Menu

May we do a pumpkin recipes thread?

I'll start. These are delicious hot and cooled. I used Penzey's baking spice. This would be great with chili or a waldorf salad with dried cranberries in it. Or breakfast. Just sweet and rich enough you don't need to put anything on it. (However, apricot jam is delicious).

http://www.breadexperience.com/biscuit-recipe.html

I love pumpkins. What do you do with them?

I just made this Pumpkin Mac and Cheese the other day for dinner. Despite being pretty skeptical, Dh loved it and my picky eaters finished theirs too. We're used to the processed, boxed stuff (which I'm trying to move us away from) so everyone thought it needed a bit more salt. But it made the house smell awesome and it really tasted good!

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pasta/pumpkin-mac-and-cheese/

North Pole Pumpkin Cookies a.k.a. Pumpkin/Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I found this recipe about 20 years ago in my college newspaper. It had won a contest. These are the best!

1/2 cup raw brown sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup butter

1 cup canned pumpkin

1 tsp. vanilla

1 egg

2 cups flour

1 tsp. EACH of baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup chocolate chips (I use 2 cups)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix raw sugar, brown sugar, and butter; set aside. Mix pumpkin, egg, and vanilla; set aside. Stir together flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Combine sugar, pumpkin and flour mixtures; blend well. Stir in chocolate chips. Grease cookie sheets with butter wrappers. Drop by teaspoonsful on sheet and bake 10-12 minutes.

I just made this Pumpkin Mac and Cheese the other day for dinner. Despite being pretty skeptical, Dh loved it and my picky eaters finished theirs too. We're used to the processed, boxed stuff (which I'm trying to move us away from) so everyone thought it needed a bit more salt. But it made the house smell awesome and it really tasted good!

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/pasta/pumpkin-mac-and-cheese/

This sounds so good for my picky pumpkins but the link will only work for registered users.....can you post the recipe directly here?

Good ... but calorie laden. Use at your own discretion. ;)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

4 eggs

2 c sugar

16 oz pumpkin

1 tsp vanilla extract

1-1/4 cups oil (vegetable, coconut, etc)

3 c flour

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp baking powder

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp salt

12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used this much only once and since then use about 6-8 oz and they are plenty chocolatey)

Mix it all up in the mixer. Fold in the chips by hand. The mini chips are the best. Bake at 400 for 15-20 min, makes a couple dozen.

I have also done her "healthy" remake version of these pumpkin muffins a few times already, and they are fantastic. A dozen disappears rapidly here.

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/10/13/recipe-conection-one-bowl-pumpkin-breadmuffins/

Edited by WeeBeaks

This sounds so good for my picky pumpkins but the link will only work for registered users.....can you post the recipe directly here?

Pumpkin Mac and Cheese

ingredients

2 cups dried elbow macaroni (8 ounces)

2 Tbsp. butter

2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. ground black pepper

1 cup whipping cream

1 cup whole milk

4 oz. Fontina cheese, shredded (1 cup)

1 15-oz. can pumpkin

1 Tbsp. snipped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp. dried leaf sage, crushed

½ cup soft bread crumbs

½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

1/3 cup chopped walnuts

1 Tbsp. olive oil

Sage leaves (optional)

directions

1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pasta in a large pot following package directions. Drain cooked pasta, then return to pot.

2.For cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add whipping cream and milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in cheese, pumpkin, and sage until cheese is melted. Stir cheese sauce into pasta to coat. Transfer macaroni and cheese to an ungreased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.

3.In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, walnuts, and oil; sprinkle over pasta. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with sage leaves.

nutrition facts

• Servings Per Recipe 8 (3/4 cup) side-dish servings

• Calories409

• Total Fat (g)26

• Saturated Fat (g)14,

• Monounsaturated Fat (g)8,

• Polyunsaturated Fat (g)4,

• Cholesterol (mg)73,

• Sodium (mg)403,

• Carbohydrate (g)32,

• Total Sugar (g)5,

• Fiber (g)3,

• Protein (g)13,

• Vitamin C (DV%)5,

• Calcium (DV%)22,

• Iron (DV%)12,

• Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Pecan Pumpkin Crisp

• 1-cup evaporated milk
  • 1-cup sugar
  • 15 ounce can pumpkin
  • 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 package butter-flavored, yellow cake mix (18.25 ounce)
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together the first five ingredients. Pour into a lightly greased 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle cake mix evenly over butter mixture. Evenly sprinkle pecans over cake mix. Drizzle butter evenly over pecans. Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown. Cover with aluminum foil after 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Pumpkin Bread

Ingredients:

5 eggs

1 ¼ cup veg oil

1 can pumpkin (15oz)

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 packages cook-n-serve vanilla pudding (3oz)

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

½ tsp salt

Beat eggs. Add oil and pumpkin. Add dry ingredients and mix together.

