Menu

Harry Potter - I'm totally ignorant on this

The kid has been asking for some Harry Potter. So today I bought her "The Sorcerers Stone."

I know absolutely nothing about Harry Potter.

How could I use this in a reading program and just general anything else I need to know about this series would be great.

PS: Does reading these books by Rowling turn into a big deal? What are the warning signs? Am I going to be sorry I let this into the house?

we loved the series. I had heard bad things about it when it came out, my husband and I decided to read them ourselves and make a decision. If you are unsure about them, I would encourage you to read it. We loved them, and our kids all did, too.

I'm going to have to read them along with her if I like it or not..apparently there is some sort of slang or something that comes from reading these books?

She said all the kids at school talk about Harry Potter and make references to it; she feels left out; which I think is half the pressure to read them.

I'm absolutely like a zero for watching this stuff on TV, but in this case, I guess I'll have to make an exception.

Did you guys think the movie (s?) matched the book (s?) I'm not even sure how many Harry Potter movies/books there are.

Wickepedia said 7. Is that right?

Ya, these are like forty something in the AR-still not a peep on whatever program is running out there. Maybe we'll hear something next week.

Read them together. Reading Harry Potter will be among our favorite family memories.

:iagree: We finished #3 a few weeks ago and stopped, though--they get significantly darker/scarier with #4, and my guys aren't old enough for that. I'm not sure how old your dd is, but if she's younger or sensetive, you might want to pre-read.

:iagree: We finished #3 a few weeks ago and stopped, though--they get significantly darker/scarier with #4, and my guys aren't old enough for that. I'm not sure how old your dd is, but if she's younger or sensetive, you might want to pre-read.

I noticed this as well, and I think I stopped reading with #4. I also noticed that the humor I absolutely loved in HP 1 seemed to go by the wayside by HP4. I really thought the first book has a great amount of humor in it, but I saw less and less of that as the series progressed....

I have found that first four movies stayed almost exactly true to the books, but as the books got longer the movies started to stray a little. There is only so much you can fit into a 2 hour movie :001_smile:

I love the HP series. My kids are still too young, but I can't wait to read them all together and then use the movies for our family movie nights.

We love Harry Potter. We have the hardbacks and the wonderful audio books read by Jim Dale. My oldest three (11, 9, and 6) have listened to all seven books more times than anyone can count. It's a wonderful story and gives lots of fodder for discussion about good vs. evil. :)

Edited by Veritaserum

My oldest dd and I LOVE the Harry Potter books and the movies. I'm not really sure about the slang you mentioned unless you mean words like "muggles" and other made up words. Anna and I quote the books/movies, but our family does that with any book or movie. We also "cast spells" a lot just to be funny. It's harmless. I'm not sorry, at all, that we are a Harry Potter family. I can't wait until my next dd is ready to read them so I can read them with her. She isn't interested yet.

Have fun with them!

Honestly reading the books is not painful. The first one is a quick read, but do not read it too quickly or a lot of important things will be missed that you will see take form later on in the series. Watching the movies will give you a general idea of what is happening but it is the books that make everything make total sense.

Another benefit of reading them along with your child...the discussions. We all read the books together (as in each of us had a copy and we read it at the same time) and after we talked and talked and talked. The more books the more deep the discussions will get.

My dh and I are so happy to share in the excitement of our ds first time reading them! We both love Harry Potter and were just waiting until the right time for ds to finally share in the fun. He is on book #4 right now and is just enthralled with them. We watch each movie together as a family after he finishes each book. My ds is loving the Harry Potter world and has been using all of his spending money to obtain all the Harry Potter Lego sets and Lego characters. I think of all of it as totally harmless and fun and love to see him so engrossed in reading and the fantasy of it.

The movies complement the books more than they match them. They flesh them out and add elements that aren't in the books, even while leaving some crucial elements out.

If you are a christian then these books have another profound layer that should be explored so that they can be discussed as you read. John Granger is the one you want to read if you want to go that direction.

