Menu

Help me find 4 family-friendly movies to show at church

For the first time, we are having a Friday Movie Night outdoors (indoors if it rains) at our church, as a fun thing to do and as an outreach to our community. The movies are free.

We have some ideas, but what are yours? I'm thinking it needs to be appropriate for, say, non-sensitive 5 yos to come.

All I can think of is Swiss Family Robinson. :001_smile:

Don't want too much Disney--royalties are high. Don't want obvious Christian movies (not many are good, and not many "light" enough).

check out "The North Avenue Irregulars". its old, but we laugh until we cry.

what a great idea!

ann

It's Disney too, but one of my favorites. Good "church" movie too.;) Looks like classic Disney really has the market on family movies. Wish it were still so. Babe is really good, we like that one. Oh, what about Rudy? Or even Radio and Blind Side. Don't recall what they're rated, but those may interest your older kids and have good lessons to them.

Blind Side

Facing the Giants

Sandlot

Flight of the Navigator

Mighty Ducks

E.T.

Parent Trap (old and new)

ET and Blind Side have swearing. Sandlot has one really bad obvious word, but nothing else. It is a LOT of fun. Blind Side I wouldn't show to kids that young (didn't you say 5yo?). The issues are just too heavy, imho.

The old Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. My kids love that movie. I haven't seen the new Johnny Depp one, so that one may be good also.

Ooo, love the old one!!

Another vote for Feature Films for Families, they are awesome!:D

The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry and Time Changer are both great Christian family movies but they are rated PG. I throw them out there because they are wonderful movies and you don't hear about them often enough. My 12 and 14 year old kids loved them and so did I.

Wallace and Grommit, Curse of the Wererabbit - hilarious and clean.

The old version of Yours, Mine, and Ours with Henry Fonda and Lucille Ball is awesome. However, there is one scene you would need to evaluate. His children, in an attempt to scare her off, spike her beverage or something when she comes to his house for dinner and she gets tipsy. Otherwise, it's a real hoot!

Dh says the old version of Dr. Doolittle with Rex Harrison. I would like to insert this disclaimer. I despise the song, "If I were a man" which is sung by some frilly woman I am not fond of. However, it is a very kid friendly movie.

Faith

Corrina, Corrina is a cute cute movie about a family who "adopts" a seal/sea lion. Oldie, but such a goodie :).

I think you're mixing this up with Andre, which has the same little girl actress. Corrina, Corrina stars Whoopie Goldberg as the housekeeper who falls in love with the girl's widower father.

We just watched "Cheaper by the Dozen" the old version. My dd was furious with the ending. The father's death is so unexpected! She tends to be a little unforgiving for sad endings.

Are you looking for G or would PG be ok?

There is a new version of The Little Princess and new version of The Secret Garden.

Love the Wallace and Grommits mentioned earlier.

Here's some my 5 yr old likes:

Babe the Pig

Milo and Otis

The original Willa Wonka (although may not hold their attention in the beginning) (haven’t seen the new one of this)

James and the Giant Peach

Alice in Wonderland (haven’t seen the new one with Johnny Depp)

Jonah (Veggie Tales)

Ballad of Little Joe(Veggie Tales)

The Pirates who Don't Do Anything (Veggies Tales)

Larry Boy and the Rumor Weed

The Wizard of Ha's (Veggie Tales)

Larry Boy (Lego My Ego)

Veggie Tales (Minnesota Cuke)

Veggie Tales (Sherluck Holmes)

I think you're mixing this up with Andre, which has the same little girl actress. Corrina, Corrina stars Whoopie Goldberg as the housekeeper who falls in love with the girl's widower father.

You are exactly right! It is Andre! Thanks for clearing that up!

How to train a Dragon--if the royalties aren't too high--our town is showing this tomorrow.

Another vote for How to Train Your Dragon. My 16yo and my 6yo watch it together.

A couple more titles (but they're Disney):

No Deposit, No Return

The Apple Dumpling Gang

Blind Side

Facing the Giants

Sandlot

Flight of the Navigator

Mighty Ducks

E.T.

Parent Trap (old and new)

Space Camp, Flight of the Navigator, Nanny McPhee

Our church did a family movie night. The worship guy was assigned the task of previewing and picking the movies. He totally dropped the ball and at the last minute (day of) asked my dh to do it. So dh thought back to old school fun movies and chose The Flight of the Navigator. He knew he had seen it as a young kid and couldn't remember anything bad, and he didn't have time to preview. Well, it turns out that it has several swear words, including sh**. He was MORTIFIED.