Menu

If you had an only child, would you used a boxed curriculum?

JRmommy

Sonlight, MFW, and HOD all appeal to me in one way or another. However, it seems as though these are more geared to families with multiple children. Is this accurate? Would it be a wise financial choice to purchase one of these all-in-one programs? I have already chosen math and language arts curricula. If I decided to go with one of these boxed curricula, I'd only be using the bible, history, and book lists, and maybe whatever "extra stuff" they provide (art, etc.). I do like having lessons planned out for me, but I do appreciate a little flexibility if I wanted to go at a different pace or even replace a recommended book with one of my choice. I don't mind making my own lesson plans, but as a Homeschooling mom with only one year under her belt, I wouldn't mind having it all laid out for me at least for the next year or so to give me a boost of confidence. So what says the hive? I don't want to purchase a boxed curriculum for my only child if it doesn't make financial sense.

Well, I have only one and there are several reasons we haven't yet done an all-in-one curriculum yet:

expense

she's on different levels in different subjects

I like to pick and choose, as well as modify

I have used part of several of the boxed curricula. I like k12's literature, for instance, but the grammar, spelling and vocabulary that comes with it aren't the right levels for us. Their middle school history is good, but I'm mixing up the levels to have a WTM rotation. I have used some of Sonlight's lists and suggestions as jumping off places for history. If you like something like Sonlight, see if you can pick up an IG used and give it a try. Even new, I think they have a money-back guarantee that is pretty generous.

If you have a venue to easily resell materials, some of the boxed ones seem to hold their value pretty well.

Edited by KarenNC

We used a box curriculum for our first three years (1st-3rd grade). We switched because of the curriculum, not because it was boxed. My son is all over grade level wise, I decided I didn't like scripted and preplanned lessons, and we wanted to expand into subjects this curriculum didn't offer.

I think what curriculum you chose should be guided by what educational path you want to take, not whether you have an only child.

Yes I would still use HOD if I only had one child. HOD can be resold, and you can use the proceeds for the next level. One thing I love about HOD is that she uses multiple resources, so you aren't stuck with everything from one publisher like Abeka. Also the guides are flexible as far as math, and LA placement.

I'm going to use MFW-ECC for my only ds next year. I just decided to choose something that fit us and not worry. I like things planned out and guided, so that will be good for me. I would choose this if I had one or many! I will just adapt anything that's to be done in a group situation to us doing it together as a family, like the geography game.

Wishing you the best in choosing!:001_smile:

homemama

I only have one child and am brand new to HSing. I thought Little Hearts would be perfect for us. It probably is. I mean, it's everything I want ... but we're not perfect for IT. Within a month I had fallen away from the schedule - ahead in some things, behind in others. I found it easier to just plan week by week on my own. I bought the curriculum knowing what kind of person I am, but wanting to get a feel for how to do it "for real" before I branched out on my own :tongue_smilie:

I have one and use HOD. HOD is geared well to one or to a small age group. MFW geared towards larger gaps, but not in the early years (K and 1st and Adv).

I've use a box all the time. In Pre-K I tried Sonlight, but it didn't work for us, then moved to MFW K and 1st, 1st moved too quick. For first I used a reading program and made the rest into my own unit studies with crafts.

But really I just needed the help and the game plan. If you don't, I wouldn't buy one.

I only have one child and am brand new to HSing. I thought Little Hearts would be perfect for us. It probably is. I mean, it's everything I want ... but we're not perfect for IT. Within a month I had fallen away from the schedule - ahead in some things, behind in others. I found it easier to just plan week by week on my own. I bought the curriculum knowing what kind of person I am, but wanting to get a feel for how to do it "for real" before I branched out on my own :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, no curriculum box will be a perfect fit. You will be tweaking. I find programs that let you pick your own reading program and math program and even english (use theirs or your own) will let your child work at their own pace. I don't think my only ever was spot on every unit. Not even in grammar. I use HOD, a different math, and reading program.

My son is all over grade level wise, I decided I didn't like scripted and preplanned lessons, and we wanted to expand into subjects this curriculum didn't offer.

I haven't used boxed, but have found not only is kiddo all over the map, his worst subjects have become his better subjects. Plus, my TEACHING is all over the map. For math: give me bare bones SM. For writing, give me scripted WWE. The former is very logical, the latter, more squishy, and I need support.

If I had one there is no stinkin way I'd use a box. The world would be my oyster. I would make up the most awesome schooling plan ever.

Yes, this is my daily struggle. :D I want the whole world for ds, it's trying to pare it down that is the difficult part. :lol::lol:

I only have one child and have to say that although I have sometimes looked at (and have even drooled over) boxed curriculum, I have not succumbed. I always come back to the same thing...You see, my greatest help has been from TWTM and that is the main thing that I need. I really like to put together a mix of the recommended curricula from TWTM. Along with this I have been using TOG with TWTM and find that it works beautifully. TOG, which is designed for large families, also works well for just one student. I've found that it is extremely helpful to me in many ways as it gives me additional tools to teach TWTM way. Another thing I like about both of these programs is that I can place my dd at the proper level for each subject and don't have to stay within a package.

This reminds me of buying art supplies. As an art teacher and an artist, I've discovered that buying sets of paints or other materials ends up being too limiting. Whenever I've bought a set of paints, for instance, there are colors that I end up not using. Just like art supplies, I'd rather pick and choose my own set of curriculum and make my own package deal. That way I don't end up with something that ends up not being used.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Sonlight, MFW, and HOD all appeal to me in one way or another. However, it seems as though these are more geared to families with multiple children. Is this accurate? Would it be a wise financial choice to purchase one of these all-in-one programs? I have already chosen math and language arts curricula. If I decided to go with one of these boxed curricula, I'd only be using the bible, history, and book lists, and maybe whatever "extra stuff" they provide (art, etc.). I do like having lessons planned out for me, but I do appreciate a little flexibility if I wanted to go at a different pace or even replace a recommended book with one of my choice. I don't mind making my own lesson plans, but as a Homeschooling mom with only one year under her belt, I wouldn't mind having it all laid out for me at least for the next year or so to give me a boost of confidence. So what says the hive? I don't want to purchase a boxed curriculum for my only child if it doesn't make financial sense.

We're using just the history/lit portion of Sonlight 6 this year and it has been a great year. I'd like to think it would've been a great year if I had an only, too. If your budget it extremely tight, then, no--it wouldn't be a wise choice. But if you've got wiggle room, then I would say it could be a very wise choice (especially since Sonlight resells well, and you wouldn't feel tempted to hang onto it for another kid coming up the line). With SL, you could go with their 4 day schedule, which would give you wiggle room in a typical school year, or do the 5 day schedule and just take however long you want to get through it.

I wouldn't do well with a boxed curriculum that forced me to purchase language arts or math, because we already have our groove on those subjects and I don't want to change, but I'd feel guilty if I paid a lot of money and wasn't using it all.

If I had one there is no stinkin way I'd use a box. The world would be my oyster. I would make up the most awesome schooling plan ever.

:iagree: LOL - I sometimes think of the fun that could be had just catering to one child's needs! My kids are all over the boards so boxed curriculum would not work for them anyway. I very much like the flexibility of using things from many sources. I think it's cheaper too.

No. I like the option of customizing each subject to meet the need and level of each individual child.

But, really, you can still do this with a "boxed" curriculum. At least you can with SL. For us, SL is history, lit, reading and science. The science could easily be dropped for something else if it wasn't a good fit. I pick out separate math, spelling, writing, and grammar programs for each of my kids and tailor things to their needs. I think that most people who use SL do this.

To the OP, I would still use SL if I only had one child. It's an incredibly enjoyable way to learn and gives me a time to do something fun each day with my kids. That wouldn't change if I only had one child. I've never seen HOD, so I can't really comment on that program.

Now, if I had only my daughter, I seriously consider using AWOA for a couple of years. That is a curriculum where all the subjects are integrated, except math, but it wouldn't be a good fit for my son. So, I might actually be more likely to pick a fully integrated program because I might be able to find something that would fit that one child perfectly.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Absolutely not! I only have one child and i LOVE customizing and picking just what works for him for each subject... :)

Yes, but with something like SL, your signature line could look the same except you would trade out SOTW for SL. You could trade out your sciences for SL, but you certainly wouldn't need to.

Of course, I'm not suggesting you use SL instead of SOTW. Just trying to explain how SL does not really operate as a fully integrated program for most people.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I came in all ready to say "NO WAY!", then I read your definition of a boxed curriculum which is quite different than mine. I think of a boxed curriculum as K12, BJU, Abeka, AO, Calvert, etc. I wouldn't use any of those with only one child.

However, I love Sonlight and if I had one child who learned well from reading, then YOU BET, I would use it. Of course I use it with only two. I don't really think SL is a good fit for people with a lot of children. They usually end up having to do more than one Core which gets messy!

We use HOD and it's geared for either one child (or 2 or more that are very close in age). We also tweak it a bit without any problems...it's very easy to substitute 3Rs programs or add extra programs. At the higher levels, I probably won't do this as much because there are many more resources being used.

The best thing about using these type of programs with one child? You can sell them when you're done (and help pay for the next level)...not hold onto them for years like I'll have to! :tongue_smilie:

I have an only and we have used Sonlight in varying degrees from the beginning. I don't think of it as "boxed" curriculum though. I use only the history/lit part and add in my "own" math, science, scriptures, etc. Sometimes I used the recommendations of Sonlight and sometimes I don't. The last two years we have used Sonlight 7 (I divided it in two). It was too hard for my barely average reader. Next year we will do Sonlight 100, but I will still do some of it as read alouds although that is not the way it is written.

See, I don't think of those as "boxed curricula." To me (if I even used the word "curriculum," which I rarely do) it's school-in-a-box if you buy a box of books from Christian Liberty Press, or BJUP, or ABeka, or Alpha Omega, or any other school textbook publisher.

Sonlight, MFW, et al, are different. They are written for (and usually by) homeschoolers. If I had an only, and one of those appealed to me because of content, or methodology, or whatever, of course I'd buy it.

First-I don't think of Sonlight as a boxed curriculum in the way Calvert is a boxed curriculum. Second-if I had an only child I would still try to use what ever the best curriculum was for that child no matter how multi-child friendly it was.

:iagree: I would still use SL if I had an only child. I don't feel boxed in at all with SL. I still use an eclectic mix of LA, math, and other subjects. I love the SL books selections and it allows me more time to customize the already great program. The biggest downside is that it would be more expensive/child because I wouldn't be reusing it with another dc.

I came in all ready to say "NO WAY!", then I read your definition of a boxed curriculum which is quite different than mine. I think of a boxed curriculum as K12, BJU, Abeka, AO, Calvert, etc. I wouldn't use any of those with only one child.

:iagree:except I wouldn't use any of those regardless of how many dc I had. :D

However, I love Sonlight and if I had one child who learned well from reading, then YOU BET, I would use it. Of course I use it with only two. I don't really think SL is a good fit for people with a lot of children. They usually end up having to do more than one Core which gets messy!

:iagree:

Thank you all for so many responses. Of course, I wish I could revise the title of this thread. I didn't know what to call Sonlight, HOD, and MFW other than boxed curricula. I should have clearly defined it as a literature based curriculum because in each one of them, you can still use your choice of math, language arts, etc. I definitely wasn't referring to a boxed curriculum like Calvert. I wouldn't use that type of box curriculum on one child nor 10! :) Sorry for the confusion!

My kindergartener loves reading and being read to which is why I am considering a literature based approach. Of course, I could piece it together, but as a relatively new homeschooler, I really don't know my options. Sonlight lists their read alouds and readers, but I havent been able to find the books recommended for the book basket for MFW.

Again, I appreciate all of the comments. Feel free to share more based on the above information. I am still undecided! :-)

My kindergartener loves reading and being read to which is why I am considering a literature based approach. Of course, I could piece it together, but as a relatively new homeschooler, I really don't know my options. Sonlight lists their read alouds and readers, but I havent been able to find the books recommended for the book basket for MFW.

:-)

One of the biggest differences betwen SL and MFW is scheduling. Many (if not all) of the SL books are listed in the MFW book basket. SL schedules each and every book. MFW gives you a list and you choose the pacing and the books that you read. What is your preference?

Both SL and MFW will give you the basic structure of your day for history/science but then you get to add in the particulars for LA/Math. SL is more structured and more expensive than MFW. You can always do MFW but purchase the extra books from SL if you prefer.

I used SL for 5 years with my olders and then planned out the rest of their school years. SL wasn't the best fit for my oldest son but my oldest dd loved it. IF she had been an only I would have kept using SL. I'm currently using MFW with my younger kids. I would use MFW regardless of how many children I was homeschooling.

I really like having a pre-planned curriculum! Some people really enjoy the lesson planning aspect of homeschooling. I don't. I like having a good portion of our day planned out for us but I also want to be able to use my own choices for LA/Math. I found the micro-scheduling of SL tiresome. I don't really want each and every book I read to be schedule to the paragragh. I also want the option to combine kids so MFW is the winner for us.

Both SL or MFW would work for your book-loving child. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either if you would like to have something planned out for you.

HTH

First-I don't think of Sonlight as a boxed curriculum in the way Calvert is a boxed curriculum.

:iagree:

I know it's small in the grand scheme of things, so I can laugh at myself, but it drives me nuts when people refer to SL and WP and other lit based programs as "boxed." Boxed makes me think of programs where every subject is included and there is a schedule and hand holding for all of it.

I only use the lit and history portion of SL. Sometimes science. But even if I purchased the Newcomers option, that comes with math and LA as well, I still wouldn't consider it boxed, because you can still use each subject independently of each other, at your child's pace. There is no general schedule where you would feel off kilter if you were ahead in math, but behind in LA.

SL has worked well for my only, but I freely admit that the schedule isn't at all adhered to-I use the books, and the sequence, and many of the activities, but some things that they expect to take two weeks might take one, and others 3. I don't feel any more boxed in by SL than I do by Singapore Math or by CAP language materials, or anything else with a sequence. And since I work part-time from home while homeschooling, having an idea of what the road is, before I go off it, is very helpful!

Thank you all for so many responses. Of course, I wish I could revise the title of this thread. I didn't know what to call Sonlight, HOD, and MFW other than boxed curricula. I should have clearly defined it as a literature based curriculum because in each one of them, you can still use your choice of math, language arts, etc. I definitely wasn't referring to a boxed curriculum like Calvert. I wouldn't use that type of box curriculum on one child nor 10! :) Sorry for the confusion!

Again, I appreciate all of the comments. Feel free to share more based on the above information. I am still undecided! :-)

Oh...this is for a 5yo?

Oh, well, then, I definitely would't spend a truckload of money, especially since you already have English skills and math materials chosen.

My vote would be to work on phonics, arithmetic and whatnot, and just do history and science with library books and field trips and so on. Truly, you do not need an uber-organized course of study for a 5yo.

That gives you a whole 'nother year to figure out what to do with a 6yo. :D

Just wanted to apologize. I had not seen your comment before I posted and then ran out the door to take my kids to the park. We just got back and I had left my computer up and finished reading the rest of the thread and saw this comment, so I'm sorry I contributed to you feeling jumped on about your wording. I know how that can feel.

If I had one yes I'd use a boxed curriculum. I've tried that with having three and its way to much and much never got done,. But when I homeschooled 1 or 2 it was possible.

I don't have the motivation to make my own curriculum. But then I can't think about something like that with having four children either. LOL

It all depends on what you want. I don't think boxed curriculum are meant for multiple kids. LOL

I have one child and we use HOD. We love it! I was a new homeschooler and wanted something planned out for me. I also enjoying planning and have thought several times about doing my own thing. I never have though because we love HOD so much and we would both miss it if we didn't use it. And, I would be worried that I wouldn't include everything he needed. So, I used HOD and know that all my bases are covered. And, since HOD doesn't take that much time with only one (LHFHG takes us about 1 hour & 15 minutes most days), I have plenty of extra time to make library trips, find unit studies, etc to add on things that peak his interest.