Menu

Inquiring minds want to know: How many bedrooms does your house have?

How many bedrooms in your house  

1. 1. How many bedrooms in your house

• 9 or More

57 and the smallest is 20x20.

Hey, me too! We must have had the same architect.:lol:

Actually, I did dream last night that my husband surprised me by buying another house (ours is teeny). The house was just as teeny as our real house, but there was a huge warehouse with hundreds of rooms on the property as well.

I've also dreamed that we had a finished basement that we didn't realize was there before (how could we have overlooked that?) and once I dreamed we lived in a shopping mall. I guess I feel squished sometimes.:D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We live in an old Victorian with 17 rooms, 8 official bedrooms but 2 other rooms could theoretically be used as bedrooms. Before living here we lived in a 2 bedroom + small nursery (size of a closet) house... years later I still am not used to all the space. It's a real blessing.

That's the way we are. We went from 1000 sqft to ginormous.

7/8 beds (there's rooms in the attic that were apartments) and 4 baths now with plumbing in the attic for 2 more. Hopefully MIL will come live with us and we'll build all that space out.

We live in an old Victorian with 17 rooms, 8 official bedrooms but 2 other rooms could theoretically be used as bedrooms. Before living here we lived in a 2 bedroom + small nursery (size of a closet) house... years later I still am not used to all the space. It's a real blessing.

This sounds so nice. I love old Victorians! My dd wants a victorian when she grows up (at least, that's what she wants right now). She actually wants the castle in Mt. Airy, MD.

Technically we have four, but one is a walk-through that's being used as their dressing room, and all their beds are in one shared room - so we've all been sleeping in two rooms :). The remaining room hasn't been fixed up since we moved in and dh has had his computer there.

Older two are planning on moving in there very soon and are picking out wallpaper! Everyone's clothes go into their own bedrooms and the walk-through is becoming a guest room, or someplace we might be able to put an exchange student someday.

We also currently only have 1 1/2 baths (I grew up with only one, so an extra toilet is a luxury!). We've had a second full bathroom plumbed with all the fixtures sitting in boxes in the room for, oh, 16 years? Dh was supposed to finish it way back, but now with the girls moving, it's supposed to be a big priority. :toetap05:

Lidiya,

Non-traditional is a room that wasn't meant for a bedroom and doesn't have bedroom features (such as a closet). We can't just put a wardrobe in there either. We would have to build a real closet which would take up some of the room in there so not really worth it for us. Our boys' bedroom is big enough for the three boys (ages 1, 3, and 4). If we got an older boy (like 12), we'd put a loft bed in my son's room. We have room enough for 3 kids in the girl room; but right now, only one girl is in it (the baby is in our room). No one can share a room with my daughter because she's an adult. At first she didn't like that, but I think she's glad in some ways now :) Having her own room means she can get away from kids on occasion :)

We actually didn't plan on having so many so soon. We planned on 2-3 foster kids at a time, fostering until our forever kids came...maybe doing it twice, ending up with 6-8 kids total. But I have to say that I'm happier than ever having a houseful. It is a lot of work, especially considering some of my kiddos' needs; but I wish we could afford (money and time wise) even more.

I voted 4, but mine doesn't even have a closet! It's just the other side of the house from the living room. I live in a renovated c.1900 farmhouse and the whole upstairs is divided into just 2 rooms... they are HUGE! Ds's room is the largest at a little more than 15x12... and I'll post a pic so no troll comments, please! :D

We only have 1 bathroom & NO tub... just a shower. What I love is that the rent is over $200 cheaper per month than my old place in town. And the landlord is WAY nicer, too!

post-4633-13535085273582_thumb.jpg

post-4633-13535085303647_thumb.jpg

post-4633-13535085273582_thumb.jpg

post-4633-13535085303647_thumb.jpg

I chose "5," but right now the downstairs bedroom (which is not the master; that's upstairs) we're using as an office. Some day when we're old decrepit and can't get upstairs, it will be our bedroom. :D

But back when we were actually hsing, we only had three bedrooms, which wasn't bad, of course, since there were only two dc. No family room, though; hsed at the kitchen table. I would have *loved* to have lived here when we were hsng.

Ours is 5 bed 4 bath but 1 bed and bath are over the detached garage. Our house is really much bigger than we planned. We had a hard time finding a house.

Our crazy master bedroom suite is bigger than our 1st apartment. (500 sq ft)

Its funny to think we had 3 kids in that tiny space. We are now back down to 3 kids but have lots of visitors including our oldest daughter.

Heather

The house we have now is quite large, unlike our Southern California house!

We currently have 4 official bedrooms, plus a bonus/play room that could be a bedroom if necessary.

The mater bedroom is ridiculously large. We have a fireplace in there and a TV with a sitting area/2 laZBoys facing the fireplace/TV, so it is used a bit as a den during the day.

We also have a sunroom and a full basement as extra rooms we didn't have before.

Dawn

4 bed, 4 bath....but, the previous owners, who built the house, left the (finished) room we use for storage as a 'bonus' that is plumbed for an additional bathroom, laundry room, kitchen area and can be (it's pretty huge) configured to create an in-law suite with private entrance - the space is laid out with what would be a walk-in closet set in the space that would be walled for a bedroom, space where a kitchen would go (plumbed) and an area that would be the living dining area. We've thought about finishing it as an in-law suite, but since DH's parents live down the road and my parents have no intention of moving here any time soon, we just keep it as a storage room....they never reconfigured since it would raise their taxes and we keep it as it is, finished but not as a multiple room space or creating an additional bathroom & bedroom since it would raise the taxes.

In the current phase of our church redo, we have three formal bedrooms and one of the boys likes to use the unfinished balcony. Eventually that balcony will have two more bedrooms. So two boys share a room, dd has a room, and then dh and I while adventure boy sleeps upstairs in a free-standing hammock! We keep offering to move his bed up there; apparently, he loves the hammock.

We also only have one bathroom in this phase. However, phase two will include the master bath for dh and I.

Phase two was greatly delayed when the roof decided it just could not last two more years. We now have a beautiful, dark blue metal roof. It was completed on Tuesday evening so that our neighbor could promptly come running over to tell us she hated the color, "Why on earth didn't you order green?" (She had her hands on her hips and was shaking her finger at me. :001_huh:)

Anyway, two more bedrooms, one bath, and finished spiral staircase, and a new front door along with new ceiling in the foyer await us about 2.5 years from now. Well, unless we go overseas...then everything is on hold.

I grew up with a four bedroom house - one bedroom for my mom's mother.

Faith

Church re-do? Was your house a church? Wow - I want to hear more! Cool!

I needed the "other" option. We have 2 "real" bedrooms and one room that only fits our king size bed touching the walls on three sides and with 2 feet of space on the door side, that we built out of the corner of our living room when baby girl was born.

The other bedrooms are 9 x 9.5 and 9 x 12, dh and I are in the smallest (non-bedroom) but our dressers are in the biggest with a bed for the little guys (they currently share a twin when they aren't sleeping with us). Oldest dd gets the 9 x 9.5 room with a loft bed to give some more space.

We live in a little old house with a huge yard. I love our quirky house..it's a rental.

When I moved in, I was a single parent and it was just DD and I. It only has two bedrooms and one bathroom. One bedroom is TINY, I mean..super tiny. The other bedroom is huge. I gave DD the huge bedroom as she had a big desk, etc.

I was fine with the tiny room until SO started cohabitating! Now it's so difficult to manage. I don't want a house that is very large but I do want a bigger bedroom.

I would also like one additional room for an office. I work at home and my current "office" is a corner of the living room!

The irony of our situation is, we moved into a very expensive area in Los Angeles (Westwood/Beverly Hills) because we wanted the best public school in town (ranked in the top 5 in S.CA). We had to get a 2 bedroom small apartment to afford the $2,100.00 rent. We could have taken a much bigger home elsewhere but no, this school was supposed to be the BEST!

Now we're homeschooling, and still paying the same rent.

The irony of our situation is, we moved into a very expensive area in Los Angeles (Westwood/Beverly Hills) because we wanted the best public school in town (ranked in the top 5 in S.CA). We had to get a 2 bedroom small apartment to afford the $2,100.00 rent. We could have taken a much bigger home elsewhere but no, this school was supposed to be the BEST!

Now we're homeschooling, and still paying the same rent.

I moved to one of the most expensive areas in this region for the amazing schools. Now I'm not even using them! lol

Our current house has 4 bedrooms. The biggest house we've lived in was in Italy and had 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. It was heaven and I was so sad when we left it (and yes, we did pay someone to clean it but over there you can get cleaning help for dirt cheap).

Lidiya,

Non-traditional is a room that wasn't meant for a bedroom and doesn't have bedroom features (such as a closet). We can't just put a wardrobe in there either. We would have to build a real closet which would take up some of the room in there so not really worth it for us. Our boys' bedroom is big enough for the three boys (ages 1, 3, and 4). If we got an older boy (like 12), we'd put a loft bed in my son's room. We have room enough for 3 kids in the girl room; but right now, only one girl is in it (the baby is in our room). No one can share a room with my daughter because she's an adult. At first she didn't like that, but I think she's glad in some ways now :) Having her own room means she can get away from kids on occasion :)

We actually didn't plan on having so many so soon. We planned on 2-3 foster kids at a time, fostering until our forever kids came...maybe doing it twice, ending up with 6-8 kids total. But I have to say that I'm happier than ever having a houseful. It is a lot of work, especially considering some of my kiddos' needs; but I wish we could afford (money and time wise) even more.

The closet thing again! Did you see my own reply about having 3 bedrooms in our (rented) home IF you count the carpeted, painted, has a bathroom w/shower, full of bedroom furniture basement... but that the city house checker guy said it doesn't count without a closet? What's with the closet??

I think what you're doing is wonderful :001_wub: - I do wish they wouldn't be so freakin' picky because there are SO many kids who need a caring, safe place and wouldn't give a monkey's butt as to whether they had a built in closet. [speaking as a kid who spent from 12-19 as a permanent ward of the province]

we have 6 1/2.

we use 5 bedrooms as bedrooms. one of them is a sleep-out ( called a bungalow here in Australia)it is a bedroom detached from the house. one bedroom is used as a combined computer room and dressing room for DH & me ( his allergies are so bed we have nothing but the bed in our bedroom). The 1/2 bedroom is 7*9 metres and used as a sewing room. we are hoping to get approval for permanent care/adoption shortly, and it will be turned back into a bedroom.

Our house is 2000 square feet ( DH converted it to feet for me).

Only three of the rooms have built in closet, we use wardrobes. Many , Many houses in Australia don't have built in robes.

Edited by melissaL

Lidiya,

That wouldn't be allowed in Australia. Foster children have to have their own bedroom ( a sibling group of 2 under 5 can share).

That wouldn't be allowed in Australia. Foster children have to have their own bedroom ( a sibling group of 2 under 5 can share).

Must be different in different states. My friends foster and they have 4 sets of bunks in the boys room and 3 in the girls room and all the kids (foster and their own) share the rooms.

Must be different in different states. My friends foster and they have 4 sets of bunks in the boys room and 3 in the girls room and all the kids (foster and their own) share the rooms.

I am in Victoria, we have been registered for fostering for 2 years, that is the regulation here. And with the permanent care agency, they won't even allow bunks.

Ridiculous. Maybe they have so few foster children they can do that? I don't know.

The average home has only 3 or 4 bedrooms. If a family has a kid or two themselves, that would mean they couldn't take in more than one kid? Good thing if you want to discourage people "doing it for the money" (I have a real issue with that comment as I can think of much easier things to do for what comes out to 92 cents per hour!).

But there are so many kids needing places. When we have an opening, we get LOTS of calls. It is terribly sad. It doesn't take a week to get full again. Not only do you have kids coming into the system, but then there are kids like each one I've had so far who have been moved from other foster homes.

I thought about raising my license since I inquired about the one sibling group and will have to have the license changed to take them, but I *know* they'd call me with kids and I'd find it hard, if not impossible, to say no for long. In fact, as soon as I tell my agency about the plans to move the babies by the end of the month, I have no doubt I'll get the calls for "foster mom put in 30 day notice on these kids; can you take them when your babies leave?" We have had those situations twice before! Not even an open bed but they are trying to fill them as soon as they open up. We will consider, for those places, children ages 5-12. We just want to help.

Anyway, it is very sad here.

ETA: Our home is officially big enough for 9 minor children assuming one is an infant. My son counts as one of those. However, our current license is for 6 (counting ds).

ETA2: Our landlord feels like he is helping the kids in his own small way by renting to us.

He also feels better about it because he knows there are people here A LOT (see current blog post) and so the house is kept up.

Our lease says 7 people unless notated otherwise in writing. He knows we have had 9 all but 3 weeks we've been here.

Edited by 2J5M9K

3 if you count the basementĂ¢â‚¬Â¦.dd14 lives down there - it doesn't count as a bedroom when the city guy does the assessment thing because it "doesn't have a closet"Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ I don't know why that matters - it's carpeted, texture painted walls, is full of bedroom furniture, has a bathroom w/ shower and toilet (washer/dryer in there too)Ă¢â‚¬Â¦ sure looks like a bedroom to me. :tongue_smilie:

My bedroom closet is so small,that bedroomshouldnt count as a bedroom. A mere foot wide.

We have four, but it only assesses (is that the right spelling? - Ds is giggling over my shoulder:glare:) as a 3 bedroom b/c DD's room does not have a window... (converted attic space). However, they never spend time in their rooms, so Dh and I always talk about just having a bunk room for sleeping or a bunch of those Japanese style capsules for the kids and a big play/rec room.

We have 5 bds, 2 1/2 baths. One room, by fire standards, isn't technically a bedroom because of the windows...too high...but we use it as a bedroom anyway. All three girls have their own rooms and we use the fifth as an office. It's a very old house and needs a ton of work but we are truly spoiled with the space. And if we really 'go there', we're just spoiled to have a roof over our heads. So thankful!

I want to see them!

0 bedrooms in our house, just three,what I call cubbies, measuring 6'x7' and open to the living area that will eventually have a curtain that can be drawn across. If the house ever gets finished:tongue_smilie: The whole house is under 1000 sq.ft. so I wanted the kitchen/dining/living area to be a big as possible.

My folks house(where we are lucky enough to stay until ours has facilities) has 5 bedrooms, 3 baths. I think it's around 2700 sq.ft.

I do have pictures of my house if anybody wants to see them;)