Menu

Sum it up if you can. THE MAIN reason you

The main reason we chose to homeschool isn't the same as the many reasons we continue to homeschool. I was a ps teacher, and felt that our local system was broken. I didn't have a problem with the teachers or the other kids, but the overall system. Initially we wanted to send our son to a private school, but none of the local private schools had a philosophy that didn't clash with ours.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son wasn't learning to read and was learning that he is a failure. My husband was made to feel like that in school and it's something that he struggles with to this day and he's 41. Over my dead body will I let that happen to my baby.

Customized education.

If I could give a second reason...I don't want to miss one moment of my dc's childhood. So I guess if I had to sum that up in one word it would be "selfish" - although that doesn't really sound very nice does it?:tongue_smilie:

There are so many reasons *I* am homeschooling but the one reason that sold my DH was the overcrowded elementary school our children are assigned to. We think a K class should have fewer than 20 students and at our local school they are running around 27-30 per class. The entire elementary school is sitting around 1200 students right now and it is crowded and chaotic.

*I* homeschool for:

1) Customized education for my children

2) I don't want them to be away from home 40+ hours per week when they are 5-10 years old. It is too much time away and I'd miss them, not to mention the amount of peer influence that would happen in that time that I would have to work hardily to undo.

3) I want my children to learn math skills, grammar and know how to spell. None were going to be taught solidly based on the curriculum and scope and sequence listed by our county for the elementary years.

4) Public schools are too test focused right now. I think standards and goals can be great but when that captures the entire focus of a teacher then it becomes not such a good thing. If I thought public ed killed my love of learning WITHOUT the continual testing, I could see the writing on the wall for my own kids.

Top of the list was safety/social reasons... We wanted the children to be raised in a safe environment, free of bullying, and not pick up all kinds of attitudes and habits from other children being raised "differently".

I poured myself into homeschooling for 15 years. I loved being with them, seeing the lights turn on in their minds... I got them out a lot socially and have been proud of the results for most of them. We had some failures that broke my heart... but that's a whole nother topic... (yes, I know nother isn't a word)...

I worked for several years with K-12 students who were struggling and falling through the cracks of the system, students who had decided that they were either incapable of learning or that had all joy of learning completely sucked out of them. Over time, I noticed a pattern of one bad year/teacher in the early elementary years.

Of all the reasons we chose to homeschool, the number one reason was to nurture and protect our children's love of learning as well as their confidence in themselves and their abilities.

Negative socialization. We are secular homeschoolers, but that doesn't mean I want to raise future welfare queens and crack dealers. Negative socialization almost killed my two oldest girls, and one of them is still mired in the pit of the choices she began to make in public school. Her two fatherless children are sitting in my living room right now as she is out getting drunk with her latest crack dealer boyfriend.

choose to homeschool your kids. A single reason. The big one that all the others stem from. I'd love to hear!

There are many many reasons we want to try this, but the factor that led us to make the change right now instead of later is...

dh travels. A LOT. 5 days a week many weeks. We take the kids along for a couple of trips a year but then our days to miss are used up & we miss some great travel opportunities. Plus we just plain miss him. We need the flexibility in our schedule to be able to just go if the stars line up :).

We were already planning to bring the boys home for the junior high years b/c honestly, nothing good happens in junior high imo. But, we're giving it a whirl for an entirely different reason now!

Because no one cares more about my kids than I do. Therefore, I will invest more time, effort, and emotion into making them successful than anyone else. This means I will research the best methods to teach to the individual student, I will allow them to develop according to their "bent" rather than make them follow someone's version of "standard". I will recognize the areas that I am weak in as a teacher and find an alternative method for obtaining that learning. All the other advantages (flexible scheduling, family time, etc.) are all byproducts of this. And if it should happen that I (or dh or the kids) determine that my kids' success would be more assured with another type of schooling, I would certainly entertain the idea. Of course, my definition of success may be different from someone else's definition.

Because I feel educating my children is part of my job as a parent, and I love them so much and love sharing time and learning with them.

In terms of quality of education, individualized academic and social choices, nurturing and fueling the love of learning - I feel I have been provided with the means to put the wind in our children's sails - how could I not, and it's such a privilege to be there with them when they soar!

I'll have to think about the MAIN reason we homeschool. My reason for today (tomorrow's reason may be different!):

I don't want to try and get my children up and ready at 6 am and

I watched that documentary someone linked about the Detroit Public Schools.

Jennifer

The main reason we started homeschooling was a bad DoDDs school while we were stationed in Italy.

The reason we continue to homeschool is because of how good it feels when they finally figure something out and knowing it was because *I* taught it to them. I love being with my kids! My oldest is returning to PS next year at his request and it makes me sad that he won't be here.

Because the public school special ed program here was basically teaching our special needs kids to be stupid and useless and dependant on everyone. With the exception of one amazing teacher, the others weren't interested in teaching our sons.

Along with that was the urging we felt from God.:001_smile:

I wanted my family back.

I had been interested in homeschooling for a while, but our oldest was in a good school and I felt like we had a good partnership with it.

Then we moved, and things changed radically. The demands of homework were excessive. I felt that I had "lost" my dd to the school system and that our entire family was suffering as a result.

That's why it still bothers me when people say that families need to support the schools. That's only half of the story -- I think that schools might be better places if the schools supported the family, and part of that support should involve respecting family time. I realize that that's a minority opinion in an age when many parents (not here ;)) depend on the schools to keep their kids occupied -- but that's my perspective, and that's probably the single biggest factor in my decision to homeschool.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

How could I send my kids into ps after having read TWTM???:confused: How could I contain my frustration over ps writing assignments after reading WWE? How could I send my sweet little mathematicians into the world of EM? How could I let them dine on predigested history and science when I could offer them REAL books and REAL discussions? How could I let my little guy suffer through "blended literacy" when we have dyslexia swimming in our gene pool???

I don't delegate well - with my kid's academic training, their character development or their socialization.

I'm so glad you said this. ;) I sense the same thing in myself. It was there before we homeschooled, but then when I had one child go into ps *after* we'd started homeschooling, it was even more pronounced. :D

The short answer: Cuz I am a control freak with my son :)

Well, for us... my olders are back in school... but my almost 8 year old.... I just can't imagine him being in a classroom of 25+ other kids, studying our small city compared to Greek and Roman gods... and all the other things that excite an 8 yr old boy. He's little; he has time to figure out later that some don't find Ancient History exciting, or that they have to copy down sentences that don't make sense... etc.... :) He's just 8; he's too little to find out that some kids have to ask to go to the restroom, or have an apple in the middle of the day... Maybe when he's older.... And when I'm not able to teach him anymore.... or find other teachers... OR maybe... when our local schools start teaching Latin and Logic... guess I don't have to worry there!! ;)

God told me I can do a better job than the government.

:iagree: not to mention that I went to the public schools here in town. I was unprepared for college, the curriculum is far too concerned with not irritating anyone and the schools are downright violent. The stories my neighbors tell me make me shudder!

Indvidualized education. One size does not fit all.

:iagree:

It was made very apparent to us this year that public school education is "once size fits all" UNLESS you are "gifted" or "special needs". My DD cannot learn at the same pace as all the rest in the box; so she was left behind [from my perspective], but the school could do nothing to "help" her and it was left up to me. So I pulled her out. NOW she can take her time, re read and take a few days, weeks to "get it" with out being made to feel stupid or be re tested so many times you just start filling in the circles.

Edited by my3luvbugs990105

It is what God wanted for us. When we first started my stepdd was finishing 1st grade, doing well academically, and excelling in ps. We knew hs existed, but had never met anyone that actually did it until we started a certain church. We started noticing several teenagers that were different...in a good way. We gradually learned that each and every one was hsed. So, my late dh asked me to research it. I did and determined that it definitely sounded like the best way to educate a child. But, it took much prayer and guidance before we knew it was what He wanted for OUR family. When we were sure, WE WERE SURE!!!

I even made sure that my current dh would have no problems with our continuing to hs all current and future dc before I proceeded into a relationship with him. I know God brought me here, he still confirms this. Therefore, I knew I could not marry someone that disagreed.