Menu

Do you enjoy speaking/presenting to a group?

Are you comfortable or uncomfortable speaking to an audience?  

1. 1. Are you comfortable or uncomfortable speaking to an audience?

• Basically Comfortable
    • Basically Uncomfortable

I'm curious about the personalities of this forum, if many, some, or not so many are comfortable presenting to a crowd. Also, if you are not one who speaks well to an audience, how do you cope with that? Do you decline, avoid, or refuse to speak up front? How do you deal with co-op situations when you might be needed or required to present material to a group? Curious. I'll start. I'm not comfortable, and avoid it as much as possible.

I don't like it but am more comfortable than I used to be. I worked for 1 1/2 years as an engineering lead. I sat in on lots of project meetings and had to give status updates and things like that. I didn't do anything in the way of presentations but I got more used to talking in front of lots of people.

I feel very comfortable speaking in front of people. I'm a much better presenter than audience listener...I get so easily distracted and fiddle a lot when I have to sit and listen instead of be the one in charge of the instruction.

Doctors make the worst patients...teachers make the worst students ;).

"Basically uncomfortable" doesn't even begin to describe my feelings:) "Paralyzed by fear at the mere thought" would probably be more accurate (I think my heart is beating faster just typing about it). I deal with such situations by avoiding everything in which such a thing might occur or downright refusing.

Sorry, I'm not help!!

I would recommend public speaking training if you are uncomfortable doing it. There are lots of tips that can really help out!

DS13 will be speaking to the public at a local library next week and is working to prepare his speech. A friend from church said she teaches public speaking and offered to give him a few pointers. I have to say her advice was outstanding! She left some of the teaching materials behind for DS13 to refer to.

The best piece of advice that she gave? If you think of the speech you are giving as a gift to your audience your focus will appropriately be on meeting their needs and not so much on your own nervousness.

It totally depends on who my audience is and what the topic is.

Getting up in front of my peers to teach them something terrifies me unless I know the topic so well that I don't need to really think about it.

Speaking to teens is fine too.

Dawn

I voted comfortable. I really enjoy sharing information about things I love. I have done presentations on homeschooling, child development and getting kids active in service opportunities.

I would love to do this professionally but I don't have any idea where to start.

Any good advice? Been there done that experience to share?

It totally depends on who my audience is and what the topic is.

:iagree:

Could I talk to the members of my homeschool group, who I know, as a group about issues pertaining to our group or something? Sure. Would I want to get up in an auditorium full of strangers and talk about something in the form of a speech or lecture or some such? No, not particularly.

I am NOT a shy person AT ALL. Still, I have a very hard time speaking in front of a crowd. Think severe, severe anxiety. I *panic* many times when adults are sitting in a circle and go around introducing themselves one by one. Often times I leave to go to the bathroom. HATE it.

It shocks everyone because I'm such an extrovert. I sometimes have that issue, too, over confrontation.

Very comfortable.

Presenting was a big part of my career while I was still working (often to company vice presidents/directors). Depending on the audience and my expertise/comfort level with the topic, I might have a few jitters when I first get in front of the group, but it quickly goes away as soon as I get started... :)

Very comfortable.

I used to be intimidated by it, but then I became a LaLeche League Leader and spoke in front of a group twice a month. I did that for 15+ years.

Now I speak fairly often to various groups about homeschooling special needs children. (I have a speaking engagement coming up in a few weeks as a matter of fact).

I think practice definitely helps in overcoming speaking anxiety. :)

how do you cope with that? Do you decline, avoid, or refuse to speak up front? How do you deal with co-op situations when you might be needed or required to present material to a group?

i have had to speak in front of a church congregation several times. i did not like it. in those specific situations, i knew that my testimony was more important than my fear, so i dealt with it and pushed through. it is waaaay out of my comfort zone though, and i felt very vulnerable. in co-op situations, i will only teach through 2nd grade, lol. i love kids, and i feel at ease when my audience is so tiny and cute:D

Honestly, I love teaching and also enjoy managing.It doesn't always make sense, as I am more introverted by far. However, while group social situations are quite overwhelming for me, I find that I really enjoy teaching any size group, of any age, and I like managing teams or directing programs.

This is me. I don't like social events. I'm a huge introvert, but speaking in front of others doesn't seem the same to me.

Love teaching kids, comfortable presenting to adults when I'm an expert. HATE making phone calls, especially for marketing reasons, like trying to get a few more kids in a class, but I even have an aversion to calling to make an appointment-I really don't like calling anyone who's not a close friend, and hate group social situations, too.

I do best (in public), when I am speaking with topic on which I have some wide breadth of knowledge... but I can wing it as well! I don't usually need a lot of preparation (as in rehearsing), unless there are slides and visuals I need to present. Otherwise... an outline is fine.

I love to speak in front of people. Even did so as a kid.

My job as a college instructor would be hard if I did not enjoy presenting.

I do too. One of the things I always have a hard time with in groups is knowing when to say what I want to say, but when I have the floor as the speaker, there's no problem LOL! I talk, you listen.

I like public speaking. I feel flattered to be asked and I'm glad to have something to say. I also love to hear the sound of my own voice. :001_smile: And if an honorarium is involved, that's great!

HOWEVER, in the 5-10 minutes before I get up to talk, I wonder why on earth I ever agreed to do this and I wish I were anywhere else in the WHOLE WORLD. :001_smile:

I don't have a problem speaking in front of a group. Okay, I do get pretty nervous, but on another level, I enjoy speaking.

But please. Do not expect me to attend a social function and make small talk with people. My mind goes blank when I'm around people I don't know well. I can compensate for that when I'm in front of people by having my talk written out, but in social situations I have as much personality as a ball of lint.

If I can't prepare I refuse. If forced, it's three or four mumbled words :lol:

Co-op would not bother me. I have no problem speaking to/with children. It's crowds of adults... or even a small group where everyone is suddenly looking at me that makes me uncomfortable. Children I can deal with... adults make me :blush: