Menu

How much is a gallon of milk where you live?

15 hours of moving in 108 degree heat, up to the third floor.

It's ten at night and we've been at this since 7 a.m. never eating...ugh.

So. Finally. Go to Grocery Store to find something to eat.

Six bucks for butter (this is Albertsons)? 5.50 for a gallon of milk?

What kind of joke is this? :001_huh:

Milk- $2.79/gallon at Winco (name brand)

Butter- $2.49/lb. at Costco (Kirkland brand)

Okay, after seeing the previous replies, I feel guilty having complained that all dairy products have gone up in price. String cheese DID skyrocket. It was $2.50 for a 12 pack last year. Now it's $3.79. I used to be able to get a 24 pk. for $4.50...now it's up over $7. :glare:

I just got back from the store a little while ago and it was $2.49 for a gallon of whole milk. (That's not on sale; I normally pay under $2.) The store was running a promo, though - buy 4 General Mills cereals and get 2 gallons of milk free! Awesomeness.

4 liters of raw milk from my neighbor costs $1.77

4 liters of bagged, pasteurized milk (the closest thing to US regular milk) costs between $3.00 and $3.35

4 liters of ultra-pastuerized boxed milk costs $4.75

Butter costs about $2.50 a pound, or maybe less.

It's difficult for me to find bagged milk because it doesn't have a very long shelf life and there's very little demand for it in my town. Most people buy a liter or two a day of milk from a neighbor, or maybe more if they make other dairy products. Since the average salary in Kyrgyzstan is less than $200/month, milk is relatively expensive here.

Regular price at wal-mart right now is $2.48/gal., but I bought it on sale ad-matched to Fry's for $1.59/gal. With ad matches I can usually get it for $2/gal or less, as someone or other will have it on sale.

Now, getting it home in triple digit weather with no car...that's another conversation!

At the regular grocery store where I stopped to pick up a few things yesterday, they wanted $6 for the brand name milk, and $4 for the store brand. I usually buy milk at Costco where it's $3, give or take depending on skim/whole.

With conversions and exchange rates, I'm paying US $5.40 for a gallon of milk, and that's only because I am able to buy wholesale from the milk delivery man. If I was buying at the store it would be US $8.05 per gallon.

(I pay BR R$2.30 per liter, so I'm first converting liters to gallons, then doing the exchange rate....)

I'm in Sao Paulo (ish) Brazil.

$3.57 for regular (store brand), $6.29 for organic.

ETA Butter is inconsistent, though. One store has its store brand 1lb for $3.89 (organic $6.99), another store has their store brand for $2.39 (organic $6.99), and yet another store has a few organic varieties starting at $3.89 up to $5.99. I don't understand the massive fluctuation there.

Edited by LauraGB

We pay $4 a gallon from our friends farm 8 miles down the road for creamery milk. Good stuff! Their butter is $5 lb. Store bought cheap milk is just under $4 at WalMart, but that stuff is gross...always starts to taste funny after a few days. The better milks from Kleinpeter (local dairy here) are over $5.50.

At our nearest supermarket:

$2.59/gallon for the cheapest kind.

$2.99/gallon for store brand (seems like store brand would be priced lowest, but it isn't).

Somewhere around $6/gallon for organic.

But -- it depends on the supermarket here. Some price their store brands at $4/gallon.