Menu

Do you have long fingernails or short?

Long nails or short?  

1. 1. Long nails or short?

• Long nails
    • Short nails
    • Other, (though I'm afraid to ask)

I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes....

I've kept my nails short since first homeschooling. But I'd like to grow them out again. I was worried that long nails would get in the way of all the messy projects that homeschooling entails. Sculpture with clay for one thing. I often have to help my kids out. So, what says the hive? Do you have long and manage? Or short?

:bigear:

I have short nails (can't play piano with long) and I prefer the look of short. Long nails (longer than 1/4" past the finger tips or so) kinda gross me out because I wonder what might be lurking under them. :tongue_smilie: Really long nails (1"+ past the finger tips) definitely gross me out. *shudder* They also seem terribly impractical....

Mine are always short. But I have to remember to let the nails on my left index finger and thumb stay a little longer, because I need them when I want to change the jewelry in my nostril piercing. Oops, was that TMI? Is it impolite to talk about sticking fingers in noses? Sorry. :tongue_smilie:

(I'm annoyed right now, because yesterday I wanted to switch out my sparkly for a tiny gold ball, but I can't do it until my thumb nail grows a little more. :lol:)

Short.

I play piano. I use the computer. I do dishes by hand (no dishwasher). I do art. I get out in nature. I get active. I do projects with my dd. I would totally RUIN long nails, not to mention I don't like the look of them, the *feel* of them, or the notion of them.

My fun friends have short nails. It just seems so high maintenance to have them long and polished. It would feel like a little prison for my hands, because I'd feel like I couldn't do anything.

Short.

I play piano. I use the computer. I do dishes by hand (no dishwasher). I do art. I get out in nature. I get active. I do projects with my dd. I would totally RUIN long nails, not to mention I don't like the look of them, the *feel* of them, or the notion of them.

My fun friends have short nails. It just seems so high maintenance to have them long and polished. It would feel like a little prison for my hands, because I'd feel like I couldn't do anything.

This is pretty much how I've felt all along. But thought I was missing out on what I used to have. I guess I've made a trade off, long nails for an active homeschooling lifestyle. :tongue_smilie:

Short.

Exactly. I love to work in my garden. No way do I want to deal with long nails.

My nail length is commensurate with how busy I am. They're extremely strong and quick-growing, so they get very long before I know it. When I have lots of time on my hands, I keep them trimmed. When I'm busy though, that's the first thing that goes. My nails are scrupulously clean though, no matter the length. That's what fingernail brushes are for, and I use them!

Short.

My mother has beautiful hands and has always had longer nails. Not really long but enough. She's also very active, always gardening or crafting or whatever.

I don't think longer nails hamper that, they just require more care. Granted, I'm not talking about nails more then maybe a quarter inch past the end of her fingers.

I put short, but really my nails would have to grow out a week or so to be called short. I cut them all the way to the skin. Dirty nails are one of my ick issues. And the shorter the nails are trimmed the less dirt can get in them and the easier they are to keep clean. Yes, we wash hands, but I tend to associate nails with dirt and it grosses me out.

I voted short, but mine are slightly long compared to other people I know who have really short nails. I have a nice millimeter + of white at the top there and I keep that. Long enough to have a little something and be slightly annoying in the garden, but not long enough to get in the way for typing, crafting, sewing, or anything else.

Right now, some of each. :glare: They grow long, then one breaks, then another, then another, so I cut them short so to match. Then they grow, (and I feel pretty for a while because I like long nails.) Then one breaks, then another, then another....

:lol::lol: Me too. :tongue_smilie: I like how my nails look a little long, but I am not too careful with them and then they break. Usually my thumbs and forefingers have shortish nails that I am trying to grow out. :D

I have three with some decent length - nothing clawish.

I have three in between.

I have four that are broken down to nothing. One actually hurt two days ago because it was too short.

I can't grow more than a quarter inch before they break. Soon my long ones will break to nothing and I'll trim them all the same and try again.

I can't stand long nails!!

I do paint my toenails in the spring and summer. I don't really do anything to my fingernails.

I am with you on this, Mrs. Mungo! I paint my toenails year round, though, because it doesn't get all that cold for very long here. I like plain, short nails on hands. Long nails give me the creeps.

Mine are always short. But I have to remember to let the nails on my left index finger and thumb stay a little longer, because I need them when I want to change the jewelry in my nostril piercing. Oops, was that TMI? Is it impolite to talk about sticking fingers in noses? Sorry. :tongue_smilie:

(I'm annoyed right now, because yesterday I wanted to switch out my sparkly for a tiny gold ball, but I can't do it until my thumb nail grows a little more. :lol:)

:lol: OMG, that was laugh out loud funny!! Only those of us with nose rings can possibly understand the difficulty! I take it you have one of the type that screw into a back piece? I switched to a one piece type long back and like it much better. But I never change mine!

I have short nails (can't play piano with long) and I prefer the look of short. Long nails (longer than 1/4" past the finger tips or so) kinda gross me out because I wonder what might be lurking under them. :tongue_smilie: Really long nails (1"+ past the finger tips) definitely gross me out. *shudder* They also seem terribly impractical....

:iagree: I get really squicked out when our server in a restaurant has long fake nails. Totally TMI and disgusting but there is no way they can possibly wipe in a sanitary way after going to the bathroom. Sorry.

I used to keep medium-long nails in high school, college, and right after. Always a nice shape and color. Then I had my first baby. Haven't had long nails ever since. I didn't have the time, but the main reason was not to scratch him and not to worry about what got stuck under those nails! LOL

Sometimes I'm envious when I see other women with pretty nails. I might try to grow them and keep them filed, but it never lasts more than a week. Shorter is cleaner and does look good.

Short.

1. I'm a martial artist, and it's difficult to make a proper fist with longer nails.

2. I used to work in a hospital, and hygiene training (mandatory for all employees of all ranks on a regular basis) was clear on the connection between nail length and disease transmission.

:lol: OMG, that was laugh out loud funny!! Only those of us with nose rings can possibly understand the difficulty! I take it you have one of the type that screw into a back piece? I switched to a one piece type long back and like it much better. But I never change mine!

:D

I have a titanium Neometal threadless (pressure-fit) labret, and I think it's fantastic! :001_wub:

This is a picture of how they work. The dark blue part is the switchable part. And here's a link that shows many of the types of ends you can get for it.

I change the end frequently...well, at least I do when I don't forget and cut my nails too short. Someday I want to try a ring, but my piercing is only 2 months old, so I'm gonna let it heal a while longer.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but here goes....

I've kept my nails short since first homeschooling. But I'd like to grow them out again. I was worried that long nails would get in the way of all the messy projects that homeschooling entails. Sculpture with clay for one thing. I often have to help my kids out. So, what says the hive? Do you have long and manage? Or short?

:bigear:

I said other. Normally, they are a medium length (3-5mm), but I will cut them down to 1mm when they start to split or the edges crack. I can grow my nails out very easily and I have very sturdy nails, so it doesn't bother to chop them off every now and then. I do a lot of work with my hands, and I don't usually have problems with breaking nails. I wear gloves to do garden work or farm chores or do the household cleaning. I manage just fine.

FWIW, I love the look of dark polish on short nails, but I think it's OTT on longer nails. So, sometimes I just chop all the nails short just so I can wear a sassy dark nail polish.