Have fun and don't worry about allowing them in your home. They are modern classics and should not be missed.

I adored the Harry Potter series. DH loved the books, too. Our son read through book 4 and then wasn't interested enough to continue (:001_huh:). Our daughter insisted she wanted absolutely nothing to do with them.

I was deeply grieved, and I occasionally wondered if they were maybe switched at birth and somewhere out there my REAL kids had their noses buried in the HP books.

(I kid... I kid! Um, mostly.)

And then this summer, mostly because all her friends were going to see the final HP movie in the theater, and she wasn't allowed to because we have a strict you-have-to-read-the-book-before-you-see-the-movie rule, my DD picked up the first Harry Potter...and then the second...and then the third...and so on and so on until she'd read the whole series in about a two week period. I'm not sure she slept, ate, showered or groomed herself during that period of time, but she sure enough did some reading. And we talked about the books and had inside HP jokes and then watched the movies together... and it was all as wonderful as I'd always dreamed.

BUT... my DD is 12, and yours is 8. Would I let my kid read the books? Obviously, yes. But with an 8 year old, I'd concur with others who said to stop at Book 4, or maybe even Book 3, until she's a bit older. If you have the time, I'd also suggest you pre-read them or read them along with her. There certainly are those who object to the HP series on various grounds, and I do respect that even if I don't feel the same way. You're the best one to judge what's best for your family :).

Best,

SBP

My daughter has been asking to read them for a while, but I made her wait until this summer (she's 10). The reason is that the series gets darker as Harry grows up, and the books start as middle grade fiction but end up more like young adult fiction. I love the series and wanted her to be able to read the whole series at once if she wanted instead of telling her she could only read the first couple and then making her wait to read the rest. Your mileage may vary; individual families have different ideas about what is age-appropriate reading material.

My family loved the series. We also listened to the audio version (preferably US version) by Jim Dale. In the 1st book, his voices drones on a bit but as the series goes on, he sounds more and more like the (movie) actors' voices.

Lots and lots of discussion, play-acting, visiting HP World in Orlando - our favorite series by far.

YMMV- but I didn't let my daughter read them until she was a tad older, maybe 9 or 10. I didn't think that 'other kids speaking the teminology" was a good enough reason to read it. I wanted her to read it for herself. That being said, she is 11 now and has read them all. She was put "in charge" of my 8 year old and reading harry potter. now my 8 year old read them all this summer and is starting to reread them.

the two of them play harry potter together and with another family who visits often. I totally don't get the games. I haven't read harry potter at all. It really is like they have a language to themselves and I'm not included.

eh, they don't seem the worse for reading and hey, it's reading.

AS a matter of fact, my daughter wrote a program for the library based on harry potter for a girl scout project. all kids in the county are invited.

Robin in NJ

yeah, the books do get darker as the series progresses. I have this theory that the books match Harry's maturity..the first one is the classic "no one loves me, maybe I was switched at birth...I live in the closet.." type thoughts all kids love to indulge in, the darker book seems to match a period of teen angst, the last two seem to go into emerging adult hood and our place in the world/our responsibilities to the world.

Some great discussion themes about good and evil, how you cannot always tell who is good, who is not..how all people are a mix of right and wrong, most people are not truly/wholly evil but do love some-thing or someone.

the movies are all well-done, I was never really disappointed in any of them- except disappointed that they could not fit everything in. But, as always, the books are better than the movies...a great way to induce kids to read, let them know they are missing so much detail that could not be put into the books.

I am still disappointed that they are over. I keep hoping she will write a series about Harry's kids at Hogswarts.... hopeless, but I keep hoping.

we loved the series. I had heard bad things about it when it came out, my husband and I decided to read them ourselves and make a decision. If you are unsure about them, I would encourage you to read it. We loved them, and our kids all did, too.

:iagree::iagree:

Read them and decide.

We loved them too....