Pour into greased mini foil bread pans (takes 5 of the mini foil pans).

Bake at 325 degrees for 45-55 min. Let cool and enjoy!!!

Yes please!

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake I'm not crazy about the frosting in this recipe, so I just make the cake and then top it with Cream Cheese Frosting.

Pumpkin Pie Cake

1 smaller can Pumpkin (7 or 8 oz), prepared as directed for one pie worth of filling.

1 dry yellow or white cake mix

1/2 cup butter, melted.

Pour prepared pumpkin filling into an ungreased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the top of the filling. Drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Cool slightly, and serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

Pumpkin Sabji, recipe from my ex MIL:

5 lb pumpkin, peeled and cubed into 1 1/2" cubes

3 cloves garlic (minced)

a small onion or less (small dice)

10 fenugreek seeds

one small hot pepper (serrano)

2 med-large toms (small dice)

1/4 t. tumeric

1/8 C sugar

2 (or more) T. oil or ghee

Make a masala of the garlic, onion, fenugreek seeds, some salt and chili

in the oil. After 'the return of the oil', add the tomatoes/tumeric and

mash etc. until the 'return of the oil' happens again.

Add the cubes. Stir and saute' until thoroughly warmed. Stir in

the sugar, lower heat, cover and cook until tender, but not falling

apart.

Mummyji said over and over: "No ginger. No garum masala."

Can I just say how envious I am that you folk from the other side of the pond can get canned pumpkin? No fair! I have to first find edible pumpkins, and then go through the rigmarole of halving, deseeding, cooking and scraping the darn things before I can even begin making my pumpkin pie! :nopity:

Can I just say how envious I am that you folk from the other side of the pond can get canned pumpkin? No fair! I have to first find edible pumpkins, and then go through the rigmarole of halving, deseeding, cooking and scraping the darn things before I can even begin making my pumpkin pie! :nopity:

Oh Hedgehog, I HATE canned pumpkin so daily for another week or so I'll process yet another pumpkin and freeze it. I've got one cooking now. :)

Can you get sweet potatoes there (or yams, I think they are the same thing)? I actually use them in all my pumpkin recipes because they are so much less work than pumpkins to prepare and they taste just the same. I just boil them whole until tender and then cool them, peel and mash with a potato masher (or you could run it through a blender if you want it super smooth).

Oh gosh, how strange. Why don't they have canned pumpkin in the UK? :001_huh:

I have tons of recipes for pumpkin which is good since we grow them :D

Here's one I made the other day; it was very yummy! I recommend jumbo muffins cups and mini chocolate chips...one muffin was my breakfast...then post lunch snack....then post dinner snack, lol!

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1 cup sugar

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. cinnamon

½ tsp. ground clove

¼ tsp. allspice

¼ tsp. salt

1 cup cooked canned pumpkin

½ cup butter or margarine, melted

1 cup chocolate chips – mini size works great!

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350º. Grease or line muffin tins – regular or mini size. Combine all dry ingredients and set aside. In large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in pumpkin and melted butter. Blend well. Add dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.

Spoon into muffin cups and bake 20 – 25 minutes for regular size muffins. Around 17 minutes for mini muffins.

Yield: At least one dozen regular size.

This recipe doubles nicely.

¼ c. butter

1 cup chopped onion

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 tsp. curry powder

½ tsp. salt

¼ tsp. ground coriander

3 cup chicken broth

1 ¾ cup (16oz. can) pumpkin

1 cup half and half

Sour cream and chopped chives (optional)

In large saucepan, melt butter; saute onion and garlic until soft. Add curry powder, salt and coriander; cook 1 minute. Add broth; boil gently, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes. Stir in pumpkin and half and half; cook 5 minutes. Pour into blender container; cover; process until creamy.

