Menu

An embarrassing female problem

I just discovered that I am allergic to feminine napkins. Last month I had noticed that I was getting a rash "down under" but thought that it might be a moisture problem. I became more scrupulous about changing quite regularly. This month within 5 min. of my first pad, I have a burning rash. I have to run down to the drugstore for something different. Help! What do I get?

You're not alone. You need cloth topped pads, Kotex or I love Always Infinity (NOT the plastic covered regular Always)-these are cloth covered pad tops and come in a black box. They're more $, but I get no rashes.

I know, all you natural padders/Diva Cuppers cringe, but I'm just not there yet. :001_smile:

I became allergic to the deodorants/perfumes and to the ones that had the plasticized covers. I began looking for dry cotton type covers, no additives, etc. and those worked fine for me.... I've had problems with synthetics for more than a dozen years now and I'm hearing that more and more folks are allergic to polyester, etc., too....

First I'm sorry that stinks. I'm allergic to latex so I understand your pain. Are you sure it is all feminine napkins? Maybe it is an added sent, or ingredient particular to that brand. I would consult with your GYN either way. I know that there are cloth napkins, usually sold by the same companies that sell cloth diapers. I know others with similar issues that use them and swear by them. Good luck to you,

Cari

I use cloth pads, made from old receiving blankets, old pj's, and dh's old flannel shirts.

There's a free, easy pattern for these at my web site, plus lots of links to other free patterns and more cloth info. It might not be the whole solution for you, but it might be part of a solution. Even if you don't use them for heavy days, they are great for light days.

http://home.comcast.net/~askpauline/crafts/pads/pads.html

Edited by askPauline
Free!

You could power thru with some cut up t-shirts (fold them for more absorbancy) to get thru this cycle.

http://lunapads.com/more-ways-to-shop/find-a-store - LunaPads sells cotton menstrual pads in several retail shops (not just limited to North America).

There are LOADS of etsy and hyena cart "stores" that sell pads. There are also loads of directions online for making your own. You could also trace a paper pad that you like and make a pattern that way.

I had to go in for my yearly a few days after my period. I had that same type of rash. My doctor took one look and asked me if i used always pads. He said he seen it all the time. He told me to try Kotex. I have used them for years now with no problems.

There's a free, easy pattern for these at my web site, plus lots of links to other free patterns and more cloth info. It might not be the whole solution for you, but it might be part of a solution. Even if you don't use them for heavy days, they are great for light days.

I have always wanted to make these! Thank you SO much!

I just discovered that I am allergic to feminine napkins. Last month I had noticed that I was getting a rash "down under" but thought that it might be a moisture problem. I became more scrupulous about changing quite regularly. This month within 5 min. of my first pad, I have a burning rash. I have to run down to the drugstore for something different. Help! What do I get?

Move to cloth. Seriously. Commercial pads are full of chemicals.

On commercial brands, I get irritated with Always brand also. Not so much with off brand or Kotex.

Edited by mommaduck

I have a cloth diaper forum, and a lot of the people there use cloth feminine pads. There are several people there who have businesses making them as well. You might want to check a few of them out. Here are some I have seen discussed.

Mother Moon Pads

TreeHugger

Pink Lemonade

Pampered Mama

Cloth Indulgence

There are a bunch of people over there who use mama cloth, and I know they'd be glad to answer any questions you might have. If you'd like to check it out, the board is Cloth Diaper Nation. I'd be glad to see you there! (In case you're wondering, there are plenty of people there who don't cloth diaper, and a few who don't even have kids. That's just where the board started.) :)

You could also switch to the Keeper/Diva or one of the disposable versions of them. I know the idea can take some warming up to (it took me 4 years!), but I really am sold on it now. I have almost zero monthly symptoms since switching. :001_smile:

Like SS I use Cloth. There are some very beautiful ones out there for sale, I usually use velour topped with hidden PUL.

I am 100% useless at sewing, so I buy, the brand I have is twinkly Lily, but they are Aussie, but there is a US version of the Shop/Mall I use

http://us.clothpadshop.com/

They are not any trouble at all, and feel way better than plastic stuff, better for the environment too.

In the meantime, not sure how useful this is, but is there the possibility of using ones without plastic backing? Non-waterproof? Its usually not the bit that touches your skin that much, but the "waterproofing" is what usually causes the rashes

Hope that helps hun xxx

7th generation makes the only pads that I can use. I buy them at Vitacost.com as the local store has a huge markup.

I started using these, too. I've purchased them from Amazon and my local Fredy Meyer, and I see Amazon sells them. I have some cloth ones, too, and used to use them more frequently, but got lazy with having to wash them. . .

You could also switch to the Keeper/Diva or one of the disposable versions of them. I know the idea can take some warming up to (it took me 4 years!), but I really am sold on it now. I have almost zero monthly symptoms since switching. :001_smile:

I spent over $30 on a Diva, but after two days of using it,my hemoroid was really flaring up so much that it took many days for me to recover. I would not recommend Diva for any woman that have hemoroid because it causes more pressure and makes the H even worse. My Diva is sitting there being idle. Unfortunately it is a product you can't return once you open it or use it. So after I learned about cloth pads from ladies on this forum, I bought 7 for $25 and have been using them happily since the beginning of this year. I feel good that the environment benefits from this switch as well. I used to use Always and had swelling down there as well.

Alright, you got me. There's no reason for me to not whip up a batch and try.

If you don't want to drop the money on a Diva or a Keeper, you could pick up a box of Instead at Target or a drugstore. They are around $8-9, iirc. They sit up high, like a diaphragm, so it is technically possible to DTD with one in, if one so chooses.

http://www.softcup.com/

If I can grab one at Target, then I'll try that, too. But I have to admit, I feel crampy just looking at it. Touch my cervix at that time and you won't have a face.

I have always had allergies to any of the ones with plastic...dryness...whatever they call it. Only Kotex ultras are good for me...no plastic. I also have used cloth...but prefer to throw that stuff out:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

I've used several types of cloth pads and the best I've found are from Saucy Tots.

http://www.saucytots.com/catalog.php?category=49

I made the switch to cloth several years ago and then added the Keeper for my heavy days. All three of my girls use cloth. My oldest started with disposable, but when I got her to try cloth, she told me to burn all the disposable pads. I still have the all the disposables underneath my sink in case a friend is over here when her period starts.

Pads? Adult women who are not post partum wear pads? I would *die*. After babies, I have my lovely soft cloth, but otherwise, it's all organic tampons until menopause. ;) lol

Tampons never, ever feel right. They are always uncomfortable. So I don't use 'em. My best friend has the same problem, so I guess it's not too uncommon?

I have this same problem with Always. I discovered it a post partum visit after baby #3 and was quite relieved when the mw said it was only the pads I was using. I thought something was really wrong with me!

Yeah, this whole thread has been quite eye-opening for me! I just had a baby 6 weeks ago, and I started having terrible problems after wearing the big, heavy Always pads for a few weeks in a row, post-partum. I couldn't imagine what was giving me such a rash/pain/itching! I now can empathize better when my babies get the irritated raw diaper rash, LOL. I was almost at the end of my bleeding, so I stopped wearing the pads at night, and then not at all, so my problems went away, but I definitely assumed it was me, not the pads, which I've been wearing since I was a teenager. Time to look into some of these other brands.

This was just a weird post-partum time for me, as I also reacted to those disposable panty-things you wear the first day or 2, while you are still in the hospital and bleeding so much. I got a terrible itchy rash from them, everywhere they touched (but thankfully not on any real delicate parts, since those were covered with the big hospital pads). That's never happened before, and it was a good week before the itching went away! Just what you need right after having a baby!

nt

Pads? Adult women who are not post partum wear pads? After babies, I have my lovely soft cloth, but otherwise, it's all organic tampons until menopause. ;) lol

I see I am no help *whatsoever* unless this matters:

www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n%3A3779601%2Cp_n_theme_browse-bin%3A405690011&page=1

I can't wear them until about my 3rd day in. Otherwise I'm on the couch with cramps. They build up too much pressure and dam up the works.

Use a little barrier cream. I've used anything from Desenex to Butt Paste. A little bit goes a long way.

I've been using coconut oil as a barrier. Added benefit is that it's an anti-fungal/bacterial also. Now that I've read this thread and realize the 'real' culprit, I may not need it.

Cloth pads here as well, just love them, I hate the disposable ones now, yucky plastic. The cloth are nice and soft and move with you. I used to use tampons as well but just have no desire to anymore, I prefer the pads.

For those in the post-partum-ly way and using disposable pads (although I suppose you could do it with cloth too) I had a suggestion from my murse to put them in the fridge/freezer, the cooolness helps with the swelling and pain.

I just used Tena? pants for my 3rd child, so yes, walked around in what is meant to be for incontinent people, a bit embarrassing lol, but it was very comfortable, and solved the problem I had the other times with the PP flow getting over underwear and/or clothes. We also had the bed pads like they have at the hospital which gave extra protection to the bedding of a night for me.

PP cloth is quite bigger than normal cloth pads, due to the havy flow, and hence more expensive, so unless you have limited funds, or can sew your own, I usually just use disposable ones PP-ly, one less thing I have to clean for a while anyway lol.

Pads? Adult women who are not post partum wear pads? After babies, I have my lovely soft cloth, but otherwise, it's all organic tampons until menopause. ;) lol

I'm using mainstream ones myself (dear kotex, i love your absorbancy, but i hate the party atmosphere you're trying to create with the multi colored applicators). I had always assumed that most women (and even some teens) used tampons unless there was some sort of physical discomfort (like a PP who said they never feel right). And then I had a friend who said that "nothing is going up there except my husband" and my jaw dropped. oooooooooooooooooookay.