We spent countless hours reading them, talking about them, re-reading, watching the movies. There really is a great deal of depth and symbolism in them and I think that's why they have such wide appeal and will IMO have a long life. If you're at all interested in the meaning of some of the symbols in the books, and their Christian symbolism, read some of the criticism by John Granger. He maintains a website called thehogwartsprofessor. After reading his work a bit, it was much clearer to me why I was able to truly enjoy a book my 8 yo was reading. What others have said about the way the books take up questions of morality, loyalty, whether anyone is truly evil, what people hold in their hearts that secretly moves them, it's all there.

Enjoy!

We have read them all aloud, some of them twice. We have watched all the movies. HP has been a great memory maker and family activity. The books and the movies are different, but they can be independent of each other. I like the movies for what they are and the books are seperate. I have loved the characters from the moment I met them. I'm sad that I can't continue to watch their journeys.

If OP's daughter is feeling left out from what her peers are discussing, there's something to earnestly think about. We have made decisions solely based on helping my eldest fit in better with his peers. HP helped with this, as did Pokemon, but that's a different story....

:eek:

You must have will power of steel! I told my family to eat sandwiches and took a mommy day off to read the last book the day it came out.

Me too. I made a themed meal with Pumpkin Pasties and I forget what else (dh found a butterbeer recipe that was potent ... the kids got none of that!)

Then I took a nap while dh took the older two in costume to B&N for the party and release. They got home at 12:30 or so and I got up and started reading. It was fend for yourself until late the next afternoon when I finished (I did have to tend to the then-2 year old now and then, but the others were 6, almost 8 and 9).

We have the read the book first rule too. So far, my 10 year old won't, so he and my 6 year old are staying home with a sitter tomorrow while we take my older two and my cousin to finally go see the last movie.

Things complete novices about Harry Potter should probably know...

7 books - Harry's age corresponds to the number of the book (11 in book 1, 12 in book 2, and so forth)

8 movies (the final book is broken into two films)

The books draw on mythology and folk tales about magic as well as some amusing faux Latin, but are mostly completely imaginary.

They start slow and have a progression toward becoming darker and darker. Death and the nature of evil are explored, as well as genocide, bigotry and war.

However, none of the books have more than very mild bad words. Romances develop among the characters, but there's nothing more than a couple of semi-passionate kisses.

The audiobooks, narrated by Jim Dale, are some of the most excellent audiobooks ever narrated.

The books have been criticized for their writing by many people, such as Jane Yolen, who accused J.K. Rowling of relying too heavily on adverbs. However, most critics rave about their sense of imagination and excitement as well as their excellent, riveting plot structure.

The books have been criticized by Christians. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish there.

A few families whose kids start the books early (age 5 or 6), hold their kids back from reading or listening to later volumes because of the deaths, as well as the plot complexities that begin to develop around book 3 or so.

But like everyone else said... enjoy! :)

Am I going to be sorry I let this into the house?

Depends on who you ask....

My kids loved them. We talked about some things after the first book they read. I could see that they viewed them with a different look. They saw Harry as someone who was going to do some good. As time went on they saw him overcome some things in his life. I think that there are many lessons to be learned throughout the books and also many things to really talk about. I found them a fun read and encourage you to read them with them.

I personally love the HP books - but I wouldn't let my 7yo read past maybe book 3 or so (I'd have to re-read to see where, for sure - it's been awhile!) until he gets older. Harry himself ages, so it makes sense that the books get more grown-up and darker as he gets older. It's just that you can read all at once instead of waiting a year!! :D So - I might read 1-2 now, 3 next year, and more as the years go by. Certainly by the time he is a tweenager I would not have a problem having him read them all. SciFi Fantasy is my favorite genre! :)

Love the books here. I was introduced to them by my then 15yo brother who could not stop talking about them and he doesn't read. Anything. Ever. So I had to see what they were about. We got another brother into them. They are the only books in his house. I kid you not. Sad, I know. My dd listened to the audios long before she could read them. Jim Dale does a wonderful job. So read the books so you'll know what your child is on about. You won't regret it.

