Menu

What is your definition of "we have no money"?

Well, I think most people in today's culture define "being rich" as simply, "People who have more money than I do!" Whatever salary they make or stuff they buy doesn't matter...everybody who makes more than they do is "rich" and they are "poor."

Most people who say they don't have any money really do have wealth and just don't count it (cell phones? internet? cable? netflix? the list of non-essentials goes on and adds up to quite a pretty penny). In other words, they may not have any money in their bank account, but it is by choice because they have prioritized their life in a certain way. There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying, "We've made some tough choices that have left us in a tight spot," but that is rather different than acting as if there are absolutely no options available to you.

I'm not directing this personally at the OP or anyone else. I've just come to be very skeptical, considering that my parents are great examples of people who were always broke (macaroni every night here too!) but it was through their own inability to economize and budget.

I believe this to some extent, but it is not always about not being able to economize or budget. For example, I have no credit. I got a cell phone last year because I drive on the highway everyday for work, and after spinning out into the ditch without a way to call for help knew I needed one. Due to poor credit (from my marriage), I got a basic plan on 1 yr contract. I got internet last month. We did not have it for over a year. I can't really afford it BUT I had registered DS to do an online school program. So I signed the 3 yr contract to get internet without paying the $350 hook up costs(rural location), so he could do the program. 3 weeks later the school recinded his acceptance. I am now stuck in a 3 yr contract that I would not have even signed up for if I didn't need it for his schooling. I do not have cable, or netfliz, or credit cards etc. A good chunk of my $$ each month goes to paying off old debts (student loans mainly). I think given my income level and expenses I do very well economizing and budgeting but there is a limit to the amount of money I can bring in without compromising the level of care/education my kids get. We don't have any money for the most part, the bills get paid but not always in full or on time with the exception of the mortgage, and the old debts. I made $1000/ month at my daycare job, I spent around $500/month on gas to get to and from work. There was no way to cut back on that, or economize, the only work was the next town over so the gas money had to be spent.

We eat Mac n' cheese enough that DD12 has announced that when she is a grown up she is never ever going to make her kids eat it. Sometimes those $0.25 packs of Mr. Noodles are too expensive.

Economizing and budgeting only go so far, then you need more money coming in, but that is not always an option. The only way I could make more $$ would be to put my kids in public school and daycare. Not going to happen, the school here is useless, particularily when it comes to special needs kids.

Most months I can cover the basics, but struggle in teh months with extras (like the car insur or registration being due, birthday months, etc), if my washer broke right now, I would be doing laundry in the bath tub for a very very long time, we went without heat almost all winter because I could not afford to have the guy come in and fix the furnace. It was -40 C for most of the winter, the house was dang cold. Economizing or budgeting simply would not bring in more $$ to pay for the repair man, so we wore coats and slippers in teh house and loaded up the quilts where ever we were.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I say we don't have any money, I mean there is literally only a few dollars in the bank (if I'm lucky, sometimes we're even in the red), no savings, no CC to fall back on (it's maxed), no pulling from another area of our budget (there is ZERO wiggle room), etc. We LITERALLY do not have ANY money. That is us all.the.time.

:iagree: The only credit card we have is a Lowes card, which we make minimum payments on (on no-interest deals) and pay off in full each tax refund. We keep it for emergencies like when the washing machine breaks (or the water pump!). If it were the dryer, it wouldn't get replaced soon. But, for the most part we are living week-to-week with only a few dollars left in the account at the end of the month.

Yes, I think a lot of people mean they don't have the extra money in their budget to do what ever it is that is being asked of them. Basically for many it is another way to say our priorities are different than that of those they are around so we have no money to spend on xyz. That's why I have real problem with people that say we have no money unless they really don't because then those that really have no money get assumed they mean it the same way other's do.

Neat no need to read anymore replies, or to even write one, since this says it all so nicely.

I usually take it to mean that all the money we do have is already budgeted toward future expenses. However, if an emergency were to arise, depending on the amount needed, I would be able to use money that I was going to use toward, say the electric bill, to cover the emergency expense. Then I would have to either be late on my electric bill or move money from other expenses.

I've noticed over the last year or so that the majority of the people in my life (both online and IRL) have a very different definition of this phrase than I do!

I can't tell you how many people have said "we don't either" and then commented about how they were going to have to buy a new washer & dryer (or whatever the item of choice is) because theirs broke. Um...how?