Serve warm or heat to desired temperature. Garnish with sour cream and chives, if desired.

Makes 6 cups.

I recently tried doing pumpkin in a crockpot, and it was pretty easy and turned out beautifully. I froze a bunch... the freezer bag is just as easy to grab as a can, and much, much cheaper.

Is this faster than washing the pumpkin, cutting in half, putting the cut side down on a cookie sheet, and baking slow for a good while.

Cool, then it is EASY to pull out seeds, strings, and peel. If it is a watery one, you can hang it in cheesecloth for a product more dense like the pie pumpkins ("sugar pumpkins"). Puree (the sugars you can just mash) and freeze.

If find peeling and seeding and stringing the raw ones the biggest pain.

I had a box of "Orange Supreme" cake mix (red box) on the shelf.

Mixed it with 3 eggs, some oil and a large can of pumpkin pie mix, extra cinnamon, and vanilla. Add chocolate chips, and filled 24 muffin cups. Wow, they are rich, and good. Pumpkiny, orange-essence, dark chocolate chips make everything better.

Easy, peasy.

Mary in VA's chocolate chip pumpkin bar cookies were a hit here.

I proceesed two more pumpkins last night. I've got 4 to go.

We've been making spicy and sweet pumpkin seeds here lately which is super easy. It's the seeds from a pumpkin/two/whatever about a teaspoon of oil and salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. And then sugar to taste - we do about 5 teaspoons per cup of seeds.

The sugar and the oil make a caramel-y. gooey, delicious mess.

Bake them at 325 for 20-40 minutes and stir them a couple of times.

That is the right and true path to pumpkin preparation, though why you want to make a pie out of it is beyond me. :D

This might come as a shock to some of you, but pumpkin can be eaten without sugar. We're currently eating pumpkin chips; thinly sliced, sprinkled with salt and paprika and baked. Yum yum!

Rosie

Super Easy Pumpkin Dip

1 can pumpkin pie filling

1 lg container cool whip - defrosted

Mix the two together. Serve with gingersnaps. Watch it disappear :D

Love this! We add pumpkin pie spice (~1/2tbs?). Yum!

This morning we had pumpkin oatmeal. Made it the regular way, but added a scoop of pumpkin, a little yogurt, a little honey and pumpkin pie spice. Kids loved it!

Pumpkin Butter - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pumpkin-butter/detail.aspx

It's like apple butter, but with pumpkin. We eat it on bread and pancakes.

Yum!

Beth

YUM! I make my own version of pumpkin butter almost every year. I bake a regular old pumpkin (hopefully bought cheap right after Halloween) at 350 in the oven until soft. I puree the pumpkin in batches with honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Delicious on top of butter toast. The kids love it and it is healthy. I always freeze quite a bit in small portions because one pumpkin makes a lot of pumpkin butter.

Can you get sweet potatoes there (or yams, I think they are the same thing)? I actually use them in all my pumpkin recipes because they are so much less work than pumpkins to prepare and they taste just the same. I just boil them whole until tender and then cool them, peel and mash with a potato masher (or you could run it through a blender if you want it super smooth).

There are several other winter squash that also work well in lieu of pumpkin. Sweet Meat is one variety and I think even the enormous Blue Hubbard is good in pies, etc.

We've been making spicy and sweet pumpkin seeds here lately which is super easy. It's the seeds from a pumpkin/two/whatever about a teaspoon of oil and salt, pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg. And then sugar to taste - we do about 5 teaspoons per cup of seeds...

Do you use the whole seed, including the hull? If not, how do you get the little seeds out of the hulls?

Last time I tried to roast pumpkin seeds, I roasted them whole and it was like chewing on little hunks of wood...gross!

I tried growing a naked-seeded pumpkin this year but the squash borers got it. :glare:

There are several other winter squash that also work well in lieu of pumpkin. Sweet Meat is one variety and I think even the enormous Blue Hubbard is good in pies, etc.

Oh I know, I've used lots of other squashes as well but they all have the seed cavity to clean out and the hard outer shell to peel off. I find the sweet potatoes to be a lot less work to prepare than the squashes.