And now we are all waiting our invitation to pottermore.

The kid has been asking for some Harry Potter. So today I bought her "The Sorcerers Stone."

I know absolutely nothing about Harry Potter.

How could I use this in a reading program and just general anything else I need to know about this series would be great.

PS: Does reading these books by Rowling turn into a big deal? What are the warning signs? Am I going to be sorry I let this into the house?

You don't really need to know anything about HP to hand your kid a book and let her enjoy a good story. If you don't want to read it yourself, there is a movie. :D It's quite good.

My oldest 4 have devoured all 7 HP's books and movies. It's fun stuff. Enjoy!

Personally I would hate to see what the state of US literacy would be had Harry Potter never been published. It's one of the few writings that can easily win a popularity contest against modern electronics. I think an 8-year-old would do fine with Book 1, and then you could decide if you want to go further. If you want to pre-read, don't worry, it won't take you long - I read the first 4-5 volumes in one night apiece.

I have to say I didn't really like the movies. But I'm kind of hard to please when it comes to movies.

That depends, do you like to see your child on a regular basis? After years of refusing to try them, DD finally started reading them at the beginning of August (well we listened to the first book in July and she started reading book 2 in August). I see my DD for school. Other than that she is hibernating with Harry in her room or plotting where she is going to put the Hogwarts Lego castle that is #1 on the Christmas wish list. She is halfway through book 4.

but I just happened to scan a few pages while riding in the car (I had gotten book one for my ds), and I was hooked! I bought all 7 books and read them in a couple of weeks. I didn't get much done at home. We love the movies too - just did a marathon with them all before seeing the last movie.

I finished book 7 last week and now my days feel so empty! I'm going through withdrawal!!

DD 9 has read books 1 and 2.

I will let her read book 3 when she turns 10 next year. She can read book 4 when she is 11-- and the rest of the series when she is 12 (but I may let her at 11).

She has seen the first 2 movies... and can see the others after she has read the books.

I really enjoyed the series-- it was a fun summer read...

I'm a conservative Christian if that means anything....

I was in your shoes back a few years ago. I bought the first book for my then 9yo sister. I told her I would buy her a book and when she picked out this one I was suprised she hadn't picked something a bit more girly and the main character being a boy :D I remember standing in the store and asking more then a few times "Are you SURE you want a book about a magic BOY" :lol: I didn't want to waste my money and it was not the genre she usually read.

Anyway I always read a few pages of her new books just to see what they were about so after she went to bed I read the first page...and the next ... and the next :lol: I fought her for the book for the next week :D

I had never heard of this Harry Potter so I had no preconceived notions about it and I couldn't stop reading -so I think if you start reading it you will find that it won't turn out to be a chore. ;)

My husband was initially against them because of all of the hoopla. The kids and I loved them; my husband thought they were good, not great.

The audio books are awesome too. I love his voice, the voices he uses, and how he reads the books in general.

for age appropriateness - you do have to know your child. some kids wouldn't be phased at 8. others would have a hard time at 12.

define "big deal". kids disappearing and becoming voracious readers isn't a bad thing to me. (and I can say no to merchandise). We left for yosemite the day before HP4 came out. #4 was 10 at the time. we stopped at costco, bought the book and read in the car. we stopped at the next costco, and bought the audio so we could actually hear it. teens were smashed into a single chair, reading over each other's shoulders at the campground. NO ONE was allowed to wander off alone with it. I know before we finished, #1 had purchased her own copy because she wanted to read faster. (she read Tolkein when she was 8.) Even my older teen/YA son's disappeared recently because they were reading/rereading the series before seeing the last movie.

I'm going to have to read them along with her if I like it or not.. I'm absolutely like a zero for watching this stuff on TV, but in this case, I guess I'll have to make an exception.