When I say we don't have any money, I mean there is literally only a few dollars in the bank (if I'm lucky, sometimes we're even in the red), no savings, no CC to fall back on (it's maxed), no pulling from another area of our budget (there is ZERO wiggle room), etc. We LITERALLY do not have ANY money. That is us all.the.time.

So, I'm curious....am I in the minority? Do people just mean they don't have any extra without dipping into savings or credit (which they don't want to do, but will if they have to)?

This is generally what it would mean if I said it, but I haven't often said that because I do realize that there are others who would say I have plenty by comparison. But, to be fair, if I were speaking to someone who literally had not so much as a dollar in their sock drawer and they said, "I have no money," I'm not going to reply, "Really? I still have plenty!" ;) I would more likely say that the economic downturn hurt us quite a lot, too, even though that might look different than actually not having but a couple of dollars.

With my husband's job we get calls from people who have "no money" quite often. They call asking for help. You can always tell the people who are actually out of money and the people who have "no money". One group takes whatever you can offer and is thankful to have food to put on the table for their family. The other group whines about what you have to offer and wants you to give them money or take them to the store so they can buy something different.

What we usually offer: spaghetti, sauce, beans, rice, can veggies, can meat, powdered milk, powdered punch mix, can soup

IMO if a family can turn down food, they are not that bad off.

I feel so badly for the families on this board who are going through hard times right now. I know how hard that can be. I will be praying for y'all.

It usually means that they don't choose to spend money on the specific thing being discussed at the moment, though they have money for other things they choose. Similarly, when people say they can't afford something, it almost always means that they have chosen to spend their money on something else instead. It's basic economics.

There are a few people, though, who really do have no money... no savings, nothing extra above rent, heat, food, no ability to make more money through another job, no help coming in through relatives or such, couldn't make any choices to buy less expensive things, etc. (I've noticed a lot that they tend to be people who don't go around telling others that they "have no money.")

It has meant literally no $$ in the past. We have been on the bottom of the barrel so my husband is very good about making sure we have cushions and budgets for everything. If we don't have the cash on hand we could go into savings if we had to but this option hasn't always been the case.

Thank God! I've been on both sides of the fence.

When I think we have no money that means our bills are paid but I have to add up everything that goes in the cart at the grocery store.

I hate having to do that. We don't do it every time we go to the store, sometimes I can get by with a rounded-off talley in my head... but at times we have had to bring paper and write down everything to the penny. It really stinks. We did that growing up too. I cannot imagine what it would be like to go to the store and buy whatever you needed without worrying about the total price.

When we were in college, it meant that we had less than $20 in the bank.

When I worked, it meant we couldn't go on a big vacation or make a major purchase.

Now, it means that we are over budget for the month and can't eat out or go anywhere fun.

When people don't have any money, but use credit cards, I still consider that "not having any money" because of how I feel about credit cards. :) It's just digging yourself in deeper.

After our huge move, I feel like we have no money because we have to be very, very careful about what we are spending since we are recovering from the cost of a move.

Although, I suppose if we truly had "no money," my butt would be back to work and we wouldn't even be talking about adding another child to our family. I feel like being home is truly a luxury that could be taken away at any time.

:iagree: with the bolded. I feel exactly the same way. There have been times I've been poorer and times I've been richer, but I never looked at the credit limit on a card and said, "Well, actually, I have $5,000 here I could spend." I don't consider having credit available to be "having money." Credit is a more severe trap for people who have no other money than it is for people who have other money.

I also agree with that last portion.

This thread came at a funny time. Just a little bit ago while I was making dinner I reached into the drawer to put 1/2 of a lemon into a sandwich bag. I saw that there are only a couple left in the box and realized that I don't have any more in the pantry. I was super annoyed, then realized that for the first six years of my marriage we never even had money for sandwich bags. Dh would say he didn't like taking lunch wrapped in plastic wrap and I would explain that we didn't have money for sandwich bags, lol.

So I do remember having no money for extras, and I know how to be happy without them, but I really do like sandwich bags, and ice cream, and other things that we used to do without.

When I say we have no money, it's like right now, where we managed to pay the rent and have $80 left over for food/gas for 2 weeks. I spent $40 on food on Sunday (for my family of 7) and that will have to hold us until the next food stamps finally hit on the 14th. The $20 for my blood pressure pills will have to wait another 9 days, so I am rationing them out and only taking them every other day. They will run out on Friday. As fo the gas money I put $20 in today and am saving the last $20 for dh to get to work next week. That left nothing left to even buy a box of cake mix for my hubby's bday tomorrow, let alone a gift. We have not exchanged Christmas or birthday presents for 7 of the 9 years we have been together. We had pancakes for dinner and eggs from our own chickens. My parents have paid our car payment for the past 2 years, because we can't cover it. I am sick of living like this, and wish there was some way to improve our situation.

My oldest friend considers them "broke" when she actually has to cook dinner at home 1 night a week instead of going out/ ordering in. So frustrating.

Can't forget the hot dogs! And the fine china - paper plates.

What would Mac 'n cheese with hot dogs be in French.?At least it would sound fancy, and ds might think we were having something different for dinner.

Here, people would say macaronis et fromage avec saucisses fumĂƒÂ©es.

Sometimes people say chien-chaud for hot-dogs, but that's kind of a joke.

My dh makes $400 a week. So, $1600 a month. We have to pay rent, electric, gas for the truck, food, speech therapy for ds (thankfully they have us on a payment plan, only $25 a week), internet and home phone and the only extra we have is Netflix, no cable.

If you can see a way of trimming that, then please tell me.

Wow, I really had to check to see if I wrote that! DH was just laid off, but that's what he made before. We also have internet and Netflix, but that only gives us an extra $37 to work with, if we took it out.

Not sure if you've looked into it...but there are a few things you can do to cut some costs. The big ones for us: Switching to Dr. Bronners and white vinegar for all cleaning, making laundry soap, and switching my "beauty" products. I use olive oil for my skin, homemade bar soap for shaving/washing, and baking soda and vinegar for my hair. I'd be happy to talk more about it, if you were interested.

I don't consider having credit cards having money. I currently have credit, but no money. And yes I will say I have no money. Dh recently lost his job and is making a LOT less. He is not bringing home enough to pay our bills, barely our mortgage and gas for the vehicle. Yeah. Everything else is going on credit. Yes, I appreciate the predicament we would be in if we had no credit, but it doesn't change that we HAVE NO MONEY. It is not good, not good at all. I cancelled the cable and downgraded the internet. We pay $20 a month for internet and $8 a month for netflix. These are literally the only things left we could trim out. That is the total amount we spend for entertainment each month. If it isn't free and very close to home, we aren't doing it. I've never done Starbucks or vacations and I see them no where in my future. I'm not even sure how much $ we'd have to have before I'd even consider those things okay. Probably at least twice as much as dh was making before he lost his job. We were just barely able to squeak by then. That would give us a bit of savings and wiggle room, I assume.

Edited by ThreeBlessings

I've noticed over the last year or so that the majority of the people in my life (both online and IRL) have a very different definition of this phrase than I do!

I can't tell you how many people have said "we don't either" and then commented about how they were going to have to buy a new washer & dryer (or whatever the item of choice is) because theirs broke. Um...how?

So, I'm curious....am I in the minority? Do people just mean they don't have any extra without dipping into savings or credit (which they don't want to do, but will if they have to)?

I have noticed the exact same thing!!! I use the expression the way you do, to mean we have absolutely NO MONEY, anywhere, but a lot of others I've noticed mean they have no money that isn't otherwise accounted for. They could have thousands of dollars designated for a vacation, to pay all their bills, and to buy major appliances and furniture, but they'll say they have no money. I can't help but feel a little twinge when I hear that, knowing how much more difficult our situation is, but I know they aren't trying to be hurtful. They're just using the expression differently.

I guess we are different. When we say "we have no money" it means we are down to about $500 and still a couple of days till payday. This is only because sometimes we have bills that clear our account (usually student loan payments) on the day before payday though so we always keep a buffer just in case we forget about a bill or a check that one of us might have wrote, etc. We certainly don't go shopping when we say we have no money though unless it's for basic needs!

ETA: We also don't use credit cards and we don't consider ourselves broke when we're not. When we say "we have no money" it means we don't have extra money, I guess.

Edited by Misty

It amazes me also how many people think they are broke. I will hear how things are tough for them yet, they take their family of 6 out to dinner and then to the movies. For us times are tough. My dh has 2 jobs and I stay at home with the 4 young'n and homeschool. We moved to MN 6 years ago. Sold the home in MI just as the economy there was tanking. The very little we got from the sale of the home was used to pay off the credit card that was used to fix up the home so we could sell it. (Got rid of the CC after that.) Homes in MN were twice as much as in MI. We now had no down payment. Lived with the in-laws for 2 years and are now in a rental. Rent is going up so we are searching the house and garage to sell items to help make the rent payment. Once had the american dream, maybe some day we will again. (sigh!)