Oh I know, I've used lots of other squashes as well but they all have the seed cavity to clean out and the hard outer shell to peel off. I find the sweet potatoes to be a lot less work to prepare than the squashes.

Oh yeah, just trying to offer other alternatives - I don't know what grows over there.

That is the right and true path to pumpkin preparation, though why you want to make a pie out of it is beyond me. :D

This might come as a shock to some of you, but pumpkin can be eaten without sugar. We're currently eating pumpkin chips; thinly sliced, sprinkled with salt and paprika and baked. Yum yum!

Rosie

Oh, Rosie.....here we go again with your annual Bashing of the Pumpkin Pie post. It makes me so sad!

I'd agree with you about not making pumpkin into pie, but then we'd both be wrong. :tongue_smilie:

The pumpkin chips do sound delicious, though.

Oh, Rosie.....here we go again with your annual Bashing of the Pumpkin Pie post. It makes me so sad!

Bashing? Merely teasing. You know you'd all miss it. Chalk it up to my ignorant non-Americanness, then you can feel superior instead of sad. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I just posted my Pumpkin Banana Muffin recipe on my blog a few days ago:

http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-banana-muffins.html

Here are is a Honey Pumpkin Muffin recipe from a few years ago on my blog(my helper is extra cute, if I do say so myself. :))

http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.com/2008/09/honey-pumpkin-muffins.html

And here's one more post that includes an Applesauce Pumpkin Muffin recipe that I adapted:

http://reachtothemoonandback.blogspot.com/2010/05/do-you-know-muffin-man.html

Boy, I guess I like muffins. lol

Pumpkin Scones and Pumpkin Pancakes. I'm firmly in the fresh pumpkin camp. :tongue_smilie: I also make these recipes with pureed squash or mashed sweet potatoes.

Pumpkin Whole-Wheat Scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix in a large bowl:

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. all-spice

A pinch of fresh nutmeg

Using a pastry blender, cut in:

1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter

Cut in butter pieces until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Optional: Toss into the flour-butter mixture a small handful of dried cherries or cranberries.

In another bowl whisk together:

1 large egg

1/2 to 1-1/2 cup mashed butternut squash, pumpkin or sweet potato

Approximately 1/3 to 1/2 cup buttermilk (or more)

Note: The buttermilk is approximate because it depends on the amount and consistency of your vegetable. Fresh pumpkin has a very different consistency than canned pumpkin, squash has a lot less moisture than pumpkin, and sweet potatoes have a different texture, and so on.

Add wet ingredients to flour mixture and stir until flour mixture is just moist and can be patted into a ball. If your dough is too dry to make a ball, add a splash more buttermilk until the flour is just moistened and can be molded into a ball.

Turn out your dough onto a floured surface and knead gently until mostly smooth. Pat into a circle about 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges and place wedges on an ungreased baking sheet. If desired, brush scone tops with milk and sprinkle each scone lightly with a pinch of sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden-brown.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Squashy yummy golden goodness.

Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes

Heat your griddle to about 350 degrees.

Mix in a large bowl:

3 cups flour

4 Tablespoons brown sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice

1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

3/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon salt

Mix in a smaller bowl:

2+ cups buttermilk

1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1/3 c. sour cream

2 eggs (For fluffier pancakes separate the eggs, mix in the yolks now and set aside the whites in a small dish)

3 Tablespoons melted butter

If you've set aside the egg whites to make fluffier pancakes, beat the whites until they're nice and fluffy but not stiff. You can use a stand or hand mixer, but with two egg whites it's almost as easy to beat them by hand in a small bowl with a whisk.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring until just mixed. Particularly if you're using fresh pumpkin, the thickness of your pancake batter will vary. Add more buttermilk or milk until your batter is of the desired consistency. If you've set aside and beaten the egg whites, fold them gently into the batter. Let sit for 5 minutes before pouring your pancakes.

Pour the batter onto the griddle, about 1/4 to 1/3 cup per pancake, depending on how large you'd like your pancakes. Brown on both sides. Serve with maple syrup.

Rosie

Pumpkin chips sound yummy! Of course, I think they would be even better w/ cinnamon and sugar!:lol: