Menu

Asking for prayers for my son...

We are so thankful (and drained). Jonathan made it through his surgery with no difficulties and without excessive bleeding. Because his body has been stressed from all the surgeries they are leaving him on the ventilator for now. It was difficult to watch him fighting the ventilator until they finally got the sedation at a level where he can relax. We are back in ICU and he is stable and resting. The doctor was a little surprised at a gelatinous substance in the brain that has formed since Saturday that he has never encountered before (and believe me, he has had plenty of experience). This is most likely the culprit that is keeping the shunt from draining. Only time will tell if this substance will continue to form, and if it does then the likelihood of the shunt working is not very good. This was not good news but we are trying to remain hopeful. Nothing is impossible with God, right? I will probably not post again until we have a better picture of what the results are (but, hey, it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind and mine is not fully functioning right now anyway).

I am trusting the Lord because he has been so faithful to bring Jonathan through so much and I shouldn't doubt his continued faithfulness, but nevertheless, this is so very hard. Every muscle in my body is in knots as I watch him. Thanks so much for everyone's kind words and prayers. Please don't stop praying.

Praying the Lord will be glorified in this situation,

Penny

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm praying for Jonathan as he recovers from the surgery and praying that the gelatinous substance doesn't form and the shunt is able to function. Also praying for you and all who have been with him through the whole ordeal. Your faith is amazing - thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. Praying you are able to get some good rest too. :grouphug:

We are so thankful (and drained). Jonathan made it through his surgery with no difficulties and without excessive bleeding. Because his body has been stressed from all the surgeries they are leaving him on the ventilator for now. It was difficult to watch him fighting the ventilator until they finally got the sedation at a level where he can relax. We are back in ICU and he is stable and resting. The doctor was a little surprised at a gelatinous substance in the brain that has formed since Saturday that he has never encountered before (and believe me, he has had plenty of experience). This is most likely the culprit that is keeping the shunt from draining. Only time will tell if this substance will continue to form, and if it does then the likelihood of the shunt working is not very good. This was not good news but we are trying to remain hopeful. Nothing is impossible with God, right? I will probably not post again until we have a better picture of what the results are (but, hey, it is a woman's prerogative to change her mind and mine is not fully functioning right now anyway).

I am trusting the Lord because he has been so faithful to bring Jonathan through so much and I shouldn't doubt his continued faithfulness, but nevertheless, this is so very hard. Every muscle in my body is in knots as I watch him. Thanks so much for everyone's kind words and prayers. Please don't stop praying.

Praying the Lord will be glorified in this situation,

Penny

Oh, Penny:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: What an absolutely heartbreaking situation. I hope and pray the surgery is a success and your son's suffering will cease! Please keep us posted.

I am so sorry for your son, and I can't even imagine what this is doing to you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Some good news! Jonathan's CT scan this morning showed that the surgery on Wed. has been successful in decreasing the fluid in his ventricles! We are thankful for the first good news in 3 weeks. We are trying to be hopeful but have had to have some really difficult conversations with the doctors today about potentialities if the shunt doesn't continue to work (think hospice - and just so you know, people do not normally die from a shunt malfunction, but it is a very real possibility for our Jonathan. His case is a very unique case and I wouldn't want anyone to think this is the norm or be afraid if you know someone with a shunt. As a matter of fact, the doctors have never had a patient die from a shunt malfunction). My emotions are pretty spent and I don't know that I've processed all the info we got today.

The doctors are checking the fluid for any infection and for the level of protein, and, if all is well, they will take him back to surgery tomorrow to internalize the shunt. We are cautiously optimistic that this will work, but know that he is still in the Lord's hands.

Jonathan still has not woke up fully from all the sedation on the ventilator which was removed this morning with no problems after his CT scan. I really would love for him to be awake before he has to go under again, but that is just the mom in me.

Thanks again for all the kind words, pm's, and prayers. They are still very much appreciated....(ETA: the prayers, I mean)

So thankful for our little ray of hope today,

Penny

Edited by Penny from Tenny
wanted to be clearer

Some good news! Jonathan's CT scan this morning showed that the surgery on Wed. has been successful in decreasing the fluid in his ventricles! We are thankful for the first good news in 3 weeks. We are trying to be hopeful but have had to have some really difficult conversations with the doctors today about potentialities if the shunt doesn't continue to work (think hospice - and just so you know, people do not normally die from a shunt malfunction, but it is a very real possibility for our Jonathan. His case is a very unique case and I wouldn't want anyone to think this is the norm or be afraid if you know someone with a shunt. As a matter of fact, the doctors have never had a patient die from a shunt malfunction). My emotions are pretty spent and I don't know that I've processed all the info we got today.

The doctors are checking the fluid for any infection and for the level of protein, and, if all is well, they will take him back to surgery tomorrow to internalize the shunt. We are cautiously optimistic that this will work, but know that he is still in the Lord's hands.

Jonathan still has not woke up fully from all the sedation on the ventilator which was removed this morning with no problems after his CT scan. I really would love for him to be awake before he has to go under again, but that is just the mom in me.

Thanks again for all the kind words, pm's, and prayers. They are still very much appreciated.

Penny

I am glad you got some good news, even though its still a tough road ahead. I will continue to pray for Jonathon

Thanks again for all the kind words, pm's, and prayers. They are still very much appreciated.

Penny

Glad to read some good news. We will continue to pray for Jonathan! :001_smile:

Penny, I'm glad for the small ray of hope. I'm so sorry that there is even the possibility of hospice. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thank you, Jean. I know. I have been overwhelmed by even the possibility. Tears have flowed. That is one of the reasons that the post by wy kid wrangler last week really hit home. I don't know if I can link it, but I'll try: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286044 .

We all need to be reminded to hold those we love close. We just don't know how long we may have. I appreciated her post very much.

Thanks,

Penny