My definition of "we have no money" is the same as the OP's.

And, yes, this has been us for a while now. We have NO money, not sure when we're getting more, and I'm not sure what I can come up with for dinner tonight. :tongue_smilie:

Just a few months ago I had a conversation with a couple from our church about having "no money". Oh, they had "no money" but they had just purchased their 5th flat screen TV and they were about to leave for vacation.

Give. Me. A. Break! :glare:

I think the difference is in the context. I try to distinguish between "no money" and "no money for xyz." "No money" means there is nothing there even for needs. "No money for xyz" means that my priorities won't allow it.

No money is getting paid on Friday, putting enough gas in the gas tank to get back and forth to work until the next payday, and then deciding which bills can't wait any longer. When we lived in FL, if we had not been able to rent from my mother we would have been homeless - I still owe her 3 months rent (and I *will* pay her whether she likes it or not!)

Things are still tight now, but it isn't the same. We do have a LOT more income, but I don't have this fear of not being able to feed my children. I am still stretching meals, trying to conserve money, etc. but we have enough to get by.

I agree with other posters who said that credit does not equal money. I don't have any available credit and we never will. That is what got us into this mess in the first place!!!!

I don't know if it is a minority. It is us for sure. I ran out of gas 100 yards from my house the other day.

No savings, no life insurance, no credit cards.

:grouphug::grouphug:

My definition of "we have no money" is the same as the OP's.

And, yes, this has been us for a while now. We have NO money, not sure when we're getting more, and I'm not sure what I can come up with for dinner tonight. :tongue_smilie:

Just a few months ago I had a conversation with a couple from our church about having "no money". Oh, they had "no money" but they had just purchased their 5th flat screen TV and they were about to leave for vacation.

Give. Me. A. Break! :glare:

Okay, but this makes me curious. What was the context of the conversation? See, I'm wondering: if any of you who very seriously have zero dollars and zero cents were having a conversation with me and you said, "I have NO money," what would you expect my reply to be? If you have zero dollars and I have a hundred, how do you expect me to respond?

I also say, a little defensively, that one does not always know how another is going on a vacation or getting a new TV. There's always the possibility that it was a gift, they won it, Rich Auntie Mabel is taking the whole family on a cruise or it was simply something already planned and the $ set aside before hardship arrived.

Wow..this thread is like eating a big piece of humble pie for breakfast with my coffee.

I'm facing a major lifestyle change wondering "how we're going to do it", and now I feel like a total spoiled brat!

I didn't realize how tough it was financially for people out there. :(

I guess my definition has multiple layers.

We've been trying to save up to pay cash for home repairs. I probably called that "no money".

Then both cars needed repairs, draining the money for the house. Which left us with pretty much "no money".

We do have a balanced household budget so, technically, I should probably say we have "just enough money". But we have to buy ds new socks and underwear today, AGAIN, which made my brain groan and think "no money".

I guess we're in that murky zone of being very fortunate in the big picture, but staring at all the work our house needs and trying to space out curriculum purchases makes it difficult to keep that perspective.

Okay, but this makes me curious. What was the context of the conversation? See, I'm wondering: if any of you who very seriously have zero dollars and zero cents were having a conversation with me and you said, "I have NO money," what would you expect my reply to be? If you have zero dollars and I have a hundred, how do you expect me to respond?

I guess, for me, it isn't necessarily something that would just come up in conversation. I've just had several occasions come up where somebody suggests to me to just do something because we have to. Well, that isn't even an option.

For instance, my camera thread HERE, Justamouse suggested that I absorb the debt to get my camera fixed in order to make some money with my photography business and help us out in the long run. THAT is the type of situation where I say, "no, I mean I LITERALLY have no money - it isn't even an option".

We are in a very awkward financial situation. Dh makes a decent amount of money, enough to where we should have plenty of extra to do what we want, but we have taken on family obligations, so that we are living paycheck to paycheck. We have a nice house, decent car, etc., so we are not suffering in any way. DH does have a 401k that would could use in the event of an emergency, but other than that, we have no savings. We don't have money set aside for repairs or anything. Due to dh co-signing some loans for his brother, our credit rating is shot to h&ll, and my one remaining credit card is maxed. So, when I say "We have no money", I mean that I have used up the current paycheck. The bills and mortgage are paid, groceries are purchased, put gas in the tank. There is usually not much left over. At that point, it would be literally having no money that I could access immediately. Occasionally dh will get a bonus, and we can use it for extras, but he's been told there will be no bonuses this year. So, I've been using up my stockpile of craft supplies making stuff that I hope to sell at craft fairs to get a little extra money for the holidays. I just went on a lovely beach vacation with my mother. I would not have been able to go, but she offered to pay for us. She received some money when her sister passed away in January, so that's how we were able to go.

Do people just mean they don't have any extra without dipping into savings or credit (which they don't want to do, but will if they have to)?

This is what we mean.

We try to follow Dave Ramsey. TRY. We always overspend at this time of the year - school books, trips, outside classes. (Trips, not vacations. Trips are going to see family out of necessity. Vacations are fun.) So we have quite a bit on our credit card right now. But I would tell the kids we have no money if they wanted to do something like go to Great Wolf Lodge or go to Old Navy and buy clothes they don't need.

I don't use that phrase. I will often say "it isn't in the budget" and it isn't. We have become uber careful with the money we have (Dave Ramsey style) so we simply don't spend what isn't budgeted for unless it is an emergency.

However, I am very well aware that we DO have money. I don't take it for granted or say it isn't enough.....it is sufficient. I am thankful.

:grouphug: to all of you struggling right now.

Dawn

When my husband and I are discussing finances, "no money" means "don't pick up a coffee this morning or you'll bounce the mortgage check."

It's not an excuse I offer to other people unless I really have to. Typically, I will find another reason that I can't participate in something beyond my financial means.

I don't use that phrase. I will often say "it isn't in the budget" and it isn't. We have become uber careful with the money we have (Dave Ramsey style) so we simply don't spend what isn't budgeted for unless it is an emergency.

However, I am very well aware that we DO have money. I don't take it for granted or say it isn't enough.....it is sufficient. I am thankful.

:grouphug: to all of you struggling right now.

Dawn

I haven't read through this entire thread, but when I read the OP, this is what I thought - I try not to use this phrase. But, it took a good friend going through a hard time to make me realize that that phrase could be hurtful. She literally had no money when she said she didn't have the money for something.

Anyway, I agree with you Dawn. I am thankful every day and know that it could change in a blink of an eye.

And, I'm sorry to everyone having a hard time right now.

They ate out for supper. I sat in the van conserving the oatmeal cakes/not eating. We ate well in the cafeteria of the Monastery during our time there. On the way home, I didn't eat lunch when they stopped because I'd had a nice breakfast before we left, and for supper they chose to try to go through a drive through with all of those people - at least it was entertaining while they sorted that out. I ate the salad croutons and the oatmeal cakes.

I'm shocked that none of your classmates offered to buy you anything or give you half of their meal, etc. Even if I was on a tight budget myself, I'd feel guilty sitting there eating my food while someone else skipped lunch and then just ate an oatmeal cake for dinner. :(

I haven't read this whole thread, so this may have been said. A couple years back a friend of mine called me out on this. When I say I am broke - I mean that while I may have money in the bank - it is not for spending because we have spent our allowed amount for that time period. Only for a short time in our life did it really mean that we had nearly no money in the bank. My dear friend pointed out that when she said she was broke - she meant that she had NO money or very little money i.e. $10 in her purse. We both live very differently, but as with most things... difference are just different...not good or bad... just different.

when I have used that term for our family it meant we had only what was in the checking account. it meant the credit card was maxed out, nothing in savings, and less than $10 in checking...meaning I couldn't physically buy ANYTHING until payday. Been there a long time and it was awful.

I agree some people use the term too loosely these days. Don't tell me you have no money and then go buy shoes or get a pedicure.

Things for us now can get tight(like today I couldn't buy anything on the debit card) but I have cash or credit cards I could use. I just chose not to anymore. I try to not use the term now that I do have access for emergencies.

I guess, for me, it isn't necessarily something that would just come up in conversation. I've just had several occasions come up where somebody suggests to me to just do something because we have to. Well, that isn't even an option.

For instance, my camera thread HERE, Justamouse suggested that I absorb the debt to get my camera fixed in order to make some money with my photography business and help us out in the long run. THAT is the type of situation where I say, "no, I mean I LITERALLY have no money - it isn't even an option".

Well, in the instance of the camera thread, which I just read, I would probably have been likely to make a suggestion very much like JustaMouse. The fact that you sent it in for repair doesn't hint that there's no chance you can pay hundreds of dollars to fix it, ykwim? What is wrong with your camera? Twice now, I have resolved problems with my Nikon D70s by just chatting with an employee at an upscale photographic equipment store. In one instance, I needed to use a cotton swab and a dab of alcohol. In another, I needed to purchase a $12 air bulb. Of course, yours may not be a self-repair possibility; I don't know.

