Menu

Poll: Without googling, do you know the origin of the phrase, "Oh, the humanity"?

Without googling, do you know the origin of the phrase, "Oh, the humanity"?  

1. 1. Without googling, do you know the origin of the phrase, "Oh, the humanity"?

• Yeppers, I know.
    • Nope, I don't know.
    • I guessed, googled and found out I guessed correctly.
    • other

I know where it is from and I've wondered if most people do since "oh, the kittenity" started being used here.

I should also ask: Does reading oh, the kittenity make you cringe? A little? Not at all? I know it's a joke but a feel a bit guilty laughing at it. The kittenity part.

Edited by unsinkable

Kind of.

It is one of those bits of useless knowledge I have stored in the back of my mind. But I couldn't pull it to the fore. I had to google it for a reminder. Then did the whole smiley_emoticons_doh.gif thing.

You're a green smurf.

I used to love you, but now...

Not so much.

WT-- happened to us???

:lol:

Edited by unsinkable

I know where it is from and I've wondered if most people do since "oh, the kittenity" started being used here.

I should also ask: Does reading oh, the kittenity make you cringe? A little? Not at all? I know it's a joke but a feel a bit guilty laughing at it. The kittenity part.

Yep! I know the origin. I haven't seen 'oh the kittenity' though. I probably wouldn't use it though. Just a personal preference.

Yes, I know where it comes from. I think it was a bit of a strange response even at the time--not something you would say in a rational moment--but of course it wasn't a rational response at all.

I feel like I should be bothered, maybe, but the fact is, the phrase has been used humorously for so long that I'm really not, unless I think about it. Probably I'm a postmodern failure, or something.

Guest submarines

I guessed, I googled, and then I went to the Urban Dictionary to find out what Hindenburg was. The first meaning? :eek: Errrrrrrrrr....why???? People really do this????

I hear people say "Oh the Humanity" in a mildly sarcastic, tongue in cheek way (ala Seinfeld) as being roughly synonymous with "Oh, the horror!" I read "Oh the kittianity" the same way. I had forgotten the original reference beyond Seinfeld.

:lol: I immediately thought of Neuman saying it too, though I did vote yes on the poll because I knew the origin. That event is one my son has found very interesting. We watched a Mythbusters episode about it and read a book (from the You Wouldn't Want to Be... series) in which he was surprised to see the markings on the dirigible (I had written the "thing" but now I see the cat's out of the bag on this thread). He had thought it was American.

I feel it's fine to use it in a humorous way. It doesn't seem to be in poor taste because it's not poking fun at the tragedy in any way.

Guest submarines
No, one does not go to Urban Dictionary to find out what the
was.

:lol:

The link from the first article took me straight there. One click, and ... ... ...

Your link is not going to take me to the graphic demonstration of the urban dictionary's first entry? :tongue_smilie:

I said, "oh the kittanity" and I knew where it came from.

I do have a faulty "not ok" filter. I have had issues with it my whole life.

*bag on head*

But in fairness that has been used many many times in a humorous way.

Not at all. I think the phrase has taken on a life of it's own beyond that initial use and is fair game.

:iagree: with both of these.

I knew exactly where it came from, and I have used the funny version. But, my favorite book is a hilarious book about the apocalypse.

I hear people say "Oh the Humanity" in a mildly sarcastic, tongue in cheek way (ala Seinfeld) as being roughly synonymous with "Oh, the horror!" I read "Oh the kittianity" the same way. I had forgotten the original reference beyond Seinfeld.

I knew the original reference. But I was wondering how many would answer Veggie Tales in a multiple choice poll. I'm sure that Larry uses it at least once.