Menu

Is this insulting?

Is it inherently insulting to compare a black person to chocolate?  

1. 1. Is it inherently insulting to compare a black person to chocolate?

• I'm black, & I think it IS insulting.
    • I'm black, & I do NOT think it's insulting.
    • Most of my black friends have indicated that they think this kind of thing IS insulting.
    • Most of my black friends have indicated that they do NOT think this kind of thing is insulting
    • I'm white, & I think it IS insulting.
    • I'm white, & I do NOT think it's insulting.

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/now/naomi-campbell-vs-cadbury/123

I honestly wouldn't have known. I've been embarrassed by other things I didn't know before, though, accidentally insulting people where there was absolutely no intention to do so.

ETA: Wrt the poll, I didn't mean the IS/NOT terms in a prescriptive manner, as in "it's SILLY for anyone to be offended by that"; instead, I meant it more like: "it would not have occurred to me to read this ad as racist," OR "yeah! that ad makes me cringe!" Sorry--I was trying to make the options short enough to fit in the 100 character limit & kind-of ended up wording them badly.

Edited by Aubrey

Apparently to her.

Honestly, it would not have occurred to me that it was about race, but I may just be oblivious.

If it had occurred to me, I would have seen it as positive. I like chocolate a lot. But like I said, sometimes I miss these things, & I'd like to be sensitive to the perspective of others.

When I was teaching, my black students were pretty open w/ me about terms & how they've evolved. This one never came up, but of course, that doesn't really mean anything.

Can't she sue for use of her name without renumeration? Didn't that NZ football player who was famous for jamming a digit in the rectum of someone he was scrimmaging with sue and win against an Australian ad using his name promoting prostate screens?

I don't know who Naomi is, but divas will be divas.

My African American 10-year-old daughter found it offensive. She said that if I call her chocolate, it's because I love her; if someone else (not Black) calls her chocolate, they're calling her different.

Being white, I can't answer for her. Though, I have been called "saltine" or what have you by those meaning to be rude so obviously, I took offense.

But in this situation, I didn't really equate the chocolate with the fact that she is black.

No one other than her can really say whether she actually took offense though or is just doing it to be "diva".

My boyfriend calls himself chocolate all the time, though, so obviously he wouldn't take offense :D

Oh please...they're comparing the chocolate to her diva-ness, not her race. She's got issues.......

How does that make sense? I've never before heard a chocolate-diva connection, but I've certainly heard chocolate-Black connection.

At our last duty station, we were friends with a biracial couple. He often referred to himself as his wife's "chocolate bar". I'd never heard the term chocolate used to refer to black people before. I *think* I heard Ray Nagin refer to New Orleans as a "Chocolate City" shortly after Katrina. When I (as a white woman) hear the term "chocolate" in reference to a black person, I think of a super yummy hawt black man/woman. I don't use the term myself, but in my mind, it is not offensive.

How does that make sense? I've never before heard a chocolate-diva connection, but I've certainly heard chocolate-Black connection.

The way I see it, they are basically saying the chocolate is "all that and a bag of chips" and knows it, just like a diva. I think the diamond part of the ad emphasizes that.

Once again, only my opinion.

Being white, I can't answer for her. /QUOTE]

I think this is important.

I do too, that is why I mentioned it.

But I've faced racism just as much as others of any other race because where I live, I'm the minority.

So, while I can't say whether being called "chocolate" would be offensive to me (unless called "white chocolate" :lol:) I can say that I would not have picked up on race in seeing that commercial or ad.

The first thing that struck me about the line was the racial joke. The diva/chocolate thing is a double entendre.

I am not a person of color. But if I was, I would not appreciate ads like this. Even being white I find them objectionable.

All by itself, I don't think using the term chocolate to describe skin color is usually offensive but, IMO, this ad is. It's calling her out personally, and dressing up a piece of candy to resemble her, and saying they should in some way be in the same category. I'm not sure it would be equally offensive if it were a white chocolate bar and a white person, but that is because white people aren't usually described as "white chocolate." I'm white, if that makes any difference.

I guess they forgot what being a diva is about.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't really know her, and I don't know that I would have considered it insulting when I first saw it, but I see her point. I think advertisers should know better than to refer to a celebrity without his/her permission. I think that's just asking for trouble.

I do not think they meant it to be racial since I cannot fathom a company this large doing anything that might negatively impact their bottom line.

That being said, I think that it was a brilliant bit of stupidity to not see the possible offense in the comparison of a black model, (no matter what her reputation is), and a chocolate bar.

Yes, and I think that was the point of the commercial. She acts like a diva, therefore "move over for the new diva".... I don't think the commercial had anything to do w/ race. She's just on another of her "temper tantrum, I've been wronged again, get me in the news", kicks. jmho

Naomi is considered by some to be a sex symbol. There are some racist views of blacks being all about sex. For some reason when I first read the name of that bar I saw sexual connotations - I first thought it said Dairy Maid Bliss instead of Dairy Milk. Maybe it is just my tired mind but that is what I connected before reading the other comments. I thought sex, not a racist comment. Maybe that is what she is connecting - the old stereotype. Diva or not, unless she was being paid for her name being in the ad, they should not have used her in comparison.

I do not think that there will be a consensus on this. I think just like the black vs AA description, it will depend on the person. I think this was risky for a company to put out there. As a white person, though, it is certainly not my place to say rather this is offensive or not.

On a side note, I was watching family feud last week and they had women wrestlers on and one of them touched Steve Harvey's arm and commented that she really like chocolate :D. He did not seem offended at all, but reminded everyone that he was married and wanted to stay that way. :lol:

I connected it with her diva-ness, not with her skin color. Now that I think about it, I have heard blacks refer to other blacks or themselves as chocolate but that has never been in a negative way. MOre like I prefer chocolate to vanilla when referring to who they want to date. So I don't think it is offensive and neither am I offended if someone calls me vanilla although I personally think I am more like strawberry since I usually have red cheeks.

I'm white. I have a black daughter. It makes me cringe when someone refers to my daughter as "chocolate", unless it's a very young child. I wouldn't say I'm offended by it exactly... I think b/c it's usually used (in our case) as a way to "make her feel better" about her race, if that makes sense. I'm having a hard time explaining it.

Reminds me of when former New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin announced he wanted New Orleans to become more of a "chocolate city" after Hurricane Katrina. Here are some other ethnic possibilities:

African-Americans are now CHOCOLATE Americans.

White folks are now ANGELFOOD Americans.

Native Americans can be called PEMMICAN Americans.

Asian Americans become SAFFRON Americans.

Hispanic Americans will be FRIJOLE Americans.

The Martians, when they land, will be designated AVOCADO Americans.

Ray Nagin is African American, BTW.

I didn't vote in the poll, but whether this was offensive to her or to others, Idk. Just once, I'd like to see a situation like this not be blown out of proportion. Can't she just say she's offended, ask Kraft to take it off and be done with it? This kind of thing makes me tired:bored:

The print at the bottom of the ad said, "I'm the world's most pampered bar, now available in 3 new flavours." This makes it seem to me that they're trying to equate the bar with the type of excess & luxury that people think of when they imagine a diva-- I think the racial subtext was likely unintentional.

And surely she's not the only loaded Naomi in the world.

I don't read into the ad that it's equating her skin color to the chocolate but rather her status as a diva. However, I do not know how the reference to chocolate has been or has not been used in relation to skin color in general. If there is a history there, I am not aware of it.

I do not think they meant it to be racial since I cannot fathom a company this large doing anything that might negatively impact their bottom line.

That being said, I think that it was a brilliant bit of stupidity to not see the possible offense in the comparison of a black model, (no matter what her reputation is), and a chocolate bar.

:iagree: I see it relating to her divaness, not her race. However, common sense should have been a given her. It's fairly obvious to whom they are referring, they should have known better.

TEACH YOUR CHILDREN CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS! TEACH YOUR CHILDREN HOW TO SPEAK UP ON A JOB! Surely someone in that board room selling that ad thought it was a bad idea, but no one pointed it out. GUT IT UP, whoever does the advertising for Cadbury.

I'm white and have no clue if it would offend a black person. However, when Naomi Campbell opens her mouth I just can't listen. Like the boy who called wolf. Always drama. If a concern were raised by someone I respected (and that didn't seem to be in the media only when having a temper tantrum), I would have a lot more compassion.

I don't find it offensive. I am not black. i am not her and she is absolutely allowed her opinion.

On the advertising side....I think it is brilliant advertising to use a reference to someone with a waning career, who is known for going ballistic on racial issues. She has grown up in the public eye since she was a teen. She thrives on it. As her career fades, so does the 'eye'. Stirring up controversy, is how she stays in the eye.

They run one ad, in an overseas market and the controversy she creates over it will get more views of the same ad in worldwide markets, than the company could have ever dreamed of.

Sure they may have to defend a lawsuit, who cares. They will pay less that all the free publicity they just got. Not only is the ad being viewed, but discussed, dissected and debated.

Brilliant advertising!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I don't think I've ever heard a chocolate-Black connection, so when I saw the ad, I didn't think of her race at all, but her fancy-high-fashion-supermodel status. They're saying the chocolate is claiming to be a diva, not that Naomi is chocolate or referring to her race.

Now, I must admit, I'm white, so I haven't had the same experiences a Black person has. And if I had heard (especially more than once) chocolate used in a derogatory or insulting manner referring to Black people, I'm sure my reaction would be different. But I think it's a stretch to assume the ad makers MEANT to be racist, or even knew it would be perceived that way. I would assume they're other white people like me, who have never heard a negative reference to Black people involving chocolate, and were sincerely comparing their "fancy" chocolate to a perceived "fancy" celebrity. Hence, the diamonds in the ad.

Wendi

Oh please...they're comparing the chocolate to her diva-ness, not her race.

Yeah. They even provided a caption so we'd know what they meant.

I'd have thought the connection was the concept of "desirable." Hey, why not feel flattered that Cadbury thinks she's worth competing with? But I'm not only white, I'm Australian, so I'm hardly the person to play spokesman.

Rosie

I didn't vote, bc I'm white. I didn't read the ad as racist. She is a diva, but since I'm white I can't judge the term well.

The issue not mentioned is that Naomi Campbell was a witness in a trial involving blood diamonds a while back. It was a war crimes trial and she was supposed to have been a recipient of conflict diamonds. She testified she returned what she was given and she didn't know their origin. However, being associated with blood diamonds is incredibly damaging to a public image. People who purchase high end stuff don't want to be associated with it. Since her job is an image, companies who use her image are going to think twice about the blood diamond connection.

ETA: being a diva sells--everyone wants to believe they should get what they want once in a while. being associated with brutal killings and torture does not sell. Hope that makes my point more clear.

Edited by betty

Naomi Who?

Is this woman famous for much other than being physically lovely?

I'm onboard with the idea that there are thousands of versions of physical beauty, from platinum blonde bombshells to beautiful black women to hispanics to Asians to ethnically ambiguous to ...

I think she was insulted for the implication that she is a has been and chose to make it be about something else.

Wasn't there a Cadbury ad years ago for some strawberries and cream thing that used lovely redheads with rosey cheeks and some other double entendre tagline.

Of course the ad in question had a double entendre. It sells. The model in question should realize that, since she didn't built a career based on connecting products and braininess or engineering savvy or medical skill or ...

Sigh.

I probably would have found an ad describing Naomi Campbell (or anyone else) as "chocolate" offensive.

THIS add was describing a *product as luxurious and pampered.

Yes, it happens to be a chocolate bar. Yes, surely someone must have seen the potential for controversy before it went out. But they obviously didn't care about any brewhaha or they wouldn't have used any celebrity's name to begin with.

If it had been a pink cellphone being advertised, she would have thrown a similar fit.

I didn't read the article yet but...

Who wouldn't want to be compared to yummy delicious creamy goodness of chocolate?

Especially that Hersey's Special Dark cocoa powder. It makes the most wonderful looking and tasting frosting ever.

I find it offensive, I am a white mama with black children. I think the hard part to understand is that there is a racial history with many things. So while the ad may have been innocent in pitch meetings there is an undertone that is cultural that may cause black people to be offended by the comparision of chocolate to a black model regardless of the actually intention. It has to do with historical context and past hurts...its like when someone breaks my trust and then we forgive but I am quicker to read into actions done as breaking trust because it has happened once. There is a history of racial prejudice/stereotypes/discrimination that only started to fade 30-40 years ago and is not yet completely gone and therefore there are many inadvertant (and purposeful) hurts being done to that community that as a white person I may not understand.

I have no idea if it is offensive as it is outside my frame of reference as a white woman. So I defer to the people that have actual experience with this, and if they say it offends them, then it offends them.

To some of the other comments...

Of course the advertisers knew of the black/chocolate connection. They are in the business of understanding popular culture; there's no way they'd miss this.

There's no doubt it's about Naomi Campbell. They even threw in the diamonds so it would be ultra-clear. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sent her a heads-up so that she was aware and could complain, because I'm betting the complaint was a part of the expected success of this campaign; you don't do something like this referencing a person known for pitching fits and not expect this outcome. As Tap said -- brilliant advertising.

I also wouldn't be surprised if her complaint about the ad being racist was a way to deflect from some of the other unfavourable implications (like the diamond connection).