Is your financial situation somewhat temporary, related to a particular circumstance (such medical bills and no insurance, or the car blew up and it wasn't insured) or is it a chronic situation that will not change until more income enters the picture?

Is there any friend who owns a nice digital camera that could loan your theirs for a few weeks until you can get some paid photography work, allowing you to fix your camera and then build up the photography business? Because honestly, if you were my friend and I knew that all that was standing between you and getting back above water was a couple weeks with a working camera, I would certainly lend you mine. Are there any photographs that you currently own that could be sold for stock or freelance?

First of all, I want to clarify that I am, in no way, upset with JustaMouse for making that suggestion, it was just a perfect example of the type of situation in which our financial situation would come up in conversation. I was given a gift of $100 that I was hoping would cover the repair. Or, I was hoping that the repair would cost a large sum and we could turn it in to insurance (our homeowners) and it would cover our $100 deductible. Our insurance agent (FIL) has recommended that for $212, we do NOT turn it into insurance, so now I'm stuck.

Our financial situation, unfortunately, is chronic. DH just does not make enough to maintain a family of 5. Short of additional income, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. At least not any time soon. DH is a full time student, but is several years away from a degree.

I don't know anyone that owns a DSLR that doesn't need it for their own business. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to maintain the quality my clients are used to with anything less than a DSLR. I swear I'm not stuck up or stubborn - trust me, I'm desperate for $$, but I just can't risk my name with something less than the quality I usually produce. (http://www.bellatuphotography.com - if you're curious)

What is wrong with my camera? I have no idea! It's giving me an error and won't do ANYTHING.

Well, in the instance of the camera thread, which I just read, I would probably have been likely to make a suggestion very much like JustaMouse. The fact that you sent it in for repair doesn't hint that there's no chance you can pay hundreds of dollars to fix it, ykwim? What is wrong with your camera? Twice now, I have resolved problems with my Nikon D70s by just chatting with an employee at an upscale photographic equipment store. In one instance, I needed to use a cotton swab and a dab of alcohol. In another, I needed to purchase a $12 air bulb. Of course, yours may not be a self-repair possibility; I don't know.

Is your financial situation somewhat temporary, related to a particular circumstance (such medical bills and no insurance, or the car blew up and it wasn't insured) or is it a chronic situation that will not change until more income enters the picture?

Is there any friend who owns a nice digital camera that could loan your theirs for a few weeks until you can get some paid photography work, allowing you to fix your camera and then build up the photography business? Because honestly, if you were my friend and I knew that all that was standing between you and getting back above water was a couple weeks with a working camera, I would certainly lend you mine. Are there any photographs that you currently own that could be sold for stock or freelance?

:iagree: If I had one to share, I would. I actually only have a film camera.

First of all, I want to clarify that I am, in no way, upset with JustaMouse for making that suggestion, it was just a perfect example of the type of situation in which our financial situation would come up in conversation. I was given a gift of $100 that I was hoping would cover the repair. Or, I was hoping that the repair would cost a large sum and we could turn it in to insurance (our homeowners) and it would cover our $100 deductible. Our insurance agent (FIL) has recommended that for $212, we do NOT turn it into insurance, so now I'm stuck.

Our financial situation, unfortunately, is chronic. DH just does not make enough to maintain a family of 5. Short of additional income, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. At least not any time soon. DH is a full time student, but is several years away from a degree.

I don't know anyone that owns a DSLR that doesn't need it for their own business. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to maintain the quality my clients are used to with anything less than a DSLR. I swear I'm not stuck up or stubborn - trust me, I'm desperate for $$, but I just can't risk my name with something less than the quality I usually produce. (www.bellatuphotography.com - if you're curious)

What is wrong with my camera? I have no idea! It's giving me an error and won't do ANYTHING.

I felt bad about that answer, but what I was trying to get at is that there is good debt and bad debt. And sometimes on these boards everyone lumps ALL debt in the bad column. That is just not true. It's personal as it has to do with drive and determination, but most businesses start off with debt. If photography is your thing, and it can be the difference between eating and not, I would beg, borrow and come close to stealing to manage to get my hands on one.

I have a friend who just bought a new digital. Let me see if she'll part with her old one. :grouphug: