Menu

I feel sick! Domestic violence mentioned

My sister got married in May to a fellow police officer.He drank around her once prior to their wedding and it was horrrible, including a suicide threat with a loaded gun. The next day he cried, was contrite, swore not to drink ever again. He didn't, until after they got married. Tonight he pushed her down, emotionally abused her and my (5 yo) nephew, and is walking around with his loaded gun. He made her get off the phone, is trying to get his 3 yo dd to go with him to KS(??? don't know why?) and I am scared silly. All these scenarios are rushing through my head. I want to get in my van and go get her, but she is 2 hrs from me and I doubt he will be there or awake by then. I can't very well call his fellow officers and I don't know about calling hers(they work in different depts). I am literally so sick I am shaking. She was whispering and crying when I talked to her. I know I am rambling, I know this is probably too much personal info to put out on the net, but I am a mess sitting here waiting for her to call me back. I am praying he just leaves with his friend, that she just lets him walk out the door. I guess I am looking for prayer, hugs, good thoughts. She has ptsd from being in two wars , left an abusive first husband...now this. My heart is breaking for her.

I am saying a prayer...for your sister, her kids, her dh... and YOU...right now.

:grouphug:

Can you call her and tell her you are coming and to throw some stuff in a sack and be ready with the kids?

I'm so sorry. I would be terrified too. I would probably call the police in her town and tell them what she said.

I am saying a prayer...for your sister, her kids, her dh... and YOU...right now.

Can you call her and tell her you are coming and to throw some stuff in a sack and be ready with the kids?

I'm so sorry. I would be terrified too. I would probably call the police in her town and tell them what she said.

Um...yes. Can you call someone? Do you know anyone who lives close by who can go over to check on things. I hope you can get her to leave and he can get some help.

I called a fellow off duty officer, who is heading over. She is mad at me, afraid this will get them both fired, but I think she is just not thinking right right now. I am on the phone with her, trying to convince her that she should just not engage him. She is trying to talk to him,"to find out why he is acting like this." Thanks for being so supportive...I know I am putting too much out there. Thanks again.

I called a fellow off duty officer, who is heading over. She is mad at me, afraid this will get them both fired, but I think she is just not thinking right right now. I am on the phone with her, trying to convince her that she should just not engage him. She is trying to talk to him,"to find out why he is acting like this." Thanks for being so supportive...I know I am putting too much out there. Thanks again.

They can sort out the job stuff later. He's walking around the house drunk carrying a loaded handgun while two children (at least) are watching. You did the right thing. :grouphug:

Oh my gosh. I just said a prayer for all of you.

You did the right thing. Someone with experience definitely needs to step in here. He needs counseling.

Hon, please call someone. You will never forgive yourself if you don't and something happens. That man needs to be relieved of his gun and I don't say this lightly.

Exactly. There are usually warning signs in tragic situations, and people do not take them for what they are out of fear of making the wrong decision. The right decision is to get help. This is not normal behavior.

The police won't do anything about someone threatening suicide. They will do something about someone hurting someone else. I know about the suicide threat from personal experience. They wouldn't do anything because it's not a crime. I am assuming that this is over by now and I hope you sister is safe.

The police need to know that this is a hostage situation (at least from your post).

:iagree:Glad you called someone.

The police won't do anything about someone threatening suicide. They will do something about someone hurting someone else. I know about the suicide threat from personal experience. They wouldn't do anything because it's not a crime. I am assuming that this is over by now and I hope you sister is safe.

Not true, at least not anywhere I've heard of. They can and will call in an ambulance, and have the person admitted to the hospital b/c they're a danger to themselves and/or others. This person fits both criteria.

Google the story about the death of Yeardley Love at UVA last year and you'll see a step-by-step account of how these abuse cases go.

Your sister needs an intervention. She is part of the problem in that she's not moving out of state and hiding from this man for life.

One more thing that I want to emphasize: statistics show that more women die in the months (up to about two years) AFTER they've left their abuser.

Nicole Simpson was murdered two years after she left OJ. Yeardley Love was murdered after she left George (another UVA student).

Prepare your sister over and over to be on serious guard for a solid five to ten years after she leaves him. I mean, besides having a trained guard dog, a top notch house alarm etc. I'd also have a panic room.

That's how dangerous your sister's situation is. (I worked in this field for a few years before I just couldn't do it any longer.)

Please take this seriously.

Alley

One more thing that I want to emphasize: statistics show that more women die in the months (up to about two years) AFTER they've left their abuser.

Nicole Simpson was murdered two years after she left OJ. Yeardley Love was murdered after she left George (another UVA student).

Absolutely! When the Jerk From My Past found me 4000 miles away, I ran out and changed my name.

Your sister needs to get out. Completely. Now. The longer she stays, the harder it will be -- emotionally (the statistics say that abused partners go back *seven*times* before they leave for good), economically...

And the children need to be out of the picture. His own daughter, but *especially* your nephew, to whom he is not related by blood.

I'm so, so sorry.

This is not true. In my area, a person threatening suicide will immediately be admitted to the hospital for 24 hour psych hold.

To the OP, you did the right thing by calling. She may be angry at you for awhile, but someday she will thank you. :grouphug:

Hopefully you've called the PD or SO which has jurisdiction in this matter. Your sister needs to get this out in the open. Your BIL's supervisor needs to be made aware of what happened, and that it has happened more than once.

Your sister needs to get out and get out today.

I beg to differ. The police will definitely take a suicide threat seriously. It may depend on one's jurisdiction. I know when I worked at the PD in a small Georgia town, our dept would respond to suicide threats. The were taken very seriously. In some states suicide is a crime.

I hope she is safe as well, but in our area this is not true either. Threats of suicide require a period of holding as well.

That wasn't true in a case I was involved in. The person threatening suicide (with a loaded gun) was Baker acted.

Your sister needs to get out. Completely. Now. The longer she stays, the harder it will be -- emotionally (the statistics say that abused partners go back *seven*times* before they leave for good), economically...

And the children need to be out of the picture. His own daughter, but *especially* your nephew, to whom he is not related by blood.

I'm so, so sorry.

She has a responsibility to protect her children first. I say this as an adult who still has emotional scars from growing up in a house like that. I was truly surprised that I lived to my 18th birthday, because of my father's regular drunken threats to commit suicide and take us with him.

She will lose her children if she doesn't leave him.

Failure to protect your children is almost as serious as hurting them yourself.

That is what she is risking if she stays. I'm saying this because it tends to be a more essential argument. I think that she should leave for herself, but even if she won't, she might leave for her children. Either way, she has to get out, now, right now, incognito, to another state, right away. This is extremely dangerous.

She will lose her children if she doesn't leave him.

Failure to protect your children is almost as serious as hurting them yourself.

That is what she is risking if she stays. I'm saying this because it tends to be a more essential argument. I think that she should leave for herself, but even if she won't, she might leave for her children. Either way, she has to get out, now, right now, incognito, to another state, right away. This is extremely dangerous.

:iagree: Perfectly said.