Menu

Book Thread: Last, Current, Next?

What book did you read last, what book are you currently reading, and what book will you read next?

The last book I read was: Hit List by Laurel K. Hamilton (latest in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series).

The book I am currently reading is: The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

The book I plan to read next is: A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (the third in the series- I loved the first two, waiting for this one to be available at my library).

And just for fun, most recent Read Aloud in my house was: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.

Your turn!

Last- George RR Martin's A Feast for Crows.

Currently Reading- George RR Martin's A Dance With Dragons

Next- ? (I just read books on a whim. Whatever suits my fancy at the time, though I'm open to suggestions.)

The last book I read was The Count of Monte Cristo (by, ??? Dumas....)

The current book I am reading is -- none. wow. How weird.

The next book I'll read is probably Gulliver's Travels, or else Otto of the Silver Hand. Or I'll re-read Harry Potter Deathly Hallows after we see the final movie. Something like that.

No recent read-aloud, unless you count If you give a mouse a cookie... which I read every night to my youngest. The older boys are reading enough on their own that I kind of dropped read alouds.....

I just finished Jane Eyre. It was my favorite book in high school and I wanted to see if I still liked it. I did.

Right now I'm reading The Scarlet Pimpernel and for fun Ptolemy's Gate

I don't know what I'll read next. I was going to read The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde and switched to The Scarlet Pimpernel as a pre-read for ds. I'll probably return to Jekyl and Hyde next.

Last: Rainbow's End by Martha Grimes and 1984 by Orwell

Current: almost finished with The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K.Chesterton

Next: Don Quixote

I have a selection on non-fiction going currently but the above are my fiction selections.

Edited by CynthiaOK

Last: Speaks the Nightbird

Current: Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Next: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller (although, this may jump to the current list if my self-control fails)

Current Read Alouds: Chamber of Secrets (bedtime with 7yo), The Secret Garden (with boys), Sophie's World (with girls), Ender's Game (at lunch time), and The Two Towers (with dh when he's available)

Last: Dark Fire by C. J. Sansom - Second in a series and Moonstone (I all ways have at least 2 books going)

Current: 1984 and Deadheads - 7th in the Dalziel and Pascoe series

Next: What is Reformed Theology by R. C. Sproul and Until We Have Face by C. S. Lewis

I am also listening to the Hamish Macbeth series whilst I knit.

Last- The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen (yuck)

Now- The Sixth Man by David Baldacci

Next- still trying to decide :tongue_smilie:

So glad it wasn't in my head! I just couldn't get into that one. I kept falling asleep.

Last: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - loved it!

Currently: Page After Page: Discover the Confidence and Passion You Need to Start Writing and Keep Writing (No Matter What!), by Heather Sellers - it's okay

Next: Undecided

Last: Story of Painting by Sister Wendy

Current: Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Next: Unscientific America, How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens Our Future by Christ Mooney

Oh, and though not books, I've been absolutely devouring National Geographic and National Geographic Traveler when they arrive - so have the kids! It's a bit of a problem because it's making us long for, dream of, travel to places we can't afford.

Faith

Last - Pride & Prejudice

Current - Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies; Persuasion; and Sense & Sensibility

Next - I should really finish Acedia & Me or 10 Ways to Destroy the Imagination of your Child

Read Alouds:

Breakfast: Tales from The Odyssey (Part 2) by Osborne

Lunch: Trumpet of the Swan by White

Dinner: The Phantom Tollbooth by Juster

Just finished: several alphabet mysteries by Sue Grafton (ahhh! reading in my imaginary beach chair!) and preread The Thirteenth Princess by Diane Zahler (adorable--fun voice, fresh take on the 12 Dancing Princesses)

Currently reading: The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism, by Timothy Keller (love it so far)

Next up: I don't know! ack!!! the pressure! Suddenly feeling an urge to reread Ender's Game, so I might do that.

Read alouds: Working through The Little Prince (the pop-up version, have you seen this?! this is the reason pop-ups were invented. Wow), and The Animal Family by Randall Jarrell

Last: Jane Eyre, and The Core by Leigh Bortins

Current: TWTM, and Parenting with Love and Logic

Next: finish Plato's The Republic

Read aloud: just finished Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, started Charlie and the glass elevator.

Last: 1984 (haven't read this since 8th grade. I was surprised to see how many of my colloquialisms are actually derived from this book, like 'thought police'. It was very interesting to consider when it was written, and what the worldview was at that time.)

Current: Hiroshima by Ronald Takaki--I bought this last weekend at an Obon festival. It's interesting in a train wreck in slow motion kind of way.

and

A Room With a View

Future:

Maybe "Brave New World"--I originally read this with 1984, so I'll probably do it that way again.

Last: The Help (Stockett) (Well, right after The Help, I started Bossypants (Tina Fey), but only made it about a third of the way in before I decided to shelve it as an annoying waste of time instead of funny).

Current: One Thousand Gifts (Voskamp)

Next: Think (Piper)

Right before The Help, I read Half Broke Horses and The Glass Castle. These books were all worthwhile.

Last: Blink - Malcolm Gladwell

Current: I Brake for Meltdowns: How to Handle the Most Exasperating Behavior of your 2-to-5 Year Old (can't remember author names)

Next: And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie

--

Current Read Alouds: The Boxcar Children (during playtime), Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection (just with DS3), whatever picture books become the weekly obsession

Last: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows - loved it!

I loved this book, too!

Last: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (loved this. I just got the movie from Netflix)

Current: The Return of Sherlock Holmes

Next: Not sure. Either another Jules Verne (I have 3 waiting for me), another Sherlock Holmes, or The House of Seven Gables.

Last: The Charlemagne Pursuit by Steve Berry (ugh.)

Current: Safely Home by Randy Alcorn (wow and love)

Next: ??? Maybe continue with the Iliad, unless something else moseys onto my nightstand, lol.

Read Aloud: Charlotte's Web

I loved this book, too!

Last: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (loved this. I just got the movie from Netflix)

Current: The Return of Sherlock Holmes

Next: Not sure. Either another Jules Verne (I have 3 waiting for me), another Sherlock Holmes, or The House of Seven Gables.

I love, love, love, Jules Verne.

Last: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (*really* enjoyed that, thanks for the rec here!)

Current: In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. I'm enthralled already.

Next: Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchel Zuckoff ("A true story of survival, adventure, and the most incredible rescue mission of WWII")

Last - Last Light by Terri Blackstock

Current - Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

Next - The Shakespeare Stealer series by Gary Blackwood

Then - The Canterbury Tales retold by Geraldine McCaughrean, The Hawk and the Dove trilogy by Penelope Wilcock, Do Hard Things by Alex Harris

Eventually - Black by Ted Dekker, How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig by Susan Schaeffer Macaulay, and many more

Last: Bubba and the Dead Woman by C.L. Bevill

Now: The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis and In Front of God and Everybody (The Confessions of April Grace) by K.D. McCrite

Next: The Pastor's Wife by Jennifer Allee or The Golden Acorn by Catherine Cooper or maybe Invisible by Lorna McCourtney

The last book I read: "The Help" (wonderful by the way)

I am currently reading: " Water for Elephants"

Next book : "The Marva Collins' Way" (Returning to Excellence in Education)

and currently "listening to" on audio while house cleaning: Janet Evanovich's "One For The Money" & Dr. Laura's "Parenting by Proxy"

* By the way, The Help on audio was fantastic !! They use 4 different actresses to play out the various parts and it was the best audio I ever heard done ( with the various voices that is). I highly recommend listening to it, it is like listening to a stage play and it is Awesome !!

* I have a HUGE TBR (to be read) pile that grows daily !

Edited by Momma2Many66

I'm loving this list. I'll have to go back through with my library website open. :)

Last: June Bug: Murder-By-Month (Jess Lourey)

Current: Heartless (Anne Elizabeth Stengl)

Next: Not sure! I have 100+ to read on my Nook (all free!) and I usually just pick something that sounds good. I'm debating on breaking down and buying a couple Beverly Lewis books that I really want to read. (The problem with free books, sometimes they'll get you hooked on a series!)

Audio: The Fires of Heaven (Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series - Book #5) - I've read this series a couple of times. The audio is really well done, and it keeps me focused on my house work!

Read Alouds: Black Ships Before Troy & The Secret Garden

Just finished Icefire by Chris D'Lacey and Unnatural Issue by Mercedes Lackey

Currently reading Ambassador's Mission by Trudi Canavan

Next in pile Dragon's Time by Todd and Anne McCaffrey, Fire Star by Chris D'Lacey, and Magicker Chronicles books 3&4 by Emily Drake.

Last: This Dark Endeavor: The Apprenticeship of Victor Frankenstein by Kenneth Oppel.

Current: The Blessing: Giving the Gift of Unconditional Love & Acceptance by John Trent & Gary Smalley.

Next: Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today's Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter by Steven Johnson. I keep hearing about this book so when I came across it at the library I decided it was time to finally read it. I'm dubious about the premise but want to judge for myself after reading his arguments.

Just finished Icefire by Chris D'Lacey and Unnatural Issue by Mercedes Lackey

Currently reading Ambassador's Mission by Trudi Canavan

Next in pile Dragon's Time by Todd and Anne McCaffrey, Fire Star by Chris D'Lacey, and Magicker Chronicles books 3&4 by Emily Drake.

I haven't met anyone who has heard of Mercedes Lackey IRL. She lives around the corner from us. She gave my dh an autographed copy of one of her books. I haven't read it...the cover looks kind of creepy. What do you think of her books?

recently finished: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See

currently: reading Emma and parts of Herodotus' Histories, listening to Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding

next: undecided...Perhaps I will have some ideas after reading the other responses. :001_smile:

What book did you read last, what book are you currently reading, and what book will you read next?

The last book I read was: Hit List by Laurel K. Hamilton (latest in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series).

The book I am currently reading is: The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

The book I plan to read next is: A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (the third in the series- I loved the first two, waiting for this one to be available at my library).

And just for fun, most recent Read Aloud in my house was: James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl.

Your turn!

:lol:

Haha! The book I just finished was Hit List by Laurel K. Hamilton

The book I am currently reading is (for my bookclub): The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I'm looking forward to the movie also.

The book I plan to read next is: A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Apparently we have similar tastes. ;)