Did you guys think the movie (s?) matched the book (s?) I'm not even sure how many Harry Potter movies/books there are.

They did as well as they could packing a book into a movie. they did stay in character. (well, I'm deeply grieved Richard Harris died . . . . he *was* Dumbledore. the casting was *amazing*! some of the actors were clearly having a. ball. playing their character. 'thinking kenneth branaugh here'.) Read the books, then watch the movies.

I got to see the HP props traveling show, and the props were amazingly detailed. they put alot of thought, work, effort, etc. into the smallest thing. contrast that with the SW exhibt that came next and darth vaders cloak being nothing but medium broadcloth.

I was deeply grieved, and I occasionally wondered if they were maybe switched at birth and somewhere out there my REAL kids had their noses buried in the HP books.

(I kid... I kid! Um, mostly.)

as my friend would ask when childre were not acting as expected - "have you checked for pods under the bed?"

Some great discussion themes about good and evil, how you cannot always tell who is good, who is not..how all people are a mix of right and wrong, most people are not truly/wholly evil but do love some-thing or someone.

:iagree: they are very complex plotwise, and the characters are incredibly complex. perhaps snape most of all. (and to think alan rickman didn't want to play . . . . so glad he did.)

They did as well as they could packing a book into a movie. they did stay in character. (well, I'm deeply grieved Richard Harris died . . . . he *was* Dumbledore. the casting was *amazing*! some of the actors were clearly having a. ball. playing their character. 'thinking kenneth branaugh here'.) Read the books, then watch the movies.

:iagree: And Emma Thompson. And in the last one, Helena Bonham Carter portraying Hermione impersonating Bellatrix--absolutely perfect!! The adult cast reads like a "who's who" of the top British actors and actresses.

Well, she's started it. Went to turn off her lights in bed..

"no..one more page Mom..one more.."

Hmm.

Anyway, I went to read some of the Granger stuff online. I guess it can be pretty heavy stuff if you want it to be. Heavy is good. I like Heavy.

I didn't know Rowling was so educated. I'd only remembered briefly the story about writing on napkins as a desperate welfare single mother hitting the big time. I think I'd seen it on "The Today Show" or something like that many years ago.

That wasn't really fair to push on her maybe?

Anyway, did anyone else experience a search for the back stories (other than the religious) in the Classics that the Potter books were built on?

They grow darker as the children in the books get older. I left it up to Hobbes to decide (Calvin grew up as the series was originally published). He stopped after number three or four, then came back to them this year and finished the series. We have just started to watch the films as a family viewing project.

Laura

I adore the HP series. I read the first one because of all the hype in the religious community, and found that I loved it and that there is nothing objectionable in it.

The magic involved is fairy tale magic, such as making things invisible or flying. There is NO way to replicate this magic in real life. It's just like superhero stuff. The HP magic is nothing like anything in real life nor does it bear ANY resemblance to anything the Bible warns about.

I also found the books are very, very moral with excellent character and virtue lessons on many levels. This is especially strong in book 7.

It is likely that if your kids read it, they will like it and want to read more of the series. It's well written and compelling, so that is the natural result. Go ahead and enjoy.

My older boys grew up on HP books, and one of them is now (at 20!) having a ball on Pottermore! I can remember the agony for them of awaiting publication of each book.

My younger two have also read them, with me reading some of the first books to them. Our copies have been read so often they are falling apart, which I love to see with any book. I am in the process of replacing them one by one.

There is darkness, particularly in the later books. Each child is so different about what is TOO much for them in books. None of it bothered the boys, but my daughter did stop after the fourth book and step away until she was older. She returned to finish them at about 11, and did love them.

I hope your little one enjoys the series.

dd14 loves the movies but didn't care for the books - which I know is unusual, especially here. :p

I keep watching for a 2nd hand set of them because *I* would like to read themĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I don't want to buy them all new though.

I liked the last couple of movies, but not the earlier onesĂ¢â‚¬Â¦