trashy to me. She can still fit into the Size 14 kids stuff she had already, but for new stuff, I am just shopping in the adult sections.

For business/formal attire, she fits in a Size 4 Petite (she's 5'3ish and just under 100#, is between womanly and girly in her body shape), and for casual wear a size XS (or even a S if they run small/tight) womens.

A few days ago I was looking at running shorts at Target for her, and held up a Size XL kids (so 14-16) to a XS Womens and they were nearly identical in waist and leg length. Likewise, I got her an XS womens sports bra and it fit great.

The Petite sizes help with the leg length if she is still not full height (or, say, at least 5'4). When dd was doing Youth in Govt last spring, I bought her all womens petites so that the blouse length would be right, b/c the regular womens stuff had too long sleeves. For things that are less exacting in sizes, I don't worry about the petites.

I can't afford to spend much money there, but Hanna Andersson has lots of dresses, etc. for girls. I really like the image they project in their catalog (happy, healthy-looking kids; no skankiness), and the items we have purchased are well-made. Their size 160cm is for girls 62-66 inches tall and 88-110 lbs. Is that any help?

I shop at Goodwill and other thrift/consignment stores for my DD1 because I can NEVER find decent shorts to fit her. The bermudas that were popular a few years ago keep her covered but booty shorts were back in this year so I had to resort to secondhand stores. I'd try there for good jeans, etc!

My girls were leggings and babydoll dresses with boots to church a lot!

I've found that 90% of any given store is useless for one reason or another, but there are some cute things out there if you look at the other 10%. I second Aero for junior-size jeans. Just get them on sale - we got $50 ones for $7 a while back. Gap and Old Navy, along with the mall tween stores (Aero, etc.) are other good sources. Just don't get turned off by the crazy stuff you don't want - look closely and you'll find pieces that work.

For skirts, sew them, thrift them, or pay someone to sew them for you - Etsy is bound to have some good options. Several times we've found cute ones in larger sizes at the thrift, and put an elastic waist in the top to make them fit. (That way you can have all the embellishment without the labor of creating it.) Certain styles of skirt are very easy to sew. Just make sure you choose something within the range of your ability.

I went into Aeropostale the other day and was really surprised. They are a GOOD jeans source!

:iagree:

My dd, who is average size but tall, finds jeans at Aero and also at American Eagle. Currently, her favorite pair is from Eddie Bauer, though.

astrid

My daughter is wearing size 4 Lee brand.

Mine too. We just hit Goodwill on Friday and had good luck. She found a pair of size 4 Lee that looked SO CUTE on her. She also tried on a pair of Charlotte Russ and like them better because they were slightly longer. Don't know where you'd find those in the regular store though. Next time I can't find any I will look for Lee, those might be at Sears? Or WalMart? Not sure.

You might have to look for some skirts in the womens area of thrift stores so you can get them cheaper, then have them altered. I would bet a small alteration job would be cheap on top of an inexpensive skirt. Do you have any friends that can help you take a tuck in a skirt? It's pretty simple, really.

I found a long sweater dress for dd at WalMart that she will pair with leggings. I think at her height that is what she will have to do all winter! Good thing it's in style!

What I hate are the Junior shirts. They are all meant to be layered, but I don't particularly like the look. All the tshirts are super deep v-neck and they fall off her shoulder. I just hate it.

Thanks ladies1 Problem is we all have to deal with the stores themselves having a terrible selection - and then we have to deal with teen daughters! Now, can't remember, I think it was in American Eagle. I thought the pair of jeans she tried were good - but know - too flared at the bottom:glare: I wanted to say - look they aren't skinny jeans, they aren't destroyed, they are so low they show your bottom. . . . but no, she still feels the need to be picky about a little flare at the ankle!

Anyone try target brand jeans ("mossimo" I think)? We did get a skirt last year at JCpenneys - women's small so was and still is too big around the waist - so, I am going to wash it and dry it so as to try to shrink it! If I ruin it - oh well, she isn't going to wear it too big - so might as well try! I will wash on warm and dry on hot. Probably a mistake. . . but I am desperate. I mean she can't wear a sleeveless dress with a short sleeve sweater all winter (even in Texas!).

Barb

OHH - Did I tell you all - she hates leggins. Can't say I blame her. . .

Mine too. We just hit Goodwill on Friday and had good luck. She found a pair of size 4 Lee that looked SO CUTE on her. She also tried on a pair of Charlotte Russ and like them better because they were slightly longer. Don't know where you'd find those in the regular store though. Next time I can't find any I will look for Lee, those might be at Sears? Or WalMart? Not sure.

Charlotte Russe is its own brand, sold at its own stores. http://www.charlotterusse.com/home/index.jsp

Our Target has jeans for $12 right now. Not sure if that is in every store but it's worth checking out. They had different fits to choose from. We had to try on several pairs but eventually found some that would work.

I like some of the clothes at Justice but you have to pick and choose with what you feel is appropriate. I have always been happy with the way their jeans fit the girls but they do come at a price.

Thanks ladies1 Problem is we all have to deal with the stores themselves having a terrible selection - and then we have to deal with teen daughters! Now, can't remember, I think it was in American Eagle. I thought the pair of jeans she tried were good - but know - too flared at the bottom:glare: I wanted to say - look they aren't skinny jeans, they aren't destroyed, they are so low they show your bottom. . . . but no, she still feels the need to be picky about a little flare at the ankle!

Maybe because she's 14 years old and wants to have some choice in the clothes she wears?

Do you remember being her age? Did your parents still pick out your clothes?

Every generation (hers, yours, your mother's, etc) has its own style ~ you might not like the stuff she likes, but you're not the one wearing it.

(I have a 14 year old daughter too)

Gap has size 0 and you can get normal jeans as well as nice black pants. As for dresses or skirts Old Navy had skirts that went to the knee (above) which look cute with leggings. We found a nice long black skirt at New York and Co (or is it New Yorker, I can never remember :tongue_smilie: some store at the mall). I normally don't like their clothes, but the skirt was perfect for orchestra. The skirt has an elastic waist and came in XS.

I have found that if we shop around we can find stuff. But it takes work.

I never did the junior dept. with my girls. They skipped straight to women's just to be able to find modest clothes. (and that was 15 YEARS ago, I'd imagine it's even worse now.) the fact 2dd skipped from kid height to adult height (and kept going), helped.

cataloges are good. You can get short/petite women's jeans that are actually "jeans", in smaller sizes that can fit a 'tween.

I know the feeling. My 14yo is almost 5'8" and a small, small waist She is not quiet big enough on top for regular women's clothing, but we have had luck in the misses department. Also, I hate to say it, but Walmart has been a good source for jeans and shirts.

If I could afford it I would buy all her clothes through Lands End. I am very impressed with their clothing and coverage.

My oldest and youngest have had a lot of difficulty finding jeans. They are both quite curvy. Sears Canyon River Blues fit them perfectly but they skip straight from girl's size 16 to women's size 5. They've had some success with SO jeans from Kohl's, but they can't wear them without a belt. My youngest has also had some success with jeans from Delia's. That's an expensive store, but she doesn't need very many at one time.

UGH? We can't even find jeans. THey are skinny, jeggins - no thank you. Then there is ripped ones - not. Then there are ones like bell bottoms!! Honestly the poor girl is down to one pair that fits and if she grows just a bit - they will be "floods"! Now, let me move on to - WHAT DO WE GET HER TO WEAR To CHURCH! Really, for those of you like us, that don't wear jeans to church (not like it would help if we did, cause we can't find any!) what do your about 14 year old girls wear? We can't even find black pants (well - there are leggins and sweat pants) or even black jeans that we could dress up. Or how about a simple black skirt - oh one that doesn't show her underwear please!

OK I feel better now. So, if you found a decent place to shop - let me know!

Barb

I feel your pain. My 14 year old wears size 3 jeans but is outgrowing her 'C' cup bras. Ack!! It's a nightmare!

For a while we could get dd jeans at Kohls - Angel brand only, but you have to watch as some are too distressed or have holes ---which I don't mind for sometimes but other times I want a nicer look for her. They have 00 and 0 and are made slimmer in the waist/butt than some others. Aeropostle, Lands End, Old Navy, Gap have always been a no go --- to get the 00 or 0 they were too short or too wide in the legs.

Starting last spring we have moved to American Eagle jeans only --we've tried others but they don't work. AE has various leg and waist styles so if you found a size that fit then you might ask the sales clerk for various styles. We have always found them very helpful.

For dresses and skirts we've had the best luck at Kohl's 'although we've found a few at Belks and Penny's. Since a lot of dresses and tops are sleeveless dd has various "sweaters" (they aren't really what I'd call a sweater like I wear, but thinner some long sleeve and some short sleeve in various weights) that she puts over her dresses or tops for church. I am sure some would think a few of her dresses were too short (as in they are more than 2 inches above knees) but she's 5'9 - 15 yo - super skinny - so options aren't abundant as long as they are tasteful and don't show her hinny I'm fine with them.

Maybe because she's 14 years old and wants to have some choice in the clothes she wears?

Do you remember being her age? Did your parents still pick out your clothes?

Every generation (hers, yours, your mother's, etc) has its own style ~ you might not like the stuff she likes, but you're not the one wearing it.

(I have a 14 year old daughter too)

Oh - I didn't mean that! SHe and I agree mostly - the clothes of her generation are bad - slutty actually. So it is not like she wants to wear whats out there and I don't let her. We both go from store to store agreeing - the stuff is terrible! We both hate the skirts and dresses out there - why oh why would one want to wear something that is barely below the underwear line! And neither of us get the idea of wearing something short and putting leggins with it - really , they are leggings - almost like going naked so why bother! We both agree leggins look stupid!

Going to TJ MAXX - cause we haven't been there. And back to target - for jeans. I know someone said they fall apart or something - but she is 14 and isn't really hard on jeans (like my 8 yr old son is!)

Barb

UGH? We can't even find jeans. THey are skinny, jeggins - no thank you. Then there is ripped ones - not. Then there are ones like bell bottoms!! Honestly the poor girl is down to one pair that fits and if she grows just a bit - they will be "floods"! Now, let me move on to - WHAT DO WE GET HER TO WEAR To CHURCH! Really, for those of you like us, that don't wear jeans to church (not like it would help if we did, cause we can't find any!) what do your about 14 year old girls wear? We can't even find black pants (well - there are leggins and sweat pants) or even black jeans that we could dress up. Or how about a simple black skirt - oh one that doesn't show her underwear please!

OK I feel better now. So, if you found a decent place to shop - let me know!

Barb

Lands End, LLBean and sometimes we make out okay at Target or JC Pennys. You can even look up Land End/school and look at school uniform skirts and pants that have modest cuts.

You might check christopher & banks. They are running a huge 50% off sale right now. My daughter is only 11, is 5ft. 4" and wears a ladies size 6'ish. Finding appropriate clothing is really hard! She found a pair of jeans that were really cute with a slight boot cut and they fit at the natural waist. They ended up being $15 bucks, I think!

JC Penney also has a brand that are "normal" jeans, not skinny, not super flared and fit at the natural waist.

OH - she is so hard to fit - she is tall - and a very small waist. we have found it truly has to be a juniors size - even women petites are big. I don't think lands end has juniors. Most of the time girls size 16 is too short. I will look - ll bean will have to have juniors if it will work.

I could try Delias - they always seem a bit, well - like she should stand on a street corner - if you know what I mean!

Going to try the target brand of jeans tomorrow. As far as church - we are stuck wearing one dress she found at kohl's this summer - and wearing a short sleeve sweater with it. . . but she has grown a bit and its getting short.

I just can't believe how many mini, mini skirts there are!

Barb

I have a tall 10 y.o. and found the Land's End jeans to be the best. The waist can be adjusted, they have slims, and they are very simple. Target was a total bomb for her. As for church clothes, I have no answer. Jeans is as far as I have gotten.

Now that my dd is past the length of the girls' size Children's Place and Land's End pants, we can't find anything, either. I really do feel her pain, as I'm below Misses sizes in width myself (40, 4 kids, still no curves). Dd is 12, with a 20" waist, and 5'4" and growing, all gangly arms and legs. We went to 4 Goodwills and 2 Salvation Armys last week and netted one pair of pants that fit me, none for her. Some 0s are still much too wide for her, but 16s are always too short (some junior pants are, too). Kohls had some 0 longs that we could put two of her into the waist, but the legs were so tight, she needed me to pull them off, spurring her to ask WHO that particular pair of pants was made for, as her legs are VERY skinny, and someone with a waist who fit would likely have more proportionate legs.

I've always had issues with trying to find non-faded, non-ripped pants. When I find some that fit, I've been known to buy out the store and stockpile them, but I've run out of backups and am so dreading replacing them now that we're finally needing long pants. I have 3 pairs that fit and aren't frayed or stained, and two are jeans.

You might check christopher & banks. They are running a huge 50% off sale right now. My daughter is only 11, is 5ft. 4" and wears a ladies size 6'ish. Finding appropriate clothing is really hard! She found a pair of jeans that were really cute with a slight boot cut and they fit at the natural waist. They ended up being $15 bucks, I think!

JC Penney also has a brand that are "normal" jeans, not skinny, not super flared and fit at the natural waist.

BUt Christopher banks has no teens - if anything dd is a oo in women's and good luck finding that. As far as JC Penney - we went there today and found 1 pair that I think she will out grow real soon - they are kids size 16 regular. It was the only one in the store. So will wait to see if they fit after washing? I don't know.

I just don't get it. We tried TJ MAXX and JCpenneys and target today. How many jeans must we try on. She has 2 here - one from spring that are getting too short but she will wear because there is nothing else. And the pair we got today - that I think once washed will shrink (must remember to wash them on cold and tumble dry low!). At least we found a pair of black pants that will work with a long sleeved top for church.

UGH

Barb

I was 5'10 as a teen and short waisted. I love mens Levis jeans. They look the exact same as the girls jeans but you can actually get them to fit the waist and leg. You can actually find 24 or 26 in the waist and 30-32 in length. They also last forever and look decent.